CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Again, the whole "this isn't real halo" talk is subjective and biased, instead of using logic like that we should try to make the most out of whatever game we get, because really guys a great game that didn't look anything like halo is better than a piece of shit game that is halo.

I just wanted to point out that immersion does not mean realism.

Use COD:AW for example. Nothing about that is real but you feel like you have full control of your character and thus are immersed in the experience.

Just thought I'd chime in on that when someone said "Spartans should sweat" in the immersion vs realism argument.

This is an agurement used by cod players against Halo for a long time. "Cod is more realistic". Considering 80% of the kills on cod come from shooting people in the leg and them dying instantly, I never knew how they used that argument.

@@Batchford you are newer so I'll be more forgiving, however please try to think more before you post, it's best to think with logic and reasoning than emotions.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Most obviously, the difference between us and those games is that they're already competitive out of the box. I want a good competitive game before caring about what casuals think. There is evidence to suggest no sprint competitive settings do just fine, while different from vanilla, in C'bus 12. There is no evidence to suggest having no sprint settings from vanilla is extremely detrimental to the scene, like you claim.

We will be just fine having no sprint in HCS settings with 343's developer support. We will continue to grow still. I would rather have a slightly smaller scene and have the game actually be fun than have the scene be slightly larger--something that's not even guaranteed.

I don't think i made such a claim. I've been saying 343i, 343i (NOT ME) probably believes that sprint can only help sales and draw in the casuals. You've guys need to understand that just because i'm willing to accept changes doesn't mean i'm pro changes. Nor does it mean i'm pro sprint. Because regardless of my how i feel those changes are going to stay. It's the reality that everyone has to accept. If you are to say anything more to disagree you're just arguing with real life. I didn't make the rules, 343i did.

There isn't any difference anymore. 343i is designing this game with "eSports" in mind. Whether you find it ultimately competitive or not they are saying publicly that those are one of their goals.  Whether it's true or not i'm going based on what is being said publicly. Just for conversation sake. 

Those other games actually have the perspective of the spectator in mind. They also have casuals/beginners in mind. They made the game around multiple things and that includes finding away to have casuals/beginners to play it too. 

We are not "catering" to the casual crowd like they're the only ones that matter, but we should be considering them since they could would help populate streams which would help us out tremendously.  

When i consider the casuals, i'm also considering the future. 

Hoping the competitive community can keep competitive Halo a live is somewhat of a gamble. We need more support from other communities. Using default settings will have familiarity through out all communities because everyone will be playing those same settings in MM. 

It could survive, but i think it's a safer bet trying to include more Halo fans. I mean that is of course if H5 turns out to be playable and a viable, competitive shooter.

Use COD:AW for example. Nothing about that is real but you feel like you have full control of your character and thus are immersed in the experience.

Just thought I'd chime in on that when someone said "Spartans should sweat" in the immersion vs realism argument.

Just some FYI I was being pretty facetious, just kinda poking fun at the way Josh worded it. Saying stuff like "it feels natural to be able to sprint when survival is imperative" 

I know it's hard to tell through text that I was being that way but I didn't really mean that Spartans should actually sweat 

Ugh, Halo 5 looks great, kids will never be into Halo. You could give them a carbon copy of Halo 2 with spectator mode and the best graphics and they'll still all be watching PewDiePie on YouTube, they're barely even playing CoD anymore now...

I can take a nerfed sprint in Halo 5, I mean the game has ranks, spectator mode, e-sports support, arena gameplay etc. It sure as shit looks a lot better than Halo 4.

About to go play Halo 2 Anniversary. Which is definitely a failed Halo because it has grenade indicators and hit markers lol. Definitely. 

Quinn, Halo 5 looks great. 

QTF & STFU & GTFO

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

343 has had plenty of time to listen to us and use our feedback to make Halo better. The nature of Halo 5 makes me feel that our feedback is not important enough, and as such I will not be supporting the game.

I think they've heard and listened to a certain extent. I'm not surprised they continued to take Halo a different direction. Especially considering it's next gen. Fresh feel on a new Xbox makes a lot of sense. But according to 343i this time around they are thinking of "eSports" with these changes in mind. It may not be like the Halo's we played in the past, but that doesn't mean it can't be competitive. I'm not saying saying that the game WILL be competitive. 

Am I the only one who actually likes the evolution from Halo 2 to Halo 3 OR Halo 2 to Halo 2: Anniversary? I would love changes like that, personal opinion.

Isn't what Call of Duty, Counter Strike and Battlefield have done successfully? 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Are you really this dumb? The solution is DO NOT INCLUDE SPRINT. Any other way and it changes the fundamentals. Therefore it is NOT true halo

How much does halo need to change to not be true halo?

Is halo 2 not true halo because it has some difference to halo ce?

Who is to define true halo?

I agree with @ in that fundamental core mechanics that make halo unique is shields and that one element leads to truly engaging fire fights. He mentioned something else but for me the shields is the biggest differentiator. Take that out and it isn't halo, because halo is futuristic armor clad Spartans.

I think you are also confusing halo with arena. Halo was a true arena. Halo is becoming a bastardized arena.

I don't think i made such a claim. I've been saying 343i, 343i (NOT ME) probably believes that sprint can only help sales and draw in the casuals. You've guys need to understand that just because i'm willing to accept changes doesn't mean i'm pro changes. Nor does it mean i'm pro sprint. Because regardless of my how i feel those changes are going to stay. It's the reality that everyone has to accept. If you are to say anything more to disagree you're just arguing with real life. I didn't make the rules, 343i did.

There isn't any difference anymore. 343i is designing this game with "eSports" in mind. Whether you find it ultimately competitive or not they are saying publicly that those are one of their goals.  Whether it's true or not i'm going based on what is being said publicly. Just for conversation sake. 

Those other games actually have the perspective of the spectator in mind. They also have casuals/beginners in mind. They made the game around multiple things and that includes finding away to have casuals/beginners to play it too. 

We are not "catering" to the casual crowd like they're the only ones that matter, but we should be considering them since they could would help populate streams which would help us out tremendously.  

When i consider the casuals, i'm also considering the future. 

Hoping the competitive community can keep competitive Halo a live is somewhat of a gamble. We need more support from other communities. Using default settings will have familiarity through out all communities because everyone will be playing those same settings in MM. 

It could survive, but i think it's a safer bet trying to include more Halo fans. I mean that is of course if H5 turns out to be playable and a viable, competitive shooter.

We were discussing, hypothetically, if 343 implemented no sprint into the HCS. Your first paragraph doesn't relate at all for we're already assuming no sprint has the option to be implemented--I definitely agree 343 thinks sprint will only help sales and etc, but it's irrelevant . You said the competitive community isn't big enough to support it. It being HCS settings with no sprint--I think that is definitely false. Not having sprint doesn't automatically mean only the competitive community will support the scene.. that waypoint poll had 70% in favor of no sprint. We had a successful event in C'bus 12 with more support than ever, and not just the competitive community. We definitely don't need sprint in the game to have a future.. there is no evidence to support this. Obviously having things close to out of the box is ideal, but when out of the box sucks, you make adjustments if you can on a situational basis. Claiming no sprint settings would be a gamble to keep competitive Halo alive WITH DEVELOPER SUPPORT is just ridiculous. 

@@thestrangestick -what happened here is what happens when you go into the white house. You feel so special you don't dare say anything that would cause political stir. Having 343 show up and converse is like meeting the president.

There is just that fantasy affect that makes people say and do things strange.

I have had enough conversations with 343 employees now I don't look forward to them any longer.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Being able to shoot/throw grenades/melee while moving at you'r base movement speed. Power ups, weapons on map. But sure if you didn't know that then you shouldn't really be on these forums. r/halo would be more suited for yourself

What if the base movement is changed to full all out sprint and even faster? Or what if it is a slow crawl?

Your posts are coming across seriously childish.

And you missed the most unique feature by far- lengthy engagements via shields.

• Upvote (+1) 1

When the beta comes out the Beyond community will be at war with the waypointers.

I expect the servers here to be like MCC at launch.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Spartan deodorant DLC?

The potential Sponsor opportunities are endless, Axe, Old Spice, etc. Could really get some big companies into e-sports......

:)

• Upvote (+1) 4

I expect the servers here to be like MCC at launch.

I have a "one final effort" plan for the competitive community. The plan is to make a thread on the beyond forum that will link to "Anit-Sprint" threads on Waypoint. If all the community members on here go to waypoint and like/post on the threads on waypoint so those threads keep getting pushed up to the top,  we may have a chance. 343i is probably going to be looking at their waypoint forum more than us so if they see a whole bunch of "Anti-Sprint" threads in their forum they may get a clue.

Spartan deodorant DLC?

The potential Sponsor opportunities are endless, Axe, Old Spice, etc. Could really get some big companies into e-sports......

:)

Waiting to for a Snoop Dogg Medal that gives my Spartan weed to get high.  :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 1

But what about the fact that sprint forces you to upscale your maps which messes with the integrity of other combat features and interactions? That is a very serious and real issue, albeit not an obvious one to the casual gamer. It is the real reason I beleive that sprint ruins Halo gameplay because everything else feels off when map areas are over-spaced. One way you can describe it is that it makes gameplay feel flat, and less "three dimentional".

Was this brought up in any of the development discussions?

He told us that game play was more important. Guess they have the game play they want.

And I liberally say they want.