CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

If they come out and reveal a REAL map pack and social playlists this game has a shot. If not, its done. It will never regain population.

Can't wait for the remixed versions of Plaza/Rig/Fathom...finally some UNSC maps :walshy::kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 7

I know these "advanced movement mechanics" are all the rage right now in console FPS games. But, why?

COD has declined in popularity since implementing them. Titanfall MP bombed. H5 bombed. Destiny is popular but you'd be hardpressed to find anyone who would attribute that to crucible gameplay.

the only halo to actually succeed and have abilities was reach, and it wasn't even really because of them, like destiny.

I know these "advanced movement mechanics" are all the rage right now in console FPS games. But, why? COD has declined in popularity since implementing them. Titanfall MP bombed. H5 bombed.

Except, CoD started dying (Or losing population) with Ghosts, Titanfall bombed for reasons outside of its movement options, and Halo 5's decline has most likely been due to a lack of content and a lack of social playlists.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

First Friday of December is tomorrow. This game's life essentially hinges on tomorrow night's weekly update.

Couldn't agree more; tomorrow's weekly update is their last chance to seriously improve the game before the post-Christmas player population bump (assuming that the update will go live in the next two weeks).  BF4 and CS:GO have shown that the player base will increase if you fix a game's problems, and the basic gameplay of H5 is good; if H5 has a ton of great features by Christmas then the population could hopefully reach 100k consistently.

We're not getting 4sk pistol or the removal of sprint or any of the other things that the TB community is obsessed with, but I think the best-case scenario would be something like:

• Addition of at least 1-2 social playlists
  • Rank reset / rank system tweaking
  • MM party restrictions
  • Full, robust forge with file sharing etc.
  • A handful of new maps (probably forge-based)
  • Slight automatic weapon nerf

People complain quite a bit in this thread, but H5 will be legitimately good with these changes.  Sadly I think we'll just see forge released, the addition of one social playlist, and that's it (on like Dec. 22 lol)

• Upvote (+1) 1

Couldn't agree more; tomorrow's weekly update is their last chance to seriously improve the game before the post-Christmas player population bump (assuming that the update will go live in the next two weeks).  BF4 and CS:GO have shown that the player base will increase if you fix a game's problems, and the basic gameplay of H5 is good; if H5 has a ton of great features by Christmas then the population could hopefully reach 100k consistently.

We're not getting 4sk pistol or the removal of sprint or any of the other things that the TB community is obsessed with, but I think the best-case scenario would be something like:

• Addition of at least 1-2 social playlists
  • Rank reset / rank system tweaking
  • MM party restrictions
  • Full, robust forge with file sharing etc.
  • A handful of new maps (probably forge-based)
  • Slight automatic weapon nerf

People complain quite a bit in this thread, but H5 will be legitimately good with these changes.  Sadly I think we'll just see forge released, the addition of one social playlist, and that's it (on like Dec. 22 lol)

add better server selection and I'd be happy for now

Edit: confirmation that we'll get actual non UNSC-maps should be possible too..

He's doing what a lot of people are, which is forgetting that sprint is a multi-faceted problem (or he's just that much more focused on kill times, which is not a trivial issue). Not only does it enable you to get away from battle, but it also enables you to get back in to battle much more quickly than you should be able to, especially off spawn. One of the speed parameters of Halo is the downtime created by respawn duration, physical separation (map structure), and distance. When you die, you spawn somewhere else - presumably you were in an area of some kind of importance, whether it be strategic for map dominance or the location of a power item. In CE, you now have to wait to respawn, you have to wait until you get back into firing position, and then you have to wait until you get back to that location. What sprint does is essentially devalue a successful kill; when you kill someone, more importantly than scoring a point you are creating space and time for yourself to plan and position as you like. If someone can just sprint right back at you off spawn, you lose some of that strategic advantage; with four players a side, this limitation is significantly compounded. It's just as bad in H5 now that we have thrust and clamber, because these enable you to traverse what would normally have been natural obstacles, grossly shortening the amount of time it takes to get back into engagement and harass a player again.

Oh for fucks sake, meant to upvote :/
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Except, CoD started dying (Or losing population) with Ghosts, Titanfall bombed for reasons outside of its movement options, and Halo 5's decline has most likely been due to a lack of content and a lack of social playlists.

Those are assumptions.

Halo 5's decline has most likely been due to a lack of content and a lack of social playlists.

Wrong. Halo 5's decline is from the gameplay sucking. They can add forge, a ton of social playlists, and a million more armor pieces, but it's not going to solve the deep underlying issues of this game. This game is done no matter what.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Those are assumptions.

Wouldn't bet on it for CoD.

CoD: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-12-12-call-of-duty-us-retail-sales-down-27-percent-year-over-year

Titanfall was something one could attribute almost entirely to pre-release hype. In game, there's not a lot of content, and the game falls short in many aspects, outside of gameplay, including customization, and gun variants. On top of that, the feeling of progression was generally nill. However, the last thing anyone gave Titanfall flak for was its movement option and is undeniably not the reason it died. Are you going to tell me the sole reason Titfanfall died was solely/mainly due to advanced mobility, something people were hyped and sold on, due to the parkour-badass nature of it, and not the game's other flaws?

And Halo 5? It's generally accepted that a lot of Halo 5's issues here stem from a lack of content and social playlists. Some of us complain on SA's, some don't, but it's almost universally accepted that Halo 5 lacks content as of now, and also lacks a casual complex for the casual playerbase. This leads to nothing to do, but either Warzone it up, or play with a TO4 in Arena (Or do the opposite, play as a solo player, and get destroyed). It's not hard to come to the conclusion that advanced mobility isn't an issue, mainly towards the game's success. (Of course, competitively, that's another story).

Wrong. Halo 5's decline is from the gameplay sucking. They can add forge, a ton of social playlists, and a million more armor pieces, but it's not going to solve the deep underlying issues of this game. This game is done no matter what.

Nah

I know these "advanced movement mechanics" are all the rage right now in console FPS games. But, why?

COD has declined in popularity since implementing them. Titanfall MP bombed. H5 bombed. Destiny is popular but you'd be hardpressed to find anyone who would attribute that to crucible gameplay.

At least Titanfall was designed from the ground up with the advance movements in mind. It brought something different to the current landscape of shooters and tried to differentiate itself. Full disclosure: I never played it, but I can respect Respawn's approach to the game. Respawn tried to differentiate Titanfall and carve out a niche, while 343 seems to be trying to make Halo more similar to the alternatives.

COD with its yearly releases and continued path of shallow feeling gunplay is becoming a shooter that simply tries to integrate the trends surrounding its release. Black Ops 3 features exaggerated specials/fantasy vibes (Destiny) and then wall-running/robotics (Titanfall). It is ironic in some sense to see this in COD. There was a time when COD was becoming the most popular shooter on consoles and the super-casuals said, "Halo is too futuristic. Its not realistic enough and there is too much jumping around." It also wouldn't surprise me if Activision pressured Treyarch to release a COD like this before Titanfall 2 is a multiplatform release.

At least in those games the advanced movement system is compatible with the gunplay and gameplay. What is disappointing is that 343 didn't realize the fundamental incompatibility these mechanisms have with Halo gameplay and gunplay. Halo's gameplay and gunplay has aways had more depth compared to its console counterparts. It doesn't need gimmicks to be able to provide a satisfying experience. It doesn't need added gimmicks to make you feel like you aren't wasting your time.

Its difficult to respect 343's approach when many of the gameplay changes in Halo 5 seem to target a sheep mentality. 343 says the right things and maybe their hearts are in the right place. But sometimes actions speak louder than words. When you see something like ADS on numerous guns, it just makes you cringe to think about the thought-process that led to that decision. And that mentality is simply misguided. A game like Star Wars Battlefront does not have ADS. Think about that for a moment. A game designed around super-casual play does not have ADS. Yet 343 figured that it might make non-Halo gamers feel comfortable and give them a familiar experience.

Halo is a game that doesn't need to contribute to the singularity of console FPS gaming. Its foundation is strong enough to stand on its own.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Quick, the mods are sleeping. Break all the rules...

Yeah, don't do that. A few users have just been banned for it. Next time don't join in on the 'discussion', just report it and ignore it.

What rule was broken?

Those are assumptions.

So is the idea that advanced movement mechanics are hurting FPS games. :/

• Upvote (+1) 6

Nope, the general consensus, at least outside of TB, seems to be that the gameplay is great. Problems are that its lacking content and social aspects, the playlist management is pretty poor, and a few other more minor aspects.
  • Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I remember reading this a while back when @@chaosTheory posted it. I agree that having a utility weapon that has a fast TTK can help alleviate some of the issues that sprint causes in Halo but like @@Cursed Lemon said, sprint is a multi-faceted problem so it can't be solved that easily. Advocating for a faster TTK with the pistol in Halo 5 is a good place to start though, we can't focus on removing all of Halo 5 issues at once.

Anyways what do you think about having these type of movements in Halo instead of sprint and the other spartan abilities?

How the heck do you counter spartan charge from behind? Happens at least once a game where someone is sprinting around the map looking for prey and bam, I get RKO'd out of nowhere. I'm not sure how that isn't OP?

I legitimately want to know if anyone has a good counter for that other than don't get run up on from behind.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Wouldn't bet on it for CoD.

CoD: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-12-12-call-of-duty-us-retail-sales-down-27-percent-year-over-year

Titanfall was something one could attribute almost entirely to pre-release hype. In game, there's not a lot of content, and the game falls short in many aspects, outside of gameplay, including customization, and gun variants. On top of that, the feeling of progression was generally nill. However, the last thing anyone gave Titanfall flak for was its movement option and is undeniably not the reason it died. Are you going to tell me the sole reason Titfanfall died was solely/mainly due to advanced mobility, something people were hyped and sold on, due to the parkour-badass nature of it, and not the game's other flaws?

And Halo 5? It's generally accepted that a lot of Halo 5's issues here stem from a lack of content and social playlists. Some of us complain on SA's, some don't, but it's almost universally accepted that Halo 5 lacks content as of now, and also lacks a casual complex for the casual playerbase. This leads to nothing to do, but either Warzone it up, or play with a TO4 in Arena (Or do the opposite, play as a solo player, and get destroyed). It's not hard to come to the conclusion that advanced mobility isn't an issue, mainly towards the game's success. (Of course, competitively, that's another story).

Ghosts had it's own set of issues and it also launched during a console generation switch over. I would argue that if AW launched with gameplay more in line with COD4/MW/Blops that it would have reversed the decline instead of falling further into it.

Your statements about titanfall and Halo 5 are assumptions. You have tons of different excuses for a bunch of different games but the one common denominator is that they have performed at a sub par level and they all have "advanced movement" mechanics.

Do I believe a lot of the issue as far as game's like titanfall and h5 are due to a lack of content? Yes. But I also believe it's a possibility that the games are just too god damned complicated for casual gamers. 

So is the idea that advanced movement mechanics are hurting FPS games. :/

Yes, obviously.

But you cannot disprove an assumption with another assumption.

How the heck do you counter spartan charge from behind? Happens at least once a game where someone is sprinting around the map looking for prey and bam, I get RKO'd out of nowhere. I'm not sure how that isn't OP?

I legitimately want to know if anyone has a good counter for that other than don't get run up on from behind.

Happens the same to me and I don't even see them on my radar when they're running up to me until the last second.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Titanfall is such a mystery to me.  I had a TON of fun for the first 20 hours, and then the game was suddenly completely boring ... I don't quite understand it.  The movement mechanics were well-implemented, there was good weapon variety (imo), mech/titan variety, the gunplay was solid, etc.  And there was plenty of progression; you could reset your ranking 10 times and effectively reach level 500 (also there was a ton of progression for weapons etc.).  

I'm not a super-competitive player so I only understand intuitively why it stopped being fun; I have no idea WHY it stopped being fun.  Maybe just that the maps were too huge / similar?  Maps are also at least part of the reason that H4 and H5 have become a bit boring to me ...

Ghosts had it's own set of issues and it also launched during a console generation switch over. I would argue that if AW launched with gameplay more in line with COD4/MW/Blops that it would have reversed the decline instead of falling further into it.

Your statements about titanfall and Halo 5 are assumptions. You have tons of different excuses for a bunch of different games but the one common denominator is that they have performed at a sub par level and they all have "advanced movement" mechanics.

Do I believe a lot of the issue as far as game's like titanfall and h5 are due to a lack of content? Yes. But I also believe it's a possibility that the games are just too god damned complicated for casual gamers.

perhaps complexity is becoming more of a detriment, I hope so because if we can move away from it shooters would arguably be in a far better place.

Titanfall is such a mystery to me. I had a TON of fun for the first 20 hours, and then the game was suddenly completely boring ... I don't quite understand it. The movement mechanics were well-implemented, there was good weapon variety (imo), mech/titan variety, the gunplay was solid, etc. And there was plenty of progression; you could reset your ranking 10 times and effectively reach level 500 (also there was a ton of progression for weapons etc.).

I'm not a super-competitive player so I only understand intuitively why it stopped being fun; I have no idea WHY it stopped being fun. Maybe just that the maps were too huge / similar? Maps are also an issue with why H4 and H5 have become a bit boring to me ...

the game was easy as fuck, and had no content.