CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

9am Sunday morning in Aus and can't find a game in a single playlist, one month out.

I'm even timing out of warzone.

Not to be another non-NA player pissing and moaning on TB about the population but this is terrible.

343 need to do something quickly to create some incentive for players to come back as their current sustain plan is just managing to rearrange deck chairs on the titanic.

Thats the biggest problem, is little fixes now aren't going to bring players back. If you want a good population you have to do it right from the beginning.

Thats the biggest problem, is little fixes now aren't going to bring players back. If you want a good population you have to do it right from the beginning.

No worries, I'm sure in 3 or 4 months from now, we'll finally get a sandbox rebalance (which will be a great timing to release the CE pistol since we won't need it anymore), new old gametypes, SR will be changed to cool icons instead of numbers, and everyone will have good search times.

We'll call it:

Halo 5 Turbo.

• Upvote (+1) 3

343's way of doing things just pisses me off to no end. I can't explain it. I get this inner rage. I may need a therapist.

• Upvote (+1) 8

No worries, I'm sure in 3 or 4 months from now, we'll finally get a sandbox rebalance (which will be a great timing to release the CE pistol since we won't need it anymore), new old gametypes, SR will be changed to cool icons instead of numbers, and everyone will have good search times.

We'll call it:

Halo 5 Turbo.

If only 343 would cater their HALO game completely around HALO fans. They'd sell less copies but I guarantee they'd hold a higher and more consistent population throughout the games span.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

If only 343 would cater their HALO game completely around HALO fans. They'd sell less copies but I guarantee they'd hold a higher and more consistent population throughout the games span.

While I'd like to see a game that I'd call a traditional Halo game, I don't think such a game is possible to create any more.

What is clasic Halo? HCE? H2/3? Is Reach 2.0 still acceptable ( apperantly some people on here see it as a true Halo...)

Anyway, I'd love to see something like HCE 2.0...one can always dream ..

Searching solo in sniper placement games and its safe to say I will be staying as far away from searching solo on my main account as I possibly can. Lose two games in a row 49-50 and normally I wouldn't care much and I usually get hyped and a buzz when its 49-49 but with these games it was just completely infuriating because people like SpartanGeorge245259 are dropping neg 13 bombs and when I look after, these people get placed in the same division I'm in despite having neg K/D. Why? I just want to know what I have done to be matched with these people in my team and why they are diamond along with me.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Halo 5 Guardians:

- get a really good team of four together.

- search solo and get completly raped against TO4s

- play Warzone for REQ points

:/

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

The misuse of meme's that goes on, on these forums is just disturbing.

The life of dank memes and dank memeage is not for everyone, thus the improper use of said dank memes will be quite common. 

Source: Beyond Entertainment LLC's official Dank Meme Aficionado; CEO Dank Memes Inc. 

• Upvote (+1) 9

I envision a future where connection and latency are no longer a matter. :'( 

or at least maybe when I am 80 

So light can travel around the earth in ~7.50 times in 1 second. 

1 second / 7.50 times = 0.133 seconds 

Lets divide 0.133 seconds in half because no connection will ever loop around the earth just to get itself.( In your perfect world )

0.066 seconds to travel across half the earth.

This is still wrong.

JT79Y.gif

Assuming ISPs are not shit and everything is fibre optic the light would still be slowed down because it is not going straight but bouncing off at certain angles.

But fuck that math, im not doing it but good fibre optic cables can be ~99% effective( In the future )? Also you have to take into account data-centers, routers, modems all that BS.

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/151498-researchers-create-fiber-network-that-operates-at-99-7-speed-of-light-smashes-speed-and-latency-records

But I'll just continue with the best case scenario with 0.066 seconds being the worst latency time in a 100% effective world.

That is a ping of 66 milliseconds! Which is ossim! 

Personally 120 ping is where things start to get unplayable, and 150 is borderline bad. But hey, I've seen Australian gamers kick my ass with 250ping in Halo PC! And we all know how Halo PC works... 

• Upvote (+1) 4

I need to stop spending all my REQ points when I reach 5k or 6k, I'll probably get that Noble set faster.

I hope the Mark IV isn't restricted to Legendary status I mean come on the Noble has Prototype Mark V shoulders... And it's only "rare"...

I need to stop spending all my REQ points when I reach 5k or 6k, I'll probably get that Noble set faster.

I hope the Mark IV isn't restricted to Legendary status I mean come on the Noble has Prototype Mark V shoulders... And it's only "rare"...

I don't get why Noble, a set based off of Commando/K has MK V shoulders. Wouldn't it make sense to have shoulders based on Commando/K variant shoulders? I dunno.

I don't get why Noble, a set based off of Commando/K has MK V shoulders. Wouldn't it make sense to have shoulders based on Commando/K variant shoulders? I dunno.

I think it might have been best to reserve those pieces for remaking a whole set of REACH style Mark V armor. I also wish the interior plating was bulkier, looks like aircraft parts stuck to a bracelet.

I think it might have been best to reserve those pieces for remaking a whole set of REACH style armor. I also wish the interior plating was bulkier, looks like aircraft parts stuck to a bracelet.

Ehhhh, would look better than the pseudo-MK V pieces, which hang too low on the arms to make a discernible impact on the player model. The larger, curved shoulders would look so much better, and more imposing. Kinda like Viper's.

343 seems to be trying to contribute to the singularity of FPS games on console and their hope is that they can create the best "modern console shooter". This direction is misguided and has backfired once before. 

That is the single most confusing aspect of the way 343 approaches Halo. The most successful, popular and "best" games are always so busy doing their own thing and setting trends rather than following them. It always feels like 343 is chasing what's been done before and they'll never even live up to their own franchise doing that much less beat what is currently hot. 

There is no evidence of that being true. In general (not you), a certain kind of apologist or sympathizer may try to claim that, but its just inaccurate. Its more about 343 trying to leave their stamp on Halo. Unfortunately, their vision seems to be one of genericness and we have a track record with Halo 4 and Halo 5. What they have inadvertently done is cut off the nose to spite the face.

Halo, up to this point in time, has been Microsoft's most transcendent franchise. Slap the Halo logo on the box and it would have sold millions of copies. Microsoft would only need to give it the marketing job it always does and everything would take care of itself. Traditional Halo gamers are extremely varied. Some like the lore and campaign. Some like the general vibe and social aspects of the game. Some like how it traditionally provided an arena-like experience. Some are all of the above. But what can be agreed upon is that the depth and variety of Halo gameplay is unmatched by most shooters..... or it should be.

343 didn't need to try and reinvent the wheel by adding generic mechanisms from other trendy shooters. That defeats the purpose. Halo 4 and Halo 5 are not too different in that regard. The experience may not be overbearingly similar, but the philosophy from the top down is no different. Generic mechanisms added to gameplay to cater to a nonexistent kind of gamer. Loadouts and weapon-drops? ADS, comic book power abilities?....and the list goes on.

Halo CE, 2, and then 3 all played differently. But for the most part, the foundation that made up Halo gameplay was never compromised. The principles of Halo gameplay and its arena-style origins were never blatantly violated. The Halo that many of us are asking for doesn't need to be a carbon copy of any of its predecessors. The original trilogy shows how each of the games can play differently, while not corrupting the integrity of the foundation. 343 took inspiration from the trendiest of trendy console shooters and implemented that into Halo 4 and Halo 5, but in different ways. It didn't need to be that way. Unfortunately, the external influences (mechanisms) added to Halo 5 come from a different style of shooter than Halo. There is a fundamental incompatibility with some of the mechanisms and this leads to a foundation that becomes weakened. Gameplay then suffers.

Casuals don't want to play a Halo that tries to emulate other trendy shooters. If anything it pushes them away. Gamers want to play a franchise that has a purpose. A Halo that has gone back to its roots has purpose. Gamers from other shooters that buy Halo don't want to play a game where the totality of the experience is similar to their shooter of choice. People get bored doing that. What they want is a game that offers a unique experience so they can play it whenever they want a change-up from their routine. That is how you get casuals and dabblers to continue to come back, months and months after release.

343 seems to be trying to contribute to the singularity of FPS games on console and their hope is that they can create the best "modern console shooter". This direction is misguided and has backfired once before. We'll see what happens in Halo 5. The only thing that is certain is that 343 is hindering Halo's potential to get non-attached gamers (PS4/PC) to take notice of it. 343 is limiting Halo to be simply a great exclusive for XBox gamers instead of it being a console seller to non-attached gamers. These gamers from afar will assume Halo 5 is just another take on the modern console shooter, rightly or wrongly.

You have no more evidence that it isn't true than I do that it is. It's an opinion.
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2