CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

People say the H2 maps look better because of artstyle. Just look at tombstone for example. The graphics look so good even today. Not the polygon count, but the use of color and general athmosphere.

Really? I always thought H2 in general had a terrible art style. 

Personally I don't think H2 had a good lifeline on it's art and it went more for tech while H1 had a better art style imo

Compare H2

h2_mp_relic.jpg

to something like Jade Empire (just pulling a game off my ass because I cant think of any games that had good art around that time off the top of my head)

1713475-jadeempire213.jpg

Or tales of Symphonia which was a GC game

220495-tos107.jpg

I agree though that polygons/tech does not mean good artstyle, for example I think Street Fighter 3rd Strike (1999) has WAAAAY better art than Street Fighter 4 (2009). Games like KoF13 are a pixelated game (which is a negative to most people) with tech that isn't anything special but has quite literally, one of the best 2-d animations in the whole gaming world like this 

terry-2x.gif 

The colors in Jade Empire/Symphonia are much more vibrant in those games as well and imo the general art style is much more long lasting. Maybe Tombstone looks great (something Certain Affinity doing well imo is the art sometimes) but overall I thought h2 was very lackluster in the art scheme sense compared to other games in its time and even looking at it now. 

Personally I think Reach and H3 were Bungies best work when it came to maps

I mean this map was gdlk when it came to the glossy style they were going for in Reach 

halo-reach-reflection1.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'm personally fine with it but I can see the issues with it. I just dash left/right when I see them sprinting and the recovery period is more than enough for me to finish the kill before he has time to do anything like dashing away. 

Yeah, like I can't say that it's a good addition full-stop. But I've had fun using and dodging it.

Getting double melee'd has always sucked, and SC can suck, but it hasn't been as bad as I was expecting so far. It hasn't been getting abused as far as I can tell, though it can get a bit out of hand in FFA (like everything else in this game).

It's fun to just wreck a guy who isn't paying attention, but it really sucks when they charge through your shots and you melee doesn't kill them. It's pretty low on my "things that need changes" list, but I can see where the complaints come from. 

Once again, FUCK ARRAY. It is utter trash. I'd rather play Orion than be the attackers on that map. Getting spawn killed for 6 straight minutes is not fun at all.

Also, fix the damn armory glitch pls 343. It shouldn't be too hard to do.

• Upvote (+1) 1

i don't know if its just me but i can't see this game holding high population numbers by december-january. I can normally grind halo as well as anyone and I'm already super bored with this game. Hasn't even been out a month and if one of the biggest halo fans / supporters are bored of this game (me)  can't see how any casuals and non halo fans will stick around. Plus all my friends from school who bought halo 5 on release night don't even play it any more.  :(

• Upvote (+1) 1

Really? I always thought H2 in general had a terrible art style.

Personally I don't think H2 had a good lifeline on it's art and it went more for tech while H1 had a better art style imo

Compare H2

h2_mp_relic.jpg

to something like Jade Empire (just pulling a game off my ass because I cant think of any games that had good art around that time off the top of my head)

1713475-jadeempire213.jpg

Or tales of Symphonia which was a GC game

220495-tos107.jpg

I agree though that polygons/tech does not mean good artstyle, for example I think Street Fighter 3rd Strike (1999) has WAAAAY better art than Street Fighter 4 (2009). Games like KoF13 are a pixelated game (which is a negative to most people) with tech that isn't anything special but has quite literally, one of the best 2-d animations in the whole gaming world like this

terry-2x.gif

The colors in Jade Empire/Symphonia are much more vibrant in those games as well and imo the general art style is much more long lasting. Maybe Tombstone looks great (something Certain Affinity doing well imo is the art sometimes) but overall I thought h2 was very lackluster in the art scheme sense compared to other games in its time and even looking at it now.

I mean this map was gdlk when it came to the glossy style they were going for in Reach

I agree on pretty much everything you said. the Street Fighter pic looks glorious.

Although I think that the Relic pic looks awesome. It's such a subjective thing. lol

Although I prefer the H2 look of most maps I don't like the character models or weapons at all, except Chief. Sound design is not as good as Ce as well. It's kinda weird with Halo 2 I guess.

I think CE's art style is way better although pretty dated. The color palette in CE is great though.

Overall I like Reach the most when it comes to Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I like BTB a lot.  I played all 10 of my placement games and time seemed to fly by.  First impressions:

Deadlock is the best map.  CTF on Deadlock is the best gametype in the playlist.  Although if I were in charge, I would turn off Flag At Home To Score.  It can lead to some wicked long stalemates.

Recurve is the worst map.  It handles Slayer ok, but CTF is fucked.  Those spawns are atrocious.  When your flag is away, you just spawn bottom middle.  When it's not away, you better hope they don't have top side control of your tower, or you'll be spawning into rifle fire most of the time.  Just ask @@Teapot. And the base design leaves a lot to be desired.  I just don't think it's a very well put together map.

Basin is really solid.  We played an overtime game of CTF on it earlier against a good team. My only issue is that the middle house might be a bit too easy to hold once you get it, especially with a shotgun.

Guillotine looks bad, but I think it plays really well.  It's kind of an ugly, plastic looking Headlong with some missing routes (dropdown from Tower 3 to Tower 2, and skinny stairs in Red Base), but it also opens up some new sight lines like those seen in the Breakneck remake, namely old Beam Rifle/new Rocket spawn to back red walkway, which I think is good.  I'm also really glad theres not a Gauss on the map.  However, we did set up a BRUTAL spawn trap on Strongholds when we were holding Tower 1 and Cargo.  They were spawning in the street by the water, and our sniper at Tower 3 was just eating them alive off spawn.  So that needs to be tweaked.  Does anyone know if there is One Flag on Guillotine?  One Flag on Headlong is probably in my top 3 favorite BTB gametypes ever.  I'd love to play it in H5.

I don't know if this has been discussed before but you can adjust the sensitivity of both your joysticks

https://support.xbox.com/en-CA/xbox-one/accessories/use-accessories-app-configure-elite-controller

You can select Slow StartFast Start, or Instant depending on how responsive you want the thumbstick to be in your game.

I haven't played enough to see if it does help, When i try to turn 180 degrees, I don't know if my sensitivity is too low (3) or it's slow turn.

Does anyone feel a difference in the aiming? Like does it feel smooth now or what?

They fixed the slow turn issue so your reticle wouldn't randomly slow down by a shit ton when looking diagonally. Feels great.

Found a exploit spot for Basin, and Deathlock.

Lovely.

BTB is the type of playlist that people quit out of most. JIP keeps games from turning into 15 minute long 8v2s. Did you play MCC? BTB was a disaster because of quitters. You can complain about JIP in the context of it being ranked but if you think that a social BTB playlist should not have JIP then you are not seeing the bigger picture here. Other games have JIP, why shouldn't Halo?

Because nobody likes joining a game already in progress when they have absolutely zero chance of winning, hence why it was removed entirely from MCC. 

The solution isn't to throw anyone into an on-going BTB game, the solution is stricter quit penalties so people won't quit in the first place.

Absolutely.

Hit and miss map design maybe, but H3 and Reach were just spot on with aesthetic.

• Varied

All the designed maps had massive thematic variation. In the sense of design, the elements of every map were unique and specified for the concept. Things like colours and effect were used to to create a different ambient experience. Like the mist of Guardian compared to the tropical sunshine of Last Resort. Or the windy trash of Boardwalk compared to the wind and thunder of Boneyard.

Each map had unique sound ambience, which was subtle enough to not get in the way of gameplay sound, but was incredibly immersive and standing alone in custom games made you feel like you were right there. The only real similarities between maps were shared aesthetics for things like forerunner structures, which were characterful of the original trilogy but weren't in your face at all, and basic reusable assets like plants and rock textures.

• Realistic

There was definitely an art style in those two games, but whatever the style was it looked like it existed for an actual purpose. Every element of every map, when not for gameplay, was there to create a bit of sense. Reach often had power boxes in human structures, and things like concrete skirting, doorway framing, lamposts, roller doors, support beams, danger signs. The interior of the bases in Standoff are great examples of thinking you're in a real place.

Plaza is H5's best representation of this, but suffers from too many aesthetic decisions not making any functional sense, as is the case with all of Halo 5's samey human structure design. Too many bloody pipes and wires. Literally everything made out of partitioned rounded blocks and cylinders. Like, if they removed every functionally pointless polygon from plaza or fathom, theyd have enough left to make a handful Halo 3 maps.

• Non-intrusive

Visual clutter. Dynamic shadows. Glare, bloom, lens flare. Stripes. All the things that gat in the way of my eyeballs seeing the things I want to see; players and weapons.

Just imagine if they took away the bright highlighted outline on weapons available for pickup. You would never be able to see them properly.

Reach and Halo 3? I was never looking around for weapons. Unless they fell in a bush, or got blasted 100m away, you always knew where they were. And then the lighting of Halo 5...

1f37d96fe8.png

fb264a46ac.png

God fucking awful. There is a special place in my personal hell reserved for the person who decided this bullshit was a good idea. I've said before, it doesnt make any canonical sense, spartans visors are meant to block out all that shit. It doesnt look good, it reminds me what stuff looks like when I'm crying, which is suitable since thats what I do every time I'm forced to look at this trash. Compare thise to Halo Reach

map_countdown1.jpg

which even at times dabbles with the stuff but it was never noticeable.

I will also admit that Reaches armour itself looks a bit cluttered sometimes, but again its nothing compared to the clusterfuck of overdesigned armour we've seen with both of 343's games.

And dont get me started on the shadows, Halo 5's always tend to shit themselves

9d157ebcb7.png

• Upvote (+1) 8

today a new preview programm update came out and now all my theater saved files are gone, excellent!

anyone knows how to fix this?

Sorry if this has been asked already but..

How are people checking the XBL chats for activity?

Sorry if this has been asked already but..

How are people checking the XBL chats for activity?

Go to the store tab on the dashboard, choose all games or something like that and there's a most played or most popular list of games.

Initial BTB impressions:

- Ranked with JIP. Why?

- Sniper spawning in the best location to use it on Recurve with a Shotgun right beneath it. Awful.

- Tank on Recurve can be stunned endlessly from the PP spawn in each base, essentially invalidating it and the Laser.

- Recurve's middle tower could do with a bit of an accessibility rework. Too many choke points currently.

- Basin's middle structure feels a bit narrow but otherwise the map seems solid if a bit big.

- Deadlock could probably do with only 1 DMR per side instead of 2.

- Need to play Guillotine more, but enjoyed the game I did play.

- Slayer spawns are horrific. They would be much better being locked to one side for the symmetrical maps.

- I possibly like the Forge aesthetics better than those of the dev maps. Sun glare aside I think that players contrast much better with the forge pieces than they do with 343's  "real" maps. There's a simplicity to it that's really nice to see.

- I'm very impressed with Forge's capabilities so far. Can't wait to see what people have made by Feb-March.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I only played 3 games of BTB. First game was normal and fun as hell. CTF on the Standoff map. The next two games were JIPs. The third in particular was a horrible experience. Down 0-2 in CTF and I got spawn killed for a few minutes until the game ended. I joined so late into the game that I didn't even know what was going on.It didn't help that the majority of my team quit already. I don't understand why those games count towards your placement matches either. I don't feel like placing in Bronze because of JIP so I have no desire to play BTB anymore. Disappointing experience so far.

• Upvote (+1) 2

So are the servers screwed for everyone right now or just me? Every time I try to enter multiplayer I get an error message.

Connecting to lobby

A minute later

Attention

There was a problem with the Xbox Live Party Service

Please try again.

FFS, every night I try to play this game I have issues. Daughter goes to sleep so I can sneak in a couple of hours before she wakes up and I can't even load up a freakin' custom game to see the new maps.

So are the servers screwed for everyone right now or just me? Every time I try to enter multiplayer I get an error message.

Have had this a few times, restarting my Xbox fixed it for me.

Have had this a few times, restarting my Xbox fixed it for me.

I restarted 3 times with no success.

Performing a hard reset by holding down the power button for 10 seconds seems to have fixed it. =\