CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Overall it's a solid game at a casual level, competitive at this point nah.

This is where I start asking myself if I've been on a different game than everyone else these past two weeks or what...

Halo 5 has just about nothing for casuals except Warzone at this point... which I'd argue is the least the casual side has ever had at launch out of a Halo game. It for sure isn't solid on that front in the slightest.

As for the rest... Matchmaking becomes 98% competitive matches when you put enough time into it, and I sure am not under the impression that against pros, it isn't solid, but what do I know?

Everyone claims it's super slow, but the people who are familiar with routes and movement abilities make the aggression relentless and people are engaging in fights far more often than not. I haven't had a slow match outside of TS, and most people would agree TS is just bad in general. Strongholds for example, has an amazing pace to it. I wish that mode would just replace TS altogether.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Me vs people in this thread

Chkfb0A.png

Lets be real here, the forum is one THE BEST for giving constructive criticism. Whether or not I'm enjoying Halo 5, we all have equal right to voice our experiences with the game, good and bad. 

And either way, we'll always be the guy on the left. Just playing Fallout 4 instead.

This is where I start asking myself if I've been on a different game than everyone else these past two weeks or what...

Halo 5 has just about nothing for casuals except Warzone at this point... which I'd argue is the least the casual side has ever had at launch out of a Halo game. It for sure isn't solid on that front in the slightest.

As for the rest... Matchmaking becomes 98% competitive matches when you put enough time into it, and I sure am not under the impression that against pros, it isn't solid, but what do I know?

Everyone claims it's super slow, but the people who are familiar with routes and movement abilities make the aggression relentless and people are engaging in fights far more often than not. I haven't had a slow match outside of TS, and most people would agree TS is just bad in general. Strongholds for example, has an amazing pace to it. I wish that mode would just replace TS altogether.

TS would work with a faster killing pistol and power ups and power weapons spawning on a very quick static timer in good spots on the map. 

I used to have way more competitive matches in Halo 2 Team Hardcore around the 40 rank mark and Halo 3 MLG playlist searching solo at 50. Everybody used mics and was going for the win more than anything, in Halo 5 I rarely hear anyone talk when going in solo and just quitting when they start to lose. It's very annoying. 

The maps are just terrible in Halo 5 and I think we have sprint and thruster to thank for that. I mean, just look at the new "Midship", fucking huge with no good way to set up at all thanks to sprint and being able to get anywhere, such as top mid, from anywhere. The maps have no flow, more of a sprint around the map CoD style. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

I agree, but still don't see what has everyone obsessed with the numbers.

As for microtransactions, if they're being used to fund HCS for the most part, I'm not sure it's a valid argument toward the game's development. Either way it's benefiting the competitive side of the game more than not, so it's not a bad thing. At the end of the day, big prize pools attract people, and when people are interested, it results in increased viewership. Dota's always a good example of that (though I don't pretend Halo will necessarily reach the Dota TI levels of viewership, just pointing out how it can increase views and gets people talking about it vs. the regular average).

But there is no excuse, I'm not condoning that. 

IIRC correctly 343 won't say what percentage goes to HCS..  You can't say "for the most part" when 343 won't say.

IIRC correctly 343 won't say what percentage goes to HCS..  You can't say "for the most part" when 343 won't say.

I seem to remember the 50% number being thrown out on some pro streams. Could be  :intel: or could be just guesstimates. Regardless it has to be something decent considering how much the prize pool grew on week 1.

It does, straight out. Learning '"the whole game" of Halo 5, including gameplay, meta, maps, strategy, etc is a tea break compared the the massive amount of depth and knowledge needed to master RS. There is an unbelievably huge amount of shit going on in that game. Where not just comparing combat either. PVM, PVP, minigames, questing all has their own shit to understand, and a lot more to the relative gametypes of Warzone, Slayer, Obj, CTF, Campaign. With weapons alone RS has 10x more viable and used weapons, as well as multiple builds for literally every kind of combat and skilling.

It has meta pouring out of its ass.

I'm not trying to turn this into a RS/Halo debate, and while I agree to an extent and see where you're coming from, the main problem is that the meta unfortunately has a very low skill ceiling to it. There is a lot of stuff to learn and understand, I'll admit this much, but once you understand switching, prayer flicking, game ticks and know about the various gear and their effects, it stops being complex.

Claiming the Halo meta is simple because the core objective is, is heavily sleeping on the skill gap the game has in general. There's a lot of stuff that experienced Halo players do as a second nature and think nothing of it, but are a core component of the game (like positioning based on sight lines, prenading instead of reacting, proper angles, aiming techniques, map movement, timing power items, knowing weapon match-ups, etc.) and this stuff doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of how gametypes alone are handled, their variance between maps, or the meta of Halo 5 itself with the different abilities and weapons.

Sure Halo is straightforward and simple on the surface, but the highest level meta is far from simple. I think both games are complex in their own right (though RS does require a bit more research), but to claim RS is infinitely more complex than Halo 5 is a strong disservice to the game.

• Upvote (+1) 1

TS is not the issue, the issue is having radar on. Frankly, I'm surprised how well TS plays in it's current state. Do any of you remember trying to play previous Halo games with radar on?

TS is not the issue, the issue is having radar on. Frankly, I'm surprised how well TS plays in it's current state. Do any of you remember trying to play previous Halo games with radar on?

Well its because the radar in H5 is terrible

TS is not the issue, the issue is having radar on.

Lmao, what if I like playing 25 meter radar in ranked?

Oh I definitely remember, it always sucks. Radar removes so many opportunities to out smart your opponent, which is how I used to get almost all my kills lol. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

TS would work with a faster killing pistol and power ups and power weapons spawning on a very quick static timer in good spots on the map. 

I used to have way more competitive matches in Halo 2 Team Hardcore around the 40 rank mark and Halo 3 MLG playlist searching solo at 50. Everybody used mics and was going for the win more than anything, in Halo 5 I rarely hear anyone talk when going in solo and just quitting when they start to lose. It's very annoying. 

The maps are just terrible in Halo 5 and I think we have sprint and thruster to thank for that. I mean, just look at the new "Midship", fucking huge with no good way to set up at all thanks to sprint and being able to get anywhere, such as top mid, from anywhere. The maps have no flow, more of a sprint around the map CoD style. 

TS could work, but it would still be the worst gametype, because all the gametypes involve slaying and controlling power items in their own right regardless. It's just a watered down version of the rest.

As for Truth, it became one of the maps I'm not too fond of because of how big the lanes are. Not sure why it's scaled up this big anyway, it could have been 75% its current size with the current movement options and still not feel small. I've had a lot of proper setups on it, but it's just too big to ever get a solid spawn trap going. I think it was an oversight on 343's end, not unlike most Halo 4 maps were.

I don't think the other maps lack flow though. The last time I noticed it was in the beta and during the invitational, but now, people know where to expect spawns, when weapons are spawning and where to go to trap people. Truth just has a lot of weird nooks and crannies, gigantic bases and even bigger lanes. It's impossible to check/cover spawns without risking death because when you're not somewhere somewhat safe, it means you're straight up out in the open.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Where exactly are all the appologists? I saw one comment which was a bit questionable and that had -5 downvotes...

Could've sworn I saw more comments on there than that. lol Idk.

radar makes any battle with cylinders and whatnot like some stupid game. Opponent turns left, I run right, once he moved backwards I move the opposite direction lol. Nothing happens until our teammates kill us or we remember we can walk and radar won't show us

TS could work, but it would still be the worst gametype, because all the gametypes involve slaying and controlling power items in their own right regardless. It's just a watered down version of the rest.

Oh I know, I've always preferred objective games over Slayer, except for in CE obviously. 

I can think of a few examples of Slayer working pretty well in the new team-shoot era of Halo games though. Construct being one I remember well, there was a reason to move up and down the different levels for different things and you never saw a boring stand off. Warlock and Ivory Tower as well, both for different reasons but they still worked well. 

Edit: Compare those to Plaza Slayer or Regret Slayer? Shivers 

I am so disappointed we still have no social playlists, constant competitive puts lots of players off. I have been playing Black Ops all weekend and having a blast just because I can play with friends easily without having to worry about deranking and getting stomped by teams of 4 when playing solo. The saddest thing is that I think Halo 5 is genuinely a better game too

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

id say the game. is. not casual friendly at all because ita actually forcing players to be good at. aiming. im in plat 4 and dug. my way out from gold div... and my god, the quitters are still running rampant.

Oh I know, I've always preferred objective games over Slayer, except for in CE obviously. 

I can think of a few examples of Slayer working pretty well in the new team-shoot era of Halo games though. Construct being one I remember well, there was a reason to move up and down the different levels for different things and you never saw a boring stand off. Warlock and Ivory Tower as well, both for different reasons but they still worked well. 

Edit: Compare those to Plaza Slayer or Regret Slayer? Shivers 

I thought Construct was pretty dumb. The map literally rewarded you for losing control by giving you camo. If, as the leading team you went ahead, contested it and killed people bottom mid, you'd give them a spawn up top. It was a stupid scenario each time... and it came to a lot of standstills leading up to camo respawns. Personally, I didn't like it at all.

If we're going to have maps that come to standstills it should at least be a map with two snipers so that one person can clutch it for their team. Pit for example came to a standstill almost 9 times out of 10 in close high level games, but it also often was decided by someone clutching it for their team with the sniper, and it's always an awesome to watch/satisfying feeling.

Plaza is too segmented to make TS work. I matched Naded's team the other day and it came to a complete freeze near the end until OS spawned and it was impossible to move because it was 49-49 and the sniper is too easy to risk contesting it. Ended up losing of course. But not too long ago they added Strongholds on Plaza in Team Arena and I have to say it's the one gametype so far that manages to make the map work. Because of the way the scoring works, people are just always moving, so the segmentation isn't as much of a problem. 

Regret I don't have as much of a problem with as I do with Truth. The main thing holding it back are the power items on it. Fuel Rod is a bit lame, storm rifles just too strong on a map like that, OS gets burned a lot... I find myself using the Needler more than the rest.

I am so disappointed we still have no social playlists, constant competitive puts lots of players off. I have been playing Black Ops all weekend and having a blast just because I can play with friends easily without having to worry about deranking and getting stomped by teams of 4 when playing solo. The saddest thing is that I think Halo 5 is genuinely a better game too

Just make an alt. Derank your placement games. Boom, you have social.

-Josh Holmes

• Upvote (+1) 3

I thought Construct was pretty dumb. The map literally rewarded you for losing control by giving you camo. If, as the leading team you went ahead, contested it and killed people bottom mid, you'd give them a spawn up top. It was a stupid scenario each time... and it came to a lot of standstills leading up to camo respawns. Personally, I didn't like it at all.

It's not being rewarded for losing control, that's like saying you think the losing team is rewarded with camo/rockets on Prisoner. The whole point of power ups and power weapons is to get people moving and fighting over them.

I still preferred King on Construct, actually that was my favorite game mode in Halo 3. 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

It's not being rewarded for losing control, that's like saying you think the losing team is rewarded with camo/rockets on Prisoner. The whole point of power ups and power weapons is to get people moving and fighting over them.

I still preferred King on Construct, actually that was my favorite game mode in Halo 3. 

It's an entirely different scenario. Because of the segmentation of Construct, you have to drop all the way down to contest camo. On Prisoner you can just stay above and shoot from the top and hold them off for a while until you exhaust potential power weapons and or get enough kills to make it worth the risk of going for power items spawning down low. 

There's also the fact that trapping people at the bottom on Construct is stupidly easy by having one person camp each lift and another person rotating. It's impossible to make a proper push without somehow picking someone off (which is impossible with the dumb BR and awful grenades).

• Upvote (+1) 1

Imagine high level BTB players trying to find a match. Here we go again. 

The thing i am excited for is if i wan't to play by myself i get to match part's of 8. #Nopartyrestrictions