CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I guess you would know.

Also thankfully my phone has a weird glitch today where it's listing my network as AT&T so I don't get flamed like @@CyReN did for having an embarrassing carrier.

Your carrier's name is Halo 4? :kappa:

I suppose you're right. This is a problem with the no deranking.

If someone keeps winning against diamond players they feel like they should get onyx. But then if they get it and always lose... They can stay onyx? Messed up.

Especially because pure ELO takes over at onyx. Well in an ELO system the points gained by the winner come directly from the loser. So shouldn't those players drop below 1500 and be removed from onyx? Well they aren't. Plus any diamond players are contributing points to the winners from outside the system, leading to inflation of points in the onyx tier.

I have a feeling they're ranking up the top 4 players in FFA, which only makes it worse. Can anyone confirm this?

It's smart. They are literally tricking people into believing they are improving and ranking up.

I suppose you're right. This is a problem with the no deranking.

If someone keeps winning against diamond players they feel like they should get onyx. But then if they get it and always lose... They can stay onyx? Messed up.

Especially because pure ELO takes over at onyx. Well in an ELO system the points gained by the winner come directly from the loser. So shouldn't those players drop below 1500 and be removed from onyx? Well they aren't. Plus any diamond players are contributing points to the winners from outside the system, leading to inflation of points in the onyx tier.

I have a feeling they're ranking up the top 4 players in FFA, which only makes it worse. Can anyone confirm this?

Everyone is quoting this so sorry for late response

But you are completely misinterpreting how matchmaking works in tandem with the ranking system. It isn't straight Diamond matches Diamond and Onyx matches Onyx.

Not only is the system trying to form balanced teams for 4 players (a lot of mix-match calculations going on), but the rank isn't indicative of what the system believes your skill is. 

The briefest example I can give is if someone goes from Diamond 1 to Diamond 5 without losing any games, their MMR is probably going to be pretty high and begin matching them with higher Diamond (high background skill) or even Onyx-level skilled players. If they are losing a ton in Diamond 6 its probably against those players and they won't make the Onyx rank. If they do make the Onyx rank they will probably just float around the 1500-1599 range since they can't consistently win against 1600 and up players.

TL;DR: They are already being judged on an Onyx-level MMR before they are promoted to Onyx. While this isn't always perfectly consistent (especially with FFA's broken CSR), it does a decent job of it.

Some solution to help improve the system would be to allow de-ranking after MANY losses (not if you lose immediately at 1500), OR creating Promotion Matches with HEAVY  Skill matchmaking.

@ had a solid 8-shot, but it was nothing compared to my grenade tactics and strafe spam. :kappa: I won the tourney, and reclaimed my crown from yesterday's embarrassment. :kappa:

Everyone is quoting this so sorry for late response

But you are completely misinterpreting how matchmaking works in tandem with the ranking system. It isn't straight Diamond matches Diamond and Onyx matches Onyx.

Not only is the system trying to form balanced teams for 4 players (a lot of mix-match calculations going on), but the rank isn't indicative of what the system believes your skill is.

The briefest example I can give is if someone goes from Diamond 1 to Diamond 5 without losing any games, their MMR is probably going to be pretty high and begin matching them with higher Diamond (high background skill) or even Onyx-level skilled players. If they are losing a ton in Diamond 6 its probably against those players and they won't make the Onyx rank. If they do make the Onyx rank they will probably just float around the 1500-1599 range since they can't consistently win against 1600 and up players.

TL;DR: They are already being judged on an Onyx-level MMR before they are promoted to Onyx. While this isn't always perfectly consistent (especially with FFA's broken CSR), it does a decent job of it.

Some solution to help improve the system would be to allow de-ranking after MANY losses (not if you lose immediately at 1500), OR creating Promotion Matches with HEAVY Skill matchmaking.

Your post has nothing to do with what I'm talking about.

All I'm talking about is inflation in an ELO system.

I'm not even sure what you're addressing but hey I'll talk about one of your points anyway.

MMR being separate from rank is dumb as hell. All that does is confuse players and make matches look lopsided.

Your post has nothing to do with what I'm talking about.

All I'm talking about is inflation in an ELO system.

I'm not even sure what you're addressing but hey I'll talk about one of your points anyway.

MMR being separate from rank is dumb as hell. All that does is confuse players and make matches look lopsided.

Your post was referring to de-ranking making it so people are unfairly remaining in wrong divisions, but what I'm saying is that background skill matching makes it so it doesn't happen.

Background skill isn't dumb as hell, it has a lot of benefits like preventing boosting and allowing some flexibility behind the ranks themselves. If someone over or under performs in placement matches background skill helps fix that.

Don't want to dwell on it for too long because I do see what you are saying, and there are improvements that could be made.

Your post was referring to de-ranking making it so people are unfairly remaining in wrong divisions, but what I'm saying is that background skill matching makes it so it doesn't happen.

Background skill isn't dumb as hell, it has a lot of benefits like preventing boosting and allowing some flexibility behind the ranks themselves. If someone over or under performs in placement matches background skill helps fix that.

Don't want to dwell on it for too long because I do see what you are saying, and there are improvements that could be made.

Ah, I think I see the confusion here. I have no problem with people not deranking in any division except onyx.

Problem with that is if a player at 1500 CSR looses a match, he's still at 1500 CSR. But the people who beat him still get points from him toward their ELO. So that player can stay in onyx and keep giving up "free" CSR points to those that beat him.

That's why there are such high CSR numbers in onyx and champion and it leads to more grinding - which I think isn't a good way to judge skill.

So I know BTB is casual as shit buy damn the gungoose is awesome.  Got a running riot on it then got killed, jumped back on and got a frenzy.  Had like 48 kills that game a majority of which were on the gungoose.

So I know BTB is casual as shit buy damn the gungoose is awesome.  Got a running riot on it then got killed, jumped back on and got a frenzy.  Had like 48 kills that game a majority of which were on the gungoose.

They couldn't kill you when everyone spawns with a BR? Are you a bronze?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Honesrly i wasnt even trying that was just my warm up to my warm up really

Your shot's getting better. Only took you two rockets to kill me this time. :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Your shot's getting better. Only took you two rockets to kill me this time. :kappa:

Fuck off ma im playing on connection equivalent to a third world country

They couldn't kill you when everyone spawns with a BR? Are you a bronze?

plat.  It was the map with the satellite dishes.  Lots of cover to weave in and out of.  Can't do it on basin or the recurve.

Bruh you forgot rule 1

There are no girls on the internet

Bruh, sad thing is, I have more balls than you do for accepting, and  subsequently destroying your ass in this world tourney. :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1