CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I'm still an advocator to get rid of user rep but still maintain individual post rep. People tend to avoid disagreeing with those who have high rep and it offers no benefit to discussion. Though I see nothing wrong with the gifs or whatnot. It's a video game forum, not a serious political discussion. It's okay to have relaxed and fun posts.

the gifs are not the issue, its the salty posts that usually are used with gifs to underline the statement

gifs in general are usually funny and help to spread a nice mood within the forum, though they can also be used for the contrary which is what i tried to say

these salty posts might need a bit more of a close look with further actions against these posters

again this is just a thought on how to get the forum more balanced and appealing towards the devs if this is what the forum board would like to achieve :)

the restructuring of the halo sub-forum would be another suggestion

Does anyone here believe that Halo can become at least somewhat popular(top 5 played consistently) again without going back to the original formula? By original formula, I mean no abilities or any other gimmicks that can be viewed as game breaking. Furthermore, does anyone believe that 343 would ever be willing to develop a new classic Halo experience?

Are you talking about this post?

http://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/5443-halo-5-guardians-discussion/page-3427?do=findComment&comment=623080

I'm still an advocator to get rid of user rep but still maintain individual post rep. People tend to avoid disagreeing with those who have high rep and it offers no benefit to discussion. Though I see nothing wrong with the gifs or whatnot. It's a video game forum, not a serious political discussion. It's okay to have relaxed and fun posts.

Yeah that post and other posts earlier today I believe

Whale whale whale, I utterly despise stat padder types in Warzone. Those guys who team up in groups of 12, capture each base, then proceed to just draw the game out, without going for the core. They're right behind Lt Wasp on my least favorite things about this game.  :lxthul:

There's a name I thought I wouldn't hear for ages lol

ANYHOW, how exactly do you know 100% for sure we don't? Just curious.

Extremely laggy games and games ending when the host quits.

Playing with my thumbless irl friends. Played 1-2 Onyx's, a BUNCH of platinum and golds, and a few diamonds. 

KDA 15.6, only 6 wins... got Onyx 17-something

I REALLY don't get this ranking system. I lost 4 games against platinums, golds, etc. I thought for sure I'd get plat or lower since who we lost to.

Is KDA everything?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Playing with my thumbless irl friends. Played 1-2 Onyx's, a BUNCH of platinum and golds, and a few diamonds. 

I REALLY don't get this ranking system. I lost 4 games against platinums, golds, etc. I thought for sure I'd get plat or lower since who we lost to.

Is KDA everything?

I won 9, kda i think was 3.5, i got gold so yeah...

• Upvote (+1) 1

how would oddball even work in h5? i imagine thrust throwing would be the new criticism and it wouldnt even be worth it.

i do miss assault and koth.

• Upvote (+1) 1

how would oddball even work in h5? i imagine thrust throwing would be the new criticism and it wouldnt even be worth it.

I would like if there was just no throwing at all. The no-throw Ball mod from Halo 4 was fun.

Is KDA everything?

Got 3/10 wins running solo in Breakout, mostly against gold and platnums, with these stats

6be7f7ab64.png

Got put in silver.... so no, I don't think kda means much lol

Does anyone here believe that Halo can become at least somewhat popular(top 5 played consistently) again without going back to the original formula? By original formula, I mean no abilities or any other gimmicks that can be viewed as game breaking. Furthermore, does anyone believe that 343 would ever be willing to develop a new classic Halo experience?

I mean we want classic Halo, but does the average gamer?  I'm not saying the average gamer doesn't want classic Halo, but I am saying we need to stop making the mistake of projecting our own interests onto them while pretending that "they're brainless casuals who will buy anything put in front of them".

The second question I think depends on how 343I chooses to interpret the "success" of Halo 5.  Was Halo 5 a failed return to roots, or did it fail because it was still too alien to its fanbase?  If the former, you best believe they're gonna double down hard on the gimmicks for Halo 6.  If the latter, then maybe there's a glimmer of hope.

Most likely though I think they're just gonna do the same thing they did with Halo 5.  Take out the gimmicks of the previous title and replace them with all new gimmicks, in a never ending attempt to keep throwing ideas at the wall and see what sticks.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Yes and no.

CTF seems fine. A concern would be whether or not the current and upcoming DLC maps were designed and curated for those modes, as they (the modes) were not there at launch. I don't want 343 to half ass it like they did with BTB maps.

Just played almost 6 hours with zero lag using the Zoom Docsis 3.0 modem on TWC.

Was last night a fluke for the servers?

I REALLY don't know what to believe anymore, because tonight was incredible.  

I mean we want classic Halo, but does the average gamer? I'm not saying the average gamer doesn't want classic Halo, but I am saying we need to stop making the mistake of projecting our own interests onto them while pretending that "they're brainless casuals who will buy anything put in front of them".

I think it's a safe claim that there is a huge demand for classic Halo.. Judging from the hype of the MCC announcement. It wasn't just the competitive community that was excited for the game, it was the gaming public in general. Numerous websites and communities couldn't wait to relieve the classics and make new memories, it's a shame 343 couldn't deliver.

But I feel time is running out. The generation that grew up playing 1-3 is growing up and having new responsibilities. Pretty soon there would be no one in the halo community that remembers classic halo and reach-5 will be all they know.

I thought the ranking system's goal was to provide skill-based matches? I don't understand where the need to make a new account is. You shouldn't seek to improve through a numerical representation, but through skill and game knowledge itself. I know once I was a 50 in Halo 3, the goal was to win and learn as much as possible while maintaining that 50 and Bungie's addition of playlist EXP/progression ranks in TU2 helped incentivize that a lot. 

While the system that separates people even at the highest level is cool (Halo 5's ranks), it's pointless if some people can't find matches, because those players don't have a chance at being #1 despite being better than the other person who's not as good but keeps finding matches all the time.

In this regard, I'd much rather have matches all the time with a skill measurement ceiling than have an uncapped individual rating and being unable to find matches... but matchmaking times aside, Halo 5's system is better (minus the placement matches).

The main problem is that both shouldn't be exclusive. You can have individual ratings and fast matches, 343 is just supeeeerrrrrrrr slow on addressing it.

Your CtC series did make the system look pretty terrible, because skill-wise, the game's MMR thought you were a good champion, yet to actually get the rank you would have been better off playing worse because it was impossible for  you to find enough games to actually become one.

I honestly don't see the point in them seperating MMR and CSR in the first place, because the people with the highest MMR are going to be best players, while the players with the highest CSR could just be playing the most.

I thought the ranking system's goal was to provide skill-based matches? I don't understand where the need to make a new account is. You shouldn't seek to improve through a numerical representation, but through skill and game knowledge itself. I know once I was a 50 in Halo 3, the goal was to win and learn as much as possible while maintaining that 50 and Bungie's addition of playlist EXP/progression ranks in TU2 helped incentivize that a lot. 

While the system that separates people even at the highest level is cool (Halo 5's ranks), it's pointless if some people can't find matches, because those players don't have a chance at being #1 despite being better than the other person who's not as good but keeps finding matches all the time.

In this regard, I'd much rather have matches all the time with a skill measurement ceiling than have an uncapped individual rating and being unable to find matches... but matchmaking times aside, Halo 5's system is better (minus the placement matches).

The main problem is that both shouldn't be exclusive. You can have individual ratings and fast matches, 343 is just supeeeerrrrrrrr slow on addressing it.

Whilst I agree with you, in practice the system in Halo 3 was heavily abused with deranking. I 100% agree with the two systems not being exclusive though.

in H3, yes ... in H2 I'm pretty sure FB peaked at about 41/42 in the Team Hardcore playlist lol

I did not know that, but in MCC Snip3down is level 50 in Hardcore and Team Slayer, and that uses the Halo 2 system.

Well it supposedly does, it probably only half works.

Haven't touched H5 in a long time, but IIRC, In H5's ranking system, players can't fall out of divisions, except for champion(if you want to call it a division). Also, if they're going to have seasons, they should indicate in the player's in-game service record which ranks they were in previous seasons similar to Reach. For example, if someone put in the effort to end season 1 as Champion #5 and then season 2 as Champion #7, then there should be some sort of recognition for that.

The original Halo 2 ranking system still goes down as my favorite. I think if H2's ranking system were coupled with something similar to H3's playlist exp, then that would be more incentive for people to search on their 50's. I knew a lot of players that would search on their 50's in H3.

I 100% agree with having a reward for being Champion or anything really. There's a personal reward for being top-tier in-game but there should also be other rewards, such as (In Halo 5) Gold REQ packs, exclusive armour, exclusive weapon skins and absolutely a nice effect/border/symbol on your player card in the lobby. 

I also knew a fair few people in Halo 3 who searched on their 50's, but the problem is that the amount of people that deranked proved that the system is flawed. Whilst Halo 2's system was indeed excellent, it's flaw was not knowing how long or far until the next rank, and in the higher tiers it would take forever to rank up.

I just feel the League of Legends style ranking is the best, but as you said it needs in-game rewards for putting in the effort. I'm open to discussion on that though.

I did not know that, but in MCC Snip3down is level 50 in Hardcore and Team Slayer, and that uses the Halo 2 system.

Well it supposedly does, it probably only half works.

oh for sure, it was just that OG H2 had a ton of hackers ... anyone above a 40-42 was typically a hacker.  any pro could get any 50 in MCC

The overarching conclusion here doesn’t surprise anyone: Halo 4 lost players faster than Reach, which lost players faster than Halo 3, which lost players faster than Halo 2. Moreover, regardless of if you think it’s beacause the gods were angry or for some other reason, Halo 4 is, in fact, the worst performing Halo by a significant factor, by any metric, although that shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone either. Halo 2 had the best population retention out of all the games, and although it’s beaten in raw numbers by Halo 3 and Reach, adjusting for generational differences, it’s the most popular Halo.

Definitely no surprises there. 

• Upvote (+1) 6

I can't wait for 343 to spend weeks looking into and researching this problem before fixing it.

They could easily just remove Overgrowth from the game all playlists until it's fixed...

When Riot discovers a bug or exploit with a certain champion in LoL they just disable the champion until they can release a hot patch to fix it.