CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Got a couple of games in. Aiming feels super weird and sniper is ridiculous.

yeah i dont know about you but i get signifigantly more headshots with the sniper in h5 then any other halo game....even halo 2 anniversary with its monstrously high aim assist

yeah i dont know about you but i get signifigantly more headshots with the sniper in h5 then any other halo game....even halo 2 anniversary with its monstrously high aim assist

because the magnetism is crazy high in h5. This is known. Sniper is stupid easy in h5.

• Upvote (+1) 2

does anyone know if and when FFA is going to be 6 players instead of 8?

Hopefully it will stay 8 and just get taken off the shitty maps. 

8 players on Truth, Regret, Coliseum, Plaza, and eden is fine (Except for rockets on all those maps. those need to go away). Rig is borderline for FFA

Its empire, fathom, pegasus, that are the bad maps, and IMO its not because theres 8 players, but rather the weapons on map and where they are. 

Take the storm rifles out of tree house (And off Fathom entirely) and suddenly the strategy opens up some from "Get storm rifle and camp tree house"

Move the shotgun away from Tower on empire and put a different power weapon outside (IMO it needs a sniper out there for 4v4 as well, caster doesnt give enough reason to leave inside if you have control of it IMO) and suddenly the gametype goes beyond "Get shotgun and crouch in tower"

Pegasus is a clusterfuck for powerpositions in general. 

• Downvote (-1) 2

I knew there was something wrong with the snipe the first time I picked it up. It feels so clunky. It should zoom instantaneously. I think the magnetism is too high. There have been times where I was legitimately missing and bullet would curve and hit them.. I don't understand how the pro team didn't catch that. They are human, they make mistakes I guess.

The only maps I like are coliseum, fathom, and truth. Empire is alright. Maybe I don't like them because I'm not familiar with them but I have a feeling those four maps are the only maps suited for competitive play. 

The storm rifle is stupid OP. It needs to be nerfed IMO. I don't want this post to be completely negative so I will say that the dedicated servers have been absolutely perfect so far. Everything registers. If I lose I can't blame it on connection anymore. If only MCC had/connected to dedicated servers like it was supposed to from launch. 

does anyone know if and when FFA is going to be 6 players instead of 8?

They've been testing it for a little bit now. Hopefully it will change soon.

Null parameter, the admin of the forging forum around during H3 called xforgery recently has come back and made a new forge forum. The guy is a programming genius and loves doing projects.

Anyway, he's actually in the process of making a working server browser for H5. No I'm not kidding, the site is forge.world but it's not up yet. I'll make a thread here when it goes live :)

That would be great. I have wanted a custom server browser for Halo for a long time. 

These maps are awful

Yep. Clamber, sprint, and thrust make for hectic maps, especially when 343 designs maps to show those abilities off.

Always something to clamber up, always something to thrust behind, and always 4-5 different escape routes to sprint towards.

FGDGFTC.png

ojA1CUR.jpg

hF0aUI6.jpg

v7M0wDP.jpg

Ja8zp2h.png

xkPjsPZ.jpg

Here's a look at what Halo's map progression looks like. All maps basically have the same "lay out". A middle structure with "lanes" coming out on 4 sides.

And I don't know how to enlarge these images, but if you want to see all the images the same size so you can really compare them, I suggest viewing my post on mobile. If you're interested in this kind of shit.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Relatively the same map structure.

CommentPhotos.com_1394902330.jpg
Worded it kind of weird, my bad. You get the idea though, hopefully.

Central structure in the middle, leading out 4 different ways to smaller bases or areas.

how is the radar+ar combo in doubles?

Forget the AR. The SMG is a freakin' power weapon. I legit ignore the Plasma Caster on Empire and go for the SMG instead, I'm not even joking. A few games ago I dropped an SMG for the Plasma Caster, fired a few shots from it and then swapped it back for my SMG since it's so much easier to use.

The AR isn't soooo bad, but it still needs a nerf. If you miss a single magnum shot you're almost guaranteed to lose while the AR spamming player can miss far more shots and still kill you. The automatic weapons are far too forgiving.

Removing radar would definitely help, but even then the problem isn't fixed when low skill close range weapons can kill you so quickly and there's so many different things to jump on, hide behind, clamber over, etc.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Forget the AR. The SMG is a freakin' power weapon. I legit ignore the Plasma Caster on Empire and go for the SMG instead, I'm not even joking. A few games ago I dropped an SMG for the Plasma Caster, fired a few shots from it and then swapped it back for my SMG since it's so much easier to use.

The AR isn't soooo bad, but it still needs a nerf. If you miss a single magnum shot you're almost guaranteed to lose while the AR spamming player can miss far more shots and still kill you. The automatic weapons are far too forgiving.

Removing radar would definitely help, but even then the problem isn't fixed when low skill close range weapons can kill you so quickly and there's so many different things to jump on, hide behind, clamber over, etc.

I agree. I just played 5 games. Won 3 and lost 2. All of them basically played out the same way.  Not a fan of h5 doubles. The automatics and radar (range) need to be addressed asap. I played Empire, Eden, Plaza and Truth and everyone but the last map felt like guardian/lockout doubles but 10 times worst in terms of gameplay. Plaza is the worst of them all. This map in doubles with h5's gameplay mechanics and features show why I dislike certain aspects f this game so much. The match literally revolved around who can camp that side building the most with their trusty automatic weapon. Disgusting. Radar is going to be campy, everyone knows this...but this new radar with it's short range and OP automatics = bad gameplay.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yep. Clamber, sprint, and thrust make for hectic maps, especially when 343 designs maps to show those abilities off.

Always something to clamber up, always something to thrust behind, and always 4-5 different escape routes to sprint towards.

This. Even with the abilities the maps could be much better designed. For example Coliseum has a good layout but the sniper side is a maze full of clamber spots and places to vanish if in trouble. There are so many variables in the the relation of maps and game play to keep you in "control" which lead to too many situations you can't predict (there should be some of course). In Halo if you are good you have always had a certain clue what the enemy near by can do and what they will most likely do. Now the variables get out of hand, in my opinion. 

If the maps in general were more simplified with reduced routes to maneuver the game play would improve significantly. This is because currently the radar is supposed to help you keep track of thrusting, sprinting and clambering fellas, but with a simplified map design the radar could be completely removed while keeping a moderate skill gap to escape. 

I don't think they will remove radar now (unfortunately), though they should reduce the range to a few meters so it would only help for tracking escaping people. There shouldn't be time to react if someone is coming behind you for an assassination. If there is, the game play is what we see now: crouching, a lot of it. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I agree. I just played 5 games. Won 3 and lost 2. All of them basically played out the same way. Not a fan of h5 doubles. The automatics and radar (range) need to be addressed asap. I played Empire, Eden, Plaza and Truth and everyone but the last map felt like guardian/lockout doubles but 10 times worst in terms of gameplay. Plaza is the worst of them all. This map in doubles with h5's gameplay mechanics and features show why I dislike certain aspects f this game so much. The match literally revolved around who can camp that side building the most with their trusty automatic weapon. Disgusting. Radar is going to be campy, everyone knows this...but this new radar with it's short range and OP automatics = bad gameplay.

I used to play a game called Tribes Aerial Assault on ps2. Had about about 10k unique players. There were a ton of single shot weapons that took so much skill to use. It had really fast gameplay and you had to lead shots for days.

But there was a machine gun that was called the chainsaw. It was the only hitscan and automatic in the game and it raped.

10,000 players, and no one dared to use it. Didn't have to patch it, didn't have to even talk about it. Anyone had the ability to pull this thing out and destroy people. No one ever did though.

Huge tournament championship games on the line. People would have rather lost than used the chainsaw.

If a noob ever used it without knowing, people politely told him, and it wasn't spoken about again.

Times have changed man, at least on consoles.

• Upvote (+1) 6

easily the worst maps in the franchise.....halo 4 maps look decent compared to the mazes we have in h5...tell me again how sprint, clamber and thruster have not ruined this games potential..

• Upvote (+1) 3

I used to play a game called Tribes Aerial Assault on ps2. Had about about 10k unique players. There were a ton of single shot weapons that took so much skill to use. It had really fast gameplay and you had to lead shots for days.

But there was a machine gun that was called the chainsaw. It was the only hitscan automatic in the game and it raped.

10,000 players, and no one dared to use it. Didn't have to patch it, didn't have to even talk about it. Anyone had the ability to pull this thing out and destroy people. No one ever did though.

Huge tournament championship games on the line. People would have rather lost than used the chainsaw.

If a noob ever used it without knowing, people politely told him, and it wasn't spoken about again.

Times have changed man, at least on consoles.

wow....beautiful. COD single handedly ruined console fps with it's noob friendly gameplay. Now everything has to be easy and simple to use. You can clearly look at the automatics in h5 and tell where the influence came from. I doubt we get them patched the way we want because 343 clearly wants them to be super easy to use.

wow....beautiful. COD single handedly ruined console fps with it's noob friendly gameplay. Now everything has to be easy and simple to use. You can clearly look at the automatics in h5 and tell where the influence came from. I doubt we get them patched the way we want because 343 clearly wants them to be super easy to use.

It's funny that 343 mentions E-Sports. To me the only reason they say that is because they know that's where all the $$$ at. Calling a game an E-Sport makes the game more interesting. Yet it all seems like a ploy because the actual game is sooooo far from competitive. Crazy aim assist, ridiculous magnetism, super powerful autos, no LAN and no split screen. LOL real E-Sports oriented. It takes more than calling the game that to make it one.
  • Upvote (+1) 5

Wow. Just had a game of CTF where the score was 2-2 and I had the flag in hand for the final cap. I could see our base was just around the corner and all I had to do was beat one guy. So I drop the flag and kill the guy on the other team, but before I could pick up the flag, my teammate decided to pick it up and run the opposite way back to their base. WTF. I tried shooting at him but he just kept running it. He end up dying and the other team won 3-2, after our team was up 2-0. The only thing that stopped me from throwing my controller across the room was the fact that it was a $200 elite controller. I still can't believe what just went down............ :(

• Upvote (+1) 3

It's funny that 343 mentions E-Sports. To me the only reason they say that is because they know that's where all the $$$ at. Calling a game an E-Sport makes the game more interesting. Yet it all seems like a ploy because the actual game is sooooo far from competitive. Crazy aim assist, ridiculous magnetism, super powerful autos, no LAN and no split screen. LOL real E-Sports oriented. It takes more than calling the game that to make it one.

politics as usual

Truth, regret and Eden are actually really good for dubs IMO. Fathom and Plaza are extremely frustrating. Rig is okay, but its hard to get angles to help team mates unless youre stacked.

Empire would be good, but I just went 13-4 against Chris is Soarin (semi pro) by whoring the shotty with OV. Not cool. Gotta remove the shotty.

Plaza is way too slow, with OV being way too powerful due to the segmentation of the map. The worst part is the crouching once one team gets a lead.

Fathom is awkward because once you get top mid, they can only push you from treehouse. They cant do the top mid jump because its easy to see it coming with radar. You have to wait for camo to spawn but you can't push for it without getting railed from top mid. If you do push from treehouse, you have to kill the kid camping there with storm rifle. If you send two guys to treehouse to counter the camper, you just both get naded or railed by top mid guy. I literally have two perfections on Fathom because of this OP setup. Its so bad that Gabriel and FFantasy beat us 25-7 on the first game, then we beat them on the same map 25-11. Which ever team gets top mid locked down first wins the game.

What's wrong with hectic maps?

Edit: also don't accidently follow this thread, I have 287 notifications now.