CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

FIREFIGHT

Why are people excited about this? Yes, ODST Firefight was amazing, but Reach Firefight was horrible in comparison. Bad maps, layouts, no vehicles if you don't include the CEA map when no one was playing FF anymore. Never once, not once, have I ever heard in a Reach lobby "Guys, I want to play Firefight". It was only used for XP/challenge grinding, but now I'm seeing all this hype for a mode that no one ever wanted to play on. Is there anyone here that actually played Reach Firefight and enjoyed it or did everyone forget why they never played this mode outside of challenges and commendations?

Don't get me wrong, it's cool that Reach is backward compatible now, but Firefight was a one-hit wonder with ODST.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It was really whatever. Though I did enjoy the glacier map a lot and playing generators

Personally gears 3 Horde is 10x better than any Firefight Halo had

• Upvote (+1) 1

Oh god yes. I remember grinding the hell out of Gears 3 Horde <3 Just got all the gears games for BC too, like 2 days ago.

ODST was cool as well. Reach FF was lame, but only because they never introduced a challenging commendation/achievement for it. Being able to have infinite rockets and lives. Ugh.

Everybody and their mother was complaining about 8 person ffa.

Also I don't see how the spawns would change what your specifically complaining about. No matter where you spawn, if people wanna play like bitches they will just do it in a different area.

Does ffa have radar? And if so what's the range?

I honestly feel like this game will continually he held back by radar and powerful autos.

It's like they just want to keep adding prettier band aids on a gushing hole.

You guys ever see Vegas vacation? Think the Hoover dam gum scene.

You don't understand at all. We need 8 players because 8 players allow people to be under pressure more often, resulting in less free kills from power weapons and escaping/hiding/camping becomes less viable. You challenge and win or die.

People were complaining about 8 players because it wasn't uncommon to get trapped right off spawn and spawn killed. It was even more frustrating because of the long 8 second respawn. Fixing how people get spawn trapped would alleviate how frustrating 8-man FFA was.

As for the radar, it's tiny (18m) and should be bigger (25m) for FFA. You can never make an educated decision with it. If they're going to keep 6-man though, then at the very least, they should lower the respawn timer to 3 or 5 seconds.

1 person in The Arena on Reach.

@@Vetoed, is that you?

LMAO, I know better than to even bother at this point. I've been trying MLG this whole time, but can't find a game.

Why are people excited about this? Yes, ODST Firefight was amazing, but Reach Firefight was horrible in comparison. Bad maps, layouts, no vehicles if you don't include the CEA map when no one was playing FF anymore. Never once, not once, have I ever heard in a Reach lobby "Guys, I want to play Firefight". It was only used for XP/challenge grinding, but now I'm seeing all this hype for a mode that no one ever wanted to play on. Is there anyone here that actually played Reach Firefight and enjoyed it or did everyone forget why they never played this mode outside of challenges and commendations?

Don't get me wrong, it's cool that Reach is backward compatible now, but Firefight was a one-hit wonder with ODST.

What'd you just say about my baby?

I kind of wish some of the AI in Warzone would attempt to recapture control points.

Probably end up being a clusterfuck but I'd like to at least see if it worked.

• Upvote (+1) 1

You don't understand at all. We need 8 players because 8 players allow people to be under pressure more often, resulting in less free kills from power weapons and escaping/hiding/camping becomes less viable. You challenge and win or die.

People were complaining about 8 players because it wasn't uncommon to get trapped right off spawn and spawn killed. It was even more frustrating because of the long 8 second respawn. Fixing how people get spawn trapped would alleviate how frustrating 8-man FFA was.

As for the radar, it's tiny (18m) and should be bigger (25m) for FFA. You can never make an educated decision with it. If they're going to keep 6-man though, then at the very least, they should lower the respawn timer to 3 or 5 seconds.

LMAO, I know better than to even bother at this point. I've been trying MLG this whole time, but can't find a game.

"You don't understand at all"

Yeah no shit I said I haven't played ffa and then went on to ask you several questions lol...

Would a solution be to just increase radar range? I don't see adding back two players would be seen favorably at all.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It doesn't help that in FFA, with the now lower player count, people have virtually no pressure on them. It makes snowballing with power weapons so much easier.

Half of the maps in FFA play like garbage now. People are crouching everywhere until someone is reckless enough to engage another person and then the 4 other players just collapse on that fight for clean-ups.

The thing that needed work was the spawns, not the player count...

Oh, the player count definitely helps. With the new spartan abilities its hard to find time to breathe in an FFA.

The issues are:

• Ridiculous power weapons in FFA
  • Ridiculous automatic weapons that take zero skill and zero risk.
  • Crappy magnum that is outclassed by LITERALLY ANYTHING off spawn.
  • Too much auto aim allowing bad players to get kills where they wouldn't have hit a single shot in Halo 1.

Why the fuck is there a camo and sword on FFA on Overgrown? A map with tight corridors everywhere and you're giving a player a guaranteed win if they pick up the sword and camo together.

Or a fuel rod cannon on Regret with enough ammo to win the game in the single magazine?

This shit doesn't belong in FFA. If you're going to put a power weapon in FFA it should be one or 2 MAX and they should be placed in high risk areas such as the bottom middle of Regret or the top centre of Truth - Areas that are extremely risky to get to.

For example: Camo on Warlock? Ok

Camo AND sword on Overgrown? NO.

Do the spawns suck? Maybe, but even if they do they're the last thing I'd change in FFA when there's so many worse issues.

I can deal with spawning on a grenade a couple of times per game. I'd happily take that over being sprayed to death from half the map away with an AR simply because I missed a single magnum shot.

Automatics need a nerf, precision weapons need a buff and auto aim should be reduced on every weapon in the game.

Take away the ridiculous power weapons. Replace them with a double damage or OS power up in the centre of the map. On maps like Overgrown (groan) take away power weapons altogether. The fucking AR is a power weapon on that shitty map.

That way players aren't racking up killtaculars every time they pick up a sword.

Camping is so viable because of the power of the automatic weapons and power weapons. If automatics weren't so powerful campers would get smashed.

@@Pyroteq

Couldn't camo and shotty on warlock be just as deadly as camo+sword on overgrown? Or it just the map layout being so... Bad.

ODST Firefight>Reach Firefight

I don't get WHAT it was that killed Reach firefight for me, but man, I could NOT play it. Maybe it was Bungie's dumbass decision to allow people to spawn with a Jetpack and FRG, leading to constant kill steals, since I used a Sniper or Shotgun consistently. I couldn't even grind XP in it, past dailies/weekly challenges. Was that bad.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't get WHAT it was that killed Reach firefight for me, but man, I could NOT play it. Maybe it was Bungie's dumbass decision to allow people to spawn with a Jetpack and FRG, leading to constant kill steals, since I used a Sniper or Shotgun consistently. I couldn't even grind XP in it, past dailies/weekly challenges. Was that bad.

The maps weren't fun at all and it wasn't challenging since there seem to be a definite camping spot on each map that put the game on easy mode. ODST Firefight required you to move around and Lost Platoon was the GOAT.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I swear, the Holiday Social playlist was designed to be shitty on purpose specifically to make people go back to ranked.

The maps weren't fun at all and it wasn't challenging since there seem to be a definite camping spot on each map that put the game on easy mode. ODST Firefight required you to move around and Lost Platoon was the GOAT.

Lost Platoon, ONI Alpha Site, Crater. All were so fun.

Oh god yes. I remember grinding the hell out of Gears 3 Horde <3 Just got all the gears games for BC too, like 2 days ago.

ODST was cool as well. Reach FF was lame, but only because they never introduced a challenging commendation/achievement for it. Being able to have infinite rockets and lives. Ugh.

If the game simply locked you out of receiving XP when you messed with your base settings, Bungie might have solved that problem.

While you're right - I remember one or two really terrifying matches setting the default weapons to magnum and grenade launcher and playing Legendary solo against 5 waves of Hunters. There's something tangible beauty to this gamemode that devs aren't expounding upon, yet. I'd hate to throw the baby out with the bath water.

I swear, the Holiday Social playlist was designed to be shitty on purpose specifically to make people go back to ranked.

They should have just called it Snipers with an occasional twist.

• Upvote (+1) 2

So, @@Vetoed, I got the new Locus helmet, so I could actually see what it looks like, in game. I love the X as much as you do, but c'mon, doesn't this look the least bit badass? The colored faceplate suits it a lot more than white, and the triangle is a pretty cool design.

YlC5cmZ.png

GEBj2Z3.png

:walshy:  :walshy:  :walshy:

Someone remind me again how this is supposed to be the most skilful Halo since Halo 1?

I've been playing Halo since 2002. I've attended LAN tournaments in Halo 1, 2 and 3 and participated in online tournaments for Reach. I was a WCG grand finalist in Halo 2 and here I am in Halo 5 barely beating a bunch of kids that crouch in corners with shotguns.

If these exact same kids had played me in Halo 1 I don't think I would have died once. I probably would have reached 25 kills before the next player even broke double digits.

3 players out of 6 couldn't manage to land a SINGLE headshot, including a player that came 2nd. SECOND!

Oh, and in case it wasn't COMPLETELY OBVIOUS this was played on Overgrowth.

What a surprise, the map plays EXACTLY as I predicted.

This map may actually be worse than Snowbound, Epitaph and Swordbase.

Who the hell thought it was a good idea to have narrow corridors all over the place with a freakin' camo, sword and shotgun?

The map is an automatic spray fest catering to the lowest common denominator where kids can run around the map doing laps with their sword exposed the whole time and rack up killtaculars thanks to zero visibility, sprint and thrusters.

you're talking about a matchmaking FFA experience with terrible maps/settings ... the real question is, did you get this mad playing FFA KotH in H3 with AR starts on epitaph?  because that's the relevant comparison, rather than ideal/tournament settings.  if you want competitive H5 FFA then play GB tournaments/ladders, not matchmaking (as these use the correct settings / maps).  I agree that default H1 is amazing, but imo proper tournament settings for H5 could easily be the best since H1 (even if H5 default is a bit meh).  

• Upvote (+1) 1

@@Moa I finished my common req collection, do I still need to open bronze pack to get uncommon reqs?

my impression is that once you finish common REQs you should go straight to silver; you can can only get common permanents from bronze packs (or at least this is all I've received)

my impression is that once you finish common REQs you should go straight to silver; you can can only get common permanents from bronze packs (or at least this is all I've received)

Ahh gotcha! I got uncommon from bronze once. I guess it was a glitch. Thank you :)

you're talking about a matchmaking FFA experience with terrible maps/settings ... the real question is, did you get this mad playing FFA KotH in H3 with AR starts on epitaph?  because that's the relevant comparison, rather than ideal/tournament settings.  if you want competitive H5 FFA then play GB tournaments/ladders, not matchmaking (as these use the correct settings / maps).  I agree that default H1 is amazing, but imo proper tournament settings for H5 could easily be the best since H1 (even if H5 default is a bit meh).  

Too bad Halo 5 will never be played with "proper tournament settings" because 343i is in charge of the settings now.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I think you could clear half of the "top-tier" achievements by just jacking up to God Mode settings.