CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Wow... those are some weak ass numbers. Embarrassing that they even put them out.

7 million matches played in a week? Reach did 70+ million in 6 days.

9 million multiplayer hours in a week... Reach had 52 million in 6 days.

I wish I could find stats for week one of Halo 2 but the best I could find was lifetime averages.

Halo 2 averaged 83 million games per month. Halo 5 is on place to get 28 million if it never drops any population.

The Halo 3 and Reach numbers are disgusting, it's not fair to mention them here. Suffice it to say Halo 5 isn't even in the same ballpark.

Claiming this is the biggest Halo launch ever is like saying the Halo 5 pistol is a great utility weapon. Shit man, they had to include hardware in the sales figures. Every Halo controller they sold is one copy worth of $ and every console bundle of six copies worth of $.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's actually the smallest Halo launch ever. (Except CE)

Good thing that logical people don't compare games based on sale numbers. Halo Reach would have been the best game in the Halo series if that was the case. Fortunately, we understand there are other factors in play here.

"Obviously we'd all love to throw Infection or Grifball there but in terms of what is possible with Halo 5 right now, what would you actually put there?"

Oh wow, I was in a hurry while reading your post and got it completely backwards, my bad

i know im in the minority here, but im addicted to want to reach plat, then diamond, and hopefully onyx one day in arena slayer. i dunno guys, it just gives me starcraft 2 vibe... been wanting this for a very long time with halo.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Wow... those are some weak ass numbers. Embarrassing that they even put them out.

7 million matches played in a week? Reach did 70+ million in 6 days.

9 million multiplayer hours in a week... Reach had 52 million in 6 days.

I wish I could find stats for week one of Halo 2 but the best I could find was lifetime averages.

Halo 2 averaged 83 million games per month. Halo 5 is on place to get 28 million if it never drops any population.

The Halo 3 and Reach numbers are disgusting, it's not fair to mention them here. Suffice it to say Halo 5 isn't even in the same ballpark.

Claiming this is the biggest Halo launch ever is like saying the Halo 5 pistol is a great utility weapon. Shit man, they had to include hardware in the sales figures. Every Halo controller they sold is one copy worth of $ and every console bundle of six copies worth of $.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's actually the smallest Halo launch ever. (Except CE)

It's the same thing they pulled with the Halo 5 Beta. They really made it seem like a success, but comparing it to Halo 3's Beta puts it into perspective:

http://i.imgur.com/7fHs3xj.jpg

TL;DR: the average H5 Beta player played for 2.5 hours compared to Halo 3's 14.5h.

• Upvote (+1) 6

The fact that Josh Holmes thinks that we should just "not care about the rank and just play" as a solution shows how clueless he is to this problem. It's not that simple why the hell can't we get at least 1 or 2 social playlists. Why force ranked Arena on everyone? I just don't get it anymore.

I agree. Something is wrong when the developer is suggesting to play on a smurf account to combat the problem. 

However, Bravo has said on Reddit they're interested in unranked playlists. I bet they'll be added as it's a very loud request.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The numbers are misrepresented by bad wording. Each game has a minimum of 8 players and possibly 24 if it includes Warzone. So multiply the games played by 8 (at the least) and then divide by total players for an average per player statistic. There is still an issue with that, though, as some people probably only played campaign for the first few days and are just now diving into multiplayer. Numbers will never reach the levels they were at during Halo's peak. Once Modern Warfare came out we lost a chunk of players to COD because it's much more accessible and has less complex mechanics (anyone can shoot in COD). We also had the fiasco known as Halo: Reach. So many things happen in those 2-3 years so seeing the difference in numbers between now and then shouldn't be surprising. I feel like the population will inevitably decrease slowly but with all the promised content and the huge success of REQ packs I think we may settle in at a much higher player base than Halo 4. It seems they can add REQ cards and other content on the fly and if they make sure they release the content often the numbers should stay healthy. Of course I'm being hopeful. All I want is for Halo to succeed even if that means being an overly optimistic fan who wears blinders and crosses his fingers.

It's the same thing they pulled with the Halo 5 Beta. They really made it seem like a success, but comparing it to Halo 3's Beta puts it into perspective:

http://i.imgur.com/7fHs3xj.jpg

TL;DR: the average H5 Beta player played for 2.5 hours compared to Halo 3's 14.5h.

My question is what were the Halo 2 charts compared to 3.

I don't think Bungie posted them in the same way they did for Halo 3 and Reach. 

Someone had mentioned around 83 million games per month. Not sure where they got the number but it would make sense. 

Here's what halo 6 would look like in terms of features if it offered the same value as blops3:

Campaign (with 4 player coop)

Firefight (4 players)

Spartan ops 2.0 (4 players)

Arena/warzone mp (with ranked/social play)

Forge at launch with fileshare

Theater for mp/campaign

Fully functional and much improved spectator mode

Is this too much too ask?

Would also be nice to see a custom games browser.

I feel like bungie always surpassed every other game in terms of features and value with 3 and reach. You always felt spoiled with content for $60. Now treyarch is blowing the competition away.

Here's hoping the foundation is built and out of the way and halo 6 will give us this again.

@@Sal1ent

I hope you understand that with this post I'm not trying to bring you or your studios hard work down. I get that, realistically, Treyarch is a much more veteran studio and has a lot of experience and tech already, but I just want you guys to understand how important the value of previous Halo games meant to us. I know SpOps didn't pan out so well in 4, but it had potential. Add in REQs and daily "req" challenges (similar to Reach) for SpOps missions and you have a good feedback loop. 

We just want that good ole Halo value. Hopefully you guys can deliver now that the tech is in place.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Here's what halo 6 would look like in terms of features if it offered the same value as blops3:

Firefight (4 players)

Theater for mp/campaign

I feel like bungie always surpassed every other game in terms of features and value with 3 and reach. You always felt spoiled with content for $60. Now treyarch is blowing the competition away.

Here's hoping the foundation is built and out of the way and halo 6 will give us this again.

Yes thats way too much to ask for 343, and that with everything working????  :holmes:

Yes thats way too much to ask for 343, and that with everything working????  :holmes:

To be fair Halo 5 has been very impressive from a technical standpoint. Sure, theater and spectator is a bit behind, but it's a start. The matchmaking and dedicated servers are absolutely, 100% the best I've played on. 

They have some talented people there, they just need to put that grind on and crank out some features for Halo 6. I mean, look at firefight. They practically could have it in Halo 5:

- Spawn tons of AI w/ 4-12 people on Warzone maps.

- Round based scoring

- Every 10 levels spawn a legendary boss (already in the game)

Techs there, just need to capitalize on it.

To be fair Halo 5 has been very impressive from a technical standpoint. Sure, theater and spectator is a bit behind, but it's a start. The matchmaking and dedicated servers are absolutely, 100% the best I've played on. 

They have some talented people there, they just need to put that grind on and crank out some features for Halo 6. I mean, look at firefight. They practically could have it in Halo 5:

- Spawn tons of AI w/ 4-12 people on Warzone maps.

- Round based scoring

- Every 10 levels spawn a legendary boss (already in the game)

Techs there, just need to capitalize on it.

As long as they re-work the AI. Right now, they're just huge bullet sponges in Warzone who kill you way too fast. I think the Baron on ARC kills you in one plasma shot.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It doesn't matter if it was an accident, it doesn't mean we can't replicate the same thing again, it's right there just do it. How it was made literally means nothing.

It's not so much an issue of properly replicating it than it is a d1ck measuring contest between the originators of Halo CE and all the programmers for Bungie/343. Seropian took every good programmer with him that made halo CE when he left Bungie.

Frank Oconnor and 343 know that if they go back to a tried and true formula in Halo CE, that their "outside of the box" thinking was completely unnecessary, and not needed and that really all that was needed was halo CE with minor tweaks to the multiplayer after each new launch and a campaign story that appeases the masses. Anything with halo on the title is going to sell, and they realized this hence the decisions that were made regarding each and every launch.

There comes a time when you just need to suck in your pride and admit that you were wrong, and 343 has yet to do that.

• Upvote (+1) 5

As long as they re-work the AI. Right now, they're just huge bullet sponges in Warzone who kill you way too fast. I think the Baron on ARC kills you in one plasma shot.

Oh, absolutely. 

I think it SHOULD be easy to do. I assume they just cranked up the health and damage output. Just tune and scale it to 4-12 players and should be good to go. 

And yes, Baron is such a dick. 

Not sure why this was getting negged. Competitive BTB players have been wanting a ranked playlist for upwards of 6 years now. 

BTB can be just as competitive as 4v4's. 

Yeah, I don't get it. It's been 10 years since we have had a good ranked BTB playlist, BTB Skirmish in Halo 2. Hard to understand why people here are advocating for social when we already have Warzone and Warzone Assault. Just play those if you want to screw around, go AFK, or quit after going 0 and 1. Social playlists suck for many reasons. They always have and they always will. I've already endured years of social BS with Halo 3 Big Team and Halo Reach. Guests, downies, and quitters galore. I'm bored of stomping these kids into oblivion and a ranked BTB playlist with visible ranks is long overdue.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

H5 has been #1 on XBl every time i've looked except for once when it was #2. It seems to be doing ok.

I don't think Bungie posted them in the same way they did for Halo 3 and Reach.

Someone had mentioned around 83 million games per month. Not sure where they got the number but it would make sense.

Well I'm betting that Halo 2 would have significantly more players. Look at CE on the PC. There are hundreds playing on it to this day. I don't think 3 would be like that. We all like to show that 343s Halos are some of the worst. But comparing them to an even worse game isn't better.

Firefight (4 players)

Theater for mp/campaign

Firefight AND spartan ops? I don't really see the need.

Yeah, I don't get it. It's been 10 years since we have had a good ranked BTB playlist, BTB Skirmish in Halo 2. Hard to understand why people here are advocating for social when we already have Warzone and Warzone Assault. Just play those if you want to screw around, go AFK, or quit after going 0 and 1. Social playlists suck for many reasons. They always have and they always will. I've already endured years of social BS with Halo 3 Big Team and Halo Reach. Guests, downies, and quitters galore. I'm bored of stomping these kids into oblivion and a ranked BTB playlist with visible ranks is long overdue.

Why is it so hard for you to understand that some people want to play normal arena gametypes, just unranked?

Im kind of split on whether BTB should be ranked or unranked. In Reach I played a lot of BTB and played with the best group of BTB kids at the time so I understand that it can be very competitive. But at the same time I feel as though the amount of people who play BTB competitively is so low(especially since 4v4 is good in this game) that it would probably be better suited to social.

• Upvote (+1) 1

H5 has been #1 on XBl every time i've looked except for once when it was #2. It seems to be doing ok.

What else does it have to compete with atm?

We'll see how it fairs once the new cod/other new releases come out, that will be the real test.

Ok so upon further investigation it looks like that 83 million a month for Halo 2 counts player-games. So that needs to be divided by 8.

Works out to 2.6 million games a week. But the important part of that stat is that it's an average over 5 1/2 years.

Seeing as Halo 3 came out 3 years later I'm sure that number is very front-heavy.

Halo 5 would have to maintain launch week numbers for two straight years to hit the game total of Halo 2. Don't see that happening.

Firefight AND spartan ops? I don't really see the need.

I don't see the need for traditional Zombies AND a Zombie campaign in BLOPS3 but they did. 

More options is more options. It keeps people playing. 

That's because star wars and Fallout 4 haven't come out yet.

• Upvote (+1) 1

One thing is for certain which is not debatable is that Hardy Lebel was a superior map designer relative to any employee that's ever worked for 343.  

.snip

It must be so frustrating working at 343 with all those latest software tools at their disposal to be outdone by a guy like Hardy who did it 17 years ago.   Hell, the homemade maps on halo 1.5 LAN edition are better maps than anything in Halo 5.  Such is the difference between careful, well thought out map design and throwing a piece of shit at the wall with pretty graphics and hoping it will stick.  

No one should be giving 343 a pass on a game that is being out done by a game made 17 years ago.  Saying that "the game was better by sheer luck" is not an excuse.

Beethoven w/ a 1700's era crap piano still outdoes almost every modern musician w/ the best musical tech in history. I'll take one genius over a roomful of mediocre any day.

Many modern games feel like creations by committee - based off of reams of survey data and market data - they all sort of run together into a mash of blandness.