CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Just stop. We already have a social BTB playlist. It's call Warzone. Let us real BTB players have a ranked BTB playlist with visible ranks.

Not sure why this was getting negged. Competitive BTB players have been wanting a ranked playlist for upwards of 6 years now. 

BTB can be just as competitive as 4v4's. 

• Upvote (+1) 5

I'm wondering if fifa and fallout knock it even lower. Time will tell.

Forgot about fallout and destiny as well.

So top 5 is looking difficult. Not that I really care, will still be playing the game either way.

I'm gonna take a break from all this bug and suggestion collecting. It may be super helpful to people, but I need a break. They're driving me ragged. It's Halo 5 time.

Forgot about fallout and destiny as well.

So top 5 is looking difficult. Not that I really care, will still be playing the game either way.

It would be best for the HCS scene if it was restored to its #1 spot above COD but I really don't see it having the legs for that.

You're right it doesn't effect me personally but it would still be nice to see it happen. I know it's wishful thinking.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Nading power weapons - that is a perfect example of accidental design.  Not purposeful design intents of competitive gameplay.

Thats what you took from my post? An intentional mechanic ended up being exploited by competitive players and you call it an accident? He said it was always intentional to be able to grenade weapons. What he didn't expect players to do is find multiple points from multiple spawns that was capable of grenading weapons exactly into your hands.

I've never been terribly sure why people were in such a huff to prove that H1 wasn't an accident. I mean, it's not like we win anything if that's the case.

Certain things were accidents, certain things were intentional. I'm not too sure why this matters so much when it sounds like you have no real intention of listening to the podcasts or even reaching out to the guy. I guess you've been too scorned by bungie/343 employees that you'd rather not even reach out to the guy before wanting to understand his intentions. That's pretty lame.

If you're trying to make the point that the depth of the meta, things like random spawns and exploiting quick camo then sure those could be happy accidents. He said there were different fade numbers for the weapons on camo which was intentional, but the quick camo switch was an exploit found by players. If you're talking about the sandbox, map design, or way the weapons were laid out on the map then you're mistaken. So a little clarification might help the point you are trying to make. Much like the confusion for your 60fps post.

His stuff is really cool and insightful. I'm sure since he isn't a part of a major studio he's able to answer and do these things, but there's only a handful of developers I've been able to reach out to that welcome insightful and deep questions.. I mean that was the whole point of his web seminar is to explain whatever people wanted to know.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I've never been terribly sure why people were in such a huff to prove that H1 wasn't an accident. I mean, it's not like we win anything if that's the case.

I only care for hardy to be remembered as a genius and also the kids who say CE wasn't built with competitive play in mind need to be shot down. They think games should be designed for casual play only and that CE was an accident that was never intended to be competitive. They will partially use this as justification for marginalizing the competitive community.

I'm really interested to see where this game is at on the most played games list about a month from now.

#4?

Probably top 5  or top 10 for sure, Blops3, Destiny, FIFA, Fallout and Battlefront will be holding strong for the months to come.

If I was 343, I would make a feature where you could make a team of 8 for ranked big team battle. 8 people and 2 subs. Other than that, the roster can't change.

Instead of each player having a rank, the team itself will be ranked.

Idk, I think small features like that would add years to Halo 5's lifespan.

If I was 343 I would make a feature where you could make a team of 8 for ranked big team battle. 8 people and 2 subs. Other than that, the roster can't change.

Instead of each player having a rank, the team itself will be ranked.

Idk, I think small features like that would add years to Halo 5's lifespan.

Black Ops 2 having per-team ranks was great. It allowed me to play with anyone and still get placed properly. Sucks going in with Gold players and going on a losing streak when I match a bunch of Plats and Onyx.

Certain things were accidents, certain things were intentional. I'm not too sure why this matters so much when it sounds like you have no real intention of listening to the podcasts or even reaching out to the guy. I guess you've been too scorned by bungie/343 employees that you'd rather not even reach out to the guy before wanting to understand his intentions. That's pretty lame.

If you're trying to make the point that the depth of the meta, things like random spawns and exploiting quick camo then sure those could be happy accidents. He said there were different fade numbers for the weapons on camo which was intentional, but the quick camo switch was an exploit found by players. If you're talking about the sandbox, map design, or way the weapons were laid out on the map then you're mistaken. So a little clarification might help the point you are trying to make. Much like the confusion for your 60fps post.

His stuff is really cool and insightful. I'm sure since he isn't a part of a major studio he's able to answer and do these things, but there's only a handful of developers I've been able to reach out to that welcome insightful and deep questions.. I mean that was the whole point of his web seminar is to explain whatever people wanted to know.

Literally yesterday I emphatically supported a tweet by him asking everyone, "do you want me to do a thing about map design", so I'm not really sure what you're suggesting.

Pretty much. I imagine this will be a big issue for forgers to learn when it releases in December.

Wait, so Forge didn't come at the Launch? This is a serious question because I haven't kept up with H5 the past few months.

Wait, so Forge didn't come at the Launch? This is a serious question because I haven't kept up with H5 the past few months.

Forge is coming in December and is hugely improved over past iterations.

I just realized it's still bad but not as bad as you think.

You need to multiply games played by players in the game. It works out to 20 games in a week. (Assuming even split between Arena and Warzone)

Oh yeah good point, awful math from moi

Forge is coming in December and is hugely improved over past iterations.

Wow. What happened to releasing a game after it's been completed? No Forge. No BTB or BTB Maps. Seriously. Didn't they learn from MCC that they should complete a game before they launch. This one might at work, and I know not everyone cares about Forge, but vast improvements or not, that's still sad they can't release the game with all it's components.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Wow. What happened to releasing a game after it's been completed? No Forge. No BTB or BTB Maps. Seriously. Didn't they learn from MCC that they should complete a game before they launch. This one might at work, and I know not everyone cares about Forge, but vast improvements or not, that's still sad they can't release the game with all it's components.

wheelchair-contextualize-universe.jpg  #SensibleSustain

They make the same money regardless lol. All it boils down to wit 343 Halo.

I'd rather have the game now than wait an extra two months for forge.

To each their own.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

"Hugely improved" forge yet we get Orion. Come on 343, we can even get out of that map easily, forge must be great if you can't even get a killzone down.

They better be quick about adding better forge maps into rotation.  

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 3

Literally yesterday I emphatically supported a tweet by him asking everyone, "do you want me to do a thing about map design", so I'm not really sure what you're suggesting.

I think it's pretty easy to see that I based my post off of this post by you.

I doubt he's going to write an essay for me based off a Twitter request.

Unless I'm missing anything, I had said you should message him these questions about competitive merit and intention yourself. I also suggested to watch his seminars. You've been pretty vague but you didn't have an answer to this besides doubt that he would even answer you. That's fine if you really believe he won't ever get back to you, but it just looks a bit silly to me to watch you put your foot down on something like this without even an attempt at digging for yourself. Maybe send him a message or e-mail instead of a empathetic retweet. He takes a lot of pride in the fact that skilled players have taken his game to new extremes and loved learning from us as much as we learn from him.

Like, even the slightest bit of clarification in what you mean would make it incredibly clear for people to understand what you are saying. 

No big deal though. Hardy's web seminars show he put a lot of thought into this game with the very little amount of time he had to do it. I'm maybe a bit more nerdy when it comes to poking the developers about certain aspects. Those blogs provided some of the best insight into one of my favorite games. Hell, for all I know, you could watch these web seminars and find w/e proof you need to call h1 a complete accident, but regardless I think anyone who actually enjoys Halo 1 would love to listen to these podcasts.

Its actually hard for me to differentiate what was said on his blog and what was said in the video, but finding out about jetpacks in h1 was cool, and how prisoner was one of the worst maps in the game until they I guess changed the vertical scaling. He mentions the percent too..  I wish I could have seen pictures of how bad it was. He talks about the designer for HeH and how on paper it looked awful but in game it just worked. It's a lot of miscellaneous information, like how his biggest regret in the game was the portals on sidewinder. He was so happy to hear that gearbox fixed that lol.

I'm sure some people are probably rolling their eyes reading this going.. "teapot and another Halo CE post in a thread not about CE"... So on that note I'd like to take this time to remind everyone to play shadowrun :)

• Upvote (+1) 1

"Hugely improved" forge yet we get Orion. Come on 343, we can even get out of that map easily, forge must be great if you can't even get a killzone down.

They better be quick about adding better forge map into rotation.  

Yeah, lets judge the entire forge mode because one dev made a shit forge map.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

They better be quick about adding better forge map into rotation.  

I call it Cage 2.0

On a completely other note than the past 5 pages of this discussion.

I was wondering about thrusters. What would the game play like if they functioned the same as sprint in regards to shield recharge times. 

For example: You be one shot, you thruster away, you still be one shot.  Just like sprinting before shields begin to come back. 

I've seen a lot of top tier players streaming and the heavy reliance on thruster to back down/get away be crazy. 

Not sure why this was getting negged. Competitive BTB players have been wanting a ranked playlist for upwards of 6 years now. 

BTB can be just as competitive as 4v4's. 

Ranked Squad 6v6 in H3 was fucken awesome. It's unfortunate it didn't last too long.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'd rather have the game now than wait an extra two months for forge.

To each their own.

I get that. Not everyone loves Forge. My only gripe was that most companies are just releasing incomplete games. I know finishing Forge and sending it out doesn't hurt the gameplay or anything like that, but they kept us in the dark (as far as I know) when they knew it wouldn't be out, at launch and we were asking questions a long time ago. If they didn't, as it got closer, they should have said something. I never once heard anything about Forge, and I follow them on twitter and check in here fairly often. Not to talk, but just to see the top articles. Large components shouldn't be left out, is all that bothers me. My personal opinion is that the game should be complete before launch, and only really need tweaks when it comes to balancing weapons, patching bugs, etc. Not adding in whole other features that are basically a staple of the franchise. The only saving grace really is that they aren't charging anything for it. Which if they didn't announce free DLC, then I would have been surprised.