CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

thats exactly what you want, why would allow players to be so far from cover and still allow them to get behind it? That's way too forgiving, and being able to shoot would not ha e to be overly difficult, aim assist can be tweaked slightly, or speed can be adjusted, I don't see any detriment to shooting, it would shorten engagements on higher levels, which is exactly what we want.

You think people staying a 2 steps closer to cover would make a difference in the grand scheme of things..?

And no tweaking aim assists or speed to make it "more intuitive" AKA easier just sounds like something that would reduce the skill gap. I wouldn't find myself supporting this ever.

I think it's dumb to claim you can't shoot while thrusting then claim it's too hard in its current form, to ultimately just end up saying it should be made easier to shorten engagements. Should we spawns with BRs to shorten engagements too?

You think people staying a 2 steps closer to cover would make a difference in the grand scheme of things..?

And no tweaking aim assists or speed to make it "more intuitive" AKA easier just sounds like something that would reduce the skill gap. I wouldn't find myself supporting this ever.

I think it's dumb to claim you can't shoot while thrusting then claim it's too hard in its current form, to ultimately just end up saying it should be made easier to shorten engagements. Should we spawns with BRs to shorten engagements too?

are you kidding me? First off, having people need to get closer to cover allows less mindless retreating and results in kills that are deserved to be actually earned, how can you really support kids getting behind cover effortlessly from ten feet away? Secondly, I don't actually think it would be so difficult as to require differences in aiming mechanics to work that's more hypothetical(as is this whole scenario), a good player will land their shots, it's not fucking rocket science, and I didn't claim it was hard too hard to shoot during the animation you said that.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

are you kidding me? First off, having people need to get closer to cover allows less mindless retreating and results in kills that are deserved to be actually earned, how can you really support kids getting behind cover effortlessly from ten feet away with no effort? Secondly, I don't actually think it would be so difficult as to require differences in aiming mechanics to work that's more hypothetical(as is this whole scenario), a good player will land their shots, it's not fucking rocket science, and I didn't claim it was hard too hard to shoot during the animation you said that.

I see where you're coming from, but the difference would be so minor that it would be a pointless change. It's not about supporting it or not, it's just that there are more important things to relay to 343 than reducing the thrusters' distance by short amount... and like I said, it would also reduce the ability to counter CQB tools like AR, shotgun, crouching around corners, etc.

As for the bolded part:

it's not enough, and it's certainly not as intuitive.

I agree to disagree at this point.

We're looking at a bunch of feedback like this and planning a series of improvements that will happen over time. It all gets stack ranked and prioritized, but bottom line is we will keep making tweaks (both subtle and more substantial) to improve all aspects of the experience, including the UI experience. Thank you and please keep the feedback coming.

Question: does upgrading the UI experience include more options in terms of controls? I think I heard something about an aim acceleration slider

Whether or not thruster is skillful during a gun battle is irrelevant in my opinion because 95% of the time, thruster is just used to escape death and run away. I'd much rather have a faster movement speed and quicker strafe. Too bad some players are so used to being able to run away when getting shot instead of fighting it out that they won't even entertain the idea of classic Halo anymore. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

We're looking at a bunch of feedback like this and planning a series of improvements that will happen over time. It all gets stack ranked and prioritized, but bottom line is we will keep making tweaks (both subtle and more substantial) to improve all aspects of the experience, including the UI experience. Thank you and please keep the feedback coming.

Oh, wow, thank you so much for the reply! Will do on the feedback. 

Question: does upgrading the UI experience include more options in terms of controls? I think I heard something about an aim acceleration slider

"One thing that has become clear in absorbing all your feedback is that Halo players want choice when it comes to controls. And with that in mind, we are also working on another little pet project that will allow even more precise tuning. This update will offer more custom fine-tuned control over controller settings (hint: independent vertical/horizontal sensitivities, the ability to calibrate your own dead zones, more granularity in sensitivity, and more). We hope to have that out for you in December and we will follow up with more details later. "

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/community/blog-posts/november-sneak-peek

To that end, can we use this thread (perhaps pinned if the Moderators/Administrators deem that appropriate) as a hub for feedback and post-launch suggestions (there are a large number of great suggestions there already)? I would imagine it would be easier for people like Josh to see our feedback and pass it along to others at 343i if it is all located in one thread/post.

Also, @@Sal1ent, some time ago following Gamescom I PM-ed you a(n extensive) feedback post, if you get a chance to read it, I would very much appreciate a response as I've found much of the post's content to be applicable now following release. On the topic of feedback, if issues raised by international players regarding lag continue, (there is a thread here on the topic) will a data center selection tool be something 343i consider?

I'm still not quite sure if that december update contains an actual change to the aim acceleration. I also assumed more granularity meant being able to fine tune a sensitivity inbetween 3-4, but still haven't gotten any clarification that this game's aiming system would feel good on a high sensitivity.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Hey, I have been lagging in literally ever game I have played since launch. This game is unplayable for myself and many others. I have some examples of the matches I have had only today.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Avenger%20V/video/12713715

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Avenger%20V/video/12713691

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Avenger%20V/video/12713703

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Avenger%20V/video/12713732

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Avenger%20V/video/12713744

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Avenger%20V/video/12704055

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Avenger%20V/video/12703847

There is a huge thread on waypoint as well who share the issues I have. Are you guys looking into this problem? I played Halo 3 this morning with no problems whatsoever. Thank you.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I see where you're coming from, but the difference would be so minor that it would be a pointless change. It's not about supporting it or not, it's just that there are more important things to relay to 343 than reducing the thrusters' distance by short amount... and like I said, it would also reduce the ability to counter CQB tools like AR, shotgun, crouching around corners, etc.

As for the bolded part:

I agree to disagree at this point.

didnt mean it was hard, maybe I missed the word intuitive, I meant that the because the guns go down players are less likely to even try to use their guns, encouraging bad plays that reward them because it's simplistic and flings you too far, not that it was hard to execute physically. I think if the gun stays out, players will try more often to get kills while thrusting, and I don't think it would be so hard that it would be impossible to get good at with enough practice.

On its own(if we did nothing else) it'd be a minor difference, and I don't think it would damage the players ability to combat cqb weapons, I'm not saying we cut the distance in half or anything, if anything maps need to be less cluttered with cover, and sprint needs to go(since many players just thrust behind cover so that they can sprint and not get shot out of it), then we don't have to nerf thrusts range all that much, since it is inherently a very impressionable ability, meaning how it's used is largely dictated by other aspects of the game.

One thing that would absolutely raise the skill gap, would be making it a charge based ability with its distance dictated by how long you hold the button down, this gives player more control over how they use it, and allowing shooting makes sure that this kind of thing doesn't prolong fights too long(along with fast killtimes). another thing that would help would be allowing crouching while doing it further giving control to the player at the cost of skill. At high levels, with more given to the player, the skill gap is raised with additions like these.

Whether or not thruster is skillful during a gun battle is irrelevant in my opinion because 95% of the time, thruster is just used to escape death and run away. I'd much rather have a faster movement speed and quicker strafe. Too bad some players are so used to being able to run away when getting shot instead of fighting it out that they won't even entertain the idea of classic Halo anymore.

The reason players can get away with using it in annoying ways is primarily because it's annoyingly simple in how it's designed, it's a button push for Christ sake. That's why I proposed a charge based design, making far less impulsive, and this would come with its own host of balances, like slower charge time when taking hits (prioritizing strafe), not allowing players to hold it indefinitely(so that players can't enter a fight with it fully charged). We could even tie it and other abilities to a single meter that can only be recharged with either map pick ups, or simply after it's been depleted completely on its own.

I raged and quit a dubs game than lost 4 more game and some how got placed in champion why? how?

I raged and quit a dubs game than lost 4 more game and some how got placed in champion why? how?

I lost my tenth SWAT match (and the two before) and got placed into Diamond. Lol.

I cannot even bronze.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1