CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

That seems like a blanket over-generalization. Immersion is part of the experience, so taking out immersion takes out the 'fun' for a lot of people. 

For the game to be fun, the immersion has to be in there. Especially given how gaming is changing. You can't release Halo CE, Halo 2 or Halo 3 type of immersion in today's environment. Those games had plenty of things at that time that made it feel like you were in an alien world, but they don't hold up to today's standards. 

I don't want sprint anymore than the next person based off of how it was done in the previous two Halo's, and saying that people are 'expecting it' because of the previous two installments, is a not a good argument. However, immersion is something, and if that is truly the vision they are going for, then by all means, the game better be so god damn immersive that I get my Occulus Rift fix from it. 

Explain the MCC.

Again, he had no obligation to tell you anything, it's nice of him to even do that, besides, what did you expect him to say? He used the only (poor) argument possible, the truth is that 343 didn't add sprint for gameplay reasons, they added it for aesthetic and financial reasons, and since he can't say "we did it for the money" he went with what he could, you people wanted a response and you got it, that is all.

The fact that someone from 343 is listening is far more than expected, so instead of making comments that are pointless try to give something constructive, certain things are practically ignored because everyone is too busy circlejerking sprint, try to give advice like how to balance and tweak things, would do far more.

Sprint CANNOT, I will repeat, CANNOT BE BALANCED.

You are defending a poor argument. He even said that Microsoft are not calling shots.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 3

Explain the MCC.

What about it? It's hard to say anything about it because of the botched launch. 

• Downvote (-1) 1

That seems like a blanket over-generalization. Immersion is part of the experience, so taking out immersion takes out the 'fun' for a lot of people.

For the game to be fun, the immersion has to be in there. Especially given how gaming is changing. You can't release Halo CE, Halo 2 or Halo 3 type of immersion in today's environment. Those games had plenty of things at that time that made it feel like you were in an alien world, but they don't hold up to today's standards.

I don't want sprint anymore than the next person based off of how it was done in the previous two Halo's, and saying that people are 'expecting it' because of the previous two installments, is a not a good argument. However, immersion is something, and if that is truly the vision they are going for, then by all means, the game better be so god damn immersive that I get my Occulus Rift fix from it.

People play halo mainly to escape reality (this is true of most sci-fi/fantasy forms of entertainment) so to say that sprint makes it more immersive is a poor argument, sprinting just makes it feel like something you would do in the mornings not to mention other games, halo should feel weird and foreign not like your in the military.

Not to be a jerk but how did you go from this conclusion:

Thinking about it, H5's Sprint might actually add something to the meta. You gotta think about weather or not you want to build up that Sprint and then hit the guy, because you might get shot out of Sprint during the build up and then potentially die.

I might actually be swayed about Sprint for the first time in 4 years. Will have to play the game obviously, but it sound's excellent on paper.

(prepares for the neg nuke)

to this

Sprint CANNOT, I will repeat, CANNOT BE BALANCED

You are defending a poor argument. He even said that Microsoft are not calling shots.

Just curious if something changed your mind.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I was being so brutally optimistic that I basically accepted Sprint. 

Saw Josh Holme's comment, blew my mind in all of the wrong ways, decided to become #TeamNoSprint. 

I nearly turned into a Sprint loving Heretic, but I was swayed from the dark side from the heads of the dark side themselves; 343 Industries

Also Lemon helped, if you read that and still feel that H5G is going to be a good Halo game, you might be brain dead lol

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

to this

Just curious if something changed your mind.

This thread is beginning to look like something off r/circlejerk... "DAE Hate 343? DAE HATE SPRINT & REFUSE TO PLAY GAME?"

LOL at the 343 apologists negging you

I prefer the term skeptic thank you very much

• Upvote (+1) 1

Realism > Gameplay

The way I see it, he's trying to defend what it would feel like to be an empowered soldier in that setting in that setting, so I can somewhat understand the thought process...

However 343 appears to have picked lore immersion rather than game immersion. To me, this translated in "feeling like a spartan is more important than feeling what it's like to experience a Halo game". I think this is one big mistake that spurs from approaching it from a developer coming in the series, looking too far into the creative design rather than what the game has been historically up to this point. Anyone who's well-versed into Halo knows that Halo is a fantastic experience just for what it is. People would get together for CE lan parties not to experience what feeling a spartan is like, but to experience what Halo is like.

I'd argue that Halo feeling like Halo, it being defined a weird world where people just shoot one another within arena with no entrances or exits just because, is more important than Halo being a game based on the life on a spartan. This is the kind of stuff that should be left in the Campaign via a Noble 6 kind of plot. We don't need to experience the lore in MP. No one goes into MP and thinks far into the extended lore, because that's not what it's for. It's just what you're expected to do, similar to what @@MATCLAN said.

@@Sal1ent, this part is for you:

Wanting to expand on the lore when there's no room for it just causes extra confusion, and it feels forced and cluttered. It truly hit me when I first saw Breakout on Crossfire. It was the first time I asked "is there a reason for these guys to be running into the arena?" that's new and that's not how it's always been. Why is it different on this one map? Sprint falls in there too, it just feels forced and does add more problems than it contributes to the experience and if developers want a challenge... then sure go ahead I guess, but I feel like there's so much room for improvement on more significant and relevant levels than the MP lore, that it kind of feels wasted, on top of upsetting a fair group of people.

Once again, I somewhat understand where this is coming from, but it just doesn't make it easier for anyone, whether it's the players or the developers. Halo is just an experience on its own, and it's not some sort of reality show meshed with a video game where you experience the 1:1 replica of the life of a spartan. You just hop in MP, try to shoot people better than they can shoot you and prove your skill. That's as far as it goes.

If you try too hard to push for the "Spartan Experience", which I'm assuming is what is happening taking into consideration how much more human spartans are now, showing emotions, talking a shit ton, progressing through ranks and whatnot, then you will turn this into something similar Bungie tried to do with Destiny where you had to "Become Legend" and it felt like the most cliche and tackiest character growth experience... the problem is, Halo MP doesn't have much room for that. At best, it'll just be weird and out of place. In Halo, you experience your own growth as a player and it doesn't have to be represented through some extended lore or the spartans. Ranks are an great way of measuring it and that's all we need. 

Sometimes the simple things are a lot better, and you shouldn't look for problems where there aren't any. Once again, I want to reiterate people don't sit there and spend hours thinking "WHY" when launching up MP... people just go in there to kick some ass. I'm 99.9% sure no one has ever quit the game because the MP setting didn't make sense, and even if it did happen, it would be illogical to cater to people who quit the game based on lore where it wasn't meant to be, vs. the bigger crowd that understands the negative impacts of sprint on game balance and design.

I know all of this might stem from creative design and being pushed to come up with a new experience to the game without breaking it too much (I will however, point out sprint does that, no matter how balanced), always do keep in mind the true Halo experience is the best experience you could let people get a taste of - not the Spartan Experience -, and sprint has nothing to do with being a bad ass supersoldier anyway. The past Campaigns have made that clear. You're just this powerful dude who plows through thousands upon thousands of enemies while jogging (still running at a constant 25-30 MPH or something ridiculous w/o sprint) and destroys entire armies with a few guns. But once again, this is the stuff you should be worried about in Campaign, not MP. 

MP is built upon a small set of fundamentals that a game like Halo CE will make shine. If you have a chance, you should spend your free time on it, or at least watch top players go at it, and all of it might start making more sense to you.

Anyways, I think I'm done with the whole sprint talk from here on out, I think it's all been said at this point.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Saw Josh Holme's comment, blew my mind in all of the wrong ways, decided to become #TeamNoSprint.

I nearly turned into a Sprint loving Heretic, but I was swayed from the dark side from the heads of the dark side themselves; 343 Industries

I love seeing the innocence being stripped from someone, you would've went nuts if you were around when halo 4 came out.

I love seeing the innocent being stripped from someone, you would've went nuts if you were around when halo 4 came out.

I also love someone who constantly sits on a high horse, who acts like his opinions never change and probably has a sharp stick up his ass

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Also Lemon helped, if you read that and still feel that H5G is going to be a good Halo game, you might be brain dead lol

Thanks for actually responding.  I am viewing Guardians multiplayer as whole new game and not part of the Halo legacy and judging it on that basis (otherwise I would get very disappointed also).  Guardians is not going to adhere to what many of us think Halo is but it has the potential (slight if you are on the pessimistic side) to be a competitive shooter.  Honestly the circle jerk about sprint can become a bit much. We all know that it does not work in Halo well if at all but it is counterproductive to have page upon page complaining about its inclusion (especially when it is going to be in Guardians even with the posts).  Constructive feedback is needed and the only way Halo ever has the potential to be good again (since 343 appears to have a weird rational behind some of the decisions). 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Thanks for actually responding.  I am viewing Guardians multiplayer as whole new game and not part of the Halo legacy and judging it on that basis (otherwise I would get very disappointed also).  Guardians is not going to adhere to what many of us think Halo is but it has the potential (slight if you are on the pessimistic side) to be a competitive shooter.  Honestly the circle jerk about sprint can become a bit much. We all know that it does not work in Halo well if at all but it is counterproductive to have page upon page complaining about its inclusion (especially when it is going to be in Guardians even with the posts).  Constructive feedback is needed and the only way Halo ever has the potential to be good again (since 343 appears to have a weird rational behind some of the decisions). 

If it is going to be in Guardians, no matter what we say, then 343 clearly are bullshitting when they said that they would listen to us, as they even acknowledge that we despise Sprint, yet they cannot get it through their skulls that it BREAKS HALO.

Guardians will suck. Period.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 2

If this is in response to me than I feel truly honored.  

I thought you were being edgy but you were being genuine so I changed, I am glad you are honored

Now that it's pretty much confirmed sprint is a core aspect of H5 I hope they are looking at how it chaotically impacts OBJ gametypes in particular, and are looking at ways to alleviate this to a certain degree.

Flag juggling speed (if included) will have to be fast and I would recommend putting an additional second or two on OBJ respawn timers due to the unlimited sprint bumrush off spawn to the OBJ carrier.

I also love someone who constantly sits on a high horse, who acts like his opinions never change and probably has a sharp stick up his ass

What exactly did you expect halo 5 to be?

I thought you were being edgy but you were being genuine so I changed, I am glad you are honored

I do rekt people all the time in lore debates (knowledge of obscure characters and events helps in that regard) so I am used to the first response you made.   Team Beyond is honestly more accepting than most Halo communities (which comes as a bit of a surprise to me since I was led astray to believe that all you were horrible people). 

I do rekt people all the time in lore debates (knowledge of obscure characters and events helps in that regard) so I am used to the first response you made.   Team Beyond is honestly more accepting than most Halo communities (which comes as a bit of a surprise to me since I was led astray to believe that all you were horrible people). 

:(

If it is going to be in Guardians, no matter what we say, then 343 clearly are bullshitting when they said that they would listen to us, as they even acknowledge that we despise Sprint, yet they cannot get it through their skulls that it BREAKS HALO.

Guardians will suck. Period.

Did they say they'd let us design the whole game? No. The beta hasn't even started yet, we aren't the entire "us", and I'm sure they'll take some feedback (which we won't get from anti-sprint circle-jerkers like you) .

This game will already be 100x better than Reach or 4, with the potential to beat 2A/3. You're ignoring everything else that's not sprint and making a definitive statement... yeah there are no good games with sprint. Will it be true Halo? No. But I'm expecting a good competitive game.

• Upvote (+1) 10
  • Downvote (-1) 1

:(

Feel the same way also, great discussion happens here and I should have been active here instead of Waypoint (I spend a ton of time at Halo Archive on backend stuff similar to what you do and in general since I am massive lore nut. Which means I usually only keep up with one other community at a time) .  It was from a person who has major issues with Team Beyond and someone a staff member would know about.  

Did they say they'd let us design the whole game? No. The beta hasn't even started yet, we aren't the entire "us", and I'm sure they'll take some feedback (which we won't get from anti-sprint circle-jerkers like you) .

This game will already be 100x better than Reach or 4, with the potential to beat 2A/3. You're ignoring everything else that's not sprint and making a definitive statement... yeah there are no good games with sprint. Will it be true Halo? No. But I'm expecting a good competitive game.

I bet if 343 were to come out confirming 32v32 combat and campaign being DLC they would be up in arms, but if they got rid of Sprint they would buy it anyway, to chalk it up as sprint=halo is dad is just stupid and does nothing but make you sound like a whiner.

Sprint alone didn't kill halo, it was just one part of a larger problem facing the series.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Why should a spartan lower his gun in combat? Especially if you're a super soldier with heightened senses, even while sprinting, you should still be able to aim at your enemies right? If you're in combat as an actual spartan, I don't think sprinting around with your gun down is the best way to outwit your enemies.

I think being able to sprint with your gun up or actually having higher base speed makes me feel a lot more like a spartan than sprinting around like some normal soldier in COD or BF etc...

• Upvote (+1) 3

CoD changes crap when Nadeshot complains about stuff. Have him @Halo and tell them that sprint should go. BOOM-were saved. In all seriousness though it would be funny to see their response.

Anyone else think the "spartan chatter" shit during games is absolutely awful? It's just so... not Halo. But hey, CoD does it so I guess Halo has to.

• Upvote (+1) 3