CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

The hell does "clutch" mean?

A clutch play is a play that is really good, more specifically saves or changes the pace of the game. For example if the enemy team was about to cap a flag, you snipe the carrier and two other players, the game swings your way with a counter cap. It's the opposite of a choke.

The overall art in the game is fantastic IMO but I do agree that some of the spartans look a bit weird with certain armor and helmet configurations, the classic helmet seems especially small on the body which is weird. 

A clutch play is a play that is really good, more specifically saves or changes the pace of the game. For example if the enemy team was about to cap a flag, you snipe the carrier and two other players, the game swings your way with a counter cap. It's the opposite of a choke.

I understand "choke", and it's actual uses in reality, but "clutch" just makes my mind frustrated. Really makes no sense to me. "A great play" is a good description, but clutch just sounds... "Bleh".

Been messing with the Halo 5 API to do some analysis on the games I've played...

Mildly Interesting

Here's a graph of the # of people who quit/disconnected from my arena games.  Red means they quit and their team lost.  Green means they quit and their team won.

Kh8d214.png

I understand "choke", and it's actual uses in reality, but "clutch" just makes my mind frustrated. Really makes no sense to me. "A great play" is a good description, but clutch just sounds... "Bleh".

"A great play" can work, but add this one condition.....in a *moment of truth*. A great play can happen in most gameplay situations. But a clutch play happens during a moment of truth.

"A great play", but add this one condition.....in a *moment of truth*. A great play can happen in most gameplay situations. But a clutch play happens during a moment of truth.

I didn't mean the description, I meant the word itself frustrates me. The description I gave was vague for the case of a swift response.

The hell does "clutch" mean?

I'm a bit surprised you hadn't heard the phrase in that context before. It goes all the way back to Puckett in H1 if I remember correctly.

That's why it needs to be placed in vulnerable areas of the map and fought over like a mini power weapon. Right now it's placed coveniently near spawn points, which makes it unfair.

It should just be nerfed. The SAW already occupies the spot in the sandbox you are speaking of.

I'm a bit surprised you hadn't heard the phrase in that context before. It goes all the way back to Puckett in H1 if I remember correctly.

I was around playing H1, but I wasn't into H1 tourneys with Puckett, which the word apparently came from. Kinda sucks.

Big weapon sandboxes are fun guys, come on.

Getting beat by someone because they have a better pick up weapon than you has been a staple since the MLG days.

It partially frustrates me on how stupidly easy it is to kill someone who's in the gunner seat of a Warthog. May as well be sitting in front of a firing squad. Seriously.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It partially frustrates me on how stupidly easy it is to kill someone who's in the gunner seat of a Warthog. May as well be sitting in front of a firing squad. Seriously.

This has bothered me enormously as well. I'm not one to promote Warthogs dominating all the time but the standard warthog is utterly useless now. The BR will kill a gunner before the gunner can kill them, it's ridiculous. Give them a bit more cover or reduce the magnetism, give the gunner a chance.

This has bothered me enormously as well. I'm not one to promote Warthogs dominating all the time but the standard warthog is utterly useless now. The BR will kill a gunner before the gunner can kill them, it's ridiculous. Give them a bit more cover or reduce the magnetism, give the gunner a chance.

I got into a Warthog, and was gunned down immediately by one or two BR users from the East Armory. It's just insane, and really drops the incentive to even get in, because you'll probably die anyway. 

Assuming there is no passenger, try switching seats when you get low on health.  That tactic has saved me countless times :D

Assuming there is no passenger, try switching seats when you get low on health.  That tactic has saved me countless times :D

There was a passenger in my Hog at the time. *Cough*  @. *Cough* Had he gotten out, maybe I'd still be alive. [hmph] Obviously he's soooooo selfish.

I can't believe I gave 343 hope after MCC. I knew they couldn't bring back "halo". I can't believe they really gave us a unfinished game with no game modes and forged maps. Fucking lazy

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 8

I was around playing H1, but I wasn't into H1 tourneys with Puckett, which the word apparently came from. Kinda sucks.

it didn't originate in halo 1, it's a sports term that has been around for a very long time, it's older than the use of choke.

I don't dislike the armour, I would say it's very hit and miss though. It has a few helmets that I'd say are up there with the best in the series. Then again it also has some of the worst and the majority are just a bit meh.

Also the music in 5 is excellent. Personal favourite is Crypt I think https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fiHu6c21K4

I think Halo 5's soundtrack is really well done, but it doesn't really capture the spirit of what made the originals so great. I think it's trying too hard to sound like a movie rather than a video game. IMO Tom Salta is the person who really understands Halo's sound next to Marty and I'm hoping to god Kazuma and Salta collab for H6. Just imagine...

it didn't originate in halo 1, it's a sports term that has been around for a very long time, it's older than the use of choke.

Aaaaaaand I don't pay attention to sports, so that doesn't shock me that I wouldn't know. XP

There was a passenger in my Hog at the time. *Cough* @. *Cough* Had he gotten out, maybe I'd still be alive. [hmph] Obviously he's soooooo selfish.

Maybe you should try getting good at the warthog turret