CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

So let me get this right...

We've got 8 real maps. 11 if you count the Warzone maps that aren't available in custom games...

All the rest of the maps are Forged maps, which, for some reason aren't group under their base forge maps like they should be. It's like 343 is trying to pass off these Forge maps that ANYONE could have made as official maps 343 poured their blood, sweat and tears into - when they're not even textured.

Out of these 8 maps real maps, Truth and Regret share assets and Empire and Eden share assets.

I don't mind the fact that the maps share assets. Truth and Regret play very differently and Empire and Eden play very differently.

However, if 343 is going to reuse a lot of assets between maps why the hell do we only have 8 maps available for custom games?

Shouldn't we have double the amount of maps if 343 is planning on all these remixes?

And then for BTB we get a bunch of Forged maps, again, anyone could have made these. Where's Water Works? Blood Gulch? Coagulation? Valhalla? Terminal? Sidewinder? REAL large maps that actually have some effort put into them?

Yes, we'll eventually get DLC, but every other online Halo game had DLC as well. That's not an excuse to give us a relatively crappy offering of maps on release, especially when 343 has cut out half the of class game modes.

Anyone else wondering WTF 343 has been doing all these years? I feel like I've purchased a beta.

I'm thinking something must have come out during dev. Halo 4 proved they can release forge custom games and a good amount of maps. Maybe the same reason why all that concept art with Chief in the cloak is missing.

-Storm rifle as powerful as the saw from Halo 4, except it's always on the field.

-Powerful automatics

-sniper that's taken everything fun and cool out of sniping. Sniping used to be an X Factor. Now everyone is Snip3down. Descoping a strafing sniper with a pistol mid to long range? I'd rather face a sniper in Halo 4 with no descope and a DMR. Go pick up a rifle? Easy enough right? It's a problem if you have to drop your utility weapon to have a chance in a scenario like that.

-Radar that tells people when to pull out their automatics

-Easiest escape ability of the series due to thrust and all the objects to thrust behind

-weakest mid to long range utility weapon of the series (maybe on par with the H3 BR?) Pair this with thrust, mid to long range battles almost always result in someone thrusting away. That's why I'm so hesitant to put the pistol on the same level as the H3 BR. The pistol might be a little stronger, but it's a worse weapon due to the ability to escape easier. The single biggest problem of Halo 3, the shitty BR with the inability to punish people, seems to be a problem in this game as well.

-inability to effectively punish someone who is in a bad position due to a pistol with terrible range, thrust, and tens of items to thrust behind

-its smarter to thrust away when you have a pistol and someone has a rifle, resulting in dull rock, paper, scissor gameplay

-grenade hit markers that encourage spamming the 4-6 grenades you can hold per person

-inability to chase due to radar and grenade spam. If the other person sprints away, you automatically get punished for sprinting after because you have to lower your weapon. If I'm up 3 shots but took 2 shots, I'm also punished by chasing because my shields won't recharge even though I'm using sprint offensively. Smarter to just never chase, period. Often times it's just a lame ass stalemate where no one dies.

-spawning in corners pinned down by people with easier/better weapons than the pistol you spawn with

-so many fucking weapons you can't keep track of who has what

-lack of pistol vs. pistol battles, the highlight of Halo 5

-lack of weapon vs. same weapon battles where there are no advantages/disadvantages due to people having different guns, the highlight of past Halos

-lack of a solo que

-inability to derank out of your placement rank

-3 plot bullshit strongholds, notorious for being the most uneven and unfair objective gametype across multiple different game titles. Unless the 3 points are a perfect triangle, one team will spawn with an advantage. Go watch pro teams scrim when money is on the line. They all know what color team on what map gives them the advantage right out of the gate for strongholds

-half the maps in the game are regurgitated cityscape maps. You can always tell how good a map is by how many people attempt to forge it in the next Halo game. Do you think people are going to be forging The Rig, Plaza, or any of the city maps for games to come?

-delayed jump melee with the inability to map groundpound to a button other than melee and the inability to turn it off all together. Small issue? Possibly. But it's another example of 343 putting immersion before gameplay

-controlling areas of the map like enclosed rooms on Plaza become a piece of fucking cake when you can just watch radar and crouch and use an AR defensively. It's pretty god damn easy to get the first AR shots off when you know what way your enemy is coming in and your enemy has no idea what part of the room you are in. Most of the city maps have this same exact problem. And if your enemy has a Stor Rifle? Good luck.

-getting less in ONE year of Halo 5's sustain plan than we got at launch with Halo 3. It's not a fact yet, but I believe this will be the case.

-Maps that encourage abilities. Abilities that encourage maps. Imagine playing Halo 5 on spaced out Sanctuary from Halo 2. Magically, the abilities would be tremendously nerfed right off the bat. But 343 wants maps that ENCOURAGE running away. A combination of the maps and abilities have shifted Halo to a defensive game in all gametypes except CTF.

-lack of general social features. Pair this with lack of solo que, Halo 5 is trash for solo players, AKA the majority of their players. No social playlists. No fun playlists. I'm competitive as most of you, but I don't want to play ranked everytime I want to play. Most of the time when I just want to relax, I won't even play Halo 5. I don't want to try hard every. single. game. Forget about the rank and pretend it's social? Then it's unfair for my teammates who do care. This problem leads right into bad solo play in Halo 5.

This will be my least played Halo of the series. The meta and core gameplay has shifted WAY too much for me to enjoy anymore. Somethings improved, but more problems got introduced. Almost a 1:1 ratio, it seems.

I feel like Halo 5 is a 5/10 game, but when you compare it to Reach and Halo 4, it becomes a 8/10 game to some people. For some people, that assumption may be plain wrong. I'm glad some (most?) people are enjoying it. I really wish my perspective would change, but it hasn't.

In order to not sound like a Debby Downer, which surprisingly to some people, I'm not:

+forge SEEMS to be improved

+good tournament support this time around with crowdfunding and 343 putting up money

+a skillful pistol, but it becomes a bad thing when all the other weapons seem to be the easiest they have ever been

+the abilities do add to skill jumps on most maps

+a skill gap that you can work towards. It's a different skill gap than other Halos, and that's my problem, but you can definitely work on getting better.

You forgot about the stupid gimmicks also, spartan charge and ground pounding.  The game has too much aim assist on all weapons except maybe the pistol, it decreases individual skill gaps, so it makes team shooting more important (I'm neutral about this)

I would like to see sprint, thrust and clamber removed with base movement speed moved up, but that would mean all the vanilla maps be removed and all we would be able to play is forged maps, but forging seems to be better so I'm hopeful for this. (Similar to NBNS v7 settings in Reach.)

As for the ranking system, I agree with you totally.  Far too many games going in by myself in diamond division and getting wrecked by to4 and mismatched teams. Didn't really happen much in Halo 2-3, most of the time had really good competitive games around 45-50 range in all playlists.  Doesn't really occur much in this game.

343i put too much time into the artwork and objects on the maps instead of actually seeing if they played good on a competitive level.

picture

Nice provider bro... Can you do me a favor and toggle that off?

Inb4 he makes up his mind before he even plays it :kappa:

What a ridiculous statement. How does the plasma rifle (for example) in CE seem like less of a toy than anything else in the series after? Lol

Mostly to do with the feel of it and it's place in the weapon sandbox.

1. It's useful at long range (Seriously an alien weapon that can't hit shit beyond 20 meters?)

2. Firing sound is visceral

3. Color palette in the game (doesn't look as cartoony)

All in all you feel empowered in CE using the PR. In H2 it just feels weak in comparison.

So let me get this right...

We've got 8 real maps. 11 if you count the Warzone maps that aren't available in custom games...

All the rest of the maps are Forged maps, which, for some reason aren't grouped under their base forge maps like they should be. It's like 343 is trying to pass off these Forge maps that ANYONE could have made as official maps 343 poured their blood, sweat and tears into - when they're not even textured.

Out of these 8 real maps, Truth and Regret share assets and Empire and Eden share assets.

I don't mind the fact that the maps share assets. Truth and Regret play very differently and Empire and Eden play very differently.

However, if 343 is going to reuse a lot of assets between maps why the hell do we only have 8 maps available for custom games?

Shouldn't we have double the amount of maps if 343 is planning on all these remixes?

And then for BTB we get a bunch of Forged maps, again, anyone could have made these. Where's Water Works? Blood Gulch? Coagulation? Valhalla? Terminal? Sidewinder? REAL large maps that actually have some effort put into them?

Yes, we'll eventually get DLC, but every other online Halo game had DLC as well. That's not an excuse to give us a relatively crappy offering of maps on release, especially when 343 has cut out half the of class game modes.

Anyone else wondering WTF 343 has been doing all these years? I feel like I've purchased a beta.

This is nothing new to Haloheads. I'm just wondering why you all continue to support 343i after all this dissppointment.

I just watched the Angry Joe review, so I'm relatively jaded to Halo 5 AND 343i, as a whole.

Why again is this called "The Reclaimer Saga" when Chief is apparently only in 3 missions out of 15 in Halo 5? Why again is this called Halo when it has NOTHING to do with the rings anymore?

If I do buy Halo 5, it will be for $5 or less. I will never buy req packs; I refuse to play into the micro transaction scheme that they've conjoured by spending more money than a discounted season pass (that would've granted me everything).

Shear fundamentals of Halo in the past are gone. This is the first Halo, from what I've heard and read, where you're never rewarded for any form of "completion" in this game. Legendary Campaign helmet/armor/emblem/something? nope. Nope. NOPE.

How is it not atomically disappointing to see 343i releasing FORGED MAPS for DLC? They're almost, directly, spitting right in our faces now.

• Upvote (+1) 3

What a ridiculous statement. How does the plasma rifle (for example) in CE seem like less of a toy than anything else in the series after? Lol

Also:

Step 1: Use the PP in CE

Step 2: Use the PP in H2 or H3

There you go... ;)

Since you seem to be one of the few that despises the H3 aiming as much as me, do you notice a small amount of input lag as well?

I have no idea how to prove it, but I could swear everything feels less responsive than H1.

And yeah, the aiming doesn't feel much better after the patch.

Perhaps they SLIGHTLY fixed the issue when aiming diagonally, but it could just be placebo. It still feels like shit.

Hard to say, I only played a couple of games of it last night.

If I wasn't already completely locked on to a player, there was just no honing in on him.

The aiming is absolutely like Halo 3, there's no denying it. The aiming is garbage. You get used to it but it's still not good.

You just can't sit there and tell me the aiming isn't the same slippery crap from Halo 3. It was literally the first thing I noticed about Halo 5 lol.

But no I don't feel there is input delay. Because even if I can get used to slippery aiming, I cannot just ignore input delay.

• Upvote (+1) 1

This is nothing new to Haloheads. I'm just wondering why you all continue to support 343i after all this dissppointment.

Despite it's flaws, H5 is still way more fun than most other console FPS games at the moment, and eventhough it's not a real, traditional Halo game anymore, I'm having more fun playing this modern "halo" than I had playing Reach/4

Hard to say, I only played a couple of games of it last night.

If I wasn't already completely locked on to a player, there was just no honing in on him.

Why did you even buy the game?

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's like Halo 3 in that it feels sluggish, heavy, inconsistent. But the two aiming styles aren't identical.

Example, aiming the sniper in Halo 3 felt MUCH better than it does in this game.

Despite it's flaws, H5 is still way more fun than most other console FPS games at the moment, and eventhough it's not a real, traditional Halo game anymore, I'm having more fun playing this modern "halo" than I had playing Reach/4

I had more fun playing Reach than this game. At least I had a good BTB mode and Forge/customs to play when I didn't enjoy 4v4.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Why did you even buy the game?

To specifically befuddle you.

It's like Halo 3 in that it feels sluggish, heavy, inconsistent. But the two aiming styles aren't identical.

Example, aiming the sniper in Halo 3 felt MUCH better than it does in this game.

Halo 3 snipers is literally my least favorite gametype in Halo history because I hate the aiming that much. I haven't picked up a sniper yet in H5 but I pray to god it's not like that.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Then give us ranked playlists with no party restrictions AND JIP

Someone needs to make a meme out of the sprint episode where the guy drinks a beer at work.

kleeeein.gif

Ha. Yes.

Slayer is essentially unplayable in btb on every map except headlong.

We have 3 symmetrical, sided maps that flip flop spawns every 2 seconds. No matter where you are or what you're doing kids will spawn right behind you.

Did they not playtest the maps? Did they not playtest the originals? Standoff and valhalla would swap spawn side. But only once intense pressure was placed on a team. These maps swap spawn sides constantly.

Unplayable.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Halo 3 snipers is literally my least favorite gametype in Halo history because I hate the aiming that much. I haven't picked up a sniper yet in H5 but I pray to god it's not like that.

Oh dear. You're in for a rude awakening. The Halo 5 sniper is, by far, the easiest one in the series.

It's easier, and yet somehow feels worse. Quite the accomplisment on their part.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Oh dear. You're in for a rude awakening. The Halo 5 sniper is, by far, the easiest one in the series.

I can deal with easy but fluid, which is why I didn't get so frustrated with H2A snipers. I can't deal with whatever H3 is.

• Downvote (-1) 1

The aiming is absolutely like Halo 3, there's no denying it. The aiming is garbage. You get used to it but it's still not good.

You just can't sit there and tell me the aiming isn't the same slippery crap from Halo 3. It was literally the first thing I noticed about Halo 5 lol.

But no I don't feel there is input delay. Because even if I can get used to slippery aiming, I cannot just ignore input delay.

Play Halo 1 on MCC for like 2 hours, then jump onto Halo 5.

I swear it's there. Unfortunately I don't have the sort of equipment I'd need to test it.

Just looking around feels so natural in H1 and then in H5 it just feels like there's that tiny bit of hesitation before your screen moves.

If someone had the means to test it I'd bet money that H5 has a slight input delay compared to H1.

I hated sniping in H3. I'm pretty sure it's aim acceleration in both games, however the acceleration curves are probably quite different to each other.

Its not even that it's easy. It also feels tertible. Its honestly not fun to use at all. Id argue the h2a sniper was easier, but atleast it was fun to use.

The h2a sniper makes you feel like snipedown.

The h5 sniper makes you feel like the game is broken.

• Upvote (+1) 5