CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

My question is, why do I have to play against full teams way more than I can play against other solo searchers. I am a 1500 Onyx in Team Arena now. It takes me 2 seconds to find a game. Tell me what you want, but the game doesnt even look into party sizes at all.

The skill matching is a complete joke as well. Yesterday I played a solo game (yes my friends stopped playing) of Arena and this was the match up:

Me: Onyx 1500

Red 1: Diamond 5

Red 2: Diamond 2

Red 3: Diamond2

vs

Blue 1: Onyx 1971

Blue 2: Onyx 1959

Blue 3: Onyx 1826

Blue 4: Onyx 1610

Can someone explain me how the fuck this is a fair match up? I mean, if I have to play against such people, fine I take the challenge. But give me at least some other Onyx teammates and not Diamond 2s. Their worst player (rank wise) has clearly a higher rank than our best. And dont forget that they were probably a full team as well.

This game is unplayable alone and its a part of the reason why its dying so quick. The H3 1-50 was far from perfect and I dont want to start arguing about ranking systems and their flaws. All I know is, I could start a game of H3 on level 45-50 and expect a fair game, even when searching alone.

I'm learning to play with lesser skilled players, which makes the games easier and funner for me because of the people you match up with and the social aspect that comes with it.  I'm higher onyx in arena, but only platinum in slayer (I did this on purpose to create my so called social playlist).  When I go into a game of slayer, I'm usually kicked back and not playing as hard and talking to my teammates about random things (if they have mics)  I for one have a full time job, married with a kid.  I don't have enough time or dedication to put 8+ hours a day and play sweaty to4 all day in arena.  Most importantly, the objective of a "game" is to have fun and be entertaining, so if you're mad and frustrated all the time either quit the activity or find an alternate route.

Most of the people I play with and against are diamond and below sometimes silver even though I'm onyx.  So even if we get matched up the occasional onyx players I can usually carry my team and shut down their player.  It also prevents me from playing as stated above the full team of onyx players that you mentioned because of the wide division ranks of my team(You can also block that to4 so you don't match up with them again).  People such as @@Vetoed complaining of long search times when they're higher ranks need to start playing with lower skilled players to get games unless it's FFA unless you're @@Pyroteq who lives in Australia. I understand people are competitive and want to play the "best" but hey playing is better than sitting in the search lobby for hours on end trying to find a game. 

Random question: how well do you think Sprint would work in a CE-style game?

What compels you to ask such a silly question like that? Sprint doesn't mix well with Halo's fundamentals no matter what Halo game it's in. The type of movement ability options that @@Gobias describes in this post http://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/5443-halo-5-guardians-discussion/page-3303?do=findComment&comment=616661 would mesh way better with Halo's fundamentals then sprint does.

There was a VHS recording of it at the time,

Speaking of this...

This was recorded on a VHS.

I really should remaster this video...

• Upvote (+1) 3

I can unashamedly admit that I can't consistently double shot, quad shot, and RRBX in Halo 2. I understand that certain button combos in Halo 2 take a respectful amount of skill to master. Part of my problem with Halo 2 though is that a majority of the skill gap between players only comes from button combos. There's definitely a solid skill gap between players in Halo 2 but the actual shooting skill gap between players is abysmal. 

That being said I don't have a problem with button combos being in Halo as long as the actual gun skill is prioritized over them and that the shooting skill gap between players is preserved like it is in Halo CE. Sorry if this makes me come off as a Halo CE elitist, I'm just keeping it real and being blunt. Anyways I agree with you that button combos are better than spartan abilities.

Part of my problem with Halo 2 though is that a majority of the skill gap between players only comes from button combos.

wrong h2 is all about having superior positioning, movement, and awareness in addition to button comboz 

you are right however when you say the shooting is sub-par, 99% of the skill shooting in h2 involves long distance zoom battles

ce is the goat tho, don't get me wrong

so uh whens that update coming out with the new maps*

*Maps are remixes and Forge variants only

Fixed

• Upvote (+1) 1

Does anyone know when ranks are supposed to reset?

Probably when the update comes out.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

wrong h2 is all about having superior positioning, movement, and awareness in addition to button comboz 

you are right however when you say the shooting is sub-par, 99% of the skill shooting in h2 involves long distance zoom battles

ce is the goat tho, don't get me wrong

Sorry I forgot to bring up map positioning, movement, and general awareness because they are so minutiae. When people bring up the skill gap in Halo 2 I immediately think of the button combos in the game, I normally don't think of those things that you mentioned. I also understand that wall glitching was a huge part of the game.

This is what bothers me the most about 343. I see the passion from them, I think we all do. Though it's clear and simple that the people in charge do not understand how to maintain a market segment. They look at the most popular games and they think "well if we add x feature from x title, fans of x title will play our game!"

Most people who buy games don't have a full grasp on why they enjoy a game. Do you think even 80% of the people who played Halo 2/3 gave any shits about fair starts and BR spread? It never crossed their mind that those mechanics might be the real reason they enjoy the game, and that's fine.

It's like listening to a song that isn't repetitive. You enjoy listening to the whole song, but you're never thinking "Oh, I'm enjoying it because it isn't repetitive." You're thinking "I'm enjoying the song because it's a good song." You don't care why it's good, though the music enthusiasts do. And we care why Halo is good so we do know what really makes a Halo game.

Now what is that all called? Presentation. Nothing in Halo 5 comes together. The campaign works differently with revives. Warzone works differently with non-cosmetic REQ cards and MOBA elements. Breakout works differently with no shields and everything is one-hit-one-kill. Arena works differently because it's the closest to what Halo used to be. It's a mesh-up of ideas and clear evidence that 343 doesn't have a single vision for this series and it shows not only to us, but to everyone that has played this game. Players may not talk about it, but they unconsciously saw it and they stopped playing it and went to a game that does have a unified vision.

This post is eveything ive thought ablut 343

Sorry I forgot to bring up map positioning, movement, and general awareness because they are so minutiae. When people bring up the skill gap in Halo 2 I immediately think of the button combos in the game, I normally don't think of those things that you mentioned. I also understand that wall glitching was a huge part of the game.

not a huge part tbh but it was prevalent, wall glitching was basically recognizing the fact that you had a strong side and a weak side, so people would use their strong side to peak 

it was rare to see people double shooting at high level mlg h2, but everyone would bxr and nade reload and all the other good stuff

• Upvote (+1) 1

First Friday of December is tomorrow. This game's life essentially hinges on tomorrow night's weekly update.

Define "utility weapon", because I don't see how it's not one when compared to h2-h4. I'm not even trying to fight you, I just don't understand what you mean.

Seems a whole hell of a lot more useful than halo 2's SMG or Halo 3's AR/Pistol. I feel like we finally got a decent starting weapon. All people did off spawn was rush for a better weapon.

Hence the qualifier "once the settings were cleaned up". And to the bolded...that is exactly what they are doing now.

Random question: how well do you think Sprint would work in a CE-style game?

It wouldn't. The entire game of Halo, every facet of its design and every feature in it, runs at a certain speed, and the movement pace is one of those factors.

• Upvote (+1) 5

First Friday of December is tomorrow. This game's life essentially hinges on tomorrow night's weekly update.

Hope it's a biggun'

Don't hold anything back 343. Make those big changes.

I for one have a full time job, married with a kid.  I don't have enough time or dedication to put 8+ hours a day and play sweaty to4 all day in arena.  Most importantly, the objective of a "game" is to have fun and be entertaining, so if you're mad and frustrated all the time either quit the activity or find an alternate route.

Yea, I work 9 hours a day at the job I hate. I used to come home, leave that behind me and just enjoy playing with friends and having a great time. Now I am still hyped to get on, just to see that nobody is really playing it. Its just frustrating in its current form to play and I am only grinding for stupid REQ points. Such a waste of time. I think I will give another game a shot till the game gets better (hopefully)

Currently thinking about buying Just Cause 3.

This game's life essentially hinges on tomorrow night's weekly update.

Why do you think so? I dont expect much.

Hope it's a biggun'

Don't hold anything back 343. Make those big changes.

4 Shot pistol. 

Aim fix.

New non-forge maps

Oddball

Assault

KotH

If I could only dream!

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yea, I work 9 hours a day at the job I hate. I used to come home, leave that behind me and just enjoy playing with friends and having a great time. Now I am still hyped to get on, just to see that nobody is really playing it. Its just frustrating in its current form to play and I am only grinding for stupid REQ points. Such a waste of time. I think I will give another game a shot till the game gets better (hopefully)

Sorry, that you hate your job. If you want people to play with just add me, I never go into matchmaking alone unless it's my "social" playlist, if it's my arena which I'm onyx. I would recommend to never go solo if you're a higher rank

GT: Aiex Gurren

What compels you to ask such a silly question like that? Sprint doesn't mix well with Halo's fundamentals no matter what Halo game it's in. The type of movement ability options that @@Gobias describes in this post http://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/5443-halo-5-guardians-discussion/page-3303?do=findComment&comment=616661 would mesh way better with Halo's fundamentals then sprint does.

It wouldn't. The entire game of Halo, every facet of its design and every feature in it, runs at a certain speed, and the movement pace is one of those factors.

http://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/8296-was-sprint-the-real-issue-in-hr-and-h4/page-6?do=findComment&comment=362267

Don't do that just yet. Just Cause 3 suffers from performance issues, as of now. I'd just wait until the patch comes out, THEN buy it, at least, if said patch does anything.

If they come out and reveal a REAL map pack and social playlists this game has a shot. If not, its done. It will never regain population.

I know these "advanced movement mechanics" are all the rage right now in console FPS games. But, why?

COD has declined in popularity since implementing them. Titanfall MP bombed. H5 bombed. Destiny is popular but you'd be hardpressed to find anyone who would attribute that to crucible gameplay.

• Upvote (+1) 2