CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

As per usual, thanks for your contribution

Well, your question was silly so I answered it in a silly way. Overgrowth can not be saved with a different weapon layout. Better? Sure. Competitively viable? Hell no. 

That's like asking what weapons could we have put on Sworbase, Epitaph, or Snowbound to make it playable. Why bother?

I'll be sure to be super cereal from hence forth. 

• Downvote (-1) 1

Well, your question was silly so I answered it in a silly way. Overgrowth can not be saved with a different weapon layout. Better? Sure. Competitively viable? Hell no.

That's like asking what weapons could we have put on Sworbase, Epitaph, or Snowbound to make it playable. Why bother?

I'll be sure to be super cereal from hence forth.

As per usual, thanks for showing a general

lack of reading comprehension.

I didn't use the word "saved", I asked "what would work best", aka make better, which you deemed a valid question.

So try again this time, what weapons would work best on overgrowth?

Personally I think removing camo and sword for overshield and maybe sniper would be interesting. The long hallways should provide a better area to control with good sightlines. If not, maybe a rocket launcher.

Just because something's popular doesn't make it the right idea. Remember sprint?

Personally, I absolutely hate games where one team absolutely dominates the other. 50-40 is bearable, but 50-20? Fuck that.

Besides, Halo isn't like other FPS games. BF, COD, and Titanfall are based around individual performance to farm XP, rather than wins like Halo.

I don't get the lack of an option either, but I'm pretty sure you can easily use a scripting timer. I'll check it up later.

You didn't answer the question you just gave your opinion on how you enjoy to play.

Because console gamers are infinitely more casual than PC gamers. Most don't care to get better and play tough, competitive matches, they just want to feel good about themselves when they hop on a game by padding their stats.

When I spoke with my core group of RL friends that quit the game, they see Halo as being too competitive and requiring "too much skill" to be good at. So they go play Destiny or CoD which they themselves admit hand you free kills like candy and they look at their stats after a game, see they went insanely positive and feel good, regardless of the W/L.

Exactly. And how exactly does tight skill based MM cater to these people?

It doesn't.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Looking for someone here who is good and wanna play doubles ^^

Trying to get my Onyx, and then maybe champion. I was placed in gold because I started playing the game yesterday, and didn't know the maps, or how the weapons behaved or anything but I am in platinum tier 4 now. I play much better, and I am still getting better.

I can try helping you out, I don't think I'm great or anything though but in Arena/slayer/doubles I place Onyx consistently.

Gt- xWicked Swami. Might be practicing or something though so won't be able to play all the time

As per usual, thanks for showing a general

lack of reading comprehension.

I didn't use the word "saved", I asked "what would work best", aka make better, which you deemed a valid question.

So try again this time, what weapons would work best on overgrowth?

Personally I think removing camo and sword for overshield and maybe sniper would be interesting. The long hallways should provide a better area to control with good sightlines. If not, maybe a rocket launcher.

Overgrowth? Good sight-lines? 

:huh:

Also, calm down. No need to be so defensive and take things so seriously all the time. Your layout would definitely be better btw. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Are people really trying to say social shouldn't be social? Lmao come on we need a really loose sbmm system like the other games. Yes people want to play the game that way you can literally look at Halo's history. There will always be more casual players than competitive. We NEED social playlists.

As far as fun, how can you say that, because you find close games more fun, that social playlist should be close. We have that already it's called RANKED. How is this even an argument?

• Upvote (+1) 2

It doesn't.

Why do we want to cater to these people?

I like social because I am too shy to play competitive all of the time even though I really enjoy competitive. I'm in a weird boat. I also don't have friends to play Halo with anymore so social helps with that.

Are people really trying to say social shouldn't be social? Lmao come on we need a really loose sbmm system like the other games. Yes people want to play the game that way you can literally look at Halo's history. There will always be more casual players than competitive. We NEED social playlists.

As far as fun, how can you say that, because you find close games more fun, that social playlist should be close. We have that already it's called RANKED. How is this even an argument?

Imagine if Halo 3's social playlists weren't really social and were super sweaty all the time. I know a lot of people wouldn't have played that game as much if that were the case. Even CoD would suffer if they implemented hidden ranks, people like not having to try super hard all of the time. A lot of us here like to try all of the time but that's because we're competitive and like winning first and foremost. 

We can have both guys, past games did it really well, it doesn't need to be one extreme or the other. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Why do we want to cater to these people?

Because they make up the VAST majority of players.

Overgrowth? Good sight-lines?

:huh:

Also, calm down. No need to be so defensive and take things so seriously all the time. Your layout would definitely be better btw.

Sightlines as in hallways, not necessarily cross map.

And not necessarily being super defensive I just fail to see how it's a silly question. The map doesn't have to be atrocious... I'd settle for "very bad" with better weapons.

Imagine if Halo 3's social playlists weren't really social and were super sweaty all the time. I know a lot of people wouldn't have played that game as much if that were the case. Even CoD would suffer if they implemented hidden ranks, people like not having to try super hard all of the time. A lot of us here like to try all of the time but that's because we're competitive and like winning first and foremost.

We can have both guys, past games did it really well, it doesn't need to be one extreme or the other.

Ya. Im actually baffled that people are arguing against social playlists having loose Mm parametres. Like, do you enjoy seeing halo MM becoming a ghost town?

It doesn't.

The point is that we shouldn't cater to that because there's no reason to. If Halo is to have any competitive merit, it shouldn't be a pubstomp game. You don't promote an evolving meta through that. You promote a game based on FOTM (Flavor of the month) and is entirely dependent on balancing patches throughout its life span.

Believe it or not, Halo has an identity as a competitive game among the casual people I've spoken to. Mind you, it's not PC or FGC competitive, but it's up there in consoleland. As per how that pertains to our current situation I'm not sure. But Halo already went the pubstomp route with The 4 and it wasn't good. You would have to radically change the gameplay to the point that it has no elements whatsoever of old Halo gameplay (Guns, grenades, melee, recharging shields, consistent aiming skill, varied but niche sandbox) for it to work in that regard.

Exactly. And funny enough, Advanced Warfare used sbmm. You wanna know how the community reacted? Just google AW sbmm and you'll see immediately (spoiler it wasn't just hated it was DESPISED). People were more outraged about this than anything I've seen in a while. Social playlists are needed to maintain a population. Then, if people think they are good and want to take it to the next level, they try out ranked and look into comp. This really isn't a heard concept I don't get why people argue against this lol.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

This is just silly.

Social playlists don't serve the purpose of giving completely random matches. They aren't a gift to skilled players to just stomp on people who are under them in skill level. The purpose is to remove the stressful environment that ranked playlists create. 

Social playlists are about not caring if you win or lose.

Social playlists ARE NOT about making it easier to win.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 2

This whole social-playlist argument is being made with the assumption that we know how the game is matching players on the backend anyway.  Which we don't.

We know that CSR is still being calculated when you play.

We know that it's being used as a metric to match games.

what we dont know is how strict or loose those metrics are followed compared to the ranked playlists.  The argument for the last 10 pages of this thread has been making the assumption that the matching is similarly as strict as ranked playlists are, but i have not been able to find that officially stated anywhere.

We kind of need to know that before any of these arguments can be considered (more) valid/invalid.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I just find it funny how, I'm usually not the first to pick up on shit, like I go in most things neutral and see who makes the best argument, but the second I saw overgrowth I instantly knew it was a fucking disaster.

The point is that we shouldn't cater to that because there's no reason to. If Halo is to have any competitive merit, it shouldn't be a pubstomp game. You don't promote an evolving meta through that. You promote a game based on FOTM (Flavor of the month) and is entirely dependent on balancing patches throughout its life span.

Believe it or not, Halo has an identity as a competitive game among the casual people I've spoken to. Mind you, it's not PC or FGC competitive, but it's up there in consoleland. As per how that pertains to our current situation I'm not sure. But Halo already went the pubstomp route with The 4 and it wasn't good. You would have to radically change the gameplay to the point that it has no elements whatsoever of old Halo gameplay (Guns, grenades, melee, recharging shields, consistent aiming skill, varied but niche sandbox) for it to work in that regard.

Its not about pubstomping. Pubstompimg implies always winning and always doing well.

Im talking about creating an enjoyable cadence of difficulty. That way people are still ending up with 50% w/ls and 1.something k/ds but can still have fun doing it. Looser skill MM creates situations where everyone gets a turn to have monster games. Even if its only one out of every 5 games it creates a carrot on the stick that motivates casual players to keep at it.

Going even or close to it every game will not keep casual players interested.

This is just silly.

Social playlists don't serve the purpose of giving completely random matches. They aren't a gift to skilled players to just stomp on people who are under them in skill level. The purpose is to remove the stressful environment that ranked playlists create.

Social playlists are about not caring if you win or lose.

Social playlists ARE NOT about making it easier to win.

Social playlists are jut used to play the game in a non-competitive environment. For fun, the way video games are usually played. Pub stomping is gonna happen and that's the risk people are willing to take when they play it. Why people play social is up to them but there is no one unifying reason why someone plays social. It's just there for anyone to play anyone.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

This whole social-playlist argument is being made with the assumption that we know how the game is matching players on the backend anyway. Which we don't.

We know that CSR is still being calculated when you play.

We know that it's being used as a metric to match games.

what we dont know is how strict or loose those metrics are followed compared to the ranked playlists. The argument for the last 10 pages of this thread has been making the assumption that the matching is similarly as strict as ranked playlists are, but i have not been able to find that officially stated anywhere.

We kind of need to know that before any of these arguments can be considered (more) valid/invalid.

Multiple people have stated that after a decent amount of games they were unable to find matches. If the matching was as loose as it should be this would not be happening.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Ya. Im actually baffled that people are arguing against social playlists having loose Mm parametres. Like, do you enjoy seeing halo MM becoming a ghost town?

I can't believe people actually want blowouts in matchmaking.

• Upvote (+1) 1

You can't make anything static without a weapon pad, and weapon pads are shitty because they give away your position and you can't modify the amount of ammo in a weapon spawned on one.

I liked @@Pyroteq's idea making the weapon pad indicators show up when you have los of them like TOXIKK. It would go a long way if they fix these weapon pads and their notifications to be a lot more modular than they are. We should pass this along on other channels to get some traction. I know you some of you guys don't like the circle jerk nature of r/halo, but I know 343 keeps an eye there daily.

So here's a hint for the REQ people in this thread:

- Go into Gamestop with only one person working.

- Say you pre-ordered the game there (I didn't) and tossed the receipt by accident.

- Be cool.

- Complain that your friend xxxMLG22xxSLAYERFANxxx has cool armor that he was bragging about from the gamestop pre-order.

- Say you don't have your original receipt, but see if they will give you a code.

- If attendant is cool, get free code for Locke Armor Promotional Pack.

Just did this today on a whim since I saw there were some emblems in that pack that I just wanted to make sure I didn't get in a gold pack. Fun Fact: If you have any of the stuff that actually comes in the Promotional Pack, you'll get 1500 RP for any of those items. Since the pack comes with 8 things, you can net 12,000 RP for free if they give you a code.

Grind on, fellow REQ enthusiasts. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I haven't followed Halo much in the past month since I couldn't play it.

Can anybody explain me in detail how the division placement works for the 10 qualifing matches if it has been figured out?
I'm asking this because I thought it was purely based on Win/Loss and enemy team's division but I played all 10 qualifing matches with a friend, both of us starting fresh, and I got Champion 137 (Onyx ~1600, checked on Halo Tracker) and he was placed in Diamond 4 even though he consistently performed better than me in KA/D.

If nobody has figured it out yet, I think it might be based on damage dealt, since that's the only stat in which I was doing better than my friend during these matches.