CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I want to see the return of buttons on maps. Like switches in classic maps that open doors or pathways.

I would like to see very unique versions of these added to halo 5. I think the one on vertigo was pretty cool but

they could do better.

• Upvote (+1) 8

I'm going to have to disagree. Halo should never stray close to RPG elements.

On a MP level it would probably be terrible, on a SP level though it would work well I think, I imagine it starting out with you choosing your character (MC/arbiter/Didact/some kind of flood form perhaps) and loadout (don't think I have to explain this one) and you are given a main objective (along with multiple side missions) and throughout the game you essentially "evolve" (they even teased this a little in halo 4) and become more powerful and the like, and again halo on a sandbox level suites this sort of thing fairly well and has proven to work well in an open environment (ODST and CE to an extent) so really its not as bad as it sounds, I think your (aswell as many others) gut reaction is that because it doesn't follow halo's roots its terrible but really it follows them more closely then many people think.

This is all just speculation of course but seeing as how everyone is pulling out their Halo2chaser illuminati garbage and how people are thinking of F2P halo I don't see anything wrong with it, so there :P

• Upvote (+1) 2

The way Reach handled how you can take your Spartan to Campaign to MP to Firefight was a pretty good way for Halo to handle RPG elements.

• Upvote (+1) 5

4 weeks till E3....

Halo 5 to be the savior or the nail in the coffin(forever) to competitive Halo as it is(not like there is much at the moment anyway)

That nail is already started in the coffin hopefully they stop hammering tho.

0add5f30c0602d31ba7057c0796b4e79.320x240

• Upvote (+1) 6

My view is that making Halo MP is all execution based pretty much, game-wise and with the community. 343 has not shown us yet they can craft Halo MP with the level of detail, balance, and diversity as Bungie did.

I feel like once the original developer leaves, its hard for a brand new studio to live up to the identity and style of the previous developer without either pissing off the majority of the core fan-base by trying to insert their own style(which H4/RB6 Vegas did), or being slammed for not "innovating" enough from the media, publisher, and casual fan-base.

The 343 MP team is not in an envious position right now, they know H5 cant have the drop-off in population H4 did, but they also know Halo needs to capture new audiences in order to stay relevant with main-stream audiences. It will be interesting so see what they do in the future, because although its clear to us as fans that they should "Go back to classic Halo", I think MS and 343 will continue to put importance on making Halo MP more accessible to new audiences.

I could be wrong, but many shooter franchises like RS, Quake(Quake 4 sucked), Socom, ect.. that I can think have suffered from a MP stand-point after the original developer leaves or moves on, and many of those franchises are now largely irrelevant to main-stream audiences as the "golden age" is now behind them. I just hope Halo MP's "Golden Age" is not over with the dominance of pseudo-realistic military shooters on the market, and that 343 can deliver a quality Halo MP experience that stands above the rest in unique identity and quality like the Halo MP of old.

• Upvote (+1) 4

The way Reach handled how you can take your Spartan to Campaign to MP to Firefight was a pretty good way for Halo to handle RPG elements.

One of my favorite things reach was how in cutscenes you could see your spartan, I know this isn't exactly related to what you were saying nor is it that big of a deal but it really made the game feel more personal and made watching them cutscenes all the more valuable, sadly they won't be able to do that again as long as hulk is still the main protagonist but hopefully they'll bring that back in future titles.
  • Upvote (+1) 3

Predictions: 

• Spint in some playlists, not in others. Possibility of being in all playlists, but option to turn it off in custom games. 
  • Descope back 
  • Some kind of ranking system but not 1-50
  • Possibility of spectator mode 
  • Better maps than Halo 4 
  • Improved UI 

I know this sounds a bit optimistic, but I do genuinely think these things will happen this time. I was so pessimistic about Halo 4 with it being the first game from 343 and all, but they've learnt so much since then. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

4 weeks till E3....

Halo 5 to be the savior or the nail in the coffin(forever) to competitive Halo as it is(not like there is much at the moment anyway)

We probably wont see that much from H5 this year.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

That nail is already started in the coffin hopefully they stop hammering tho.

0add5f30c0602d31ba7057c0796b4e79.320x240

That's what I meant, this could very well be the last nail needed.

We probably wont see that much from H5 this year.

We will probably get some "343i more on that later" news.

• Upvote (+1) 3

We will probably get some "343i more on that later" news.

It would be stupid to have a huge halo 5 reveal sering as how H2A is coming this year and halo 5 next meaning that they most likely want to maintain that hype train as long as possible, we'll likely also see some leaks throughout but nonetheless they'll be playing the good ole bait and switch technique.

I really hope default sprint is gone for good, otherwise i won't even bother; i will rent the game, finish it and go on.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I really hope default sprint is gone for good, otherwise i won't even bother; i will rent the game, finish it and go on.

I still don't understand why people pretend that was what killed halo, I guarantee you they could remove sprint and still make an incredibly shitty game, don't just say "No-Sprint or bust" or w'e, actually look at the game on all levels before you make the purchase.
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I still don't understand why people pretend that was what killed halo, I guarantee you they could remove sprint and still make an incredibly shitty game, don't just say "No-Sprint or bust" or w'e, actually look at the game on all levels before you make the purchase.

I'm not saying that an Halo without default sprint is no doubt going to be amazing (i mean... Reach....), all i'm saying is that i'm not going to play another Halo Multiplayer with default sprint in it, because it's doomed from the start; the map design is going to suck, the game pacing is going to suck, player movement will be slow in order to balance it, and overall it won't feel like real Halo.

The removal of default sprint is going to be a pre-requisite for the game multiplayer to be successful, and if 343 is thinking otherwise they are kidding themselves.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I still find starting on an equal playing field is more important than no Sprint. Sprint or no Sprint, the game will suck if we can still spawn with armor abilities, modifications, plasma grenades, plasma pistol, and a mini shotgun.

Those things can be removed from a competitive playlist, however once you ruin map design your game is never going to be a viable competitive title.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Those things can be removed from a competitive playlist, however once you ruin map design your game is never going to be a viable competitive title.

Spawning with everything has changed map layout dramatically though. Armor abilities as pickups and not in loadouts will affect map design as well.

Spawning with everything has changed map layout dramatically though. Armor abilities as pickups and not in loadouts will affect map design as well.

Making AA into a map pickup doesn't solve the actual problem, jetpack is the only one I can think of that truly benefits from being a map pickup, at best it really does is lessen the problem but fundamentally the problem still remains, AA should work more like perks and less like equipment basically.
  • Downvote (-1) 3

Of course, but nowhere near as much as DS IMO; obviously i would too prefer that they eliminate both default sprint and loadouts, but i feel that if it comes to priorities, a game without DS but with loadouts it's probably a better foundation to build upon than the other way around.

P.s. And let's not forget that unfortunally progressive based XP systems with actual effect on gameplay are the bread and butter of the current generation of FPS players, i don't see 343 letting that go, but let's hope i'm mistaken.

Making AA into a map pickup doesn't solve the actual problem, jetpack is the only one I can think of that truly benefits from being a map pickup, at best it really does is lessen the problem but fundamentally the problem still remains, AA should work more like perks and less like equipment basically.

You rather have AA's as perks and spawn with them than being on the map as pickups?

You rather have AA's as perks and spawn with them than being on the map as pickups?

To clarify by AA's being more like perks I did not mean they should be passive and constant, I meant they should be less game altering (ala crutches) and more like thruster or jetpack where they just expand on what the player can already do, in that way they don't break/change the game fundamentally and don't have as much of an impact on the game overall without having to fundamentally change their design and function.

Perks were incredibly imbalanced (whoever thought using 3 simultaneously was a good idea should be fired) but overall they seemed to work fine, unless you just hate asymmetric gameplay in itself anyway.

To clarify by AA's being more like perks I did not mean they should be passive and constant, I meant they should be less game altering (ala crutches) and more like thruster or jetpack where they just expand on what the player can already do, in that way they don't break/change the game fundamentally and don't have as much of an impact on the game overall without having to fundamentally change their design and function.

Perks were incredibly imbalanced (whoever thought using 3 simultaneously was a good idea should be fired) but overall they seemed to work fine, unless you just hate asymmetric gameplay in itself anyway.

I'm not arguing their functionality, I'm arguing their placement. Spawning with them destroys the essence of one of the key elements that made Halo popular (starting on an equal playing field). If they were pickups, it would be a considerably better game.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'm not arguing their functionality, I'm arguing their placement. Spawning with them destroys the essence of one of the key elements that made Halo popular (starting on an equal playing field). If they were pickups, it would be a considerably better game.

Again their fundamental flaw would still be the same, the only difference would be AA's being used less.

I understand that you dislike asymmetric gameplay but that doesn't necessarily mean its bad nor does it mean halo should be that way, I could just as easily say that loadouts/ perks/AA's/etc are freaking awesome (like certain other halo communities believe) and that halo should be that way, my point is that if your gonna go that route you should do it properly.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Everything just needs to be removed. When we have to make our competitive playlist so much different then the default It drives away the casuals from even wanting to try and there for we get lower and lower numbers.

Look at COD for instants the competitive playlist isn't that hugely different than default cod. That is why its so successful. That is why H2 and H3 were also successful. Just make the game were everyone can try the competitive playlist and not feel like they are playing two different games.

• Upvote (+1) 2