CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

It's a competitive game. I suggest people who want a "social" experience get a Nintendo Wii. Or if you want to pub stomp, there is always MCC social playlists.

No, no there is not.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's a competitive game. I suggest people who want a "social" experience get a Nintendo Wii. Or if you want to pub stomp, there is always MCC social playlists.

Lol. You are so clueless man. There's no point in talking to you.
  • Upvote (+1) 4

Was there watching along with the other 500 or so (great turnout, right?) and it was solid. The laid-back casting was nice while watching two people crouch around the map for 10 minutes at a time haha. Can't wait to see what the future streams bring :)

Awesome, I am glad you enjoyed! 

I think the peak viewership was a little over 1 thousand from what I was able to see. So a great first turnout for sure.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Messing around with the new API and found a playlist called ""RuleEngineBanRuleEVT Banning Rule Test Hopper"

Obviously a test playlist for bans but this was the playlist image:

monocle-93559a789d6444f8af96903a3e545d5f

:saucey:

There are a few unranked playlists on MCC.
Noticed I highlighted MCC, not the playlist part. Playing MCC isn't an option when 90% of the games don't play like their originals.

Lol. You are so clueless man. There's no point in talking to you.

You're the one who is clueless. Halo isn't a relaxing game. It's a competitive FPS.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 3

The hell is up with Reversal anyway? This isn't a fighting game.

See I love the addition of Reversal and Perrrrfect. Might be a little silly in SWAT, but he's facing really bad players and they all are missing his head haha. Seems like a legitimate "reversal" to me.

You're the one who is clueless. Halo isn't a relaxing game. It's a competitive FPS.

I thought gears of war and cs are competitive games too but they have social playlist weird.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Halo 1 competitive balance was by shear luck. Bungie hated it and had a goal of destroying that in h2. I still remember the E3 preview where they claimed the needler was viable in h2. Bungie was a bunch of noobs with no thumbs. They had no clue when it came to competitive gameplay design, stuff was simply dumb luck. They were good at designing innovative features such as rankings, custom settings, theater, forge, web/game stat interaction (remember h2 heat maps? not particularly useful but pretty interesting).

Wrong... Go look up Hardy Lebel. It was only an accident in the sense that bungie and MS weren't sticking their paws in it. Hardy intentionally designed almost everything about it and says he was very inspired by old PC shooters. I think he later said he was somehow involved in halo 2 but bailed because their ideas were not with highly competitive gameplay in mind.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yea you are right, we need to tell Valve to remove Gun Game, jump maps, and hosties from Counter Strike asap. Social gametypes can't coexist with competitive ones, it isn't possible

• Upvote (+1) 4

Yeah, like if the packs were cheaper and unlocked specific or predictable items that were well made, ala skins in MOBAs, I'd consider spending money.

As it is now, I don't feel like I gain anything of value from the majority of REQ packs. Certainly nothing worth $3.

I think most people outside of warzone fans just get them for emblems and skins. I'd honestly rather just pay $2 for a Team Skin or Team Logo on my chest/helmet. 

After playing LOL for 2 years, stupid shit like that makes my penis tingle.

Also, speaking of REQ

• Upvote (+1) 2

Social in previous games did just hide rank but search restrictions were very relaxed. It wouldn't always try to match you with similar skill levels. For social, I'd rather fast matches than skill-based matches.

Doesn't this lead to games with a few extremely skilled players amongst a group of casuals? So you've got one guy going 35-2 while the rest of the group are trying to learn the controls?

The point of a social playlist is to play with nothing on the line. You can grab some low ranked buddies and play teams of varying skill levels without being punished. You can't do that in ranked matches. I have gotten placed Diamond 1 and higher and my friends have all placed Gold. If we play together it's not going to be a good experience and I will more than likely end up losing rank. That shouldn't be the case I should be able to play arena with my friends and just play.

Sure, I can see the value of playing without worry for the consequences of the outcome.

In the case of your mixed party example, the game should be attempting to aggregate the value of all ranks present, and balance the teams accordingly. Creating a redundant playlist seems like an inelegant solution. Having ranked and unranked playlists that don't have any gametype overlap might be a solution.

Halo 1 competitive balance was by shear luck. Bungie hated it and had a goal of destroying that in h2. I still remember the E3 preview where they claimed the needler was viable in h2. Bungie was a bunch of noobs with no thumbs. They had no clue when it came to competitive gameplay design, stuff was simply dumb luck. They were good at designing innovative features such as rankings, custom settings, theater, forge, web/game stat interaction (remember h2 heat maps? not particularly useful but pretty interesting).

Read Hardy Lebel's blogs about CE and you'll realize a lot of it wasn't luck but a very thoughtful process. A blanket statement about past and current bungie employees is unfair, people come and go.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Doesn't this lead to games with a few extremely skilled players amongst a group of casuals? So you've got one guy going 35-2 while the rest of the group are trying to learn the controls?

It all depends on who you match. Sometimes it'll be a stomp and sometimes it'll be close. Thumbless people could match thumbless people, thumbless people could match pros. It's the nature of social and it has always been popular.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Eh it makes sense to me. plus what else are you going to call it? Out pistoled/BRd etc? Sounds dumb to me

IMO most satisfying medal outside of Perfect

Another satisfying medal for me is RocketMary. One of those things that they didn't really need to add but I'm glad they did.

We had the first (ever?) Halo 5 Online tournament casted using spectator mode last night. 

Had a slightly rocky start with a random audio delay problem, but overall I think it went pretty great. 

Spectator mode is kind of difficult to work with though for online tournaments, I wish they would have modeled it after Call of Duty and Gears where you actually join the lobby. Right now its a little like watching theater, and the casters would have to actually count down on stream (3-2-1) before every match to make sure they were both in sync and seeing the same thing on their screens.

Not an impossible hurdle, just a slight annoyance. I am very glad we can atleast spectate now! 

I just can't see the appeal of watching someone cast that way with how gross the gameplay looks in spectator mode sometimes. Maybe if they delayed live footage to sync with it and only used spectator for 3rd person to pan around and show players through walls it would look... better. The lack of a real caster mode and lan just fucks everything up tbh. 

Wrong... Go look up Hardy Lebel. It was only an accident in the sense that bungie and MS weren't sticking their paws in it. Hardy intentionally designed almost everything about it and says he was very inspired by old PC shooters. I think he later said he was somehow involved in halo 2 but bailed because their ideas were not with highly competitive gameplay in mind.

He also said he designed Halo 1 to be a party game with shooter elements.

He's pretty spot-on with that.

It all depends on who you match. Sometimes it'll be a stomp and sometimes it'll be close. Thumbless people could match thumbless people, thumbless people could match pros. It's the nature of social and it has always been popular.

Makes sense, I can see the appeal.

I still think 343 should try to avoid playlist redundancy if possible. It seems like a waste to use multiple playlist slots on similar experiences. If they're going to potentially split the population, they should at least try to inject some variety into the two options to mitigate the impact somewhat.

My 2 cents on the way aiming currently works. I have played Halo thousands of hours. The best analogy I can think of is this: Take a piano and switch a couple of the keys around so that C was G and E was F lets say. Now tell a concert pianist to "just get good" and play the damn thing. Technically speaking the instrument still works to full capabilities, but it's going to be quite frustrating. He may never become as good as he was before.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Wow... those are some weak ass numbers. Embarrassing that they even put them out.

7 million matches played in a week? Reach did 70+ million in 6 days.

9 million multiplayer hours in a week... Reach had 52 million in 6 days.

I wish I could find stats for week one of Halo 2 but the best I could find was lifetime averages.

Halo 2 averaged 83 million games per month. Halo 5 is on place to get 28 million if it never drops any population.

The Halo 3 and Reach numbers are disgusting, it's not fair to mention them here. Suffice it to say Halo 5 isn't even in the same ballpark.

Claiming this is the biggest Halo launch ever is like saying the Halo 5 pistol is a great utility weapon. Shit man, they had to include hardware in the sales figures. Every Halo controller they sold is one copy worth of $ and every console bundle of six copies worth of $.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's actually the smallest Halo launch ever. (Except CE)

I knew the real numbers were bad but not this bad.

I mean when you think about it... If it sold 3 million copies people played on average 2 matches in a week. That's pretty bad and does not bode well for retention

He also said he designed Halo 1 to be a party game with shooter elements.

He's pretty spot-on with that.

what a weirdo creating both an accessible and highly competitive game.. who does that?

• Upvote (+1) 5

Read Hardy Lebel's blogs about CE and you'll realize a lot of it wasn't luck but a very thoughtful process. A blanket statement about past and current bungie employees is unfair, people come and go.

Links plox