CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Overgrowth would be a decent map on paper design wise. It's just the weapon set is going against Map Design 101. If you make a close range map, don't put a bunch of shotguns/swords/railguns on it. It's like putting Snipers on a huge open map like Standoff. Just an awful idea.

My ideal set up would be a (nerfed) Sniper Rifle, OS and Camo on the map instead of the Sword/Rail/Shotty currently.

No need to theorize. Since 343 are good guys, they have us covered on that, because it's actually a thing now.

Who wouldn't want to play Team Snipers on an ugly remake of standoff? Don't like it? Then just hop in a ghost, because apparently thats exactly what team snipers was missing all along.

Now that we have forge we should replace rockets with spnkr rockets all on arena maps. Change the weapon layouts, remove the weapon pads, and put everything on static timers

• Upvote (+1) 4

Overgrowth would be a decent map on paper design wise. It's just the weapon set is going against Map Design 101. If you make a close range map, don't put a bunch of shotguns/swords/railguns on it. It's like putting Snipers on a huge open map like Standoff. Just an awful idea.

My ideal set up would be a (nerfed) Sniper Rifle, OS and Camo on the map instead of the Sword/Rail/Shotty currently.

Id take off sword, shotty and railgun. Put two OS on opposite corners and a plasma caster bottom mid.

Spawning seems to be consistent problem in the game and at this point I'm questioning if optimal spawn point positioning can even really help or internally the spawn system has it's priorities broken. Or every person that managed the spawn points in all the dev and community cartographers maps released just screwed up in that department. I really don't know.

Though, if the spawns were better and more predictable for that map, what would be your feelings on it?

Is it possible to make team only spawns. Where blue team ONLY spawns on one half of the map and red team ONLY spawns on the other? It must be because it works that way in ctf.

Is it possible to make team only spawns. Where blue team ONLY spawns on one half of the map and red team ONLY spawns on the other? It must be because it works that way in ctf.

If spawning works the same way as in previous Forges which it appears to do so then yeah probably.

I really hope so. I want to see just how much better the game will be with static spawns. It's not like it's easy to be spawn trapped, you have sprint, thrust, clamber, and a million different escape routes. I'm sure it will be much better.

If spawning works the same way as in previous Forges which it appears to do so then yeah probably.

So why the fuck are both teams spawning all over the map on gigantic, symmetrical BTB maps?

Mind blowing.

So why the fuck are both teams spawning all over the map on gigantic, symmetrical BTB maps?

Mind blowing.

I don't know, I wouldn't blame @@WARHOLIC, though. 343i adjusted the maps after the cartographers made them, so they could have managed spawning and made it pretty much all dynamic. It comes back to them anyway since they are the one's responsible for releasing them in a matchmaking ready state, not the community guys.

Saw a good post on waypoint that sums up my(and I think most other people's) thought on h5 and h5 "social"

Monitor Chakas wrote:

I'm confused, do people want social to be unfavourable skill matchmaking in their favour (i.e. so they can stomp noobs)? Because in that case I'm glad it's mostly even.

Some other guy

It's not just that. I want to win some blowouts. I want some games to be nail bitters. I want to lose some games by a lot.

When it's a mixed bag it's easier to not take it seriously. When every game is 50-49 it becomes competitive, monotonous, and frustrating.

COD, destiny and older Halo games' (even the MCC) social playlists found a great balance. When I jump on COD or destiny. Sometimes I dominate. Sometimes I am dominated. Sometimes It's really even. That variation keeps it fun and most importantly SOCIAL. I can play with people who aren't as good as me. People who are better than me can play with me. We can play together and not take it so seriously because even if we get destroyed, we may destroy the next game. In H5 EVERY game is tight and competitive. If you have a rough game, the next game has a 0% chance of taking it easy on you. It just becomes daunting, draining and soul crushing. So, people get off. And hop on to COD.

I think at that at this point ffa should just be removed. It plays horribly in this game, the playlist population seems horrid. That playlist spot could be used better.

The problem isn't the gametype... the problem is the maps and the weapons on the map.  FFA's are supposed to be about map movement and pure shooting skill, not "who happened to spawn closest to the power weapons/power ups". 

Overshield and Camo on Plaza and The Rig standout in this regard.  I went on a killing frenzy on The Rig because I happened to spawn close to Camo when it came back up.  I got it and played like a total bitch for the win.  I didn't earn that win, I was middle of the pack until that happened.  Both of those maps are shitty FFA maps to begin with, then add powerups/weapons and it gets unnecessarily messy real quick.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Saw a good post on waypoint that sums up my(and I think most other people's) thought on h5 and h5 "social"

Monitor Chakas wrote:

I'm confused, do people want social to be unfavourable skill matchmaking in their favour (i.e. so they can stomp noobs)? Because in that case I'm glad it's mostly even.

Some other guy

It's not just that. I want to win some blowouts. I want some games to be nail bitters. I want to lose some games by a lot.

When it's a mixed bag it's easier to not take it seriously. When every game is 50-49 it becomes competitive, monotonous, and frustrating.

COD, destiny and older Halo games' (even the MCC) social playlists found a great balance. When I jump on COD or destiny. Sometimes I dominate. Sometimes I am dominated. Sometimes It's really even. That variation keeps it fun and most importantly SOCIAL. I can play with people who aren't as good as me. People who are better than me can play with me. We can play together and not take it so seriously because even if we get destroyed, we may destroy the next game. In H5 EVERY game is tight and competitive. If you have a rough game, the next game has a 0% chance of taking it easy on you. It just becomes daunting, draining and soul crushing. So, people get off. And hop on to COD.

You know I think this is probably the first time I've ever seen people complain about good matchmaking.

I mean seriously? The fact that the game is matching people of equal skill is somehow making it worse?

It literally is impossible to please the Halo community...

• Upvote (+1) 3

Yeah 343 needs to do something about Overgrowth. Why 343 felt like they needed to put a sword on a map with small corridors, a miniscule radar, and a shotgun that doesn't even have full ammo is beyond me.

Check it.

8Ay9pAc.jpg

I got 22 Power Weapon kills (read that sword kills) on Overgrowth.

Very soon everyone is going to realize all you have to do is get sword control and bum rush around the map. As long as you have an iota of control with the sword and choose your kills somewhat liberally you can get a perfection easily on overgrowth.

reminds me of countdown ffa lol, easy perfection by using sword and shotgun topmid

You know I think this is probably the first time I've ever seen people complain about good matchmaking.

I mean seriously? The fact that the game is matching people of equal skill is somehow making it worse?

Yeah, I feel a bit confused on this point. I understand the want for social so if you screw around you won't lose rank, but still getting appropriate skill pair ups seem alright to me. i dunno, maybe they could make skill matches less strict, but perhaps not do away with it entirely.

Now THAT is next-gen forge.

First good thing 343 has done to Halo since no bloom in Reach.

(no dick-smileys on beyond? I'm disappoint, son)

Now that we have forge we should replace rockets with spnkr rockets all on arena maps. Change the weapon layouts, remove the weapon pads, and put everything on static timers

The SPNKr fires way too fast, I think. You can get the second rocket out before the first one even explodes.

Static timers are going to need some work, but I'll try working on them with a couple other people this weekend. All of the methods I've tried so far have had a single game-breaking bug.

• Upvote (+1) 1

"Good MM" is subjective.

Constant 50-49 games are good if you are a competitive player. Otherwise its not. Right next to a lack of content the biggest complaint I see about h5 is that it is too competitive.

Having ranked and social both geared towards the same people is nonsensical.

Okay, I hate when people take what people say and then twist it around. Yes we wanted a social playlist and yes we are complaining about it. You know why? Because ITS NOT SOCIAL. It's just a ranked playlist without visible rank. There's really no point in playing it over a regular playlist because it's literally the same thing just 5v5 with shitty gametypes.

The same thing was said when we found out every playlist was ranked. People said "Omg why are you complaining about ranks we finally get them and now look at you1!1!". Just because you get something doesn't mean it's perfect or even good at all.

• Upvote (+1) 1

What exactly do spartan companies do? I always hear the term being thrown around.

It's just clans on Waypoint. They have exclusive commendations we can get XP from so it's worth joining up.

Yup.

Go to /r/halo and say that Halo is unbalanced and in less than 5 minutes your post is sitting at -50 while a bunch of random nobodies that have never even attended a LAN tournament proceed to tell you how much you must suck at the game and the only reason you're complaining is because you don't understand how to use different weapons besides the BR, etc...

Of course they think the game is balanced, it's confirmation bias. They WANT to believe the game is balanced because for the first time in more than a decade running around spraying people to death with an AR is actually a valid tactic whereas before they would have gone -20 every game.

I love how none of them will ever mention skill or the lack of skill required in using these spray and pray weapons.

Yup, a weapon that requires skill to use constantly losing against a weapon that takes none. That's balance =)

Quit yo hatin on them just becuz they dun found a halo they can enjoy.