CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

okay lol. I guess the game having probably the strongest amount of reversals a Halo has had besides h1, How this game is way less team shot centric compared to h3, h2 or reach, how the game has exploits/mechanics that are pretty much only for aggression (Super slide, Thrust slide, Fastfall, Thrust Cancel,  etc) Where you have to be smart about it (losing Thrust in a battle is a bad move.) How unlike in H2, H3 or Reach you can take much bigger risks (aka, aggressive behavior) and come out on top because of new abilities. Thrust You cant throw it early in the battle or too late. Do it at the right time or you're messing yourself up But I guess since the game has sprint and thruster it cant have any depth at all.  

What is fastfall and thrust cancel?

i generally do not like remakes, but does anyone have any ideas on what maps from previous games would work well as a Forge remake in H5?

If you mean decent maps that are also straightforward to implement with Forge, then Countdown, The Pit, Ivory Tower and Desolation come to mind. Remaking some Halo 1.5 maps like Imminent, Outbound and Exhibit would be good too.

okay lol. I guess the game having probably the strongest amount of reversals a Halo has had besides h1

Are we playing the same game?? Reversals in this game are extremely rare, usually once a player gets the first shot on you it is usually over unless you somehow get it together and have a good strafe. I'm suprised by how little reversals I get in this game. In Halo 3 reversals were aplenty, all you had to do was check your radar toss a nade at the right time if a player is chasing you. Instead in Halo 5 if you are getting gunned down by and AR at CQC you are usually screwed off the bat. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

okay lol. I guess the game having probably the strongest amount of reversals a Halo has had besides h1, How this game is way less team shot centric compared to h3, h2 or reach, how the game has exploits/mechanics that are pretty much only for aggression (Super slide, Thrust slide, Fastfall, Thrust Cancel,  etc) Where you have to be smart about it (losing Thrust in a battle is a bad move.) How unlike in H2, H3 or Reach you can take much bigger risks (aka, aggressive behavior) and come out on top because of new abilities. Thrust You cant throw it early in the battle or too late. Do it at the right time or you're messing yourself up But I guess since the game has sprint and thruster it cant have any depth at all.  

Because lets be honest, H2 early release did not have this much depth to it in the first 2 months, nor did h3 nor did Reach. I don't think this game is uber competitive, I don't think any Halo game is in general but this game does have some depth to it. At least more than most Halos. It's actually funny, this game is actually the game with probably the most execution necessary for a Halo game  besides maybe H1. Super slides are going to be necessary at high level play and some of those are hard as hell to do, the only similar thing in a Halo game was double shot and even that wasn't used a lot. This time though, everyone is learning it.

And no one cares that you didn't buy Halo 5 yet. Like for real, do you want us to hand you a cookie for not buying a video game?

How on earth are things like super slide and fastfall "pretty much only for agression"?

Double shooting, that is a mechanic for pure agression. All the "moves" you  mentioned are movement based. The only way to use these agressively effectively is by pairing them with one of the OP no skill close range weapons, because a guy slide boosting a million miles per hour at you with a shotgun is an actual threat, while doing the same thing with a pistol is just asking for you to get slapped.

The amount of reversals you get doesn't really say much, considering I probably get 80% of my reversals when someone thinks they have the jump on me and I rock-paper-scissors them by SR'ing their pistol.

Getting into pistol vs pistol fights is doing it wrong in the first place, so the pistol skill gap ( that is vastly overstated anyways) doesn't even come to play if you are playing the game correctly.

• Upvote (+1) 2

1. No, I answered it. People have made classic settings many, many times, including myself. I even have NSA CTF in my fileshare.

2. What does a weak spawn weapon have to do with the ability to fly across the map?

You didn't answer my question at all.

Because of the weak spawn weapon you can't stop people from flying across the map. All these new, unintended movement options seem to do is further empower mechanics that were already issues in thier base variant. So how is it a good thing?

Dunno if @@Andy posted last night but he was playing Warzone with us and well, he had an interesting experience with a Rocket Launcher and a shield door.

Ytijpn8.gif

• Upvote (+1) 2

How on earth are things like super slide and fastfall "pretty much only for agression"?

Double shooting, that is a mechanic for pure agression. All the "moves" you  mentioned are movement based. The only way to use these agressively effectively is by pairing them with one of the OP no skill close range weapons, because a guy slide boosting a million miles per hour at you with a shotgun is an actual threat, while doing the same thing with a pistol is just asking for you to get slapped.

The amount of reversals you get doesn't really say much, considering I probably get 80% of my reversals when someone thinks they have the jump on me and I rock-paper-scissors them by SR'ing their pistol.

Getting into pistol vs pistol fights is doing it wrong in the first place, so the pistol skill gap ( that is vastly overstated anyways) doesn't even come to play if you are playing the game correctly.

Aggression as in 'pushing'. who the hell will use it as strafe? lol cmon. And its RARE to see someone use it to run away. its 99% offensive.

Why NOT remake bad maps? I've been saying this for a while now, why not take bad maps and try to make them good, instead of taking great maps and making them worse?

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't know why you're grouping Quake/UT with CS fans. The communities pretty much hate each other. It used to be Quake vs UT. When CS came out, no one took the game competitively because of the dumbed down movements, then when Valve bought it, they promoted it to hell and back and it mainly got popular because of mod support more-so than the game itself. It was until the late 2000's until those who grew up with CS that the game was taken seriously competitively. Now the Quake and UT communities respect each other and just talk shit on CS fans.

Yes, Halo was considered "my first FPS" for a while but once CS started becoming more popular in terms of competitive play, Halo (the first 3 games) got a lot more respect from the Quake/UT fans because compared to CS, it at least still maintained the vertacility, long TTK, and weapon mechanic variety. Basically, Halo was considered a bad move at the time but with how the industry is now, the Quake/UT fans realized that the first three Halo games weren't as bad as they could be.

In all my time playing CS I've never heard or seen anyone shit talk Quake or UT. I can understand why oldschool AFPS would be salty but it's not a two-way thing, the Counter-Strike community at large couldn't give a shit about some elitist silly bullshit from the late 90's.

I'd also be very surprised if Halo was getting props, most elite gamers won't be able to stomach the controller / auto-aim aspect. 

We're still on this?

The game gives you all the tools you need to adjust the balance of power between headshot weapons and not headshot weapons, it's your problem as a community if you're too lazy to use them

How are custom games going to help a community when the developer refuses to use them and they're in control of everything?

What is fastfall and thrust cancel?

Check out the meta thread, thrust cancel is basically holding rt after you thrust to shoot sooner than normal while fastfall is thrusting+sliding at edges and ramps. 

I just hate halo 5. That's all there is to it.

For every good quality H5 has going for it, (and there are good qualities, not saying there aren't), there are two other qualities which nullify everything about the good qualities.

Frankly, I just think H5 is an ugly game. This is obviously true when speaking of the game artistically, but it's just as ugly in spirit as well. Nobody seems to care about that point. ugh

• Upvote (+1) 9

TIL double shooting is strictly used aggressively.

I remember is mainly being used when you realized you were down a shot or 2 as a last ditch effort to not die.

So I picked up Blops 3 on boxing day.

Here are the reasons I believe it is crushing H5 population wise.

- The game is insanely dense in terms of content. There's just soooo much stuff. Everywhere. Stuff and more stuffs. H5 is incredibly barebones in comparison.

- The MM restrictions are very loose resulting in a fun, social experience. Pretty much every game features some good players, mediocre players and some bad players. Games can be close but they never feel competitive or frustrating.(for reference im a very average player)

-The gameplay places an emphasis on retaining the ability to shoot at all times. I find it hilariously sad that a COD game puts more emphasis on this than a Halo game does.

• Upvote (+1) 8
  • Downvote (-1) 1

TIL double shooting is strictly used aggressively.

I remember is mainly being used when you realized you were down a shot or 2 as a last ditch effort to not die.

That is aggression lol. It gave you an option to remain in the fight and try to stay alive instead of encouraging you to try and break off and flee.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Not sure this is obviously true at all.

Artistically is subjective but technically speaking H5 is a fugly game.

Not sure this is obviously true at all.

I meant as a Halo game, which is completely subjective. But seriously, talk to people outside of the reddit/waypoint/beyond camps. Once I stepped outside of the "halo reservations", the opinions I've been seeing are far less kind than what we pretend people think about the game. 

Artistically is subjective but technically speaking H5 is a fugly game.

I can see an argument being made for graphical prowess/fidelity (basically the visuals, not including art) but no gamer should ever speak down, technically, about a game that has LOCKED 60fps, especially on the Xbox one. It's impressive as hell.

Unless, by technically, you meant mechanics? Idk.

I can see an argument being made for graphical prowess/fidelity (basically the visuals, not including art) but no gamer should ever speak down, technically, about a game that has LOCKED 60fps, especially on the Xbox one. It's impressive as hell.

Unless, by technically, you meant mechanics? Idk.

The game plays better because of 60fps but it looks ugly as hell.