CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Mintograde explained it

Crony was Champ 1 (or very close) in pre-season so the ranking system knows he's a good player since his MMR was still high and he was (probably) beating people with a very high MMR.

You no longer only get placed in Plat/Dia/etc 1 or Onyx 1500, you can literally place anywhere. I got Diamond 2 in Doubles for example (I was D2 in the weekend doubles playlist as well).

I get that, however having his csr already so high makes lower ranked onyx players have to play for ever to catch him. New seasons should be a clean slate where players don't start out that far ahead. Also we want to find games.

So you can't find a game if you were a champion last season because the MMR doesn't reset. Why have two separate ranking systems, then reset one of them? These guys are scary incompetent.

I don't think that's the whole story. In preseason I could never find a FFA match and now I get them within reasonable search time.

Crony was Champ 1 (or very close) in pre-season so the ranking system knows he's a good player since his MMR was still high and he was (probably) beating people with a very high MMR.

You no longer only get placed in Plat/Dia/etc 1 or Onyx 1500, you can literally place anywhere. I got Diamond 2 in Doubles for example (I was D2 in the weekend doubles playlist as well).

There's an active bug with placement matches. I'm not denying the possibility of Doubles ranks carrying over from last time, because I noticed that on the final preseason stat sheet, it refers to Weekend Doubles as Holiday Doubles, which means the playlist was edited and they both carry the same ID. But regardless of that, there's definitely a bug right now, and I'm assuming it stems from 343 "tweaking" CSR and placement matches for being too rewarding across the board (the irony).

I saw a dude place Champion 1 after 10 FFA games earlier. Dude dropped to 1921 right off the bat, when it always has been impossible to place above 1500. Saw a different dude place Champion 4 and he even sent me a message saying there's no way it should be like that and it's messed up. But myself, despite having ~2600 CSR in preseason, still got 1500 in season 1 after placement matches, so I'm feeling there's more to it than just that.

I made sure to tweet Bravo, who as per usual, didn't respond.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Was he CSR 2,200 in pre-season by any chance?

Post-placement CSR will be lower than your last season's CSR, but will catch up quickly.

From a quick look through some players' game histories, it looks like your visible CSR might start at the low end of your MMR's division (1500 for Onyx). Even if season placement matches are weighted the same as normal matches, you'll gain a ton of points for winning while losing nothing from losses, simply because your visible CSR is much lower than your MMR. This can be seen even in post-placement games for high-MMR players. With a 50/50 win/loss record (which is expected in good matchmaking), your MMR will stay constant, and your CSR will eventually catch up to where it should be.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I don't think that's the whole story. In preseason I could never find a FFA match and now I get them within reasonable search time.

There's an active bug with placement matches. I'm not denying the possibility of Doubles ranks carrying over from last time, because I noticed that on the final preseason stat sheet, it refers to Weekend Doubles as Holiday Doubles, which means the playlist was edited and they both carry the same ID. But regardless of that, there's definitely a bug right now, and I'm assuming it stems from 343 "tweaking" CSR and placement matches for being too rewarding across the board (the irony).

I saw a dude place Champion 1 after 10 FFA games earlier. Dude dropped to 1921 right off the bat, when it always has been impossible to place above 1500. Saw a different dude place Champion 4 and he even sent me a message saying there's no way it should be like that and it's messed up. But myself, despite having ~2600 CSR in preseason, still got 1500 in season 1 after placement matches, so I'm feeling there's more to it than just that.

I saw on Ninja's stream that Unlegit was Champ 1 (2500) in Arena with like 13 games played (looked it up on Halotracker), and Crony's 2200 CSR that was mentioned was probably in Slayer so it seems like every playlists ranks carry over. Weird how yours didn't, though, espeically considering how high your pre-season CSR was.

I feel like I can't play anything but social right now because each game I'm getting that rubber band lag or just dropped out of the game altogether. I guess placements will have to wait

If it's any help, Waypoint seems to think I'm Champion 18 in Holiday Doubles even though I haven't touched Doubles as whole since I got ranked the first time it was around.

mrDVpj9.png

One of those is definitely a bug. Placing people above 1500 makes sense for people who played in the previous season (at least in my opinion). I wonder if there's any obvious difference between 1500 placers and 1500+ placers.

If it's any help, Waypoint seems to think I'm Champion 18 in Holiday Doubles even though I haven't touched Doubles as whole since I got ranked the first time it was around.

mrDVpj9.png

That page looks at your all-time highest rank and the CSR it was at when achieved. Assuming you did your Doubles placement matches early on and got put in Onyx/Champion @ 1500 CSR, giving you Champion 18, then that's what the game looks at as a reference point.

It's an historical stat if anything, and being early to the placement match race can give you an edge on this.

• Upvote (+1) 1

My friend is insane. When I started talking about how I think the Halo 5 magnum should be more like CE, he insisted that the CE magnum was the easiest utility weapon of all time.

One of those is definitely a bug. Placing people above 1500 makes sense for people who played in the previous season (at least in my opinion). I wonder if there's any obvious difference between 1500 placers and 1500+ placers.

I can't find a common denominator. All I've noticed is that one of the guys who placed 1500+ didn't touch FFA in the preseason. The other one did though.

Both of them got it today, after having a few champion opponents.

I got mine yesterday, also had champion opponents (not sure if I had just 1500 opponents while their opponents were a bit higher).

Seems like a random wild bug where the game tries to adjust the CSR value to something lower than it's intended to be (like the recent update was supposed to do) but instead, sets it to a much higher value than expected because of some sort of calculation/averaging bug.

Two gamertags I know of for FFA are "Fz Steevix" and "afterlife2222" if you're interested in looking into it.

@@Vetoed

Dude I have zero idea how you can dislike 6 player FFA.

Even on Plaza I feel like I can't avoid a player for more than 2 seconds.

When Rockets came up there would be like 4-5 people fighting over them for the next 20 seconds.

Oh, and great job 343... Still struggling to find games in Oceanic region. Played 2 placement matches in FFA and now I'm getting failed to find players.

It's 4pm on a Friday. Patch just came out so lots of people should be online and all the kids are home from school now... Actually, school is FINISHED FOR THE YEAR now.

They didn't think that was a pretty damn important issue to fix for the games biggest patch so far?

"Hey Australians! Come back and play Halo 5! We have Forge now!"

"Ummmm, I'm actually having fun playing CoD now since I couldn't play H5 when it came out, did you fix that yet?"

"No, but you can totally make maps now instead!"

FFS the match making system in this game is an absolute embarrassment.

• Upvote (+1) 4

-snip-

Oh don't get me wrong, I agree with everything you're saying, but asking for 8 player FFA over 6 player FFA is just a bandaid that doesn't even attempt to address the ACTUAL issues:

• Ridiculously powerful automatic weapons on short respawns
  • Power weapons with enough ammo to reach half the score limit in a single magazine
  • Auto aim levels almost on par with Halo 2

These are the issues we should be fighting for since some of them address issues with the entire game, not just FFA. Turning FFA into 8 players just to combat power weapon users makes the game feel like you're trying to fight off a Zerg rush.

I haven't actually been able to play top players in FFA because 343's sick match making system can't even find me an FFA game. Looks like I might already be stuck this season and I've only done 2/10 placements...

Unfortunately getting the community behind us is a complete waste of time.

Unlike CS that has a decent community - even on Reddit, /r/halo is filled with 343 apologists and Waypoint is filled with 14 year old kids.

I'd like to Forge some FFA maps, however getting people to actually try them and then have 343 put them into the playlists is probably impossible unless you're a huge name in the Halo community already.

• Upvote (+1) 6

well shit already been bit once pretty bad by forge crashing on me and I lost a lot of work :(

Quicksave man, get into the habit. Fallout 4 taught me the ways. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Oh don't get me wrong, I agree with everything you're saying, but asking for 8 player FFA over 6 player FFA is just a bandaid that doesn't even attempt to address the ACTUAL issues:

• Ridiculously powerful automatic weapons on short respawns
  • Power weapons with enough ammo to reach half the score limit in a single magazine
  • Auto aim levels almost on par with Halo 2

These are the issues we should be fighting for since some of them address issues with the entire game, not just FFA. Turning FFA into 8 players just to combat power weapon users makes the game feel like you're trying to fight off a Zerg rush.

I haven't actually been able to play top players in FFA because 343's sick match making system can't even find me an FFA game. Looks like I might already be stuck this season and I've only done 2/10 placements...

Unfortunately getting the community behind us is a complete waste of time.

Unlike CS that has a decent community - even on Reddit, /r/halo is filled with 343 apologists and Waypoint is filled with 14 year old kids.

I'd like to Forge some FFA maps, however getting people to actually try them and then have 343 put them into the playlists is probably impossible unless you're a huge name in the Halo community already.

Sandbox balance issues are a whole different deal from FFA issues, and while I agree that it needs to change on its own, but 6-man further enables the broken stuff to shine. I don't know what else to say. I used to prefer 6-man back in Halo 3; the maps were perfect for it, nothing in the sandbox was stupid overpowered when it was BR starts. In Halo 5, the maps are just too big with ridiculous segmentation and corners, so people are living for too long on average. Good players know what to abuse and how to abuse it.

8-man was good because you were always fighting. People didn't get as much of a chance to crouch for 10-15 seconds while creeping on others with automatics. You'd just pull the pistol out and get in a fight. Respawn and fight again within 5-10 seconds. It was tedious at times, but at least it was a fair fight vs. another pistol user instead of fighting against whatever random weapon other people collect now.

Spoiler alert: that random weapon beats the pistol.

As for fighting off an incessant rush over a power weapon, I think it's fine. Because once you do get the power weapon, you're guaranteed a few free kills. In 6-man, you get a good spawn, you're guaranteed a few free kills because most of the time, no one is in position to contest it. Sure, there's no more getting screwed over with bad luck through spawn kills, but there is such a thing as luck in good spawns instead, and it snowballs big time from there.

Anyways, it's stupid because you can't even experience it in the first place with 343's garbage matchmaking parameters. I don't understand what the hell is up with that. Can't believe that the other day I even read a post on Reddit thinking the region lock was fair and acceptable because facing Australian people resulted in lag. The game is on dedicated servers. If someone has high ping, then other people are lagging for them too. It's such a stupid thing for people to complain about. It's not the same as being on foreign host on Halo 3, a game with mediocre netcode, hit detection and bullet spread (which, for some reason, a bunch of people compare it to).

I've ran into one bad connection game in Halo 5 across ~1200 and it was one Warzone match. I still ended up dropping 40 kills against a to12 (who then accused me and a friend of running a premade to12 when our 10 other teammates didn't have more than 30 kills combined). The point is, there's no reason for region locks to exist, at least not to a point where people in those regions can't find matches at all.

As for 343, well done as usual. Some person out there somehow felt like not getting games at all IN ANY SHAPE OR FORM was acceptable when there's enough people in a playlist to provide a match. Whether it was through the power of horrendous testing or mediocre coding, the end result is obvious, and it still hasn't been addressed almost two months post-launch aside from one random test nothing else was said about since.

Happy Holidays to all the Australians and New Zealanders getting Halo 5 for Christmas!

• Upvote (+1) 4

This popped up on my recommendations

Late reply:

Ugh... what a dip-shit. This video is the WORST. Nearly everything he says is completely wrong.

• Upvote (+1) 1

About given up on this game.

The fact that even in "social" when im playing with friends who were 30s in h3, we play onyx kids. I search alone, onyx kids. Probably a party of 4 too.

Like, how can 343 screw up literally everything they touch? Even the basic structure of ranked and social playlists?

Its baffling.

My friend is insane. When I started talking about how I think the Halo 5 magnum should be more like CE, he insisted that the CE magnum was the easiest utility weapon of all time.

Poor guy just hasn't played enough against good players.  It's just a shame he doesn't realize that about himself.

One of the biggest problems in FFA (aside from weapon balancing and placement, and player count) is simply the way these maps are designed. The reason camping is done so much in this game no matter the playlist is because the maps promote it. There are so many little nooks and crannies to hide in and just crouch that it's insane. Seriously, just bring a friend in a custom game and play hide and seek, you'll see how awful the maps are immediately. Halo isn't supposed to have cluttered intricate maps, that's for a game like CoD with low kill times. Think of past Halo map design and you'll see how plain the actual maps are. Even CE's room based maps were open and you couldn't really hide in a corner without people being able to spot you easily. The default maps in this game are just ass honestly. Probably every single one has way too many hiding spots. We need to go back to the basics and just have less cluttered maps. Also, clamber has to go, that's what causes half the problems in the first place.

Hell, make FFA pistols only and you have yourself a great playlist. Great for players that want to grind it and great for players to warm up.

• Upvote (+1) 9

Late reply:

Ugh... what a dip-shit. This video is the WORST. Nearly everything he says is completely wrong.

"Pistol beats the Sniper" shows a clip of him using the H3 Pistol at long range. Stopped watching there lol.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Happy Holidays to all the Australians and New Zealanders getting Halo 5 for Christmas!

Don't forget South America! I'm pretty sure the match making situation for them is EVEN WORSE. Basically anywhere outside NA and EU match making is fucked.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/e0d9938206f04a598ce84f2c8cadce02/topics/warzone-dont-work-south-ameria-africa-australia/06223e76-9c6e-45fe-af01-fb00160803b0/posts

This thread is 95 pages long now and issue still isn't fixed.

Feel free to RT these:

• Upvote (+1) 1

To the guys in the Beyond Spartan Company who are getting Combat Evolved medals...

e6lMp8J.png

youtherealmvp-300x166.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 2