CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=A2IBXUwJ7Es

I'm posting here instead of the dedicated thread I have for this because it's a big issue that has been plaguing high level players. I hope staff can understand. The point is to get this video out there, not because it benefits me, but because we want the game to work as intended.

You make many good points and its discouraging that 343 hasn't planned for this with any common sense ideas.

This is a video game. A game. What should be the #1 priority in online matchmaking? Finding games. Not waiting 10 minutes, 20 minutes, 1 hour, 2 hours or 3 hours. This is a video game.

The fact that this has gone over the heads of 343 is very discouraging. The Halo 5 player population online at launch is the smallest its ever been. Yet the matchmaking seems to be using very narrow parameters. What does this lead to? Long match-making times for some due to rank and others due to location.

One idea that may or may not be possible:

If the population is so desolate at a certain time and location to the point where there is a high-ranking TO4 taking on low-ranking randoms in an applicable playlist, then split up the party temporarily to make "even" teams in that lobby (and possibly suspend the recording of stats that match). If anyone else has any ideas, feel free to shout them out.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I've matched him twice and it pisses me off to no end. I hate him as a player more than anyone honestly. He plays like 8ish hours a day, with a full team, spawn killing every game. Thy don't even have the decency to go after the core. Just spawn kill randoms all day every day. The fact that he is such an absurd level and spams legendary REQs all game is annoying, but pair that will 11 other people doing the same thing and it's not fun at all. I avoid regular Warzone because of him honestly.

Lt Wasp is the woat. Used to match up against him all the time in DLC Halo 4 and he was a straight nuisance..... always chasing for sniper and pushing you out of power positions by stealing kills (the few times he was actually on my team). I remember one game where he specifically waited for the kill shot 6 times (6 TIMES) on 6 Mantis' that spawned through the game.

He's an average player that whores for acknowledgement in stats and placement.

• Upvote (+1) 1

You make many good points and its discouraging that 343 hasn't planned for this with any common sense ideas.

This is a video game. A game. What should be the #1 priority in online matchmaking? Finding games. Not waiting 10 minutes, 20 minutes, 1 hour, 2 hours or 3 hours. This is a video game.

The fact that this has gone over the heads of 343 is very discouraging. The Halo 5 player population online at launch is the smallest its ever been. Yet the matchmaking seems to be using very narrow parameters. What does this lead to? Long match-making times for some due to rank and others due to location.

One idea:

If the population is so desolate at a certain time and location to the point where there is a high-ranking TO4 taking on low-ranking randoms in an applicable playlist, then split up the party temporarily to make "even" teams in that lobby (and possibly suspend the recording of stats that match). If anyone else has any ideas, feel free to shout them out.

Thanks for the words.

As for the idea, I think pitting teammates/friends against one another just leads to frustration and would lead to them not wanting to search. I don't think it ever gets to a point where you just keep matching people who are super bad and far out of your skill range, but even if it did, I don't think splitting teams would be good.

I think just not punishing the weaker team nor rewarding the strong team too much (in terms of rank changes) is the easier way of approaching it. While stats are an option too, I think they're just meant to be accurate data more than bragging rights, so personally, I'm not sure how to feel about messing with those.

• Upvote (+1) 2

So when che chou said we need to grow the scene, you would think the hcs and halo twitters would tweet about this tournament this weekend in UK and have the halo twitch host the channel.

I'm baffled that the HCS twitter didn't post one thing about the EG/CLG scrims last night.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Watched the Joe Staten segment on the livestream yesterday. After watching all the Bungie ViDocs and developer commentaries, I couldn't help but feel like I was seeing an old friend again. Seriously, that guy knows what he is doing. I have yet to read Shadow of Intent, but I'll bet it's better than anything we got in H5. Can anyone speak on the book? I'm hoping it'll be reminiscent of the old games in at least some capacity, since we are dealing with a character Joe originally wrote and is still writing now.

One idea that may or may not be possible:

That is a horrible idea.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Lt Wasp is the woat. Used to match up against him all the time in DLC Halo 4 and he was a straight nuisance..... always chasing for sniper and pushing you out of power positions by stealing kills (the few times he was actually on my team). I remember one game where he specifically waited for the kill shot 6 times (6 TIMES) on 6 Mantis' that spawned through the game.

He's an average player that whores for acknowledgement in stats and placement.

Uh, no. Wasp is a good player. If I remember correctly he was the first 50 in h3. I played a handful of games with him in reach(I don't know him but we had many mutual xbl friends) and he is very good. At that point he was right up in the mix with kids like syphon, veteoed, riot, etc imo for best default player in the game. Which is the equivalant of like semi pro event/mlg kids.
  • Downvote (-1) 1

So we know we're suppose to be getting social BTB when this update drops but they said in the stream we're getting an additional social playlist as well. They could have easily said "Social Slayer" or "Social Grab Bag". Unless they're surprising us with a brand new mode I don't see the point

Did the req servers just get reqt? I can't view them. 

Hate when that happens.  Especially if you're playing warzone and you can't buy weapons.

Did the req servers just get reqt? I can't view them. 

As of late I've had worse problems getting post-game data to even appear. It's put me off the game as a whole for a bit.

Can we talk about the abuse of spawning vehicles in the first phase of Warzone Assault, especially on Summit?

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/l%20RyanW%20l/video/13219569

Not the best clip but I will add that another ghost spawned in after the clip was done recording.

So basically players can continue to spawn in vehicles in Summit's Garage which is the first base to capture on Warzone Assault, leading to an almost never ending wave of just ghost, hogs, and mongeese. Because of that it makes it almost impossible to capture garage due to "Enemies Remaining: X". 

@@Sal1ent Can something be done here? Like preventing vehicles to spawn in the garage when there are enemies in the base?

• Upvote (+1) 3

To be fair, what you're describing is EXACTLY what I said would happen with Warzone. It's not a casual friendly experience.

Warzone is a rich get richer system.

You play more you earn more REQ's, you win more games and you earn even more REQ's.

Saying Warzone isn't Pay to Win is a joke.

Yeah, sure, you can't pay $5 to win a game, but you can pay $5 to spawn with a tank every time you die which is essentially the same thing. If you're not paying real currency you're paying with your time.

If 343 expects casuals to stick around for Warzone they're kidding themselves. Warzone needs to undergo some serious changes if 343 wants to keep a casual audience interested because right now it's a few guys that jump into a party, spam REQ's all game and then spawn camp for 10 minutes while you're trapped in a base with only 2 exits...

Just another issue that should have been solved in the concept phase. Bases need a "secret" exit that doesn't allow vehicle access so that players can escape a base if they're getting spawn camped without having to run out of 1 of 2 exits that are guarded by 6 scorpion tanks.

Maybe they were just kidding their bosses?

Invasion didn't have this sort of issue. Invasion was so well thought out at the design phase it is really a case study on game design in and of itself.

Can we talk about the abuse of spawning vehicles in the first phase of Warzone Assault, especially on Summit?

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/l%20RyanW%20l/video/13219569

Not the best clip but I will add that another ghost spawned in after the clip was done recording.

So basically players can continue to spawn in vehicles in Summit's Garage which is the first base to capture on Warzone Assault, leading to an almost never ending wave of just ghost, hogs, and mongeese. Because of that it makes it almost impossible to capture garage due to "Enemies Remaining: X". 

@@Sal1ent Can something be done here? Like preventing vehicles to spawn in the garage when there are enemies in the base?

I've seen this happen a lot in the little amount of Warzone I've grinded.

There are simple solutions:

- Delay spawn timer until the zone is uncontested if the area you're attempting to spawn a vehicle in has enemies in it.

OR

- Spawn a vehicle in the other (starting base) garage if the zone is has enemies or is being captured.

OR

- Disable spawning vehicles altogether if the zone has enemies or is being captured (this might not work because of how the UI allows you to pick REQ then switch the spawn location after)

To be fair, what you're describing is EXACTLY what I said would happen with Warzone. It's not a casual friendly experience.

Warzone is a rich get richer system.

You play more you earn more REQ's, you win more games and you earn even more REQ's.

Saying Warzone isn't Pay to Win is a joke.

Yeah, sure, you can't pay $5 to win a game, but you can pay $5 to spawn with a tank every time you die which is essentially the same thing. If you're not paying real currency you're paying with your time.

If 343 expects casuals to stick around for Warzone they're kidding themselves. Warzone needs to undergo some serious changes if 343 wants to keep a casual audience interested because right now it's a few guys that jump into a party, spam REQ's all game and then spawn camp for 10 minutes while you're trapped in a base with only 2 exits...

Just another issue that should have been solved in the concept phase. Bases need a "secret" exit that doesn't allow vehicle access so that players can escape a base if they're getting spawn camped without having to run out of 1 of 2 exits that are guarded by 6 scorpion tanks.

I understand that there are teams out there who run Warzone for the full intention of capping three bases and spawn killing but I've personally run into that once in both Assault and Warzone. Whenever I run with a full squad, we always cap all three bases as fast as we can and then push for the core. No padding out the game, just rush and destroy it. 

Totally agree that Warzone is a rich get richer system but players are going to abuse that when XP and REQ Point payouts are all based on game length. It's why the weekend playlist this week is nearly worthless. Games end too fast with players usually getting 1-2k XP and 600 REQ points. 

Ideally you want to reward people for ending games faster. Funnily enough, they tried to do this in Halo: Reach for Grifball. 343 claimed they were changing the payouts so if games ended fast, you'd get a decent payout. Somehow they did the exact opposite and made longer games pay out more, encouraging players to spawn kill and hold the bomb back for as long as possible. 

Invasion didn't have this sort of issue. Invasion was so well thought out at the design phase it is really a case study on game design in and of itself.

Meh. Having two to three spawn points for an entire team of six players that are way in the open with almost zero cover is not exactly well thought out. Having players spawn with absolute garbage weapons for the first phase of the game and then Shotguns and Swords in the third phase isn't either. Look at how easy it is to steal the Banshee on Spire or most of the Forge maps, Elites have ZERO weapons that can damage the Banshee, it's literally game over if that happens. Invasion was a fun concept and 100 times more interesting than Warzone or Dominion, but say it's a case study in game design is stretching it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I remember Phase 1 in Invasion actually being somewhat balanced when Plasma Repeaters were strong in the beta. Then Bungie nerfed them for whatever odd reason

A little off-topic, but I found this in the CSGO subreddit.

bf4 is a completely different kind of shooter with a very different experience. CoD is closer, but honestly modern COD is more similar to halo than anything else in style of play. There's no replacement for CS.

I remember @@C0ZM05 making a post a few days ago about how Halo's lost its uniqueness in the public mind, and thus becomes a less desirable game.

Here are people considering a potential CSGO replacement due to the recent updates and the perceived "out-of-touch" vibe they're getting from Valve, and Halo is written off as modern CoD is more similar to Halo than anything else. The post had 25 upvotes, also.

I don't even care whether that statement is true or not. The perception is what matters when trying to build a community and attract new players. Would anyone in their right mind have ever made that comparison back in 2007? Or 2009 after MW2?

• Upvote (+1) 8

Is it me or do gungoose drivers have way too much health?

I think it's more the hitboxes on Mongoose/Gungoose drivers being terrible.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I remember Phase 1 in Invasion actually being somewhat balanced when Plasma Repeaters were strong in the beta. Then Bungie nerfed them for whatever odd reason

Wasn't so balanced when all Spartans were able to snipe Elites in phase 1 with the DMRs. Killing frenzies were everywhere when you could just pick them off

A little off-topic, but I found this in the CSGO subreddit.

I remember @@C0ZM05 making a post a few days ago about how Halo's lost its uniqueness in the public mind, and thus becomes a less desirable game.

Here are people considering a potential CSGO replacement due to the recent updates and the perceived "out-of-touch" vibe they're getting from Valve, and Halo is written off as modern CoD is more similar to Halo than anything else. The post had 25 upvotes, also.

I don't even care whether that statement is true or not. The perception is what matters when trying to build a community and attract new players. Would anyone in their right mind have ever made that comparison back in 2007? Or 2009 after MW2?

That sounds more like he's writing CoD off than writing Halo off.

• Upvote (+1) 1

That sounds more like he's writing CoD off than writing Halo off.

Even worse, writing CoD off because it's similar to Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 2