CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I'm really not a fan of breakout on asymmetrical maps at all. I get the weekend playlists are for fun or whatever, but it ruins the competitive aspect of the game mode entirely.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic? I was just letting you know that you can get other stuff out of the arena pack...

Haha nonono I was saying you win the RNG lottery. We both got boosts and you actually got something worthwhile. No sarcasm homie.

Good grammar is cool, but damn, I think you go a little to far.

You can never go "too far" with grammar.

You're missing my point. When I see you post, I'm expecting something about REQs or armor. Which is fine; thats part of Halo. But I'd estimate maybe 25% pertains to the corr game or mechanics or actual discussion.

Not to sound defensive, but what exactly is there to say on Halo 5's core mechanics/the discussion that wouldn't just be a reiteration of what I, or someone else has said already? I mean, I've said my parts on what I like/dislike with the game, and I won't go further on them (In depth, at least), because I'll either just come off as cynical, or be downvoted and argue more, for saying what I like (Subjective things like art style, gameplay elements, etc).

P.S: Sorry for responding late; arguing like this is just mentally exhausting. 

Asymmetric maps in Breakout alone is terrible.

Eden also has a HUGE disadvantage for red team. Blue team starts up top, can drop down and climb in the window with the flag to score, where as red team has to go all the way around to get anywhere near the capture point.

But Red has the advantage in getting to rockets.

This new Breakout variant is one of the better modes in Halo 5. The next big improvements to it would be alternating rounds and removal of radar.

After experiencing this, I have no desire to go back to the old one. Sorry for the time that went into the maps, but it just isn't as fun. And anyway, looking at time sunk into something isn't the way to move forward and make progress.

Despite the search times which, as usual, got long as we hit the higher tiers of Champion, it's been a fun night.

• Upvote (+1) 5

ANYTHING NEW WITH H5/MCC?

new info on h5, but why in holy hell are you expecting any info on mcc at all?

Asymmetric maps in Breakout alone is terrible.

Eden also has a HUGE disadvantage for red team.  Blue team starts up top, can drop down and climb in the window with the flag to score, where as red team has to go all the way around to get anywhere near the capture point.

You can shoot the silver barrel on the small "jump up" structure in front of blue window to extend a platform and gain access to blue base from the front window.

I've found that blue has the advantage on that map. With proper slide boosting, it's a lot easier to get to rockets (and get good grenades on them) than it is for red team. Red team tends to have a safer access to catwalk/shotgun though.

But like I said, alternating rounds would fix this stuff in a heartbeat.

• Upvote (+1) 1

You can never go "too far" with grammar.

It's similar to typing in all caps. All caps are hard to read and generally give you headaches because your brain isn't used to processing letters in their uppercase form one after another. You have to actually process each letter rather than just move through them naturally. Your constant italics, bolds, underlines, spaces, and general robotic like paragraphs are a pain. 

new info on h5, but why in holy hell are you expecting any info on mcc at all?

DO YOU RECEIVE CHECKS FROM THE GOVERNMENT, BRUV?

MCC UPDATES PERHAPS? LIKE MAYBE AFTER A YEAR THEY FINALLY FIXED SOME BUGS? 1 BUG AT LEAST? ADDED NEW PLAYLISTS?

AND WHAT'S NEW IN H5?

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 4

MCC UPDATES PERHAPS? LIKE MAYBE AFTER A YEAR THEY FINALLY FIXED SOME BUGS? 1 BUG AT LEAST? ADDED NEW PLAYLISTS?

AND WHAT'S NEW IN H5?

ill tell you as soon as you dial down the all caps

It's similar to typing in all caps. All caps are hard to read and generally give you headaches because your brain isn't used to processing letters in their uppercase form one after another. You have to actually process each letter rather than just move through them naturally. Your constant italics, bolds, underlines, spaces, and general robotic like paragraphs are a pain. 

I don't follow, at all. I mean, I've been noted as "odd" or something of the like for following certain grammatical norms, but I've never been told that proper-ness in writing is a pain to someone's mind. That's just... Odd to me.

• Upvote (+1) 2

AND WHAT'S NEW IN H5?

Stop trying to impersonate Billy Mays.

Just got caught up with the Forge stuff today. I think I'm going to be sitting in forge remaking movie sets for the next couple weeks.

• Upvote (+1) 1

This new Breakout variant is one of the better modes in Halo 5. The next big improvements to it would be alternating rounds and removal of radar.

After experiencing this, I have no desire to go back to the old one. Sorry for the time that went into the maps, but it just isn't as fun. And anyway, looking at time sunk into something isn't the way to move forward and make progress.

Despite the search times which, as usual, got long as we hit the higher tiers of Champion, it's been a fun night.

I haven't had a chance to try Arena Breakout, but I do hope it supersedes the version of Breakout we've known since Halo 5's beta, primarily because the requirement that the mode is played on it own limited set of specific maps, which are in turn not used for other game modes, places a non-trivial burden on the Arena map pool.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't follow, at all. I mean, I've been noted as "odd" or something of the like for following certain grammatical norms, but I've never been told that proper-ness in writing is a pain to someone's mind. That's just... Odd to me.

Don't worry about that sort of shit. You don't have to please all the people. Some people will dislike you no matter what you do, just because it seems a bit different than usual. It goes for almost everyone. I've had people treat me as weird for standing out in terms of looks, and I never gave a shit. In fact, I turned it into one of my main "selling points". The last thing you should do is lose your individuality because someone considers it odd or out-of-place.

If your posts are readable, and you're able to form valid opinions without offending people, then that's as far as it goes for whether you should post on forums or not. There's no such thing as "too proper grammar"... that's just bitching to bitch. Trust me, it's not hard to skip a post which you can identify by an avatar. Most people scroll past thousands if not tens of thousands of words they have no interest in reading every day. Complaining about something like that holds no merit.

You do you.

• Upvote (+1) 9

some thoughts on Arena Breakout

PROS

• Full Shields/Unanimity w/ Arena Gametypes
  • Arena Maps are a bit more complex than the Breakout maps, making gameplay potential a little bit more diverse
  • Visual diversity among maps

CONS

• Some maps have no weapons at all, and the ones that do are poorly thought out. A mere Shotgun/Sword on Regret/Truth isn't going to make players think and set up around weapons. I don't even think Plaza had any weapons at all in fact. Rig is probably the strongest example because there is a STRONG Power Weapon, but since that is everyone's focus there isn't much diversity. If there are multiple items of interest for people to tackle round by round it would make things much more interesting
  • The start of rounds is sort of clunky and jarring IMO. Maybe I'm just used to the immersive Breakout launch-in but I feel like the rounds start very abruptly
  • Radar (combined with lame weapons like Sword/Shotgun amplify the issues it causes)
  • Symmetrical maps are essentially the same linear gameplay as the Breakout maps, primarily two teams rushing at each other and pressing a numbers advantage
  • Not a lot of room for comebacks due to shields AND the lack of power weapons.

All in all I think they blew their opportunity to actually make a compelling round-based game type. I imagined a game type like Plaza Breakout where teams would have to contest over strong weapons like Rockets/Railgun/Snipe/OS in neutral locations like Plaza, Cinema, Bottom/Top Mid, etc. Right now the lack of emphasis on Power Weapons makes this game type less enjoyable for me, personally.

Even Gambol Breakout had more diversity in strategy, the setup/fight for Camo being an excellent example of what Breakout has the potential of being, but instead they through people on a bunch of symmetrical maps and slammed teams into each others faces for 9 rounds. Then add on the fact that there is very little room for comeback (lack of shields) and things just start to look sloppy.

I thought it was slightly better than Breakout on maps like Crossfire/Trench but I honestly think I would rather play Gambol Breakout than Regret Arena Breakout any day.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Woooooooow. 

Also who's on tonight, I'm pleasantly buzzed and could maybe stand to play this game. 

THAT was the game? I mean, hmmm  seems not worth the wait in lobby for that match.  What do you see interesting about it?