CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

BTW if you don't think req packs will become a problem look at posts like this I see on Facebook

"I don't care I already spent about 100 bucks of my own money on req packs. Because I can."

Okay? And that's their problem. :P Their money. Why are the REQ's the problem, when it's still a person's choice to spend the absurd amount of money to buy them, especially since they're optional.

• Upvote (+1) 4

This is where I get frustrated with Halo games, and it goes back to my "Memento" comment. I get that it takes a long time to find the right prioritization of "features" in a game and it takes a long time in general to make a AAA title. However, this is the 6th "main" Halo game. We shouldn't be re-inventing the wheel each time in regards to basic features. From the outside, it looks a lot like lack of direction or lack of good management. At the beginning of any Halo game, it shouldn't take a long time to prioritize the "core" features that Halo players are expecting. Playlists and ranking shouldn't be a player-driven experiment with every single release. The number of unique multiplayer maps for each mode should be set early in development and made a priority.

It always seems like we start at 0 rather than build off what worked in past games. I'm always left with the sense that the developers tried a thousand different things for 2 years, and then scrambled to cobble together a Halo game in the last 1 year of development. It feels like an extreme lack of direction or focus at the onset. At this stage in Halo games, multiplayer development time should be spent tuning weapon balance, properly implementing gameplay changes, and building multiplayer maps, not trying to figure out whether players want a Team Doubles playlist or how the roster should look. 

If you want to understand why each new CoD is so popular, look no further than the continuity of the games.

Yep. Reminds me a lot of the NFL. You've got the teams like the patriots who have had the same quarterback, coach and system for nearly two decades. All it's got them is 4 superbowls and arguably the greatest dynasty of all time.

Then you've got your teams that are constantly switching coaches, systems, etc who can't win shit.

You're never going to get a good halo game if you're trying to reinvent the wheel every time.

Yep. Reminds me a lot of the NFL. You've got the teams like the patriots who have had the same quarterback, coach and system for nearly two decades. All it's got them is 4 superbowls and arguably the greatest dynasty of all time.

Then you've got your teams that are constantly switching coaches, systems, etc who can't win shit.

You're never going to get a good halo game if you're trying to reinvent the wheel every time.

yeah, like I'm pretty sure we established that infection, team doubles etc were fan favorites, there's no reason we should have to wait for them now, we already know we like them.

Okay? And that's their problem. :P Their money. Why are the REQ's the problem, when it's still a person's choice to spend the absurd amount of money to buy them, especially since they're optional.

Slippery slope towards pay to win

Consumer debt crisis was a direct result of stuff like this (overspending on completely trivial things).

Battlefront's lack of a campaign is not acceptable in this day and age. When I bought BF2 it was 49.99. Now games are 79.99 here. Using $50 games as a benchmark for content for $80 games isn't going to cut it for me.

Where the hell do you live where games cost $80?? Vanilla is going for $60.

actually it does tighten it a bit, just enough to where it's only needed at long range, but you could get away with doing it at really any range, since it was what a 1.5x zoom or something? I don't know man, the gunplay just feels more fun in the older games to me, maybe it's just the killtimes, the older games definitely were somewhat longer, but all I know is getting kills in the new game got old, it still hasn't for battlefront 2 for me.

We'll go with 1.5x

Hm. Alright. I get where you're coming from. I mean, there were so many ways around the long killtimes back in the day, but I guess I see your point. I still remember Droideka sniping in Rhen Var Citadel in Battlefront 1. Fucking Rhen Var, man. Those were some badass maps.

We'll go with 1.5x

Hm. Alright. I get where you're coming from. I mean, there were so many ways around the long killtimes back in the day, but I guess I see your point. I still remember Droideka sniping in Rhen Var Citadel in Battlefront 1. Fucking Rhen Var, man. Those were some badass maps.

We'll go with 1.5x

In canada games are 79.99 plus tax. So roughly $95.

In canada games are 79.99 plus tax. So roughly $95.

Holy actual crap. That's some rough shit m8. Yeah no, don't get Battlefront. That's getting ripped off big time.

Imagine being a new viewer, coming from CSGO as an example, If he saw kids pull out automatic weapons on a consistant basis in cqc, that only has to be aimed in the general direction of opponents to get kills, stream would be closed out instantely..

• Upvote (+1) 1

Consumer debt crisis was a direct result of stuff like this (overspending on completely trivial things).

Personally, I promise you that if Halo EVER becomes pay-to-win, even if it's the best Halo game of all time, I'll drop it on its forehead and never look back. No second thoughts (unless it was just in Warzone or something, then I just wouldn't touch the mode at all).

343 managed to strike a perfect balance in terms of selling REQ without making it pay-to-win. I don't know how they got it right on the first try, but there's literally nothing to change. Keep it exactly as it is and just add more content to it. Nothing more, nothing less. If people want to spend a shit ton of money on it, it's on them. I choose not to.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I don't get the connection between someone paying money for something, leading to a change in the system as it stands, towards a pay to win version. (Also, gonna emphasis the latter quote by bolding "consumer".)

Holy actual crap. That's some rough shit m8. Yeah no, don't get Battlefront. That's getting ripped off big time.

Ya its pretty dumb.

It's not really, 80 Canadian dollars is ~60 USD with the current exchange rates.

It's not really, 80 Canadian dollars is ~60 USD with the current exchange rates.

Cooper's estimates put him at about 95 USD in the hole with tax. Is this commensurate with exchange rates?

It's funny to me to see people defending randomized micro-transactions on a $60 title. Especially Halo 5 with the amount of content it's missing.

• Upvote (+1) 6

One thing I really love about helmet variations in Halo 5 have to be the differing textures in visors. It's a subtle detail, but really shows. (Sorry for the clutter, but I couldn't find a spoiler tag to condense it)

zsDcgGd.png

wv6jHdW.png

mvCbcdd.png

k3Am9Lw.png

OqhDHCK.png

• Upvote (+1) 1

Cooper's estimates put him at about 95 USD in the hole with tax. Is this commensurate with exchange rates?

I don't know where he came to that figure, the highest sales tax I could find for Canada is 13% which would make the sales price of an 80CAD game ~90CAD. That converts to $67 US, which isn't outrageous. For example where I live after sales tax a game is $65ish.

One thing I really love about helmet variations in Halo 5 have to be the differing textures in visors. It's a subtle detail, but really shows. (Sorry for the clutter, but I couldn't find a spoiler tag to condense it)

That's actually pretty cool I never noticed that.

It's one of the only things that is inflated "properly". For example i'm almost certain consoles are the same price here as in the states. 

It's one of the only things that is inflated "properly". For example i'm almost certain consoles are the same price here as in the states. 

It's not purely a matter of exchange rate "inflation." Canada has a different tax structure than the US, which factors a lot into the various pricing (for example, a 12 pack of "cheap" beer in BC is like... $25 CAD (~$18 US)).

It's not purely a matter of exchange rate "inflation." Canada has a different tax structure than the US, which factors a lot into the various pricing (for example, a 12 pack of "cheap" beer in BC is like... $25 CAD (~$18 US)).

I know. Im just saying gaming stuff has always largely been unaffected by this as the price of pretty much everything game related has stayed on par with pricing in the states until quite recently.

I'm sorry but the server issues are NO WHERE near what it was for MCC. And 343 are being actually pretty fast to find and fix the issue. Don't take this as defending MCC.

MCC had dedicated servers?

• Upvote (+1) 2