CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Funny that literally a few hours after the game came out I was already hating on it and getting negbanged and now it looks like more and more people are having the same opinion.  The honeymoon was real.

Yeh, I should have learned from last time to not say anything negative about the game in the 1st week 

I think as long as 343/MS do GOOD marketing and publicity for the content updates (BTB/REQs/DLC/etc) then we can consistently be in the Top 10 games every month.

There should be a trailer showing off/announcing BTB and the new REQs for example

Speaking of the REQ System... do you think we'll have to use that in BTB? I mean I literally don't enjoy the REQ System in Warzone. I prefer having everything on the map, racing to whatever it is your after like a tank or guass (sp?) hog, fighting for it and getting on with the battle. I don't what to hear someone in me ear saying "Level 3 REQs are available" so I can now have a ghost. I'm just not feeling it. But again, just my opinion.

ive already said this on here but i have to say it again...FFA in halo 5 is broken...its not only the worst FFA ie played in any halo game...but its the worst ive played in any shooter gamer...ever...its a joke..and quite frankly doesnt deserve to be in the rotation...it was obviously not play tested at all...fix the spawns and make it 6 players instead of 8 players and maybe then it will be playable...not good because there is absolutely nothing good about halo 5 FFA...but maybe it will be playable to the point where its not just something to make clips about how comically bad it is

I actually love the FFA.  I agree it can be really frustrating but the intensity is addictive to me.  Maybe some of the frustrations will be more obvious against better players...dunno (I placed platinum and played to onyx so far).  I'm probably taking a break for a little bit though...mainly because the playlist is kind of stressful and wears me out really quickly.

Are there even servers outside the US?

@@beamimpact looked up his ping and all of his games ran on US servers, when I play I do have a noticeable amount of lag/Hit detection problems most of the time (nothing at the scale of MCC but still..)

here i did a screenshot of all dedicated server locations in the MCC

some worthfull highlights:

- situation sucks a bit for AUS since both dedis are quite close to each other with the Singapore region being the next closest for northern/west AUS players

- Seattle has two clusters because theres also the XBL main server

- Europe has well placed dedi servers but for whatever reason euros are not allowed to play on them but instead play 95% of the time on the US servers

- US has the best dedi system which you probably already noticed when eg watching US streams, much better hitreg

- each circle is a regional datacenter featuring lots of dedicated servers

- overall its a bit shocking to see how thin the worldwide allocation of servers for a microsoft AAA game is

imo the main issue behind the network lags are that 343i no longer lets the players in a full lobby ping the servers and then picks the one with overall having the lowest ping to everyone which is how every other (dedicated server) game with matchmaking does it on consoles

but in H5 they went with a totally new system, what it does is the matchmaking creates a full lobby of players and then assigns a dedicated server to that lobby within the region lock cluster without testing the network quality that this server gives for everyone in the lobby

with region lock cluster i mean that EU/US is one cluster, Oceania is one and so on, eg right now for EU/US players you automatically are put into one of the 4 US servers sort of randomly despite the majority of players being EU based

this wouldnt happen if 343i went with a system that pings the servers and then choses which one will be used for the game

overall its just a pretty bad system that they went with which doesnt have any real benefit except for maybe less traffic load to the servers since theres no ping/connection quality test anymore and a slightly shorter matchmaking time

overall i doubt 343i willingly chose this system, for me it looks like a bug in their matchmaking network code

72IF16F.png

• Upvote (+1) 3

I see everyone obsessing with population and stream numbers when it has no affect on them on their ability to appreciate the game... and I think it's weird. An example I like to bring up in a situation like this is Old School RuneScape. The game has about 20-40k concurrent players at ANY given time, almost never has Twitch viewers above 10k on average, and still, many of its top content creators a comfortable living off of it. The top OSRS streamer is in fact often in the top 5 most concurrent viewers on all of Twitch. The game doesn't even have ANY sort of serious competitive tournaments, forget over a million dollars being thrown at it, unlike Halo. Above all, people still love the game a lot and grind it for HOURS and it's still getting a lot of dev hours put into it despite the small team dedicated to it.

I don't understand why people are making it sound like Halo 5 is in a bad spot in the slightest. If people want to make good content, there are also people are willing to watch it. You don't have to be pro to be entertaining. In fact, not being pro and focused on winning 24/7 makes it a lot easier to interact with a chat, being entertaining or create fun content because you can use your time for different things (h0lmb0m is a great example). On the other hand, if you're willing to just be competitive, there's a ton of competitive matches and tournaments to be had. If you're willing to just be casual on the game, Warzone is still awesome for the time being, and until Forge and proper social modes roll around, it's a decent alternative (the sooner the better though). I've had a lot of fun in that, and I thought it'd suck complete ass at first. I was so wrong.

What's making people so concerned about the numbers here? I don't understand.

Quick question why do i have to wait on social/forge/party restrictions etc... when i had it all at launch for halo 3 8 years ago?

Speaking of the REQ System... do you think we'll have to use that in BTB? I mean I literally don't enjoy the REQ System in Warzone. I prefer having everything on the map, racing to whatever it is your after like a tank or guass (sp?) hog, fighting for it and getting on with the battle. I don't what to hear someone in me ear saying "Level 3 REQs are available" so I can now have a ghost. I'm just not feeling it. But again, just my opinion.

Big Team Battle is an Arena gametype, not Warzone. REQs won't play any part.

I see everyone obsessing with population and stream numbers when it has no affect on them on their ability to appreciate the game... and I think it's weird. An example I like to bring up in a situation like this is Old School RuneScape. The game has about 20-40k concurrent players at ANY given time, almost never has Twitch viewers above 10k on average, and still, many of its top content creators a comfortable living off of it. The top OSRS streamer is in fact often in the top 5 most concurrent viewers on all of Twitch. The game doesn't even have ANY sort of serious competitive tournaments, forget over a million dollars being thrown at it, unlike Halo. Above all, people still love the game a lot and grind it for HOURS and it's still getting a lot of dev hours put into it despite the small team dedicated to it.

I don't understand why people are making it sound like Halo 5 is in a bad spot in the slightest. If people want to make good content, there are also people are willing to watch it. You don't have to be pro to be entertaining. In fact, not being pro and focused on winning 24/7 makes it a lot easier to interact with a chat, being entertaining or create fun content because you can use your time for different things (h0lmb0m is a great example). On the other hand, if you're willing to just be competitive, there's a ton of competitive matches and tournaments to be had. If you're willing to just be casual on the game, Warzone is still awesome for the time being, and until Forge and proper social modes roll around, it's a decent alternative (the sooner the better though). I've had a lot of fun in that, and I thought it'd suck complete ass at first. I was so wrong.

People are reading way too much into the numbers, but I do think they matter at least somewhat when we have a developer who wanted to really push this game for e-sports. The HCS will cost a lot to run, and theres been very few viewers in my opinion for a brand new AAA game that was designed to be spectator and e-sport friendly.

I don't people are making the greatest comparisons, but it just doesn't seem like a good sign.

Quick question why do i have to wait on social/forge/party restrictions etc... when i had it all at launch for halo 3 8 years ago?

I'm not 343 man, I have no clue. If it had been me, I would have waited until December to launch the game because it looks like that's when all the important features are coming, but I don't disagree with the logic of releasing just before CoD either.

Party restrictions is a whole different deal though. With how hard it can be to get matches at top champion, I can see it being even worse if party restrictions had to be factored in too.

I think if FFA was just fun and not as frustrating, solo people could just grind that until teammates get on or something. I think it's the best approach to the situation right now.

here i did a screenshot of all dedicated server locations in the MCC

some worthfull highlights:

- situation sucks a bit for AUS because both dedis are quite close to each other with the Singapore region being the next closest for northern/west AUS players

- Seattle has two clusters because theres also the XBL main server

- Europe has well placed dedi servers but for whatever reason euros are not allowed to play on them but instead play 95% of the time on the US servers

- US has the best dedi system which you probably already noticed when eg watching US streams, much better hitreg

- each circle is a regional datacenter featuring lots of dedicated servers

- overall its a bit shocking to see how thin the worldwide allocation of servers for a microsoft AAA game is

imo the main issue behind the network lags are that 343i no longer lets the players in a full lobby ping the servers and then picks the one with overall having the lowest ping to everyone which how every other (dedicated server) game with matchmaking does it on consoles

but in H5 they went with a totally new system, what it does is the matchmaking creates a full lobby of players and then assigns a dedicated server to that lobby within the region lock cluster without testing the network quality that this server gives for everyone in the lobby

with region lock cluster i mean that EU/US is one cluster, Oceania is one and so on, eg right now for EU/US players you automatically are put into one of the 4 US servers sort of randomly despite the majority of players being EU based

this wouldnt happen if 343i went with a system that pings the servers and then choses which one will be used for the game

overall its just a pretty bad system that they went with which doesnt have any real benefit except for maybe less traffic load to the servers since theres no ping/connection quality test anymore and a slightly shorter matchmaking time

overall i doubt 343i willingly chose this system, for me it looks like a bug in their matchmaking network code

72IF16F.png

thanks for the breakdown, maybe @@Sal1ent can stop by and talk about this issue now?

BTB is Classic. Vehicles and Weapons on Map.

random spawns

Have a timer alternating spawns every second. When a player enters an area, the timer alternates again, giving the illusion of "random".

Aside from that, spawning should already have some random elements.

People are reading way too much into the numbers, but I do think they matter at least somewhat when we have a developer who wanted to really push this game for e-sports. The HCS will cost a lot to run, and theres been very few viewers in my opinion for a brand new AAA game that was designed to be spectator and e-sport friendly.

I don't people are making the greatest comparisons, but it just doesn't seem like a good sign.

Yeah, devs want to push this game for esports, but where are the tournaments so far? HCS isn't until December, so I don't think the numbers mean much until then.

Pros aren't going to stream and spectate random matches instead of grinding the game. Casters aren't going to spectate over Matchmaking and comment it either. 

In fact, spectator mode still needs a lot of work. The delay, the inability to pick between different players fast, the reticle always looking off and the plain UI are all big issues that hold it back right now. If I was a tournament organizer, I'd still go with the old setup instead of resorting to spectator mode.

Have a timer alternating spawns every second. When a player enters an area, the timer alternates again, giving the illusion of "random".

Aside from that, spawning should already have some random elements.

I guess that's kinda similar.. I wouldn't know how to achieve this.

Yeah, devs want to push this game for esports, but where are the tournaments so far? HCS isn't until December, so I don't think the numbers mean much until then.

Pros aren't going to stream and spectate random matches instead of grinding the game. Casters aren't going to spectate over Matchmaking and comment it either. 

In fact, spectator mode still needs a lot of work. The delay, the inability to pick between different players fast, the reticle always looking off and the plain UI are all big issues that hold it back right now. If I was a tournament organizer, I'd still go with the old setup instead of resorting to spectator mode.

I certainly hope the HCS for Halo 5 reaches decent viewership. What was H2A's final's peak viewership? I'd we would get a good number of viewers for Halo's community, but it still lacks in comparison to about every single other game where a developer had focused on adding e-sport friendly features. I just see this game floating at 5k max and like 25k max for a HCS tournament.

What would you hope the first HCS events get in terms of viewership?

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/BigShow36/video/12651526

Pistol is easily the best starting weapon we've had since CE. It just is, even with the limited clip. That alone makes this game way more enjoyable for me than any recent Halo game that I can recall. Yeah, there are things that I'd love to see changed and definitely more maps and content wont hurt, but there is a lot of good potential here if we can get 343 to make a few adjustments.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I agree with your general sentiment but that is probably one of the worst comparisons to H5 possible. That game has so much more content and nostalgia attached to it that its staggering. It runs on a potato and hundreds of millions of accounts have been made for RS at some point and you can play that game and watch a stream at the same time easily vs the small install base H5 has and virtually no content and no good way to watch streams/do other things while playing it. Idk why that stuck out to me so quickly but its probably just because I've played both on and off when I'm bored for over 10 years. Definite apples to oranges.

What the fuck does any of this have to with anything? People are worried about population because we want people to be playing halo. I want my xbl friends to play halo. Im sick of hoping on and having 3 people of a list of over 100 people playing halo. It seriously detracts from my enjoyment of the game.

• Upvote (+1) 1

People are sheep, they want to be in the popular side.

Halo 5 is a brand new AAA multiplayer game that barely breaks 2k Twitch viewers.

That's ominous no matter how you want to doll it up. Do you think it's going to go UP from here?

"Brand new".

Halo is a pretty established franchise. The main negative thing about it on Twitch is that big chats are always garbage because the Halo community is nostalgia driven. It's impossible to spend one day in a big Halo Twitch chat without people bringing up the past games. People are legit nostalgia fiends and talk about either how Halo 5 sucks, how the previous games were better, or how Halo is dead... which in turn makes the streamer not care as much about the chat, resulting in decreased interaction across the board (which is ALREADY low because of the focus required in competitive matches).

Less interaction translates into new potential viewers joining in, attempting to talk to the streamer and not getting a response most of the time, which then makes them not come back. The viewership is held back because of how shitty the community can be for the most part. I love Halo, I've met a lot of amazing people thanks to it, but people who have nothing positive to say ever contribute more than they realize to the viewership being so bad. That's the toxicity holding it back.

At this point, people just need a change of attitude (which I doubt is going to happen), so the next best option is for pros to grow their viewership through YouTube and promote their streams to a fanbase grown from that. Not a lot of pros seem to be on that YouTube grind though, so... there's that.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Playing black ops 3 and then playing halo 5... The aiming in this game makes it straight up unplayable. It's like trying to walk in quicksand.

Pistol is easily the best starting weapon we've had since CE. It just is, even with the limited clip. That alone makes this game way more enjoyable for me than any recent Halo game that I can recall. Yeah, there are things that I'd love to see changed and definitely more maps and content wont hurt, but there is a lot of good potential here if we can get 343 to make a few adjustments.

surprised to hear this from you, but i agree 100%.

I agree with your general sentiment but that is probably one of the worst comparisons to H5 possible. That game has so much more content and nostalgia attached to it that its staggering. It runs on a potato and hundreds of millions of accounts have been made for RS at some point and you can play that game and watch a stream at the same time easily vs the small install base H5 has and virtually no content and no good way to watch streams/do other things while playing it. Idk why that stuck out to me so quickly but its probably just because I've played both on and off when I'm bored for over 10 years. Definite apples to oranges.

Playing and watching a stream at the same time is probably the main good point about this, but I don't think it's fair to say it has so much more content or nostalgia attached to it. People in the Halo community literally live in the past. It's not even funny.

The content I could agree with because Halo 5 is barebones for now, but usually, there's a shit ton of variety to Halo because of the sandbox shooter it always has been, people just don't make interesting things out of it, and that's on them.

What the fuck does any of this have to with anything? People are worried about population because we want people to be playing halo. I want my xbl friends to play halo. Im sick of hoping on and having 3 people of a list of over 100 people playing halo. It seriously detracts from my enjoyment of the game.

What the fuck does THIS have to do with stream or population numbers? Just search random Matchmaking and send some friend requests after games, it's not that hard. People will add back to run games if you're not an asshole, because no one likes searching random compared to having a coordinated team. It becomes VERY simple as soon as you stop expecting other people to do it and become the one to ask. Don't make it sound like it's impossible to find games and then add people from there.

Why do you still have 100 friends anyway, did you not add a single person since Xbox 360 or something? You do realize you can add 1k people before having to start thinking about the people you add right?

• Upvote (+1) 1

"Brand new".

Halo is a pretty established franchise. The main negative thing about it on Twitch is that big chats are always garbage because the Halo community is nostalgia driven. It's impossible to spend one day in a big Halo Twitch chat without people bringing up the past games. People are legit nostalgia fiends and talk about either how Halo 5 sucks, how the previous games were better, or how Halo is dead... which in turn makes the streamer not care as much about the chat, resulting in decreased interaction across the board (which is ALREADY low because of the focus required in competitive matches).

Less interaction translates into new potential viewers joining in, attempting to talk to the streamer and not getting a response most of the time, which then makes them not come back. The viewership is held back because of how shitty the community can be for the most part. I love Halo, I've met a lot of amazing people thanks to it, but people who have nothing positive to say ever contribute more than they realize to the viewership being so bad. That's the toxicity holding it back.

At this point, people just need a change of attitude (which I doubt is going to happen), so the next best option is for pros to grow their viewership through YouTube and promote their streams to a fanbase grown from that. Not a lot of pros seem to be on that YouTube grind though, so... there's that.

Not all 36,000 of Hearthstone's viewers are participating in the text chat, you know.

No one used thrusters, therefore, no skill was involved... /s