CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

So Rockets are out?

Rockets are timed power weapons that only spawn every 2-3 minutes. You know when they are spawning, you know when they get picked up, and you generally know who has them. They also spawn on contested middle ground.

Automatics are always on the field, potentially anyone and everyone can have them, you don't know when they are picked up or not, people will spawn closer to them, they are on uncontested ground, etc.

I'm ok with weapons being powerful as a reward for earning them, but I'm not ok with people that spawn with automatics or spawn closer to pick up automatics on uncontested ground being given an advantage at a certain range because their weapon is significantly easier to use. I have the same opinion on BRs/Carbines/Light Rifles giving players advantages for doing absolutely nothing other than walking 5 feet and picking them up.

It's really not even close to the same thing.

• Upvote (+1) 2

So the last major week before Christmas top sales list over in the UK looks like this. Sadly there's not a single Halo 5 game in the top 10, it's at #13 and it's at #7 on the top 20 for Xbox One sales.

https://www.chart-track.co.uk/index.jsp?c=p/software/uk/latest/index_test.jsp&ct=110041

All formats

1. Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 / Activision

2. Star Wars Battlefront / EA

3. FIFA 16 / EA

4. Fallout 4 / Bethesda

5. Minecraft: Story Mode / Telltale Games

6. Assassin's Creed: Syndicate / Ubisoft

7. Just Cause 3 / Square Enix

8. Grand Theft Auto V / Take 2

9. Rainbow Six: Siege / Ubisoft

10. Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection / Sony

Individual formats

1. Star Wars Battlefront / PS4

2. Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 / PS4

3. Fallout 4 / PS4

4. Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 / Xbox One

5. Fallout 4 / Xbox One

6. FIFA 16 / PS4

7. Star Wars Battlefront / Xbox One

8. Assassin's Creed: Syndicate / PS4

9. FIFA 16 / Xbox One

10. Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection / PS4

• Upvote (+1) 4

So, I've been following this thread (and lurking the forums) since the beginning, but this is actually my first post here. I've actually ran into a fair few of you whilst searching. Think I got stomped by the Beyond Warzone squad the other night. I remember @@Moa doming me a few times.

I just kinda wanted to point out something mad I encountered last night with the CSR/ranking system.

I loaded up the Doubles playlist with a friend of mine who isn't as "good" as I am, but we usually win games through teamwork rather than skills. FWIW, I'm an average player, spent some time with the EU competitive scene (no competitive LAN XP, just social).

Anyway, we played 10 games, all of them together, fresh start for us both. W7 L3, the only 10 games of doubles I've played since the update. During the course of the games, I consistently do better than my team-mate in the majority of the games. We get to the end of the 10 games and he says "I got plat".

After the final game I'm sat there waiting for my stats to update so I can see what rank I got. I got gold. I kinda carried him through a couple of the games, some were more even, for sure, but if he got Plat I was at least expecting at absolute minimum we would get placed in the same division.

GG.

You can view my game history and stats for the placement games here : https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-gb/games/halo-5-guardians/xbox-one/game-history/players/deja89?gameModeFilter=Arena&start=0&count=10

Edit - Confirmation that we played all 10 placement games together.

Anyway, we played 10 games. W7 L3, the only 10 games of doubles I've played since the update. During the course of the games, I consistently do better than my team-mate in the majority of the games. We get to the end of the 10 games and he says "I got plat".

After the final game I'm sat there waiting for my stats to update so I can see what rank I got. I got gold. I kinda carried him through a couple of the games, some were more even, for sure, but if he got Plat I was at least expecting at absolute minimum we would get placed in the same division.

GG.

GG is right.  last time I saw that was actually in the Beta when my friend got placed Onyx and I got silver when we were both relatively similar in skill.  I guess it came down to wins and losses though, my team mates were literally 3-20 material.  Not sure why it would make you gold with 7 wins.  That's odd. 

I agree, we played every single one of our placement games together too, and in every game but one I outperformed my team-mate (as far as stats go). Is this broken or am I missing something here?

So, I've been following this thread (and lurking the forums) since the beginning, but this is actually my first post here. I've actually ran into a fair few of you whilst searching. Think I got stomped by the Beyond Warzone squad the other night. I remember @@Moa doming me a few times.

I just kinda wanted to point out something mad I encountered last night with the CSR/ranking system.

I loaded up the Doubles playlist with a friend of mine who isn't as "good" as I am, but we usually win games through teamwork rather than skills. FWIW, I'm an average player, spent some time with the EU competitive scene (no competitive LAN XP, just social).

Anyway, we played 10 games. W7 L3, the only 10 games of doubles I've played since the update. During the course of the games, I consistently do better than my team-mate in the majority of the games. We get to the end of the 10 games and he says "I got plat".

GG.

You can view my game history and stats for the placement games here : https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-gb/games/halo-5-guardians/xbox-one/game-history/players/deja89?gameModeFilter=Arena&start=0&count=10

Yep. You have a 2.0 K/D and your mate a 0.6 K/D. Played all the games together without playing one before. I mean, you placed pretty close to him Gold6 - Plat 1. But there is absolutely no reason that you should place below him. No matter what.

Something is definitly wrong with this ranking system. Maybe he or you have played the weekend doubles playlist and it did put some CSR into the mix from back then.

Welcome to the Forum :)

Not sure why it would make you gold with 7 wins.  That's odd. 

To be fair, they didnt really match any good players But he should definitly place higher than his friend.

Who could predict that giving people a rank after 10 games isnt a good idea. /s

@@mdawg your Chill Out looks amazing. Dont act like forging isnt for you. While watching the video I was often thinking I am on the original map. It looks sick, especially if you are not a experienced forger. If you dont enjoy forging, go to mm. But you definitly have some talent for forging imo. So keep it up if you enjoy forging.

Rockets are timed power weapons that only spawn every 2-3 minutes. You know when they are spawning, you know when they get picked up, and you generally know who has them. They also spawn on contested middle ground.

Automatics are always on the field, potentially anyone and everyone can have them, you don't know when they are picked up or not, people will spawn closer to them, they are on uncontested ground, etc.

I'm ok with weapons being powerful as a reward for earning them, but I'm not ok with people that spawn with automatics or spawn closer to pick up automatics on uncontested ground being given an advantage at a certain range because their weapon is significantly easier to use. I have the same opinion on BRs/Carbines/Light Rifles giving players advantages for doing absolutely nothing other than walking 5 feet and picking them up.

Not every weapon on the map needs to be contested like it's a power item to be a justifiable weapon in Halo's sandbox. Niche situational weapons can have a purpose in Halo's sandbox. Halo CE's weapon sandbox is the most ideal weapon sandbox that we have for Halo. Every item in Halo CE besides the needler serves a unique purpose. Halo CE's weapon sandbox consists of a utility weapon( the pistol), niche situational weapons(AR, PR. PP, needler, and shotgun), and power items(rockets, sniper, and power-ups).

Part of the problem with Halo 5's weapon sandbox is the fact that the utility weapon(pistol) isn't rewarding players proportionately for the amount of skill it takes to use. This results in the pistol being outclassed by every other weapon on the map. The other problem with Halo 5's sandbox is the fact that it's cluttered with redundant weapons that serve no real purpose.

Now that Halo 5's forge is out we have the ability to make a more ideal and condensed weapon sandbox akin to Halo CE's where each item on the map serves a purpose. We can put niche situational weapons on the map such as the storm rifle as long as it serves a purpose and we don't clutter the map with them. For example on the forge remake of Chill Out for Halo 5 there is a storm rifle in main room, it's there because it's serves a similar purpose akin to Halo CE's PR where it can counter OS because it melts shields very quickly. Also since we can buff the pistol with custom game settings it helps balance out the rest of the weapon sandbox. Also once we figure out how to put all items on the map on static timers without having to use weapon pads for them, players will then be able to be aware of when every item on the map is spawning(including niche weapons such as the storm rifle.)

Yep. You have a 2.0 K/D and your mate a 0.6 K/D. Played all the games together without playing one before. I mean, you placed pretty close to him Gold6 - Plat 1. But there is absolutely no reason that you should place below him. No matter what.

Something is definitly wrong with this ranking system. Maybe he or you have played the weekend doubles playlist and it did put some CSR into the mix from back then.

Welcome to the Forum :)

Aye, I'm not sure if I've played the playlist before to be completely honest, but still, agreed the level of performance difference should never warrant me placing lower than him.

I don't have many people to play this with at the moment, so if anyone would like to add me, please feel free. I'm not the best but not terrible.

TY for the welcome :)

Soooo any hints of where the gametypes fit in 343's sustain plan? Do they unlock when the population lowers to a certain point?

They unlock when the Soon™ period has ended.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

All I ask for is a single playlist with classic settings (no abilities), 4sk pistol, faster base movement, and forge maps/remakes only. God, I'd play this game for years instead of the 15 or so hours I've played thus far. I might even feel inclined to support 343 by buying REQ packs if they showed care like that to their older players.

@@TheIcePrincess fair enough. If you are taking your remake serious and want to get it out there, I think being able to say it's 100% authentic is better than changing little things like that. But I wouldn't mind it either way. How far along are you?

That'd be awesome.

I think it's safe to say the next update will and should include 2 gametypes. If it doesn't, then I'd be really disappointed in the 343. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Here's a question that I think you should ponder on. If Halo CE had forge would you want to remove the shotgun, sniper, PR(plasma rifle), plasma pistol, and AR from all of the maps? I mean they are mostly uncontested weapons that give players situational advantages over their opponent. The reason why they are uncontested is because they spawn every 30 seconds on most maps and they aren't as important as power items such as OS, Camo, and rockets.

So the last major week before Christmas top sales list over in the UK looks like this. Sadly there's not a single Halo 5 game in the top 10, it's at #13 and it's at #7 on the top 20 for Xbox One sales.

https://www.chart-track.co.uk/index.jsp?c=p/software/uk/latest/index_test.jsp&ct=110041

All formats

1. Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 / Activision

2. Star Wars Battlefront / EA

3. FIFA 16 / EA

4. Fallout 4 / Bethesda

5. Minecraft: Story Mode / Telltale Games

6. Assassin's Creed: Syndicate / Ubisoft

7. Just Cause 3 / Square Enix

8. Grand Theft Auto V / Take 2

9. Rainbow Six: Siege / Ubisoft

10. Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection / Sony

Individual formats

1. Star Wars Battlefront / PS4

2. Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 / PS4

3. Fallout 4 / PS4

4. Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 / Xbox One

5. Fallout 4 / Xbox One

6. FIFA 16 / PS4

7. Star Wars Battlefront / Xbox One

8. Assassin's Creed: Syndicate / PS4

9. FIFA 16 / Xbox One

10. Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection / PS4

Man, they're really going to have to rethink this sustain thing. If it takes them 4-5 years to make a game that has it all there with the modes, social features, et cetera than so be it. I'm so tired of this never ending decline, it's depressing as fuck. Only thing I can think to do now is for MS to just saturate the market with Halo spin offs and media entries to keep relevancy while main devs spend quite some time on the main entry. It'd be a risk, but we don't want to just slowly wimper out with less and less investments here.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Here's a question that I think you should ponder on. If Halo CE had forge would you want to remove the shotgun, sniper, PR(plasma rifle), plasma pistol, and AR from all of the maps? I mean they are mostly uncontested weapons that give players situational advantages over their opponent. The reason why they are uncontested is because they spawn every 30 seconds on most maps and they aren't as important as power items such as OS, Camo, and rockets.

The CE pistol is actually able to contest a PR or shotgun though, while the H5 pistol is outclassed by literally anything

• Upvote (+1) 5

Man, they're really going to have to rethink this sustain thing. If it takes them 4-5 years to make a game that has it all there with the modes, social features, et cetera than so be it. I'm so tired of this never ending decline, it's depressing as fuck. Only thing I can think to do now is for MS to just saturate the market with Halo spin offs and media entries to keep relevancy while main devs spend quite some time on the main entry. It'd be a risk, but we don't want to just slowly wimper out with less and less investments here.

That's just for the uk though.

How do you embed xbox clips here? I've been struggling to find a way to embed this kids video of his forge map, but it won't work.

I don't think we support embedding Xbox Clips/XboxDVR. YouTube links will auto embed, though.