CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

You mean like Halo 4? Certain Affinity did the MP and Forge there IIRC.

No. I mean completely separate products, not in the same box, not even related other than HALO is on each box. I think I said that.

But let me clarify, 343 would have NOTHING to do with the MP or the Forge.

NOTHING.

Really, this should be in the Campaign Discussion thread, so I'll be brief:

• Allocating three missions to Blue Team was not sufficient to handle the character arcs at play.
  • There did not need to be an extensive physical fight, but Locke provided no interesting conflict or contrast to make the hunter/hunted two-player-characters dynamic work.
  • The Domain was destroyed with the firing of the Halo array is it is the Organon: Precursor technology, not fragmented I believe. Also, as far as I'm aware the Domain is a metaphysical construct, what 'appearance' would it possibly have.

To the last point, I wouldn't know, but apparently the shadowy area in John's "vision" in Blue Team, is the Domain. The former two points I could accept, but I don't "exactly" think I touched on the first. 

If this should be in the other thread, then I don't think I'll ever bother past this, arguing generally seems futile in something so horribly subjective. I'll keep it as a simple "I liked Halo 4 and 5". The orig trig was good, but I prefer where 343i went, to Bungie (Especially after the fustercluck of Reach.)

What character development?

As much people love the Arbiter, I'd like for everyone to remember that there are no points where the Arbiter deals with a great amount of internal doubt like he does in The Cole Protocol. He just switches sides after the Gravemind scoops him up. You of course can ASSUME he does, and it's just not portrayed externally, but waking up in the morning, finding snow in your yard, and coming to the conclusion that it snowed last night is not the same as actually watching the snow fall. 

Half Jaw / Arby got some cool scenes.  And Arby did have several moments on screen with guilty spark where he seemed like he was figuring things out.  I thought the Brute / Elite dynamics in the game were really well done, as well as the way the prophets spoke to either of them.  The final cutscene between the Arbiter and Tartarus where he tries telling him that Halo is a lie left a pretty good imprint on me.

Also, the gravemind is a total badass, excellent writing there.  And chief, to me at least, doesn't need to have development.  I always thought that was fine leaving that to the other characters in the cast, and leaving Cortana as a foil for anything we need to know about Chief.

.....only the halo 4 and 5 campaign are complete and utter trash that even the campaign kids hate.

I think it's best 343 does...absolutely nothing related to Halo. Ever.

Except for the perfect kill medal. That's probably their only contribution to the franchise.

exactly...

Halo 5's story was generally panned across Waypoint, excluding the typical cases.

The Universe section is pretty much the only place worth going to on Waypoint. The only real problem there are the weekly "COULD THIS CHARACTER WHO BLEW UP STILL BE ALIVE?!!!!!" threads.

Halo 5's story was generally panned across Waypoint, excluding the typical cases.

rightfully so, the campaign was short, badly paced, poorly written, the level design was good, but it doesn't out weigh everything else wrong with it.

rightfully so, the campaign was short, badly paced, poorly written, the level design was good, but it doesn't out weigh everything else wrong with it.

I asked about this some posts back but I honestly see a new writer being brought into the fray and (re?)doing Halo 6's plot altogether.

I'm not saying this is likely, but it wouldn't be the first time an abrupt turn happened. Take a look at the new Star Wars, for example, cutting out the excess to build a better here and now.

Those speculation threads in the Halo Universe forum were cringe worthy, it was like they were desperately glazing over the fact the Didact was atomized.

I like Reach's campaign.

That's entirely fine; I disliked it. Although, the idea was fine. I just wish we'd have gotten something to do with the Spartan-II's. Take Halo 5's idea of Blue Team, put that in Reach, and change the plot appropriately. That'd have been my ideal thing. 

Is it too early to transfer my false hopes over to Halo 6 yet, or do I still need to wait a few more weeks?

Reach had an all around good single player, character development was lacking for some characters, but it was well paced, emotional, had a good narrative, and the characters that were developed were like-able. Maps were open, enemies were challenging, the levels were atmospheric, the music was fantastic. One of the better halo campaigns IMO.

• Upvote (+1) 6

CE was my first.

Ok fair enough.

Uh, what? ...Have you ever experienced a story that wasn't Halo? Because the trilogy's stories are many things, but they're not really "good", and if even they are, it's CERTAINLY not because of any thing you just mentioned. Each of the trilogy's plots basically boils down to the Covenant finding another Forerunner artifact that's going to wipe out all life in the galaxy, and its up to the Chief to stop them. Flood are also there. Then, the Forerunner artifact blows up (or gets infested by Flood in the case of Halo 2, and eventually ends up glassed). The characters are hardly anything more than cardboard cut outs. Chief is your basic catch-phrase uttering action hero, Cortana's the tech support side kick, Johnson's the black guy who provides the comic relief, and Miranda Keyes is the person who tells you what to do. They are nothing outside of these roles.

That being said, I can at least commend Halo CE for its plot, when comparing it to the other two. The story was simply about a lone Spartan fighting off aliens and space zombies alike in his quest to stop a galaxy-killing super weapon. It wasn't anything more than that, but more importantly, it didn't try to be anything more than that.

Their storylines aren't deep. However, they are tightly-paced, tonally consistent, well arced, and contain likeable and relatable characters. Those are all characteristics of a story that is 'good'. In the end though, each individual judges for themselves whether such qualities amount to a piece of media that's good. IMO the OG trilogy's story was good, even though it's not very intelligent or layered.

I agree that CE's plot is more commendable than 2 or 3's, though, but not because the latter two tried and failed to be something greater, but because they didn't really try at all. That, and they also had more plotholes and unnecessary complexity in their narratives.

Those speculation threads in the Halo Universe forum were cringe worthy, it was like they were desperately glazing over the fact the Didact was atomized.

Except the universe section itself on the Didact says it remains to be seen if his threat to Humanity is at an end.

I've only heard it in a negative connotation, over and over before. Where I come from, it is. There's no high horse present, for what I take as an insult, and you don't.

Whether it is an insult or not depends on the context and the person using the word and the thing the person is trying to exress with it. It can be both an insult or not IMO.

If the person using it says it wasn't meant as an insult, (honesty assumed) it isn't.

Generally chosing to be offended by something is not so great of an idea on the internet as there is no way of knowing what the intention behind using a word was.

Also: Ice confirmed CE-kid. :D

Generally chosing to be offended by something is not so great of an idea on the internet as there is no way of knowing what the intention behind using a word was.

Also: Ice confirmed CE-kid. :D

To be fair, I wasn't "offended", it just felt like campaign lovers were seen in a lesser light, or were looked "down upon" in a sense. I disliked the idea of that, and to be honest, seeing someone say it in that context, wouldn't shock me.

Also, yes. CE kid. Probably some of the farthest memories in my life are of that game. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

That's entirely fine; I disliked it. Although, the idea was fine. I just wish we'd have gotten something to do with the Spartan-II's. Take Halo 5's idea of Blue Team, put that in Reach, and change the plot appropriately. That'd have been my ideal thing. 

Never really liked the IIs, except for Jorge and Kurt. Besides, as much as people love to bitch about Reach, at least you can very easily ignore it, considering that its role as a prequel story to Halo CE had already been filled by TFoR. Having a game with Blue Team on Reach would require you to basically pull a disney, and retcon the entire EU, since Blue Team has actually never been JUST Chief, Fred, Linda, and Kelly in the books. I believe there was a training chapter in one of the books where its just the four of them, but I don't believe it has been the classic four in the field until Escalation.

They're all together in First Strike, but they also have Grace, Li, and Anton with them. Not to mention, when the climatic battle arrives, Kelly is spirited away by Halsey before it begins, leaving just Chief, Fred, Linda, and Grace

EDIT: Apparently Will was there too.

Never really liked the IIs, except for Jorge and Kurt. Besides, as much as people love to bitch about Reach, at least you can very easily ignore it, considering that its role as a prequel story to Halo CE had already been filled by TFoR. Having a game with Blue Team on Reach would require you to basically pull a disney, and retcon the entire EU, since Blue Team has actually never been JUST Chief, Fred, Linda, and Kelly in the books. I believe there was a training chapter in one of the books where its just the four of them, but I don't believe it has been the classic four in the field until Escalation.

They're all together in First Strike, but they also have Grace, Li, and Anton with them. Not to mention, when the climatic battle arrives, Kelly is spirited away by Halsey before it begins, leaving just Chief, Fred, Linda, and Grace

I know the group composition was different, but what I referred to, was mainly a book-based story with the II's. I mean, I also know I CAN ignore it, since it essentially does nothing for the original trilogy and new trilogy, and is only referenced once in CE, but it still bothered me upon launch.

Don't go negging him when he is preaching the truth. You all should be negging @@Sal1ent et al, but instead you praise them with plus rep each time they show up and post. Just doesn't make any sense to me.

i only negged cause of "I can't believe I gave 343 hope after MCC", like after H4 & MCC what the fuck do you expect?

• Upvote (+1) 2

I know the group composition was different, but what I referred to, was mainly a book-based story with the II's. I mean, I also know I CAN ignore it, since it essentially does nothing for the original trilogy and new trilogy, and is only referenced once in CE, but it still bothered me upon launch.

Speaking of Blue Team there was one who had a rejected role from Halo 5. 

To the far right. Maybe it was just a rejected model for Linda?

H5-ConceptArt-BlueTeam1.jpg

Speaking of Blue Team there was one who had a rejected role from Halo 5. 

To the far right. Maybe it was just a rejected model for Linda?

H5-ConceptArt-BlueTeam1.jpg

Probs Linda. I know Thorne was rejected from Osiris in favor of Buck though.

The problem with that though is that there's only like, Jericho VII (which was just them blowing up grunts and a couple of banshees), Sigma Octanus, and The Fall of Reach, which only lasted a few hours. And Chief never even set foot on Reach during the actual battle. You really CAN'T get much mileage out of a straight adaption of TFoR. MAYBE you could if you combined TFOR and First Strike, but then there's the obvious problem of there being a month long gap or so between the first couple of missions, and the rest of the game.

The problem with that though is that there's only like, Jericho VII (which was just them blowing up grunts and a couple of banshees), Sigma Octanus, and The Fall of Reach, which only lasted a few hours. And Chief never even set foot on Reach during the actual battle. You really CAN'T get much mileage out of a straight adaption of TFoR. MAYBE you could if you combined TFOR and First Strike, but then there's the obvious problem of there being a month long gap or so between the first couple of missions, and the rest of the game.

One could probably end up bridging it with a slightly elongated cutscene. Something like the Gravemind one, which was around 6-8 minutes.