CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Wrong... Go look up Hardy Lebel. It was only an accident in the sense that bungie and MS weren't sticking their paws in it. Hardy intentionally designed almost everything about it and says he was very inspired by old PC shooters. I think he later said he was somehow involved in halo 2 but bailed because their ideas were not with highly competitive gameplay in mind.

Read Hardy Lebel's blogs about CE and you'll realize a lot of it wasn't luck but a very thoughtful process. A blanket statement about past and current bungie employees is unfair, people come and go.

Hardy's blogs are general dev-speak. They do not go into detail on the competitive intricacies of H1 that we recognize today, in fact they really don't even touch on them. Nowhere does he remark on the significance of the pistol's TTK, the idea of large amounts of reticule mag vs. low amounts of bullet mag, the restricted but fulfilling sandbox, static weapon timers and what that does for map flow, asymmetrical maps with large emphasis on verticality, etc.

Like it or not, a lot of H1 was an accident.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Makes sense, I can see the appeal.

I still think 343 should try to avoid playlist redundancy if possible. It seems like a waste to use multiple playlist slots on similar experiences. If they're going to potentially split the population, they should at least try to inject some variety into the two options to mitigate the impact somewhat.

Yeah, agree with reducing playlist redundancy. I'm talking specifically about the weekend social lists. I just don't see any reason for it to be ranked.

Orion sucks, but there is some interesting meta happening do to the poor weapon placements.

Wow lol. The rail nade is obvious and maybe the snipe one too but its still surprising to see someone use the exact same nade throws that I do from the same spots. He didn't seem to have the nade for snipe to red though

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Snipe%20Three/screenshot/2412531# That is one of the spots to nade a snipe to nearby red

• Upvote (+1) 1

Hardy's blogs are general dev-speak. They do not go into detail on the competitive intricacies of H1 that we recognize today, in fact they really don't even touch on them. Nowhere does he remark on the significance of the pistol's TTK, the idea of large amounts of reticule mag vs. low amounts of bullet mag, the restricted but fulfilling sandbox, static weapon timers and what that does for map flow, asymmetrical maps with large emphasis on verticality, etc.

Why not go ask the guy about those competitive intricacies then? Did you watch his web seminars as well? 

• Upvote (+1) 2

He also said he designed Halo 1 to be a party game with shooter elements.

He's pretty spot-on with that.

Yep, he succeeded fantastically. It's great fun if you don't take it seriously. I compare it very closely to SSBM. Both are designed with casual play in mind but add depth for people who care to get really good at it.

• Upvote (+1) 3

His webinars focused on the exact things you just mentioned. Have you watched them?

Why not go ask the guy about those competitive intricacies then? Did you watch his web seminars as well? 

I doubt he's going to write an essay for me based off a Twitter request.

His webinars focused on the exact things you just mentioned. Have you watched them?

"His blogs clearly show that H1 was on purpose."

"Actually they don't in any way, shape or form."

"Yeah but his webinars clearly show that H1 was on purpose."

Now if I go and watch these...

I knew the real numbers were bad but not this bad.

I mean when you think about it... If it sold 3 million copies people played on average 2 matches in a week. That's pretty bad and does not bode well for retention

Holy shit. That's some pretty simple math I wish I had done.

Yikes dude.

Yeah, agree with reducing playlist redundancy. I'm talking specifically about the weekend social lists. I just don't see any reason for it to be ranked.

Yes, unless they're doing some sort of "race to the top" event or something, weekend lists shouldn't be ranked.

They should generally be novelty variants, so making them ranked wouldn't make sense.

Holy shit. That's some pretty simple math I wish I had done.

Yikes dude.

We should make an infographic of this.

Since that's trendy these days.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Anyone have a time where you a shooting a guy with a pistol and 3 shots register and the rest are just like nerf gun shots?

I agree, but to say all of it was an accident isn't true which seemed to be what the original poster was saying.

One thing that I really do believe was an accident, and thank goodness for it, was the pistol ttk. Rusty on my halo history but I think I remember reading once that it was a last minute balancing fix for the campaign. Why couldn't that have happened again in halo 5 ugh lol

Obviously back pack reloading and the double melee were not intended...

Map design and weapon niches (plasma stun for instance) were designed with a purpose though (343 may argue that). You're right about Lebel leaving much to be desired as far as further intricacies of the actual fps mechanics.

Fuck now I'm becoming all nostalgic and depressed.

Anyways my point was I just didn't think saying that all of the people who worked on that game were thumbless idiots is very fair.

Anyone have a time where you a shooting a guy with a pistol and 3 shots register and the rest are just like nerf gun shots?

Yeah. Especially in Warzone. I feel dirty having to pull out the Assault Rifle because I always forget to pick the Storm Rifle instead.......

Still curious if someone will answer my question. Does the game chat work in the lobby? Whenever I'm in the lobby with someone or searching for a match, I can't hear anybody so I have to go to a party chat. Is this the same for everyone else? Game chat works IN game just fine. It's just the lobby nobody can hear each other.

All the time. Get them down to no shields and then my bullets are just like nope.avi 

Yep, he succeeded fantastically. It's great fun if you don't take it seriously. I compare it very closely to SSBM. Both are designed with casual play in mind but add depth for people who care to get really good at it.

That's a comparison I've made as well. Both are popular with casual and competitive players, both have rule customization as a core feature, both have excellent interaction between mechanics and sandbox items that are often asymmetrical.

Made the splitscreen cut that much more bizarre.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Still curious if someone will answer my question. Does the game chat work in the lobby? Whenever I'm in the lobby with someone or searching for a match, I can't hear anybody so I have to go to a party chat. Is this the same for everyone else? Game chat works IN game just fine. It's just the lobby nobody can hear each other.

Count yourself lucky. I am so tired of hearing children, dogs, people's parents, Lil Wayne and whatever other garbage people's mics pick up on. No muting in lobbies is so damn annoying.

"His blogs clearly show that H1 was on purpose."

"Actually they don't in any way, shape or form."

"Yeah but his webinars clearly show that H1 was on purpose."

Now if I go and watch these...

They aren't going to focus 100% on the points you brought up, but they discuss a lot. I think there are 5 separate 20 minute videos and they're pretty insightful. The thing is he hosted these and very few people even asked him deep questions. He went over a lot of interesting stories about design and stuff, and one in particular was about nading weapons. It wasn't intentional to stand in certain areas and nade weapons off 7 walls into your hands. It wasn't a thought in their mind during playtesting, but the fact that grenades do move weapons was a completely intentional design that he thought was fun.

So I assume you don't know how this whole blog/web seminar started then, cause that's exactly how it happened.

Curious.

What options would you offer in the Weekend Social playlist in the future? Obviously we'd all love to throw Infection or Grifball there but in terms of what is possible with Halo 5 right now, what would you actually put there?

• Grifball
  • Living Dead
  • Race
  • Brawl
  • BTB Heavies
  • CTF ("Flagstravaganza")
  • Maption Sack (nothing but Forge maps)
  • Octagon 1v1 (ranked, could be fun)
  • Team Control (KoTH, Territories, Strongholds)
  • 3 Ball
  • Ricochet

plus of course all the playlists that should have been there at launch (Doubles, Snipers, Team Objective, Multi Team, Social Skirmish, Social Slayer)

Game chat doesn't work in the lobby lol. I believe it starts right after you connect to some other players.

Count yourself lucky. I am so tired of hearing children, dogs, people's parents, Lil Wayne and whatever other garbage people's mics pick up on. No muting in lobbies is so damn annoying.

I end up having to mute everyone cause I can't seem to figure out who the guilty party is

343 just likes to mess up things that were fine, thinking they can improve it but then they just ruin it. You should know this by now.

Other games have been having the same issues.

Have this problem as well. I have noticed in game if you go to scoreboard, you can press x to switch from party chat to game chat ( gives this option even when not in a party, have to switch to game chat to hear people) I wonder if after you switch in game, if it sticks and all of a sudden you can hear lobby after

I wouldn't be surprised if he did he's quite responsive on Twitter.