CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I don't think either actually spend their days coding.

They work in the same studio don't they? They can just tell them.

• Upvote (+1) 1

This hurts. Honestly I don't know whether to keep on pushing for sprint's removal in competitive or to go the opposite direction and push for making the rest of the game more competitive. It'll take a lot more than just weapon nading and skill jumps to make up for both sprint and thruster.

'Staple' implies nostalgia. The Magnum is clearly much better for competitive, even if it does need a buff.

you know whats eUen better...haUing the pistol and the br!...but i guess the assault rifle is the obUious comeptitUe choice right

They work in the same studio don't they? They can just tell them.

Bravo hasn't been on here since September so tagging him is hopeless. You're better off tweeting him and letting him know what's up.

Servers were so bad last night, I played three or four games and got off. It felt like I was playing on EU host (I'm west coast US). People teleporting, being shot around corners, people eating tons of shots, etc. Very frustrating.

Bravo hasn't been on here since September so tagging him is hopeless. You're better off tweeting him and letting him know what's up.

Will do, thanks.

Gonna have to disagree.

Halo CE is what made halo fun, it was indeed an arena shooter. slower paced than quake and unreal tournament at the time, but it adopted a lot of arena concepts. H2 and 3 went further away from that formula, and it became what you described in your post, same weapon vs same weapon with a couple of items to control on the map. That to me is boring and nowhere near what an arena shooter is.

To each his own that enjoyed mlg amplified and all the other stale boring br start mlg games... but i cant blame them for the settings... its all they could work with.

We finally have a out of the box halo that has gone back to its arena roots... and people don't like arena shooters for some reason. Just puzzles me to see people want halo 2 and 3 style of games instead of HCE style.

CE isn't an arena shooter, nor is H5. Both are completely unique to each other, the rest of the series and FPSes in general.

Anyway, CE balanced non-power non-pistol weapons by giving them specific purposes, not by making them all usable in the same scenarios as H5 does with the Magnum, AR, Storm Rifle, BR, DMR and Light Rifle. The AR and Plasma/Storm Rifle are the 'samest' or least role-confined they've ever been in the series. To compare H5's sandbox to CE's is just silly. To be fair to H5 though, the Hydra and Caster are great additions that do have unique roles, but otherwise the game is just oversaturated with encounters of 3 of the same weapon (Mag, DMR, BR) and 2 of a different weapon that's made for a very similar role (AR and SR).

Generally, for a weapon to be worth having in the game, it should [1] promote map movement OR take skill to acquire and [2] if a non-power weapon, take skill to use. As pickups, the Mag, BR, DMR and LR only fulfill the second criterion and the SR and AR don't fulfill either and are basically just 'oh this is here, I should probably take it' weapons.

Plus, with the greater gap between combat and non-combat movement speed, the whole 'promoting map movement' thing is waaaay less important. Even with Truth's size increase to fit sprint, weapon/powerup/power position acquisition is much more passive and much less of a risk.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Servers were so bad last night, I played three or four games and got off. It felt like I was playing on EU host (I'm west coast US). People teleporting, being shot around corners, people eating tons of shots, etc. Very frustrating.

That is exactly what I'm experiencing almost every game I have played. I excused this the first week the game was out because people claimed it was because the server couldn't handle that many people. Now that the population has dropped significantly I know it is a Halo 5 problem.

so you agree that BR fans are led by nostalgia?

At what time does the weekly playlist go online? I'm at my parents this weekend and usually I'd just play split screen with my brother but you know, no split screen in H5 so I have to hope to get some games done with my brother before I visit my parents (and my brother) which sounds incredibly stupid but thats what modern gaming is all about, big empty word about connecting people

i dont know when it comes online...and just because i apparently dont know english doesnt mean im wrong about the br...and i guess it would be more accurate to say that the ce guys are creaming themselves because the weapon that was primary utility weapon in one halo game is making a come back and the people who played every other halo are wondering...whats going on...i guess when halo 4 came out and it had armor abilities and shit the people who liked  armor abilities just said ohhhh your just being nastolgic...except reach but reach was dmr not pistol

you know whats eUen better...haUing the pistol and the br!...but i guess the assault rifle is the obUious comeptitUe choice right

Only because Halo 5 forces you to start with two weapons, which to be fair is something I had forgotten until right now. But nobody's arguing that (EDIT: meant to say 'against the fact that') the BR is better than the AR.

Also you can use Autohotkey to substitute a key for 'v'.

Seriously, Battlefront comes out in 6 days, and Halo 5 doesn't become a full game until fucking December. Is it safe to say that this game is done? Halo 5 is battling for 6/7th most played game with Minecraft.

• Upvote (+1) 2

i dont know when it comes online...and just because i apparently dont know english doesnt mean im wrong about the br...and i guess it would be more accurate to say that the ce guys are creaming themselves because the weapon that was primary utility weapon in one halo game is making a come back and the people who played every other halo are wondering...whats going on...i guess when halo 4 came out and it had armor abilities and shit the people who liked  armor abilities just said ohhhh your just being nastolgic...except reach but reach was dmr not pistol

You realize that every Halo that had a BR played completely different than each other? None of the BRs behave similarly outside of being a burst weapon that share the same visual design.

Empire is way too small for any gametype in Halo 5. CTF and Strongholds are a shit show and Slayer is a game of who can camp tower with shotgun.

That is exactly what I'm experiencing almost every game I have played. I excused this the first week the game was out because people claimed it was because the server couldn't handle that many people. Now that the population has dropped significantly I know it is a Halo 5 problem.

That sounds awful, that was probably the second night since launch that I've had these issues. Hopefully it gets sorted out.

nice.

how many matches and time did this take??

I wasn't dedicated to it until recently. I grinded out a lot of FFA to maintain that Champion 1 spot in it, but got tired seeing how hard it was to get matches.

Daily in-match time can be seen below. The dive it took was when I grinded out FFA, the spike was when I went back to other stuff.

a5ace76deb763ae6bf718e3c75fc6f5b.png

I'm at 524 Arena games total right now... or 61 hours

Only because Halo 5 forces you to start with two weapons, which to be fair is something I had forgotten until right now. But nobody's arguing that (EDIT: meant to say 'against the fact that') the BR is better than the AR.

Also you can use Autohotkey to substitute a key for 'v'.

autohotkey?

What was the last mention of a working file share system in Halo 5? If they do get one working, I would pray that it lets you upload gameplays to it and others can download it. Pretty disappointing last night finding out we couldn't all go over the same gameplay and as far as I know they never fixed this in MCC.

You realize that every Halo that had a BR played completely different than each other? None of the BRs behave similarly outside of being a burst weapon that share the same visual design.

you could say the exact same thing about the pistol...and eUery other gun for that matter...i think the br in general is an oUerall more balanced and appropriate starting weapon then the pistol...the pistol is a little harder to use but that doesnt mean its best as a starting weapon...especially in contrast to something so easy to use like the ar...they should either buff the pistol to a 4 shot kill or replace it with the br and make the pistol a map pickup...maybe buff to 3sk in that case....or(and this is what i would prefer) put br pistol starts into the rotation with ar pistol starts the same way they rotate the maps

Seriously, Battlefront comes out in 6 days, and Halo 5 doesn't become a full game until fucking December. Is it safe to say that this game is done? Halo 5 is battling for 6/7th most played game with Minecraft.

You're posting this under the assumption that Battlefront will be a complete game at launch.

Can someone give me a couple quick tips on the arena portion of this game? I've played a couple games, but I have newborn twins and don't really have time to get in to it to much. I didnt even know there were thrusters or ground and pound in the game until yesterday just reading a couple forums.

Pistol feels good to me, is that right? 

basically, if your n00b friend came over, what would you tell him before and during play to get him acclimated a little quicker? 

Thanks for any help. 

You're posting this under the assumption that Battlefront will be a complete game at launch.

It's going to be more complete then Halo 5.

Are the servers messed up right now or is it just me?

Can't even get into the main arena screen.