CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Holy shit... no it doesn't. It says that some people - totaling 53,571 are playing. They don't have to be the same 53K the whole time.

Is everyone here unfamiliar with the concept of "man-hours"? That's what the 9million is - 9million MAN HOURS. If you know the man hours you can divide my "man" to get "hours" or "hours" to get "man."

Just because your workplace needs 2000 man hours a week - doesn't mean you have to work all of them, or even most of them. There's a thing called shifts. Think of it that way.

I dunno, considering how "most played" works, it seems like there would be a lot more than 53,571 at any given time.

I'll leave the math to you, I'm just saying the population can't be that low, even if it's just average and not peak.

It just doesn't make sense to me.

Pointless to see when it's a fixed amount.

It takes 4 wins to go up a level and 4 losses to go down a level. It does not matter who you go against.

More work needs to go into CSR, it's placements, it's progression, and it's calculation.

Wait really? Good Lord then matching people of different divisions is just stupid.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Wait really? Good Lord then matching people of different divisions is just stupid.

Yup, been paying close attention in multiple playlists. I count to 4 and I rank up, assuming I win every match in a tier of a division.

Honestly we just need Halo 2's system, replacing it with MMR instead. I really don't like how fixed the skill is in this game. Makes no sense and could very well be why placement matches can be so inaccurate.

I dunno, considering how "most played" works, it seems like there would be a lot more than 53,571 at any given time.

I'll leave the math to you, I'm just saying the population can't be that low, even if it's just average and not peak.

It just doesn't make sense to me.

Sure it can. The peak play times are probably the same for most titles. It only needs to out pace #2 by one player (exaggeration) to take spot #1.

But they aren't exactly the same for all titles - Europeans love Futbol (football? soccer?) and FIFA pulled into #1 very briefly one morning. I doubt that hit over 50K. No it probably jumped past when H5 was in a valley near or below 20K.

Just stating that concurrency isn't constant. There are peaks and valleys for all tiltes, both daily and weekly. It's only been a week but we're really happy with the numbers so far.

Will every base map in Halo 5 get a remix eventually? We already know The Rig and Fathom are getting remixes so i'm guessing Coliseum and Plaza will get them too. Also I want a lockout remake pls.

• Downvote (-1) 1

Sure it can. The peak play times are probably the same for most titles. It only needs to out pace #2 by one player (exaggeration) to take spot #1.

But they aren't exactly the same for all titles - Europeans love Futbol (football? soccer?) and FIFA pulled into #1 very briefly one morning. I doubt that hit over 50K. No it probably jumped past when H5 was in a valley near or below 20K.

Guess times have changed drastically.

I still remember hopping on 360 games and having hundreds of thousands of people on. 250,000 to even 700,000 sometimes depending on the day.

But 50k? I dunno. If true, I guess a lot of people moved on from consoles to PS4 or moved to PC or just quit gaming all together.

Feel like sharing some insight?! Eh? Eh?

Like an in-game player count?

All PS4/XB1 games have gotten rid of them. Odd.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Good try but your math is off by an order of magnitude.

@@Sal1ent,

You, I, and everyone else can do simple math. We can all see that his math was correct. We can all see that if his conclusion was a magnitude off, then the problem isn't his math, but the numbers he was handed.

I guess I am confused, what was your point?

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

EDIT: Apparently people think the game sold upwards of 6 million copies based on the 400 million the launch week brought in. If so, I would flaunt that number. That's a great attachment rate.

OK now what I'm about to post is straight conjecture - we can't know the real numbers for this.  That said, I'm still going to just throw out (imaginary) some figures.

Let's say 1 in 10 people getting Halo 5 didn't have the Xbone yet, so they buy the bundle.    $399 - or $339 not on a copy

Maybe 1 in 10 felt like getting the Locke or MC controller.                                                       $70 - or $70 not on a copy

Perhaps 1 in 10 bought the limited edition                                                                               $100 - or $40 not on a copy

So that's 10 copies of the game - $600 and $449 not on the game. that works out to only 57% of sales contributing to a copy of the game.

57% of $400,000,000 is $228,000,000.

Divide that by $60 to get 3.8million copies.  So by including hardware in the sales numbers and including Limited editions as well then install # will be much lower than 6million.

Besides 6million is like 1 out of ever 2 Xbox One owners buying it. Is half your friend list playing? (actually don't answer that, the number is skewed higher for Halo players - but for Destiny or Forza fans it's probably not near that)

AGAIN THIS IS ONLY CONJECTURE TO PROVE A POINT - @Sal1ent OR ANYONE ELSE, NO NEED TO CALL ME ON THE EXACT NUMBERS

• Upvote (+1) 2

Like an in-game player count?

All PS4/XB1 games have gotten rid of them. Odd.

Well, I am sure he knows the population and the statistics on those numbers.

Although I still wish for a population counter in a game sometime, but I know that won't happen because of reasons that devs make up.

The only population numbers we can get are from the Battlefield games.

Snip

Have fun talking to walls, I understand what you are saying and you are 100% correct. Seems it can't get through to people though.

Well, I am sure he knows the population and the statistics on those numbers.

Although I still wish for a population counter in a game sometime, but I know that won't happen because of reasons that devs make up.

Might have something to do with not wanting people discouraged by the numbers. Like how Halo 3 had 1,000,000+ in the first two weeks and sometimes even after, but because XB1 hasn't sold as well, there's more games on the market that people are sunk into, there's people playing 5 platforms not 3 etc. and it shows -let's say- 500k players people might be like "Lol Halo 3 had more!!!". Well yeah, it did, but the market had less FPS's then and games like League of Legends didn't exist and a host of other reasons.

Having said that, that might be a factor into it, but I don't think it's the reason.

Guess times have changed drastically.

I still remember hopping on 360 games and having hundreds of thousands of people on. 250,000 to even 700,000 sometimes depending on the day.

But 50k? I dunno. If true, I guess a lot of people moved on from consoles to PS4 or moved to PC or just quit gaming all together.

well reach and 3 didn't count players at 1 given moment, they counted unique players over a longer period of time.

Might have something to do with not wanting people discouraged by the numbers. Like how Halo 3 had 1,000,000+ in the first two weeks and sometimes even after, but because XB1 hasn't sold as well, there's more games on the market that people are sunk into, there's people playing 5 platforms not 3 etc. and it shows -let's say- 500k players people might be like "Lol Halo 3 had more!!!". Well yeah, it did, but the market had less FPS's then and games like League of Legends didn't exist and a host of other reasons.

Having said that, that might be a factor into it, but I don't think it's the reason.

Seems silly one would be discouraged by number, honestly.

I just have a hard time believe "most played" on XB1 means 50,000.

Did sa1lent ever confirm whether kill time is 4.5 or 5 seconds?

Kill time for what?

well reach and 3 didn't count players at 1 given moment, they counted unique players over a longer period of time.

I know this much, but there were a few games that counted every 5 minutes or so.

Seems silly one would be discouraged by number, honestly.

I just have a hard time believe "most played" on XB1 means 50,000.

He is saying on average. Maybe at some times it is 200,000, maybe as low as 20,000 at others. 50,000 is purely an average, and in no way indicates unique users or actual concurrent users.

He is saying on average. Maybe at some times it is 200,000, maybe as low as 20,000 at others. 50,000 is purely an average, and in no way indicates unique users or actual concurrent users.

That makes a bit more sense to me now when you put it like that. I honestly thought he was speaking about concurrent users at a constant pace.. Around 53k, all the time.

Some people go out... and drink... heavily, and get this, they want to play Halo after! Crazy right?

Some of my better memories of Halo 3 was playing social playlists with friends while completely hammered.

Sometimes you just wanna chill out and play without worrying about all that ranking shit.

Social playlists are crazy important in Halo to me.

This. Alcohol + screwing around with my real life scrub friends has been some of the most fun I've had in halo. Now 90% of the time I'll prefer ranked, but that doesn't mean there shouldn't be social playlists.

What was 343 thinking with spartan charges? They are so stupid.

they literally do no damage to the game, if anything makes sprint more offensive which is a good thing.
  • Upvote (+1) 1