CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

100% false

there were 1m people playing H3 a year after release; there were 750k people playing Reach a year after release.  H4 was something like 20,000 peak concurrent (maybe 80k using H3/Reach calculations) a year after release

there were 1m people playing H3 a year after release; there were 750k people playing Reach a year after release.  H4 was something like 20,000 peak concurrent (maybe 80k using H3/Reach calculations) a year after release

Uh what? Reach was barely 50k a year in and bumped up to 100k after Christmas 2012 sales. Nowhere near 750k. 

It had pretty bad gameplay for people who were super serious and competitive. For casuals or semi-Casuals, the gameplay was absolutely the best. I don't mean to repeat known facts but you gotta remember 95% of people playing H3 in 2007 were casuals.

And that too me is how Halo 3 succeeded. It struck a perfect balance between casual and competitive gamers. 

I keep hearing people talk about how awful H3 gameplay was at launch. Specifics would be better, but yes, we can all agree that AR starts on Valhalla is not fun, but does anyone think that SMG starts on H2 Beaver Creek is actually better? Where once a team assumes map control, you can't get out of the base? 

H3 at launch with BR starts was fun throughout more of the skill set spectrum (ranks 1-50) than any other Halo game IMO. And luckily you actually had the option to vote for BR starts, something you couldn't do for Halo 2, and something that you apparently cannot do for Halo 5 for whatever reason. 

I stayed up until 8am the next day and got a C on a Biology test in college (that I didn't study for) because of Halo 3 after it launched. I bought Halo 5 a week after it came out, and have only played it for 2 days because I'm already tired of it's flaws.

• Upvote (+1) 2

There were 250,000 playing H3 the day before Reach came out. Reach dropped to like 50K one year after release. Never before in online Halo history did the population sink below 100K until Reach. 

Yes, H4 dropped to 30K 1 month post launch, that's horrible. But Reach started the nose dive. H4 just started hammering the nails in the coffin. 

Edit: H3 never had 1 million people 1 year after release. It was consistently 350K to 450K a year after release. The first week ranged from 500K - 1mill

Uh what? Reach was barely 50k a year in and bumped up to 100k after Christmas 2012 sales. Nowhere near 750k. 

You're talking about current users online and the guy claiming 750k is talking about 24h users (see akademik's post)

the enemies in arena and campaign running at a lower framerates than the rest of the game really messes with my head. do not like 

• Upvote (+1) 3

There were 250,000 playing H3 the day before Reach came out. Reach dropped to like 50K one year after release. Never before in online Halo history did the population sink below 100K until Reach. 

Yes, H4 dropped to 30K 1 month post launch, that's horrible. But Reach started the nose dive. H4 just started hammering the nails in the coffin. 

Edit: H3 never had 1 million people 1 year after release. It was consistently 350K to 450K a year after release. The first week ranged from 500K - 1mill

If you went on Bungie.net you could see how many unique users played H3 every 24 hours. I believe it said 1mill a majority of the time.

Edit:That was during 2008-2009. 2010 was a shit year for me and I never really kept track of Halo numbers.

It's not just 343 though, its every developer. It's coming to the point where a 3 year development cycle is too short.

There are other factors at work in this particular case however; as was described in the 'A Hero Reborn' ViDoc, much of the early years of Halo 5's development were spent re-building and iterating on Halo's engine, with one developer indicating that this (as one would expect) took time away from other areas of development. Perhaps for Halo 6, when there should be less engine work to complete (though depending on how the system works, perhaps some effort should be made to reconcile 60fps and split-screen), three years will be sufficient. If they do move to four years however, they would get them out of lock-step with Treyarch's release cycle, but who knows if the Xbox One has another four years?

I was actually looking at charts, and seeing that Halo 4 lost 200k within a week and a half of release was just disheartening. Halo 5 seems to be doing MUCH better though, even in the face of Call of Duty this year. Sure is lifting, mood wise.

If Halo 5 is in fact doing MUCH better, that'd be great, but what are you basing this on? As far as I know, there aren't any Halo 5 population counters, so it seems odd to on one hand lament the decline in Halo 4's population that we have specific data for, and on the other celebrate Halo 5's performance, comparing the two when (again, as far as I know) we aren't in a position to make that comparison.

What I want is a developer who knows what the hell they're doing. 

Am I being outrageous, here? 

Sorry, neither Riot or Valve will start working on Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If Halo 5 is in fact doing MUCH better, that'd be great, but what are you basing this on? As far as I know, there aren't any Halo 5 population counters, so it seems odd to on one hand lament the decline in Halo 4's population that we have specific data for, and on the other celebrate Halo 5's performance, comparing the two when (again, as far as I know) we aren't in a position to make that comparison.

I'm comparing it based on the Xbox Live games chart in comparison to the games surrounding it, on top of pre-order numbers for both to average out a population. There was a reason I also put "seems" in the sentence, given it's an assumption, albeit one with some evidence/footing.

see AkaDemic's post above ... but also, I should have provided a source, my bad on that one:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=709697

"Roughly a year after release, Halo 3 had a 1.1 million peak population day. Reach had a 900,000 peak population day after the same amount of time"

now, to be fair, this is total players per 24h period rather than concurrent players, so I understand the confusion; but it's still fair to say that Reach only slightly weakened the overall Halo population.  it's also worth keeping in mind that quite a few people kept playing H3 even after Reach came out, so this makes it even more clear to me that it was really H4 that was the problem.

I actually liked H4 (for social gameplay) ... what killed it for me was the maps, man, the effing maps.  I would start up Team Slayer and see "Adrift -- Abandon -- Solace" ten times in a row.  Maps seriously ruined H4 for me.  And honestly I'm already getting the same feeling with H5.  (Thank god for Forge, I guess?)

Sprint, thrust, clamber etc are all added to Halo in order to appeal more to the CoD generation presumably. Has anyone ever answered why all these feature of CoD make its way to the Halo universe but not lower TTK? Much of what is wrong with the game would work a lot better if we had an accuracy based weapon with a TTK along the line of H1 pistol. I just don't get why the game gets more and more features from CoD, but the TTK stays so high the game becomes more about running away then anything else.

• Upvote (+1) 2

nvm, already answered by someone else above

I'm comparing it based on the Xbox Live games chart in comparison to the games surrounding it, on top of pre-order numbers for both to average out a population. There was a reason I also put "seems" in the sentence, given it's an assumption, albeit one with some evidence/footing.

That would work better if the games surrounding it, e.g. Destiny had some population counter, but I haven't seen any. However, if we're making comparisons based on Xbox Live activity rankings, Halo 5 doesn't seem to be doing better than Halo 4 to me: http://majornelson.com/2012/11/28/live-activity-for-week-of-november-19/

Edit: @@TheIcePrincess I just noticed the mention of pre-order numbers. What figures are you using? As far as I'm aware there weren't any officially released pre-order numbers for Halo 5; I do hope that you're not using VGChartz, that site is notoriously unreliable.

CE 2001

H2 2004

H3 2007

HR 2010

H4 2012

H5 2015

Halo hasn't even been on a 4 year cycle.

Although I agree with you, if it takes them a fourth year to get the game completely made, I'm for it.

I'm down for a 4 year cycle but  this Console generation is gonna end at 2018 so...

The Fix for Halo 6 right now is for 343 industries be fully competent for atleast ONCE

• Upvote (+1) 1

Sprint, thrust, clamber etc are all added to Halo in order to appeal more to the CoD generation presumably. Has anyone ever answered why all these feature of CoD make its way to the Halo universe but not lower TTK? Much of what is wrong with the game would work a lot better if we had an accuracy based weapon with a TTK along the line of H1 pistol. I just don't get why the game gets more and more features from CoD, but the TTK stays so high the game becomes more about running away then anything else.

thrust was in halo first brah.

Has anyone ever answered why all these feature of CoD make its way to the Halo universe but not lower TTK?

Lore 

and I have seen more angry and more concern in running away from Firefights in Halo 4 and Reach than in Halo 5

• Upvote (+1) 1

The Fix for Halo 6 right now is for 343 industries be fully competent for atleast ONCE

Well, that won't happen.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Played the game a little and have to say I like the pistol, its very well balanced. Close combat takes skill with the option of thruster and more difficult aiming. If only sprint were removed and the maps not an overtextured clusterf the game has potential.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1