CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

You really think they'd do a PR hire for the competitive community of all people? We are literally one of the smallest communities. Last thing they were going to do for us is hired four (maybe more?) pro players, give them salaries for the sake of saying "we're listening". 

What a waste of money that would be.

I mean. There are literally thousands of experienced playtesters in this country with actual academic credentials and actual business experience. When was the last time you saw a single one of those dudes show up in videos or on forums explaining game mechanics and features.

The Pro-team spends a lot more time on Reddit than they do here. They were never for us explicitly. They are borrowed "expertise" that 343 can use to help manage the community. Also a PR function.

It's the same traditional marketing idea behind medical supplements or cleaning product endorsements. "Dr. Jennings Douchewell recommends Mass XXX Extreme. He went to Harvard. Believe him."

• Upvote (+1) 6

The developers do. I am happy the score is what I wanted it to be.

the fact that halo 4 doesn't have either a zero or one should tell you all you need to know about that site.

The developers do. I am happy the score is what I wanted it to be.

Just remember. I don't have to play the game to be able to post a review on that site

So how is Halo 5 guys?

Happy I didn't buy seeing the metacritic 6.6 score ..

The metacritic score reflects a ton of things that don't relate to gameplay... Campaign is a love it or hate it thing, and the removal of split screen and absence of many staple gametypes has resulted in poor scorings of the game. A lot of these scorings were also done without the knowledge that more gametypes will be added in later as part of the Sustain Program. (how do I do that cool TM hyperscript?).

Gameplay wise, it's pretty solid. Not perfect, but it's probably the best out of box Halo title since CE. Could use some fine tuning, and weapons on maps could use some improvement, but overall it's a pretty enjoyable game.

I mean. There are literally thousands of experienced playtesters in this country with actual academic credentials and actual business experience. When was the last time you saw a single one of those dudes show up in videos or on forums explaining game mechanics and features.

The Pro-team spends a lot more time on Reddit than they do here. They were never for us explicitly. They are borrowed "expertise" that 343 can use to help manage the community.

It's the same traditional marketing idea behind medical supplements or cleaning product endorsements. "Dr. Jennings Douchewell recommends Mass XXX Extreme. He went to Harvard. Believe him."

That seems to be the case for most employees of 343, rather than just the pro team. Notice as soon as @@Unyshek was hired, he went silent here.

Yeah, there's thousands of playtesters out there who all have actual qualifications and yet, they hire Ghost, Neighbor, etc because they aren't looking for just testers, they're looking for people who have played Halo at a high-level for years and will be honest with what sucks and what doesn't. 

I just don't understand the logic in saying its a PR hire when catering to us, one of the smallest communities, would be a giant waste of money.

• Upvote (+1) 1

That seems to be the case for most employees of 343, rather than just the pro team. Notice as soon as @@Unyshek was hired, he went silent here.

Yeah, there's thousands of playtesters out there who all have actual qualifications and yet, they hire Ghost, Neighbor, etc because they aren't looking for just testers, they're looking for people who have played Halo at a high-level for years and will be honest with what sucks and what doesn't. 

I just don't understand the logic in saying its a PR hire when catering to us, one of the smallest communities, would be a giant waste of money.

I look at it this way. Looking at the game and settings we have now I can imagine only two possible scenarios.

1. Pro-team was a bunch of yes-men who did not sufficiently articulate or even understand what makes a balanced, quality Halo title and failed to reflect the appropriate changes to the game in testing. In effect, they were run-of-the-mill testers. Now they are used as marketing tools for 343 and touted as the prestigious, influential pro-team despite never actually influencing the game. I would summarize this as a PR hire -- or just marketing if you want.

2. Pro-team did have valid suggestions but were ignored or silenced by the devs. Subsequently they were trotted out as the prestigious, influential pro-team despite never actually influencing the game. Also a PR hire.

Were they play testers? Yes. But again -- playtesters don't end up on official marketing materials. Furthermore, it's unclear that the pro-team tested for anything other than game-breaking bugs and flaws given the current state of the game.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I ask myself that every time a match starts

If you don't like it, don't play it. The fact you're punishing yourself by playing something you clearly don't like seems pointless?

Give your feedback, if it doesn't change, don't play it. That'll send a bigger message than playing and saying you dislike it ever will.

• Upvote (+1) 6

isnt that what they are doing with the HCS, the HWC and all the "esports functionality" they've added to the game 

it's apparently not a waste of money

Ugh, I hate posts like this. 

At what point did people decide that the pro team had the final say in everything that happens in Halo 5? Sure, they work there and sure, they're testers but they aren't the developers. They test shit and say yes/no, it's up to the actual multiplayer teams to listen to what they said and actually make changes. If you think Halo 5 is a mess and someone has 'fucking failed this community" then you should be blaming those people, not the pro team.

Unless I'm missing a tweet, post or blog post from any member of the pro team saying "Hey, we did this. If it sucks, blame us and not the team leaders" then please, stop blaming them. 

This is the same company that released Halo 4 and had their head MP guy say it was perfectly good for eSports, which clearly was not the case and this guy still works with the MP team, albeit probably more on Warzone than Arena. 

You're right...we can't blame them too much and it's the higher ups making the final decisions. If that's the case....why hire pros? Seriously...why hire pros if you are going to flip halo's fundamentals upside down? Why have them test and give back input if at the end of the day you want the game to play the way it is?

we deserve fucking better. There is no way we can take this game 100% serious as it is right now. I just can't believe this franchise is going down this path with every new release...there is no way halo 6 won't completely alienate us.

• Upvote (+1) 9

isnt that what they are doing with the HCS, the HWC and all the "esports functionality" they've added to the game 

it's apparently not a waste of money

Saying the HCS/HWC was just for us would be silly, though. They finally realized that eSports can make your game last for a long time - see LoL, Dota, CSGO, etc. They're doing it to make the game and franchise popular, not to please us.

The issue is people saying they gave these people paid salaries to please the competitive community which is just hilarious.

You're right...we can't blame them too much and it's the higher ups making the final decisions. If that's the case....why hire pros? Seriously...why hire pros if you are going to flip halo's fundamentals upside down? Why have them test and give back input if at the end of the day you want the game to play the way it is?

we deserve fucking better. There is no way we can take this game 100% serious as it is right now. I just can't believe this franchise is going down this path with every new release...there is no halo 6 won't completely alienate us.

You tell me, man. You tell me. If I was in Quinn's position, I'd be texting the pro team at 4AM asking if they had any issues and listen to them as much as possible. 

If you're going to hire them, listen to them as much as possible because they literally know Halo better than you (the devs) ever will. 

I think its just a pride thing to be honest. The amount of times we've given feedback on HCS tournaments in the past, only to be ignored for a long time or almost entirely is comical. Remember how many people were calling out that the Bravo/Goldenboy combo didn't work but it wasn't until the end of Season 2 that it finally changed. 

No one likes to be told they're wrong, even I hate it but eventually I'll suck it up and admit it. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

we deserve fucking better. There is no way we can take this game 100% serious as it is right now.

They're just glorified QA testers. I think all of us need to realize this

• Upvote (+1) 1

They're just glorified QA testers. I think all of us need to realize this

sigh...

i'll be on mcc if anyone wants to play HALO

• Upvote (+1) 4

I feel like this game is on the same course as reach and h4 where btb is going to become the most popular list because the size and open nature of the maps nulifies a lot of the game's issues. Escaping with thruster is harder. Autos are less viable. People aren't going to be clambering every .2 seconds. Etc.

• Upvote (+1) 1

@Sal1ent 

When should we expect to hear about the following?

- Spectator mode fixes (mini-map PLEASE)

- When KotH and oddball will be added

- Official gametypes and maps (changes to power weapons , their spawns and the abundance of autos on the map)

- Official settings (Thruster nerf/removal, no radar, pistol or BR only starts)

- How 343 will go about creating the official gametypes/settings

- Official HCS playlist

Thanks in advance  :)

• Upvote (+1) 1

Does Halo 5 even have an actual utility weapon?  Having automatics with kill times faster than precision weapons makes it seem impossible to have one.

I feel like this game is on the same course as reach and h4 where btb is going to become the most popular list because the size and open nature of the maps nulifies a lot of the game's issues. Escapaing with thruster is harder. Autos are less viable. Etc.

can't escape kevin franklin's vision

I feel like this game is on the same course as reach and h4 where btb is going to become the most popular list because the size and open nature of the maps nulifies a lot of the game's issues. Escapaing with thruster is harder. Autos are less viable. Etc.

Depends how much support BTB gets. None of the Arena maps will ever make their way to the 8v8 playlist because it won't work, ever. 

If they actually make dedicated maps for it and not keep throwing Forge 'reimaginations' at them, it has the potential to be a big mode (as it should).

Does Halo 5 even have an actual utility weapon?  Having automatics with kill times faster than precision weapons makes it seem impossible to have one.

does cod? does battlefield? does titanfall? does killzone? see where i'm going with this?

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

@Sal1ent 

When should we expect to hear about the following?

- Spectator mode fixes (mini-map PLEASE)

- When KotH and oddball will be added

- Official gametypes and maps (changes to power weapons , their spawns and the abundance of autos on the map)

- Official settings (Thruster nerf/removal, no radar, pistol or BR only starts)

- How 343 will go about creating the official gametypes/settings

- Official HCS playlist

Thanks in advance  :)

Your last four points have already been answered. Team Arena is the HCS playlist in Halo 5. If anything is going to be changed for HCS, it'll be changed for Team Arena including power weapons, spawn locations and the abundance of autos. Thruster isn't being removed and it isn't going to be nerfed for HCS, radar is staying and BR starts would be awful.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Saying the HCS/HWC was just for us would be silly, though. They finally realized that eSports can make your game last for a long time - see LoL, Dota, CSGO, etc. They're doing it to make the game and franchise popular, not to please us.

The issue is people saying they gave these people paid salaries to please the competitive community which is just hilarious.

agreed, 343 gets their money's worth from the pros, the pro team doesn't just sit in a room and stare at a wall for 8 hours every day

i feel if the pro team were truly in charge of the multiplayer, we would have a mini map in spectator mode, we would have more maps. we would have no radar from the jump like the past decade ffs, we would have more game types at launch

obvious problems wouldn't exist

not to be ageist, but i blame the 45 year old weekend warriors who are the ones calling the shots when it comes to competitive halo multiplayer when they clearly don't get it, they know who they are

This is official? sigh..... it was good while it lasted boys...

They've already said Team Arena is the HCS playlist so unless they're removing it from there, it's staying.