CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Halo: CE would like to have a talk with you. 

Not too familiar with CE as I never really played it, unless you want to count Reach's anniversary classic. At least in CE the fast kill times are from the utility weapon, which has a skill gap to use, so I can see why people like it so much.

Not too familiar with CE as I never really played it, unless you want to count Reach's anniversary classic. At least in CE the fast kill times are from the utility weapon, which has a skill gap to use, so I can see why people like it so much.

CE has insanely fast killtimes, generally around all of its weapons. It's a pretty damn good balance, very fast gameplay, yet it retains a HIGH degree of needed strategy and skill. Basically what I meant.

Creative Assembly is making Halo Wars 2 for 2016 pray.png?v=0

Creative Assembly must be so god damn busy.

Total War: Warhammer

Total War: Charlemagne

Total War: Arena

Unannounced Total War PC title

Halo Wars 2

None of those games are weak, they are all AAA titles, they still have Total War: Kingdoms which is a mobile game. My god they are busy.

I'm on the other end of the spectrum being triggered haha so it's all good. (Mainly from the M+KB > Controller crowd, which on a unrelated note I agree with) I'm going to put the rest in spoiler tags just so my pointless misc game BS doesn't clutter this thread. I'll read w/e you have to say if you would like to continue. It's really just more insight I guess from my perspective. Sorry for any further triggering lol

Thanks for the response and discussion. Overall I'd disagree with just the one port but I might not know enough to refute that. I just really believe the mechanics are closer to Quake if you can replicate them on a shitty input method. I know the console ports are laughable to PC, but I find Halo's movement to be just about as basic as it can get, which I feel undermines the fact that you do have some options or variables in quake in terms of movement. Even things like rocket jumping, plasma climbing, rocket boosts for speed, etc exist and I guess I lumped all this together in terms of movement. I could be looking way to much into this whole thing and you could have just been referencing movement speed and jumping.

The reason I dug so much was for a few reasons. One, I'm the only player I know of on the XBLA port who plays that more than the PC part. Everyone else primarily plays on PC. There really aren't many of us that I would consider impressive, but there's about 10 of us who are skilled players on console that are able to circle and strafe jump just fine. They pretty much acknowledge all of the other releases as being bad ports, but really only give this one praise. I guess it's because they screwed less up, but I always felt frame rate hurt these shooters just as much as poor mechanics did. Q4 and UT3 looked awful and felt awful.

I probably don't have much more to contribute even though I wasn't really contributing to begin with. I guess the main reason I spoke up was regarding the movement, and the fact that I can strafe jump and circle jump in that game while increasing speed where that can't be done in Halo. As far as I know, they did fuck up those abilities in just about every other console port of an arena shooter. I believe Quake 4 had a very similar crouch slide strafe thing that could somewhat be manipulated but it just flat out sucked.

Some last things to clarify incase I misread or caused confusion. When asking how much Quake I have played, if you are referring to the first one, than I shamefully admit I haven't played the very original. I have played Quake 2 a small bit compared to Clan Arena (which is from Quake 3 right?) which is a small bit compared to the time I put into the XBLA port. 

I agree on how how the PC and console versions are different, but I think we just have different perspectives. I can't play Quake Arena Arcade because it doesn't feel right for me. Doesn't really mean it's a bad game when you don't compare it to other Quake titles, but ever since Q4, I've been one salty Quake fan, so that might have something to do with my dislike of Arena Arcade. And the first Quake is a single-player focused game and it's 100% worth playing through. Like all id games, it's aged really well. Again, if you want a link to a download since there's no way to get a digital version legally, just shoot me a PM.

Went and watched the trailer. 343 is associated with the project. I know in some way they are going to fuck it up and it won't be Creative Assembly's fault.

You're giving Creative Assembly too much credit. They made know how to make a great strategy game, but they can't launch a working game if their lives depended on it. The last three Total War games have been launch disasters.

You're giving Creative Assembly too much credit. They made know how to make a great strategy game, but they can't launch a working game if their lives depended on it. The last three Total War games have been launch disasters.

It's all on the Warscape engine as well, like come on fix your shit. It's not like they're adding significant amounts of technology, it's the same engine and same bugs. Total Warhammer/Charlemagne need to be absolutely flawless (bug wise) to bring their brand back up to it's previous standard.

It's all on the Warscape engine as well, like come on fix your shit. It's not like they're adding significant amounts of technology, it's the same engine and same bugs. Total Warhammer/Charlemagne need to be absolutely flawless (bug wise) to bring their brand back up to it's previous standard.

Even if Charlemagne is good, it won't matter to their reputation. CA loves to act like their expansions are brand new games, but everyone knows otherwise. The only people that really care about Atilla and Charlemagne are the people that are still playing Rome II. They hardly attract new fans. As for Warhammer, then yeah, if they mess that up, the studio will be in a lot of trouble. I'm not going to buy Warhammer since the setting doesn't interest me, but I hope it's a good launch for future TW game's sake. And too many people are overlooking that TW: Warhammer is the first game with aerial units. Total War: WWI hype?

And please god, don't run Halo Wars 2 on Warscape...

you have an entire world of greatness out there that you are missing....wow.

• Upvote (+1) 2

So there's a possibility that the Hammer, Sticky Detonator, and Concussion Rifle are coming back?

TJNVb56.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 1

I understand "choke", and it's actual uses in reality, but "clutch" just makes my mind frustrated. Really makes no sense to me. "A great play" is a good description, but clutch just sounds... "Bleh".

I would use the term clutch to describe a play that essentially helps win the game, like the capping of a flag under very difficult conditions. Think of the word clutch in the phrase, "He clutched victory in his grasp for his team by capping the flag at the last minute."

Or, "He clutched victory from the jaws of defeat." I mean it sort of implies that it was a game changer play.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Even if Charlemagne is good, it won't matter to their reputation. CA loves to act like their expansions are brand new games, but everyone knows otherwise. The only people that really care about Atilla and Charlemagne are the people that are still playing Rome II. They hardly attract new fans. As for Warhammer, then yeah, if they mess that up, the studio will be in a lot of trouble. I'm not going to buy Warhammer since the setting doesn't interest me, but I hope it's a good launch for future TW game's sake. And too many people are overlooking that TW: Warhammer is the first game with aerial units. Total War: WWI hype?

And please god, don't run Halo Wars 2 on Warscape...

It'll be Warscape. No way it won't be. I unfortunately didn't have the means to play and of the Total War games until Shogun II, which I think is incredible. I have put over a thousand hours into Rome II/Attila because I love the era so passionately but the engine really shows it's faults. Warhammer needs to be good like you said. I grew up surrounded by my Dad and brothers collections of it so I'm pretty keen to play that.

It'll be Warscape. No way it won't be. I unfortunately didn't have the means to play and of the Total War games until Shogun II, which I think is incredible. I have put over a thousand hours into Rome II/Attila because I love the era so passionately but the engine really shows it's faults. Warhammer needs to be good like you said. I grew up surrounded by my Dad and brothers collections of it so I'm pretty keen to play that.

Oh man. Medieval II is the GOAT TW game. Empire is really fun as well. You have to play Medieval II though. And that's cool that Warhammer connects to you like that. The game does look like great fan service for Warhammer fans.

And with Creative Assembly making recent hires of former Relic employees, the rumor is that Halo Wars 2 will be a Company of Heroes like game.

I can't believe I gave 343 hope after MCC. I knew they couldn't bring back "halo". I can't believe they really gave us a unfinished game with no game modes and forged maps. Fucking lazy

Don't go negging him when he is preaching the truth. You all should be negging @@Sal1ent et al, but instead you praise them with plus rep each time they show up and post. Just doesn't make any sense to me.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Creative Assembly is making Halo Wars 2 for 2016 pray.png?v=0

At this point I would love for 343 to simply work on the campaign and let another studio work on MP/Forge.

I mean, 343 create Halo titles that are the campaign and separately sold as a single product, while another studio comes out with MP/Forge games entirely unrelated other than Halo on the box.

(Does my lack of interest in campaign show here?)

I would use the term clutch to describe a play that essentially helps win the game, like the capping of a flag under very difficult conditions. Think of the word clutch in the phrase, "He clutched victory in his grasp for his team by capping the flag at the last minute."

Or, "He clutched victory from the jaws of defeat." I mean it sort of implies that it was a game changer play.

Clutch to me, still doesn't sound proper there. Of course, this isn't English class, or anything, but I'd just use "good play" he "played well". Even "key play". Like "the key to victory".

Oh man. Medieval II is the GOAT TW game. Empire is really fun as well. You have to play Medieval II though. And that's cool that Warhammer connects to you like that. The game does look like great fan service for Warhammer fans.

And with Creative Assembly making recent hires of former Relic employees, the rumor is that Halo Wars 2 will be a Company of Heroes like game.

I recently picked up Medieval 2 in the steam sale so I am down for that.

• Upvote (+1) 1

At this point I would love for 343 to simply work on the campaign and let another studio work on MP/Forge.

You mean like Halo 4? Certain Affinity did the MP and Forge there IIRC.

I mean, 343 create Halo titles that are the campaign and separately sold as a single product, while another studio comes out with MP/Forge games entirely unrelated other than Halo on the box.

(Does my lack of interest in campaign show here?)

.....only the halo 4 and 5 campaign are complete and utter trash that even the campaign kids hate.

I think it's best 343 does...absolutely nothing related to Halo. Ever.

Except for the perfect kill medal. That's probably their only contribution to the franchise.

Except for the perfect kill medal. That's probably their only contribution to the franchise.

Oh they have plenty of contributions. Powerful autos, dmr and br in the same game, sprint and other abilities, loadouts, high bullet mag...

Ooohhh you meant good contribution.

• Upvote (+1) 1