CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Making aiming harder can not possibly make it easier for worse players.

It hasn't made it harder at every level. It made it harder for people that have a really strong muscle memory and feel for their aim. Bad players do not have this. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Orion is shit. The AR is way too good. The sniper and rail gun are too easy. The aiming sucks.

3 years to produce mediocrity

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Who needs Coachmayyne when you have jeromesix ;)

Ok, here's some more @@CoachMayyne for you.

What do we know numbers wise... 9million hours played in matchmaking in the first week and we know a week has 168 hours. So how many players had to play concurrently in the week to get that sum?

Simple math 9,000,000hrs played/168hrs = 53,571 players on (average) at any given time. This is a fact - they gave us the number and you can't change the number of hours in a week.

Take that 53,571 and compare it to the population distribution curve for a FPS (I used CoD numbers from Steam but I imagine the peak times for most FPS are similar - again all I'm using is the distribution curve, not comparing population) and you get a peak population of 102,000 and a low pop. of 20,000

So peak 102,000 and low 20,000 - but these are averages for the week. I can't know how many more people played on launch night or compare the weekends to the weekdays. But any higher population those times might have peaked would just drive a lower trough in the down times.

As for unique users? Can't ever say without more data.

• Upvote (+1) 4

What's everyone's issue with Regret? It and Truth are probably my favorites. It has weird sight lines but so does every single map in Halo 5, such is the result of Spartan abilities.

I'd rather play there than Plaza which really just seems like a map straight out of CoD.

Random post

If this "hunt" stuff continues in h5( I have not finished campaign) id love to see 343 implement some type of souls esque pvp into the campaign.

For those of you who dont play souls games, players can "invade" your game and try and kill you. A boss in demons souls was player controlled and a boss in dark souls 2 would spawn a player controlled helper.

I would love to see sections of the campaign incorporate this type of mechanic where a player controlled locke or fireteam osiris could "invade" your game to hunt you down. I can think of several sections of the h5 campaign where this could have been cool.

Ooh! Ooh! I play Dark Souls! My hand is up! Pick me, Teacher! Pick me!

This would have required a pretty insane overhaul on the way the campaign was originally laid out. I fucking love the idea because I fucking love both Dark Souls and Halo, but to do something like this in an effective way would mean graduating Halo's SP design from a linear path through which you fight pre-determined enemies for pre-determined amounts of time, and twist it into more of a Metriodvainia style affair.

Perhaps an entire level takes place in a single massive Forerunner crypt that the player is expected to spend an exorbitant amount of time in. If I remember correctly, some of the RE games had a similar mechanic, whereby players could control a random murderous ghoul in another player's game, only heightening the host's caution whenever he comes in contact with these low-level enemies, because any one of them could be controlled by an actual living person. Basically, it's a mechanic that goes well with a thick and brooding atmosphere. Otherwise, I feel that Souls' esque PvP would simply add another layer of randomness to a Campaign where the AI will only do its job depending on what mood its in.

Don't get me wrong - it sounds freaking amazing. I'd love it to pieces, but it's the sort of thing to file it away with my "Procedurally Generated Spartan Ops," "Invasion + Warzone + Halo Wars gametype," "Forerunner Telekinesis Powerup" and "Playing as a Precursor" ideas.

What exactly is wrong with the aiming? Is it harder in a bad way? Bad hard like "Lead Yur sh0tz br0" in Halo 3?

Aim smoothing, plus auto aim that slows things down incrementally as you get close to a player, not just when your reticle is on them.

Why are bad kids with platinum rank quitting before one of the teams even has a score of 15 and their whole team is intact?  Are they really hoping they will jump into a game where someone is worse than they are?  I swear every other game on here results in at least 1 person quitting.  What a joke!   

• Upvote (+1) 1

Aim smoothing, plus auto aim that slows things down incrementally as you get close to a player, not just when your reticle is on them.

Aim smoothing? Is that similar to what slightly present in Halo reach when it was hard to follow someone's head in a very close 1v1 because it felt like my gun was underwater?

What exactly is wrong with the aiming? Is it harder in a bad way? Bad hard like "Lead Yur sh0tz br0" in Halo 3?

It's not harder it's just random.

Try and draw a slow circle with your reticle and you end up drawing a squiggle.

• Upvote (+1) 1

This game has died much faster than Halo 4 in stream viewers.

didn't it just get like 20,000 views a few days ago or something?

The game released a few days ago.

actually it's been out for over a week, I'm talking 2 or 3 days ago.

I never understood this complaint when it comes to stream numbers.

What's happening in h5 right now? No tournaments and practically no personalities that are really that interesting. Obviously no numbers will be up because...there isn't anything going on. SF4 and any FG has the same thing, if there isn't a tournament or a celebrity in the FGC streaming, numbers are relatively low (Below 1k most of the time) and I don't think anyone here would say SF4 is considered dead when EVO had 2k+ entrants of players and numbers are only rising with SFV. However, when tournaments do come up, even regional tournaments, you usually get 20k at the lowest. Majors and whatnot get 70-80k and EVO gets 300k+ when you add in NicoNico. However, most of the time the stream numbers for FGs are very low. But when tournaments come up, numbers definitely rise.

Halo has no interesting personality (I guess Ninja but he's not someone I would like listening to considering how much he screams and whatnot. Nothing against him as a person though) and there is no tournaments coming up besides that IG Daytona one whihc was barely advertised anywhere and it's not even affiliated with HWC. So yeah, numbers will be really low when nothing is going on. Twitch, at least in my experience is mainly computer games (Hearthstone, Dota, LoL and CSGO) and interesting personalities (IDK any cuz I don't watch Twitch unless a major is going on) with a bunch of Minecraft children. Console games on Twitch aren't usually at the top unless an event is going on (SF4, UMvC3  and CoD are the ones that come to the top of my head that are console games). 

IIRC I think H5 is still #1 on the boards for XBL activity, right? Game doesn't seem dead to me. If qualifying events are getting really low numbers, then yeah we have an issue then when it comes to viewership. Outside of that, I wouldn't really be tripping

• Upvote (+1) 1

Actually it had 20k+ yesterday, so not remotely dead. Twitch numbers mean nothing, especially for console games.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Ok, here's some more @@CoachMayyne for you.

What do we know numbers wise... 9million hours played in matchmaking in the first week and we know a week has 168 hours. So how many players had to play concurrently in the week to get that sum?

Simple math 9,000,000hrs played/168hrs = 53,571 players on (average) at any given time. This is a fact - they gave us the number and you can't change the number of hours in a week.

Take that 53,571 and compare it to the population distribution curve for a FPS (I used CoD numbers from Steam but I imagine the peak times for most FPS are similar - again all I'm using is the distribution curve, not comparing population) and you get a peak population of 102,000 and a low pop. of 20,000

So peak 102,000 and low 20,000 - but these are averages for the week. I can't know how many more people played on launch night or compare the weekends to the weekdays. But any higher population those times might have peaked would just drive a lower trough in the down times.

As for unique users? Can't ever say without more data.

I'm no mathlete, but to my understanding your math is only showing that 53,571 players, if they played all 168 hours in the first week, would have accounted for the 9 million hours played. This doesn't seem to be a reliable way to arrive at an estimate of average concurrent players. Isn't it much more reasonable to make an assumption about the average player's time played being something like, for example, 4 hours a day throughout the first week? If you use that as your assumption, the average player would have played 28 hours in this first week. That means there would have been 321,430 unique players in the first week (9,000,000 hours total for the week / 28 estimated hours per player for the week). If the average player only played 14 hours for the week, the unique player number would double to over 600,000.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Game is unplayable searching solo. Needs mm restrictions desperately. Anyone wanting to run games add me. partytimeX0

I just got Ryanoob, Arkanum, and Shooter WFX on my team. Solo matchmaking is easy.

If I believed in Twitch chat emotes, this is where I would use one to indicate sarcasm.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I'm no mathlete, but to my understanding your math is only showing that 53,571 players, if they played all 168 hours in the first week, would have accounted for the 9 million hours played. This doesn't seem to be a reliable way to arrive at an estimate of average concurrent players. Isn't it much more reasonable to make an assumption about the average player's time played being something like, for example, 4 hours a day throughout the first week? If you use that as your assumption, the average player would have played 28 hours in this first week. That means there would have been 321,430 unique players in the first week (9,000,000 hours total for the week / 28 estimated hours per player for the week). If the average player only played 14 hours for the week, the unique player number would double to over 600,000.

Bro you are using all kinds of assumptions. And I said I can't find unique users.

Given the facts that 9mil hours played and 168 hours in a week - we know for a FACT that 53,571 average concurrent. There's no thinking needed for this. It's simple division.

If I have a project the requires 100 man-hours and I need it done in 20 hours how many concurrent workers do I need?

5 - it's easy. Doesn't mean they are the same 5 dudes the whole 20 hours. Could be 10 guys, but on average the will always be 5 working at once.

You're entire conjecture is based on nothing provable and doesn't help anything.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 3

Good try but your math is off by an order of magnitude.

Feel like sharing some insight?! Eh? Eh?