CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Good try but your math is off by an order of magnitude.

Only if you're lying about the hours played.

9 million only fits into a week one way.

Edit: keep in mind I'm making no claim on unique users. Read my original post.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Meaning you have the real numbers. I'd like to know them, just to see. 

Also give them out after tomorrow as well. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Meaning you have the real numbers. I'd like to know them, just to see. 

Also give them out after tomorrow as well. 

It's typical Xbox spin on population numbers. They don't give out sales numbers, they lump in things like Xbox One sales and Xbox 360 sales, they obfuscate the success of everything they've done with the Xbox One since they know they lost the numbers battle to PS4.

That's not to say the Xbox is inferior to the PS4 in all ways, but the Xbox has been fighting an uphill battle. 343 releasing "hours played" is just a way for fans and would-be critics to see a vague number in the millions, rather than sales in the hundreds of thousands.

They just don't want to give Neogaf and other console war pits any ammo to run on because of the Xbox One install base of like, 10 million tops. They know the numbers, we will never see em.

EDIT: Apparently people think the game sold upwards of 6 million copies based on the 400 million the launch week brought in. If so, I would flaunt that number. That's a great attachment rate.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Ooh! Ooh! I play Dark Souls! My hand is up! Pick me, Teacher! Pick me!

This would have required a pretty insane overhaul on the way the campaign was originally laid out. I fucking love the idea because I fucking love both Dark Souls and Halo, but to do something like this in an effective way would mean graduating Halo's SP design from a linear path through which you fight pre-determined enemies for pre-determined amounts of time, and twist it into more of a Metriodvainia style affair.

Perhaps an entire level takes place in a single massive Forerunner crypt that the player is expected to spend an exorbitant amount of time in. If I remember correctly, some of the RE games had a similar mechanic, whereby players could control a random murderous ghoul in another player's game, only heightening the host's caution whenever he comes in contact with these low-level enemies, because any one of them could be controlled by an actual living person. Basically, it's a mechanic that goes well with a thick and brooding atmosphere. Otherwise, I feel that Souls' esque PvP would simply add another layer of randomness to a Campaign where the AI will only do its job depending on what mood its in.

Don't get me wrong - it sounds freaking amazing. I'd love it to pieces, but it's the sort of thing to file it away with my "Procedurally Generated Spartan Ops," "Invasion + Warzone + Halo Wars gametype," "Forerunner Telekinesis Powerup" and "Playing as a Precursor" ideas.

I see what you are saying but h5 did have a lot of sceanrios where you enter into a fairly large area with multiple winding pathways. I just finished swords of sanghelios and there were atleast two areas like this that could support a little pvevp action. It wouldnt be perfect of course because h5 wasnt designed for this but it could be possible moving forward.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's typical Xbox spin on population numbers. They don't give out sales numbers, they lump in things like Xbox One sales and Xbox 360 sales, they obfuscate the success of everything they've done with the Xbox One since they know they lost the numbers battle to PS4.

That's not to say the Xbox is inferior to the PS4 in all ways, but the Xbox has been fighting an uphill battle. 343 releasing "hours played" is just a way for fans and would-be critics to see a vague number in the millions, rather than sales in the hundreds of thousands.

They just don't want to give Neogaf and other console war pits any ammo to run on because of the Xbox One install base of like, 10 million tops. They know the numbers, we will never see em.

Oh yea, I'm aware. Population is about to drop heavily tomorrow too and they know it. 

Can't wait for modded zombie maps and modded everything on PC. I'm hoping for a CoD4 Pro Mod type deal when mod tools finally drop. 

An order of magnitude? Not likely.

If half a million people were on all the time... Then you would hit that 9mil in 18 hours.

Did everyone stop playing on day 2?

Or maybe you think I was talking unique users. In that case I believe you. Congrats on the half million UU.

Maybe I'd believe it if you guys weren't too scared to have population hidden.

And no, I'm not shitting on H5 -- just saying. 

• Upvote (+1) 6

Just stating that concurrency isn't constant. There are peaks and valleys for all tiltes, both daily and weekly. It's only been a week but we're really happy with the numbers so far.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Just stating that concurrency isn't constant. There are peaks and valleys for all tiltes, both daily and weekly. It's only been a week but we're really happy with the numbers so far.

Imagine the PC numbers.... wink wink 

What the fuck is the point of a ranking system if Diamond 1's match Champions and Onyx players? Like what the fuck are the parameters?

You are one division below them...

and if you win 5-10 matches in a row as a Diamond 1 player then obviously don't belong there, your background MMR will increase and put you up against Onyx even though you are still displayed as Diamond.

This also factors in if you are playing with teammates.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Actually it had 20k+ yesterday, so not remotely dead. Twitch numbers mean nothing, especially for console games.

this is what I was bringing up before thank you.

You are one division below them...

and if you win 5-10 matches in a row as a Diamond 1 player then obviously don't belong there, your background MMR will increase and put you up against Onyx even though you are still displayed as Diamond.

This also factors in if you are playing with teammates.

I just got ranked. But what happened to prioritizing your exact rank first and then branching out? There wasn't a single diamond player in that lobby. And one rank higher is still a lot just look at gold to platinum. If they're gonna have this complex system they should at least match you against people in your division. playing solo btw.

Nor did I claim it was. As I said last time - read my OP.

here it is:

What do we know numbers wise... 9million hours played in matchmaking in the first week and we know a week has 168 hours. So how many players had to play concurrently in the week to get that sum?

Simple math 9,000,000hrs played/168hrs = 53,571 players on (average) at any given time. This is a fact - they gave us the number and you can't change the number of hours in a week.

Take that 53,571 and compare it to the population distribution curve for a FPS (I used CoD numbers from Steam but I imagine the peak times for most FPS are similar - again all I'm using is the distribution curve, not comparing population) and you get a peak population of 102,000 and a low pop. of 20,000

So peak 102,000 and low 20,000 - but these are averages for the week. I can't know how many more people played on launch night or compare the weekends to the weekdays. But any higher population those times might have peaked would just drive a lower trough in the down times.

As for unique users? Can't ever say without more data.

I said AVERAGE peak of 102,00 based on distribution curves of peak for another FPS. Maybe you hit more peak on launch night or the weekend, sure - but that would subtract from the valleys.

And claiming you have more peak than some other FPS is no great victory either - all it would mean (based on the total hours played) is that Halo is 5 is special in that a lot of people get on at once... and then don't play for very long before getting off.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I just got ranked. But what happened to prioritizing your exact rank first and then branching out? There wasn't a single diamond player in that lobby. And one rank higher is still a lot just look at gold to platinum. If they're gonna have this complex system they should at least match you against people in your division. playing solo btw.

It's not a bad ranking system if it's properly weighted.

If a champion matches a diamond:

Diamond is expected to lose, champion is expected to win.

-Diamond can gain a lot of CSR upon winning, and lose a little upon losing

-Champion gains close to nothing upon winning, but will lose a lot upon losing.

I see that as a good way to quickly move people to their appropriate ranks rather than grind through divisions. Ideally, people should match people in their own ranks more often, but sometimes they should be given the chance to move up quickly against higher ranks.

Unfortunately, 343 is so scarred to let us know how the ranking system works they took out the progress bar. Instead of knowing what happens, we just have to guess and get frustrated.

Hell, we have 8 man free for alls and 9 second spawns in slayer, it's very possible this ranking system isn't working properly either.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Nor did I claim it was. As I said last time - read my OP.

here it is:

What do we know numbers wise... 9million hours played in matchmaking in the first week and we know a week has 168 hours. So how many players had to play concurrently in the week to get that sum?

Simple math 9,000,000hrs played/168hrs = 53,571 players on (average) at any given time. This is a fact - they gave us the number and you can't change the number of hours in a week.

Take that 53,571 and compare it to the population distribution curve for a FPS (I used CoD numbers from Steam but I imagine the peak times for most FPS are similar - again all I'm using is the distribution curve, not comparing population) and you get a peak population of 102,000 and a low pop. of 20,000

So peak 102,000 and low 20,000 - but these are averages for the week. I can't know how many more people played on launch night or compare the weekends to the weekdays. But any higher population those times might have peaked would just drive a lower trough in the down times.

As for unique users? Can't ever say without more data.

I said AVERAGE peak of 102,00 based on distribution curves of peak for another FPS. Maybe you hit more peak on launch night or the weekend, sure - but that would subtract from the valleys.

And claiming you have more peak than some other FPS is no great victory either - all it would mean (based on the total hours played) is that Halo is 5 is special in that a lot of people get on at once... and then don't play for very long before getting off.

If it's constantly #1 or #2 in Most Played, then wouldn't the low be much higher than 20,000? BF4 is on the opposite side of the most played at times and never goes more than 25,000 players. Even average.. eh I dunno, it's probably higher than 53k.

Something is way off here.

Your equation assumes that each of the 53,571 players are playing the entire 168 hours in the week non-stop.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's not a bad ranking system if it's properly weighted.

If a champion matches a diamond:

Diamond is expected to lose, champion is expected to win.

-Diamond can gain a lot of CSR upon winning, and lose a little upon losing

-Champion gains close to nothing upon winning, but will lose a lot upon losing.

I see that as a good way to quickly move people to their appropriate ranks rather than grind through divisions. Ideally, people should match people in their own ranks more often, but sometimes they should be given the chance to move up quickly against higher ranks.

Unfortunately, 343 is so scarred to let us know how the ranking system works they took out the progress bar. Instead of knowing what happens, we just have to guess and get frustrated.

Hell, we have 8 man free for alls and 9 second spawns in slayer, it's very possible this ranking system isn't working properly either.

I wish we could see how much we gain/lose after a win/loss. At least I would feel better seeing that I only lost a tiny bit for matching way higher players. But then again the most important thing is still PARTY RESTRICTIONS.

With an open API is it possible to find out the online population? Just curious. 

I wish we could see how much we gain/lose after a win/loss. At least I would feel better seeing that I only lost a tiny bit for matching way higher players. But then again the most important thing is still PARTY RESTRICTIONS.

Pointless to see when it's a fixed amount.

It takes 4 wins to go up a level and 4 losses to go down a level. It does not matter who you go against.

More work needs to go into CSR, it's placements, it's progression, and it's calculation.

If it's constantly #1 or #2 in Most Played, then wouldn't the low be much higher than 20,000? BF4 is on the opposite side of the most played at times and never goes more than 25,000 players. Even average.. eh I dunno, it's probably higher than 53k.

Something is way off here.

Your equation assumes that each of the 53,571 players are playing the entire 168 hours in the week non-stop.

Holy shit... no it doesn't. It says that some people - totaling 53,571 are playing. They don't have to be the same 53K the whole time.

Is everyone here unfamiliar with the concept of "man-hours"? That's what the 9million is - 9million MAN HOURS. If you know the man hours you can divide my "man" to get "hours" or "hours" to get "man."

Just because your workplace needs 2000 man hours a week - doesn't mean you have to work all of them, or even most of them. There's a thing called shifts. Think of it that way.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I think the argument though is that we shouldn't be in a position to make that decision.

they only had 3+ years dude

you think its easy creating forge? you think its easy including all the game types and features everyone expects at launch?

they only had 36+ months, cut them some slack 

they only made like a bajillion dollars dude, shits not easy 

• Upvote (+1) 2