CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

The thing is, if I wanted to play shooters with a mouse and keyboard, I'd be playing CS... and while you can use a controller for PC shooters, that's just a plain bad idea.

The appeal in console shooters is the manual dexterity involved in using controllers and how it's generally not as precise as on PC, even if you fine-tuned your muscle memory and practiced a lot. Errors are common and it makes consistency shine a lot more.

I'd put up with using a less than favorable peripheral if it meant I was playing a new classic styled Halo. I guess I like Halo for more reasons than just the controller. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

The fact that they're already making changes from our feedback before we even have the beta does make me feel better about Halo 5.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Vetoed is known to analyse stuff on these forums man. He is a Halo Scientist through and through.

I would not analyse a Youtube video though, I would play the game to see the magnetism for myself. I doubt it will be that bad though, and it is a Beta.

I wish the H5 beta had custom games so proper science can be done.

Is it me or at 3:29 does he Clamber without having to lower his weapon?

I think he's just jumping from side of edge he's slipping off.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I appreciate the detailed response. I'm still not swayed into being in favour of sprint, but having an insight into the design process behind it is something to be thankful for after all this time.

• Upvote (+1) 8

Stuff

What do you think about simplicity > complexity? I think that's a major oversight here. When you say that the mobility has been underdeveloped by the majority, I say it has been kept simple on purpose. The simplicity of being able to move around the map still requires skill to hit some jumps and allows for easier map creation. Halo CE Arena style maps would be so simple to make that work (symmetric maps at least), while Halo 5 maps will take so much refining over time to make work and will still be massive. I would ask how you know that the majority wants sprint since the online numbers over time have shown quite the opposite.

-Thoughts on simplicity > complexity

-Thoughts on Map creation with new mobility (size)

-Thoughts on Online Numbers

• Upvote (+1) 6

snip

thanks for the response im sure a lot of us will appreciate it. You had some very good points in that sprint can work well in an arena shooter if done right, and from the looks of it you guys are doing sprint the right way. Can't wait to play the beta for myself to experience this first hand. 

EDIT: I still don't like sprint, but it isn't a function that will decide if I buy the game or not. Especially the sprint in halo 5

Thanks for taking the time to type that, @@Sal1ent. Well, I can't say I'm swayed either, but I am more willing to give it a go in the beta and see how it feels.

As much as it frustrates me to say this, you're completely right about people expecting sprint in shooters nowadays, but I'm not sure that means you should simply do what is expected. After all, to say that sprint is an evolution of the FPS genre would be false; and you didn't say this, which is good. But if a feature isn't a true evolution--that is to say, it cannot be contested that it makes the games it's in better--then wouldn't it be better to try and do something to set yourself APART from the typical shooter with a mechanic has equal advantages to sprint but given through a different means? (Forgive my writing skills, I can't talk write today.) For example, increase base movement speed to give the illusion of continuous running instead? Just an example.

The basis of good innovation is defying expectation in a positive way. Don't feel you HAVE to do something just because people expect it. If everyone did, Demon's Souls would be the most hated game of last generation for being difficult in a world of casual games.

Also would like some feedback into whether or not we'll be getting nice, compact maps ever again like H2 days . . .

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

/Josh

Although I don't agree with half of the points, I appreciate the reasoning. You seem to understand the importance of balance. The only issue with balance is how subjective the term and its execution truly is. I will reserve my judgments for the beta, though. For all I know sprint and the new mobility features work perfectly in the sandbox. I always hated sprint in Halo but I'm willing to admit the attention to detail calms my nerves. In the past, sprint was a tacked on and pointless defensive mechanism. In this game there seems to be great discussion on the integration and particular balances being made. It shows that you are carefully developing a new movement system rather than just tacking sprint on as a crutch for bad players. I will give the beta a week off work and form my own opinion once I get my hands on it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

@@Sal1ent I think a lot of us here are anti-sprint is because we have seen what it looks like with and without sprint. Halo 2-3 were easily the most popular Halos, and Halo 3 had a million players at one point, it kept a top place on the xbox leader board for 3 years! And then Halo Reach came out, and introduced these foreign spartan abilities, and the population went from 800k (if I remember correctly) on launch day, to maybe 100k within a year. And then Halo 4, that ship sank insanely quick. I also have to ask. I feel like the online community has been pretty vocal about no sprint, not just the competitive community. Every community feels like anti sprint. Yet here we are and this seems like even deeper down the rabbit hole. I just don't understand why this is being seemingly ignored.

I really do appreciate the explanation though. I'm definitely open to sprint in Halo 5, but I've seen my favorite game series fall completely off a cliff in the past 2 iterations.

Going back to sprint… why have it in Halo? 

Great post. While I can't pretend I'm in favor of sprint (and at the end of the day, I didn't expect this post to convince me I should be) I'm just glad its inclusion isn't a corporate decision. Immersion is one of the better explanations behind it.

I do hope you're open to feedback on sprint once the beta hits. So far it at least looks like the best / most balanced iteration of sprint thus far, and at least, this is promising, but there's no doubt we can make it even better or an even superior offensive tool.

Above all though, a lot of respect found for someone who can come forth and talk to a semi-hostile crowd knowing it won't be a fair fight ahead. Thanks for doing this.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Not to be a negative Nancy here, but it is pretty clear that sprint and the other features are here to stay. They have been in development for nearly 2 years. 343 will not scrap all of those ideas and work, to please our "smaller" demographic. It's pretty apparent that the "classic Halo" has left the station, never to be heard from or seen again. 

However, I do appreciate the clarity and explanation from 343. It's clear that this is the direction that Halo is going. All we can do is play the beta and give feedback, for minor tweaks. I, for one, am not interested in this type of Halo that has been displayed thus far, and will not be purchasing an Xbox One to play a franchise I grew up with. Maybe it will be great, or maybe I'll get lured back into the series like when Reach NBNS came out. But as of right now, with the beyond horrible launch of MCC and the direction of H5 an Xbox One purchase solely to play Halo, seems like a poor investment for me.