CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Played FFA customs on truth with BR start it was actually fun starting with an "utility" weapon unlike what 343i makes us start off with in Arena and slayer.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Fixed that first part for you. Halo 3's BR is objectively more fun and competitive to use in the Halo 3 sandbox than the magnum is in the Halo 5 sandbox.

If you wanna try and explain how a burst fire weapon is more skill-taking then a single shot one, then go nuts. However, there is no such thing as "objectively" being fun to use. That's subjective. It's an opinion, not a fact. Don't treat it as such.

P.S: Don't modify my posts to make it seem like I said the game sucks. That's just childish.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I thought that the third bullet actually had a very high chance of deviating from the center of its crosshair. Do you know the percentages? I at one point did but I completely forget. Also, in what way is it objectively more fun? I feel competitive as least has some factors to measure which could be better or worse, but fun's a tough one.

I have no clue on the percentages, just speaking from experience of use. Objectively more fun than H5 weapons in that it took more skill to use, had more depth with the shot leading, and you were mainly fighting others who were using the same utility weapon.

The work in progress pictures @@Moa released was probably the most beautiful UI I have ever seen, way better than Reach.... This makes me really sad. I really wonder what happened to it... Too much for Xbox one to handle? :cry:

thinking K/D, Win Rate, or Skill Level designates whether you are a competitive gamer or not could be the silliest thing I've ever heard.

1.0 Onyx weighing in ayeee rofl

I'm assuming it had something to do with wanting a snappy ui that doesn't crash often.

While it is a shame since that UI is the only halo menu I've seen that rivals Reachs, i do prefer UIs that are fast and lack bugs (this is all speculation of course).

• Upvote (+1) 2

The work in progress pictures @@Moa released was probably the most beautiful UI I have ever seen, way better than Reach.... This makes me really sad. I really wonder what happened to it... Too much for Xbox one to handle? :cry:

These are mock ups as far as I'm aware? Not actually in game and functional. They probably used these as a base and designed the UI from there.

Definitely wish some of those features made it though.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The H5 magnum and the H3 BR both feel like absolute ass to aim so they can both go jump off a bridge together.

Is H1 pistol your favourite weapon? 

Can I just say that I enjoy Halo 5? Cause I really do.

halo 5 is a freaking blast and i have fun playing it 

it sucks that forge and some gametypes weren't in at launch, but the core gameplay is so much fun.  It's not perfect but they did a lot of really important things right and I can't stop playing so w/e yolo

Those 3d printed models are rough.

Looks like nothing has changed since 2009.

5427-550x-Bandmates0.jpg

If you wanna try and explain how a burst fire weapon is more skill-taking then a single shot one, then go nuts. However, there is no such thing as "objectively" being fun to use. That's subjective. It's an opinion, not a fact. Don't treat it as such.

P.S: Don't modify my posts to make it seem like I said the game sucks. That's just childish.

Sure, I'll just repeat what I said. The Halo 3 BR is more skill defining in Halo 3's sandbox than the Halo 5 pistol is in Halo 5's sandbox. Halo 5 is like Halo 3 where if it's AR starts, players are looking to switch out the pistol for a BR.

It's true though. I had my 2 week honeymoon with Halo 5 and came to the conclusion that the game flat out sucks.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Im 99% sure that those menu pictures are nothing more than concept art for the menu and not an actual functioning menu that was in the game at some point.

That amazing concept UI reminded me of a few things... Why can't we see our damn medals after the game? Why is the current UI a downgrade from even the released beta version (IMO)? I'm confident we will never know the answers to these questions, which is sad. 

Also, the "new" "complete" and "frequent" tabs in the armor menu. This was a great idea. Where is it?

The work in progress pictures @@Moa released was probably the most beautiful UI I have ever seen, way better than Reach.

Woah, maybe you should revisit the Reach UI.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I thought that the third bullet actually had a very high chance of deviating from the center of its crosshair. Do you know the percentages? I at one point did but I completely forget. Also, in what way is it objectively more fun? I feel competitive as least has some factors to measure which could be better or worse, but fun's a tough one.

"In Halo 3, each bullet from the Battle Rifle’s three-round burst is networked individually under the cases outlined above. Additionally, each bullet has a different margin of error, with the first round from the Battle Rifle being the most accurate of the three bullets. The first bullet can have an error between 0 and .15 degrees off of the true aiming vector. The third bullet is between 0 and 0.38 degrees, the second bullet falls somewhere between the first and third. It is a mistake to look at where the third bullet lands and assume all three bullets are that inaccurate. The outliers (0.15 on bullet 1 and 0.38 on bullet 3) are the absolute worst-case scenarios. In that context those numbers don’t mean a whole lot – but in the grand scheme thing of how the Battle Rifle operates, they are pretty meaningful."

"Another design goal with the Battle Rifle in Halo 3 was to bring the kill-range closer. One way this was achieved was by giving bullets 2 and 3 from the BR a wider error, which makes them less likely to land outside of the BR’s intended effective range. Summarily, this reduces the BR’s effectiveness AND damage output at those ranges, without compromising its ability to finish a target at the same range."

"SIN(Bullet’s Margin of Error)xDistance to Target in WU(world units) = Actual margin of error from target

For the first, and most accurate bullet coming from the Battle Rifle here’s the equation: 

SIN(.15)xDistance in World Units = Error margin for a given bullet at a specific range. 

In the case of the Battle Rifle on Guardian, the approximate distance from Snipe 2 to Gold 2 is roughly 18 world units. Plugging those numbers into the equation yields a value of .047 world units in the absolute worst case scenario for that bullet. Since one world unit is equal to 10 feet, the variation on that bullet is 0.047 world units, or roughly half of a foot. Considering that the Spartan model is 0.75 world units (the Chief is 7 and a half feet tall) you can get a pretty good idea of what kind of variation will come from that bullet, that works out to roughly a half a foot of variation at that distance. The Chief’s helmet is approximately 0.094 world units wide, so if the shields pop, that bullet – aimed and fired accurately – under reasonable network conditions yields a kill."

Source:

http://halo.bungie.net/news/content.aspx?cid=14347

Quoted the relevant bits (again). S2 to G2 on Guardian has as much as almost half a helmet's variation one the first, most accurate bullet. That means the second and third are both capable of missing entirely.

Personally I consider that to be mid-range at best, certainly not long range. Combine that with the questionable netcode and the inevitably shoddy connections of the day and the conclusion is that the Halo 3 BR's only redeeming quality (travel time) works against it under the weight of the spread mechanic and registration issues by contributing to reducing the overall consistency of the weapon.

tl;dr Crap gun is crap.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Woah, maybe you should revisit the Reach UI.

Maybe! Guess I'm not used to have good UI lately cuz H4, MCC, and H5 weren't very good.... So that one really stood out to me

Sure, I'll just repeat what I said. The Halo 3 BR is more skill defining in Halo 3's sandbox than the Halo 5 pistol is in Halo 5's sandbox. Halo 5 is like Halo 3 where if it's AR starts, players are looking to switch out the pistol for a BR.

It's true though. I had my 2 week honeymoon with Halo 5 and came to the conclusion that the game flat out sucks.

In Halo 3's sandbox, you also had the Carbine, a single shot, semi auto weapon that not only made good use of "leading" mechanics, but was also generally consistent, provided you paced your shots to avoid spread. Single shot>Burst fire. Always. The BR was not the most "skill defining". Was popular, sure, but hella no to skill defining.

Towards Halo 5. Gonna again, disagree. The BR, DMR, and Carbine are easier to use than the Magnum, but the Magnum is THE most skill taking weapon in the game, unarguably. People switching out the weapon for another doesn't change that.

Ehhhh, I'd criticize Halo 3 more for its inconsistent hit detection and garbage utility weapon over its pacing.

Not talking about the pacing, actually the general gameplay feel. Plodding movement, shitty feeling weapons etc.

IIRC autos with bleed through made it really strong (accidentally) and couple that with 100% melee made it really good. Tbh it wasn't OP or anything, made autos better than the hot garbage they were in that game

Reach default melee took down full shields, that's 70hp. Spartan health bar is 45hp.

That means with 100% melee and bleedthrough you could one-hit-kill a player with a third of his shields up. (35% actually).

That doesn't seem right. 75% melee or no-bleedthrough, either are good fixes. (Should be 66.6666% melee for Anniversary to make it match CE but it wasn't an option)

• Upvote (+1) 1

In Halo 3's sandbox, you also had the Carbine, a single shot, semi auto weapon that not only made good use of "leading" mechanics, but was also generally consistent, provided you paced your shots to avoid spread. Single shot>Burst fire. Always. The BR was not the most "skill defining". Was popular, sure, but hella no to skill defining.

Towards Halo 5. Gonna again, disagree. The BR, DMR, and Carbine are easier to use than the Magnum, but the Magnum is THE most skill taking weapon in the game, unarguably. People switching out the weapon for another doesn't change that.

Using that logic, would you say the H3 pistol is more skill defining/competitive than the H3 BR? I'm not saying the H3 BR is the most skill defining/competitive weapon ever, but definitely more so to it's respective sandbox and H5's pistol is to it's. Nobody wants to use an utility weapon that will get mowed down by another utility weapon.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I played H3 yesterday. It was satisfying to actually miss my Snipe shots again.

But to each their own.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Why would you think a non competitive player would enjoy playing tight, competitve matches every game?

Because you were talking about the average halo player who plays ranked. Not a casual halo player.

Now you are talking about casuals?

I queue solo. So I am taking about and for the gold players I play with and play against who I talk to. This is not my opinion. I am the demographic you describe and only play with and against the demographic you described. I'm pretty sure I grasp how the players you describe feel considering they are the vast vast vast majority of players I come into contact with.