CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

So I just raged from having SHITTY teammates in dubs. Palmed my keyboard twice, then threw it to the wall at full speed. F1 F2 F3 and F4 keys are gone. My left thumb seems to not move as well as before now. wtf. now my walking wont be as accurate.

solos HAVE to match solos.

• Downvote (-1) 3

I was looking up this timeless classic for another forum and thought I might post it here as well..3 years and the problems might have changed, sadly, the mindset hasn't...

[...]
"We had people who we hired who hated Halo because of 'X,'" says O'Connor. "But what that really meant was, 'I feel like this game could be awesome because of 'Y input' that I'm going to bring into it.
[...]
For Halo 4, he says there were a few epiphany moments that helped boost the morale of the team. One of the earlier ones that Holmes recalls was when the team completed a small piece of the Halo experience that he described as a "very traditional" Halo. User research showed that people thought it was a lot of fun, and it showed that the team was capable of making a Halo game that was true to what the series was about.

343 scrapped it, Holmes says, as it was too traditional. But that first build showed the new team that this amalgamation of different studio cultures could work together and achieve a common goal.

A year later, 343 had finished the first mission for Halo 4. [...]

• Upvote (+1) 2

I was looking up this timeless classic for another forum and thought I might post it here as well..3 years and the problems might have changed, sadly, the mindset hasn't...

how much you want to bet it wasn't even all that traditional?
  • Upvote (+1) 4

So I just raged from having SHITTY teammates in dubs. Palmed my keyboard twice, then threw it to the wall at full speed. F1 F2 F3 and F4 keys are gone. My left thumb seems to not move as well as before now. wtf. now my walking wont be as accurate.

keyboard abuse isn't a joke

Every hour a keyboard is beaten or abused, Just $5 a month can stop keyboard abuse. Please help these defenceless keyboards, sometimes baby keyboards are neglected and left in a drawer. Thank You

• Upvote (+1) 5

343 scrapped it, Holmes says, as it was too traditional.

How is that even a reason? I could go mad about this quote everytime I see it. They could just as good have said "It wasn't a shitty rip off from other popular games shoehorned into a Halo game, so we scrapped it".

Watch out @@Frankie and friends will call you out on this, it's apparently "out of context" and they were "referring to a campaign mission" with that second quote.

Doesn't change the fact that people like Kevin Franklin have obviously never played a Halo game besides maybe Reach pre-TU.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Nice work @@Favyn, all my complaints in video form

Meh... I don't understand the need to try and win every battle as though fundamentally on every level it is the wrong choice. Free global DLC and encouragement for the developer to continue supporting the game post launch is a great positive, shunning it off because it didn't quite live up to expectation cheapens the argument.

Also the idea that only one system can actually be implemented is nonsense when this game and previous titles have multiple reward systems alongside one another e.g. REQ + ranking systems in H5. REQ currently encompasses armour, emblems, weapon skins and Warzone weapons, these are separate entities that don't necessarily require the exact same system to function. You could quite easily have armour or emblems tied to achievements and still have the REQ system function perfectly well with the remaining categories. Not all systems have to work perfectly towards representing a full fleshed out character or community interaction, some systems are designed to be superfluous background noise a perfect example would be classic XP ranks/systems that usually mean fuck all.

EDIT; We need a bot for when people pull old out of context quotes out of the closet...

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Feeling like Halo doesn't have to mean exactly like or a copy of CE or 2 or 3. There were definitely fundamental art styles, movement types, weapons, enemies, controller settings and just a general feel to how aiming or movement felt that served as a mostly consistent undercurrent to bungie Halo. Outside of the new jarring additions that 343 adds to their games what really sets them apart is the fact that they aren't bungie and is why their games don't feel like the Halo that people are usually referring to. You just know which company made the game simply by playing it for a few moments. A good example is how many people say the aiming feels heavy in H5. What does it feel heavy in comparison to? Exactly. One more "Halo" feel bites the dust. Its these little things that they suddenly change and maybe even unknowingly change that make their games feel different.

I recently picked up Halo 5 to play it for myself and put in about 12 hours worth of gameplay within the past 2 days playing only the FFA playlist. I can understand why a lot of people have been complaining about the aiming in this game feeling heavy. I'm having a lot of trouble finishing my kills, but I don't know if its because I haven't held a controller in 10 months or I was playing Halo 5 with a wireless controller. I also don't claw so I'm not sure if getting a Scuf is a necessity.

One other thing, the FFA playlist in Halo 5 has me raging the most I've ever have in any Halo game and I'm usually calm person. Radar is a problem.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

After watching the force awakens god I hope halo takes some notes.

Star wars and halo are eerily similiar.

Star wars had a classic trilogy that was beloved and put on a well deserved pedestal.

A new trilogy was then created. It tried to be new and sleek. It tried to keep up the industry and the times. Its popularity and overall reception was much lower than expected. Some people blamed a "changed industry" or "increased competition" while others knew it was simply due to the fact that the new trilogy had lost the essence of what made the originals so good.

Then along comes the force awakens which just feels like star wars. Like the original trilogy. The only criticism it recieves is that its maybe too similiar to a new hope(as if thats bad).It crushes. Destroys records. Its critically acclaimed.

Will halo ever get its force awakens or are we stuck with jar jar binks forever?

I get where you're coming from but comparing the two is almost impossible. You're not doing either franchise a favor by trying to compare them to each other.

I wouldn't hate on it for the story, but I do to a point dislike how it played it way too safe. It's one thing to keep identity and move forward, and another to have a literal carbon copy of the predecessor to your movie/game, etc. That doesn't detract from my enjoyment of it, or anything, but it bothers me about how this was basically Episode IV II, rather than being a trend-setting Episode VII. Could've had something like the Thrawn Trilogy, or the like, and still had a GREAT movie but we didn't get it. To me, it was a great movie, as I just said, but it was also a very large missed opportunity.

If they would have changed it anymore than they did, it would have been hated.

Its just human nature. People hate change. When they like something, they don't want it to change.

Feeling like Halo doesn't have to mean exactly like or a copy of CE or 2 or 3. There were definitely fundamental art styles, movement types, weapons, enemies, controller settings and just a general feel to how aiming or movement felt that served as a mostly consistent undercurrent to bungie Halo. Outside of the new jarring additions that 343 adds to their games what really sets them apart is the fact that they aren't bungie and is why their games don't feel like the Halo that people are usually referring to. You just know which company made the game simply by playing it for a few moments. A good example is how many people say the aiming feels heavy in H5. What does it feel heavy in comparison to? Exactly. One more "Halo" feel bites the dust. Its these little things that they suddenly change and maybe even unknowingly change that make their games feel different.

I've posted this before, but playing on forge maps for the past week feels considerably more like Halo than the jumbled messes we got as dev maps.

Some traditional Covenant geometry goes a long way.

Not a terrible comparison

Episode I was a huge, huge letdown...Reach

Episode II was the worst thing ever made by a human...Halo 4

Episode III is mostly shit but there are some things that are deeeeeeecent? ...Halo 5

reach was always return of the jedi for me, where its got some really annoying shit in it but it was enjoyable despite that. also where does cea fit into this?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Not a terrible comparison

Episode I was a huge, huge letdown...Reach

Episode II was the worst thing ever made by a human...Halo 4

Episode III is mostly shit but there are some things that are deeeeeeecent? ...Halo 5

Halo 6: The Ring Awakens #WeBACK

• Upvote (+1) 5

Halo 6: The Ring Awakens #WeBACK

or its that animated clone wars movie that spawned the not piece of shit tv show.

reach was always return of the jedi for me, where its got some really annoying shit in it but it was enjoyable despite that. also where does cea fit into this?

some special edition/bluray/whatsoever release that changed various stuff for no reason

• Upvote (+1) 5

How is Overgrowth not fixed or at least removed yet? You can still go out of map at two spots and it shows up in Doubles every second game. And can we please change the on map weapons and make the map at least half playable this way?

People just quit the build when the map shows up. Thats how bad it is.

So is Bungie pre remastered edition Lucas and 343 post remastered edition Lucas?

• Upvote (+1) 1

How is Overgrowth not fixed or at least removed yet? You can still go out of map at two spots and it shows up in Doubles every second game. And can we please change the on map weapons and make the map at least half playable this way?

People just quit the build when the map shows up. Thats how bad it is.

it's amazing a professional map designer put this out, it's literally just a cluttered, random, glitched mess.

God, I'm watching beta gameplay of myself and I can SEE how much better the aiming was back then. It's easily present in the twitching aiming.

God, I'm watching beta gameplay of myself and I can SEE how much better the aiming was back then. It's easily present in the twitching aiming.

Yep, how can we raise enough hell to 344 so they can give an option to go back to Beta Aiming?
  • Upvote (+1) 1

The absolute worst thing in Halo 5 is FFA on Overgrowth.

I really hate Empire and The Rig, but Overgrowth and its weapon placements are on a completely different level. 

I know it's totes cool to hate on Halo maps, but out of H3, Reach, H4, and H5, I think the only map that compares to Overgrowth in terms or pure shit gameplay is Sword Base. I'm pretty generous to Halo in these kinds of areas. I don't get on Guardian or the pit for stalling out, I didn't shit on Abandon for being too top mid nade centric, I can look past certain flaws in maps like Reflection, Epitaph, and The Rig. But Overgrowth with its shotgun, sword, camo, and railgun is the worst 4v4 map outside of Sword base I've ever extensively played.

• Upvote (+1) 7