CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Question for people who are playing a ton of Arena - when you find a BR/DMR/LightRifle, are you dropping your Pistol to pick it up or your Assault Rifle?

Depends on the map, but usually I'm dropping the AR. The other guns tend to burn out of ammo too quickly (especially the Light Rifle) and with the way this game's aiming is I can't actually track targets with automatics for the life of me. They're great for ambushes and cleanups, but I don't feel like I'm playing effectively if I ever am trying to use an automatic weapon at a range in which the scope would be helpful when there's a much more reliable option.

I feel in control of my battles when I use (most - the BR is a weird little exception; it's super easy close-mid but at mid-long range, like across Coliseum, I'd rather just use the pistol than deal with the BR's recoil) precision weapons. Can't say the same for the autos; sometimes they work great for me, other times it feels like I'm shooting marshmallows again.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I haven't had a chance to check out team doubles yet, how is it?

Any issue that Team Arena has, Doubles has.

At what point did people decide that the pro team had the final say in everything that happens in Halo 5? Sure, they work there and sure, they're testers but they aren't the developers. They test shit and say yes/no, it's up to the actual multiplayer teams to listen to what they said and actually make changes. I

How do you know this is how it goes down?  That their say is limited to a yes/no, that their brains aren't picked by the devs, that they don't sit down show and explain to devs what worked and didn't in old halos?

How do you know this is how it goes down?  That their say is limited to a yes/no, that their brains aren't picked by the devs, that they don't sit down show and explain to devs what worked and didn't in old halos?

Isn't it painfully obvious? They're literally testers.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

I say make the pistol 4sk and reduce the ammo that smg/ar/storm rifle hold by half or more. 

Keeping the autos super powerful but keeping them limited in use.

Idk.

there are dmrs on the map that you pick up and they only have ONE clip in them....why not do the same for autos on the map?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Precisely. Anyone claiming they were 'PR hires' is out of their minds. Without sounding like a complete ass, it's a case of egos. We've seen time and time again that some developers won't accept they're in the wrong about some things and as a result, Halo has ended up worse. Sprint is literally the biggest example of this. If the pro team had the final say in everything, it would be gone in an instant.

You just described exactly why it is a PR move.

1) Hire a team of pros with the intent on getting meaningful feedback from them to make the game more competitive

2) Shoehorn in a half dozen mechanics that ruin any competent merit the game had

3) Refuse any feedback that pertains to the biggest issues in the game

4) Trot them out on stage for PR events

• Upvote (+1) 6

Theres a difference between QA testers and those who test/balance the sandbox etc.

Saying that there are some alarming things in the game that make you wonder how it didnt get through the Pro Team.

Isn't it painfully obvious? They're literally testers.

Nope.  I don't work there, neither do you.  You assume a lot.  

You think? I used to think the same but once I saw how easy it was to use and how crouching reduces recoil and spread, I had to keep it - especially with headshots playing a factor non-shielded enemies.

I truly do. Past the RRR it's mainly meant for, I find it gets way too unpredictable. Crouching and trying to eliminate recoil won't help against a strafing, jumping and generally faster moving opponent. One who'll most likely have a ranged weapon capable of more precise and predictable shot placement, especially against someone who can only move a few feet while crouched, trying to gain a subtle advantage. 

I find people who drop the Magnum to be utterly crazy;  but then again, it just may be my bias on how reliable the weapon is for me talking.

1) Hire a team of pros with the intent on getting meaningful feedback from them to make the game more competitive

2) Shoehorn in a half dozen mechanics that ruin any competent merit the game had

Exactly. Either it is PR move and the pros have no say, or are ignored.

Or the pros are not pounding their fists on the table, being a passive, poor employee allowing competitive mistakes survive in projects.   Or the pros don't have a clue about designing competitive gameplay.

A pure PR hire would be them having no impact on the game at all and instead just smiling, showing up at events and nothing being added to the game at all for the 2-3 years they were there. 

I can imagine a Halo that would be so different if the pro team wasn't there and if the pro team had the final say on everything.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Nope.  I don't work there, neither do you.  You assume a lot.  

I mean if you're saying I'm assuming, I'd love to know what you're doing. We've got some members who think these guys have the final say in everything when a tester is normally the lowest-tier job you can get. You're not there to give feedback on the games mechanics and suddenly the team will bend over backwards and say "YES, YOU'RE RIGHT". You're there to play the game, point out flaws and give some feedback and hope they listen to it.

If you want to think the pro team had no real impact on this game, then that's on you. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

• Upvote (+1) 2

A pure PR hire would be them having no impact on the game at all and instead just smiling, showing up at events and nothing being added to the game at all for the 2-3 years they were there. 

I can imagine a Halo that would be so different if the pro team wasn't there and if the pro team had the final say on everything.

Lol what? What you are describing is a PR position. As in they were hired to be PR representatives explicitly.

While this is part of their purpose indeed, a PR hire is a hire that is intended on its own to signal to the audience a certain set of priorities without having any true functional capacity (or having very little if they do). Pretty clear, imo.

If you can agree that the vision that competitive players would have for this game and what was actually produced are dramatically different, then it is plain evidence that the "Pro-team" had very little practical influence on the game. Period.

I mean if you're saying I'm assuming, I'd love to know what you're doing. We've got some members who think these guys have the final say in everything when a tester is normally the lowest-tier job you can get. You're not there to give feedback on the games mechanics and suddenly the team will bend over backwards and say "YES, YOU'RE RIGHT". You're there to play the game, point out flaws and give some feedback and hope they listen to it.

If you want to think the pro team had no real impact on this game, then that's on you. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Isn't it obvious.  I am saying I do not work there so I cannot possibly know what exactly their role is as opposed to pretending I know what is going on in the inside.  I don't know if they had a lot, none, or some impact.  But you seem to think you do.

Lol what? What you are describing is a PR position. As in they were hired to be PR representatives explicitly.

While this is part of their purpose indeed, a PR hire is a hire that is intended on its own to signal to the audience a certain set of priorities without having any true functional capacity (or having very little if they do). Pretty clear, imo.

You really think they'd do a PR hire for the competitive community of all people? We are literally one of the smallest communities and that isn't an opinion, it is literally fact. We all claim Sprint is the worst thing for Halo yet when it comes to an actual poll through the feedback program, we're in the 11%.

Last thing they were going to do for us is hired four (maybe more?) pro players, give them salaries for the sake of saying "we're listening". 

What a waste of money that would be.

Not really. This is black and white thinking.

• Upvote (+1) 1

So how is Halo 5 guys?

Happy I didn't buy seeing the metacritic 6.6 score ..

you take that shit site seriously?
  • Upvote (+1) 9

Pro Team might had an impact on what we have now as Halo 5, that being said...there is more work to be done(which im 100% sure they are aware of it).

Yup, it's gotten to the point where I despise automatics more than the sniper.

AR, storm rifle, SMG all ruin the shooting skill gap. Most precision weapons don't even come close to being able to compete. It's infuriating at times.

Doubles helped this issue shine. It needs to change.

I told you guys H5 would be as easy as ever. Just like h4, just like h6 ..

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 4

Let's be honest. If you were the hiring manager, who are the pros you would look at to make a good competitive Halo? Here are names that come to my mind: Gandhi, Shockwave, Ogre 1 or 2, Walshy, Lunchbox, Elamite.

Who are the pros we got? Neighbor, Dersky, Side, Ghost.

You can't claim to be serious about competitive viability and then make blatantly sub-optimal choices to accomplish the task.

It doesn't matter. In all honesty, I find that 343 needing to hire pros to tell them how the game should play is embarrassing.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1