CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

The engine refreshes basically at twice the rate from previous Halo games, being 60 fps, so shouldn't the game feel much crisper? Idk about you guys, but it does for me.

You and me both. It's one of the simplest, core principles of a console shooter. I can't think of a single game that only has a competitive matchmaking with a hardcore rigorous matchmaking system (that doesn't even work anyway)

They're trying to copy competitive pc games even though they are not using competive settings and are dealing with a totally different audience.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I don't understand why this game shipped without a social mode. I really don't. I'm still good enough to get into onyx slayer and platinum team arena because I've got so much time logged on Halo over the years but I'm not good anymore - and I don't even want to be, I just want to jump online in my free time after work and play sporadically with my real life friends for fun. My real life friends don't game a lot so they're terrible, however when they search with me we have literally matched Chig and some party he is in and at best we just play a lot of good, solid teams and get decimated. It's just baffling how it works.

It might be hard for some people to understand but I don't want to get better, I don't grind in my room with a scuf controller and one of those gaming chairs calling out trying to improve - I usually have a 2 year old trying to touch the screen and take my controller. I just want to hop into lobbies like I could on MCC and Reach. 

I don't know anyone who still plays Halo and hasn't traded it in that isn't in this Halo MLG era bubble. 

I've tried playing on new accounts and it does work for a while but why should I have to? It seems like if I play on a new account I always end up in Diamond anyway and then get put in the infinite loop of playing people who are far, far better than me and my online experience consists of quitting, being carried or being raped. 

I agree 100%. I have a full time IT job, wife and 2 month old baby.  I don't have that much time to invest in the game.  Some days I may get only a hour or two to play and want to chill.  I'm diamond in team arena.  The matchmaking experience up until now going in by myself and with below average buddy has been mediocre at best.  

Most of the people have 3-4 days played already which I didn't think was possible, but I guess people don't work, go to school or have careers.  Sure I can keep up with these players, but the people it matches me up with are either terrible or I'm playing against to4 God squad every game.  It makes me pretty angry and frustrated to say the least.  

• Upvote (+1) 4

The new lunge mechanic is gr8 

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/BarricadeSenpai/video/12830502

I was waiting for the day this happened. Melees in Halo (minus CE) have always had a ridiculous lunge, and they gave everyone a bigger lunge to use. It's almost a reason I haven't bought the game. I'm not that great, so I always end up being killed by a melee and it pisses me off, so I knew I would hate the entire "Spartan Charge" mechanic for this exact reason. At least it looked like it was Spartan Charge. If not, then I'm an idiot and don't see the difference between that and a thrust and melee out of sprint.

I was waiting for the day this happened. Melees in Halo (minus CE) have always had a ridiculous lunge, and they gave everyone a bigger lunge to use. It's almost a reason I haven't bought the game. I'm not that great, so I always end up being killed by a melee and it pisses me off, so I knew I would hate the entire "Spartan Charge" mechanic for this exact reason. At least it looked like it was Spartan Charge. If not, then I'm an idiot and don't see the difference between that and a thrust and melee out of sprint.

It's Spartan charge. Probably close to max range

It's whatever to me IMO, not hard to dodge it esp in that length

I agree 100%. I have a full time IT job, wife and 2 month old baby.  I don't have that much time to invest in the game.  Some days I may get only a hour or two to play and want to chill.  I'm diamond in team arena.  The matchmaking experience up until now going in by myself and with below average buddy has been mediocre at best.  

Most of the people have 3-4 days played already which I didn't think was possible, but I guess people don't work, go to school or have careers.  Sure I can keep up with these players, but the people it matches me up with are either terrible or I'm playing against to4 God squad every game.  It makes me pretty angry and frustrated to say the least.  

Hard to be good at any game when you're not in like middle school/high school, unemployed, or working only a few hours with no family and friends. 

The reason I was good at H2/H3 was because I was in middle school/high school and just went home after school and played halo. Now I work and care about other things. I'm decent at H5 but nowhere near what I can be if I put more time in.

Gotta say though I played BTB last night and it was fun. Played with a party of 8 and even though we lost 2 stupid games it was still fun

We literally gave up a 15 kill lead and lost 100-98 that was unreal. Also played the pussiest campers ive ever seen in a CTF game and lost 2-1 that was frustrating

So I've come to the totally unique conclusion that the Sniper is literally the best Power Weapon in the game. It was intentionally designed that way, to be this insane cannon of death that Jimmy No-Thumbs could use. The main proof of this is that it's the only PW to sit on a 3 minute timer.

So my biggest question is, why introduce skillful T3/T2 Weapons like the PC or the Hydra and then make the Sniper (long regarded as one of the most satisfying weapons to get good with) such an easy weapon? The pro team clearly tested this, and decided it was fine in regards to the sandbox, but I don't see the real reason for it.

Here's the thing, making the Sniper harder to use will STILL cause people to push for it. There's that high risk, high reward thing going for it. What risk is there now? None practically. Before you had to try and keep a close range weapon on you or a primary to facilitate if someone pushed in on you. Now? Just sweep the reticule and go for the Snipunch or get one of the stupid easy snapshots.

In all honesty, if the BM for all the rifles and the sniper get reduced (hell, even REMOVING THE RRR on the sniper unzoomed please would fix it), we'll see a vastly higher skillgap and getting sniped won't feel so damn cheap in this game. 

It goes to say that I don't even want to pick it up unless I have to because it's not a satisfying weapon to use anymore, it just feels so gimmicky and ridiculous. 

@@Sal1ent this isn't just an issue with the competitive crowd, I've had casual friends as well complaining about the ease of the sniper and how cheap it feels to get kills/get killed by it. We need a weapon balancing patch ASAP. I know this stuff takes time and you guys want to test everything thoroughly, but BLOPS III has already had a weapon balancing patch. I'm sure you guys have good data already to make an informed decision.

I love the game and I want to see it grow into a juggernaut not through marketing or features but because my friends thoroughly enjoy the experience you guys have cultivated. 

• Upvote (+1) 5

Hard to be good at any game when you're not in like middle school/high school, unemployed, or working only a few hours with no family and friends. 

The reason I was good at H2/H3 was because I was in middle school/high school and just went home after school and played halo. Now I work and care about other things. I'm decent at H5 but nowhere near what I can be if I put more time in.

Gotta say though I played BTB last night and it was fun. Played with a party of 8 and even though we lost 2 stupid games it was still fun

We literally gave up a 15 kill lead and lost 100-98 that was unreal. Also played the pussiest campers ive ever seen in a CTF game and lost 2-1 that was frustrating

Same here, I was in high school/college when H2,H3 and Reach were out. I put hefty amount of time into all of them.  Guess it's karma when I was beating up on older people in those games.

Can we also talk about the fact that the melee hitboxes seem to be freaking HUGE

I tried thrusting away from melees several times in the course of two games played and they still nailed me.

Yeah, melee's are ridiculous. Unfortunately all modern Halo games have auto-hit melees

Odd, back in h2-Reach I was either in MS or HS and a very average player. in this game I am probably playing the least out of the Halos cos of other life stuff and its my best Halo skill wise.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yeah, melee's are ridiculous. Unfortunately all modern Halo games have auto-hit melees

I wanted them to get rid of melee lunge, or at least allow us to turn it off in customs.

Finally played some BTB and the new Standoff was pretty awesome. Three times in one game I spawned 10 feet behind an enemy. The last time I felt so bad that I waited for him to notice me before we started our duel (he won). How is it possible to have a spawn system so broken? Then after three games of Deadlock I got Recurve three times.  Very strange map indeed. I hope I get the other two soon.

Overall I kind of like it. Not bad at all.

Standoff and valhalla would swap spawn side. But only once intense pressure was placed on a team. These maps swap spawn sides constantly.

Unplayable.

Standoff and Valhalla never swapped spawns. The only time that would happen is a host change IIRC, and that was a glitch.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I usually have a 2 year old trying to touch the screen and take my controller.

Wait have we not talked in so long you have a kid now??

Wait have we not talked in so long you have a kid now??

Not playing Halo freed up some time in his schedule. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

gotta get give out those new medals left and right.

And then hit you in the face with no post game medal stats.

Odd, back in h2-Reach I was either in MS or HS and a very average player. in this game I am probably playing the least out of the Halos cos of other life stuff and its my best Halo skill wise.

I hear you, dood, full-time job, wife, kid, kid on the way, and I'm still managing to hold my own. I've been much better in the past two Halos simply due to actually thinking about my positioning and outplaying my opponent in more than just gunskill. In Halo 2 until late Reach, I would literally just hold forward and shoot, no thought to timing weapons, map control, anything to that. I've simply applied my research to my raw skill, and badabing, I'm a much higher level than I've ever been (my KDR is lower just from playing better players, but even that is getting better, had a wicked awful week a bit ago).

It's amazing how just browsing THC and Beyond for the past three years have improved me as a player.

Guess you could say he went to Infinity and BEYOND. :kappa:

You can toy around with Frozen as much as you want, but leave Buzz Lightyear and Toy Story OUT OF THIS. 

You can toy around with Frozen as much as you want, but leave Buzz Lightyear and Toy Story OUT OF THIS. 

You know she won't. I'll probably be involved in this as well.