CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

The hell is up with Reversal anyway? This isn't a fighting game.

Yet people still screamed OUT BR'D, OUT DMR'D or OUTPLAYED at the top of their lungs every time they won a battle like that. It's a useful medal, it just shouldn't be announced.

Curious.

What options would you offer in the Weekend Social playlist in the future? Obviously we'd all love to throw Infection or Grifball there but in terms of what is possible with Halo 5 right now, what would you actually put there?

Multi-team could be fun

The fact that Josh Holmes thinks that we should just "not care about the rank and just play" as a solution shows how clueless he is to this problem. It's not that simple why the hell can't we get at least 1 or 2 social playlists. Why force ranked Arena on everyone? I just don't get it anymore.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Reversal, Snapshot have the announcer, but multi kills don't, hmmmm......

• Upvote (+1) 2

Yet people still screamed OUT BR'D, OUT DMR'D or OUTPLAYED at the top of their lungs every time they won a battle like that. It's a useful medal, it just shouldn't be announced.

I think in regular games reversal being announced is great. It really shows when you outplay someone. Especially since there is no post game medal screen.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Here's my thoughts on the game so far:

1- I love the skillgap in this game. I don't feel like it's unfair when I get killed by certain weapons because each has it's own use and situation in which it will be useful. Playing to your weapon setup and positioning is paramount and I'm adjusting to less darting around and chasing and more methodical teamwork. (bad habits from The 4)

2- The ranking system is awesome so far (Diamond in everything, except Onyx in FFA so take my word with a grain of salt). There are some blowout matches for sure against a team every now and then but when I que solo, I still make my mistakes and take responsibility for them. This, and the fact that I've run into people on mics willing to communicate to win is impressive to say the least. The incentive to win is there, and moving up from plat to diamond in Slayer was EXTREMELY satisfying. 

3- I LOVE the pistol. In fact, I purposefully avoid picking up rifles except for the LR because I want to get better with it. While some here say it loses it's uses and isn't a true utility weapon, I'm working day in day out to figure out when it's best to utilize the pistol and how to close in the range gap to make the fight more even. Warzone assault has helped my long range battles too with the magnum, so there's that. 

4- The already infamous AR/automatics. I love them and realize subsequently why they can be problems. The game is literally littered with power weapons and I don't feel like it's a bad thing to pick up weapons based on certain situations. I like this style of play alot. My stubborness to improve my shot with the pistol leads to me dying alot when trying to force close range encounters, but that's my active choice. I'm enjoying the challenge so far of maneuvering and outshooting auto/rifle users. It's extremely satisfying. However, there will be some weapon rebalancing and I hope it's done well.

5- Playlists could be done better. There isn't much variety but what's there definitely holds me for hours at a time. Taking a hard loss in arena seems like a good time to rollover to warzone and ride around in a hog. I think Warzone is fun and engaging, certain boss placements make it more random as to deciding who gets the kill, but it's so enjoyable seeing a tank column rolling around on Apex 7 to prep for Warden. 

That's my gist so far. Waiting to see how everything is handled in the coming weeks.

• Upvote (+1) 7

All playlists should be inherently ranked.  If they create social playlists they need to be ranked playlists just without punishments for quitting and without showing visible ranks.  

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

We had the first (ever?) Halo 5 Online tournament casted using spectator mode last night. 

Had a slightly rocky start with a random audio delay problem, but overall I think it went pretty great. 

Spectator mode is kind of difficult to work with though for online tournaments, I wish they would have modeled it after Call of Duty and Gears where you actually join the lobby. Right now its a little like watching theater, and the casters would have to actually count down on stream (3-2-1) before every match to make sure they were both in sync and seeing the same thing on their screens.

Not an impossible hurdle, just a slight annoyance. I am very glad we can atleast spectate now! 

• Upvote (+1) 6

The fact that Josh Holmes thinks that we should just "not care about the rank and just play" as a solution shows how clueless he is to this problem. It's not that simple why the hell can't we get at least 1 or 2 social playlists. Why force ranked Arena on everyone? I just don't get it anymore.

Do you just want the rank display turned off? Or do you want actual changes to the skill matching?

I haven't found the ranking to be all that intrusive to casual play. In the playlists where I care about rank, I try to play my best, and in the others I just relax and let the game put me where it wants.

Just trying to understand, I don't get how removing ranks will change anything tangible, unless you throw out skill matching as well.

• Upvote (+1) 1

All playlists should be inherently ranked.  If they create social playlists they need to be ranked playlists just without punishments for quitting and without showing visible ranks.  

social is a place to relax and not be so sweaty it does not need ranks.

• Upvote (+1) 1

We had the first (ever?) Halo 5 Online tournament casted using spectator mode last night. 

Had a slightly rocky start with a random audio delay problem, but overall I think it went pretty great. 

Spectator mode is kind of difficult to work with though for online tournaments, I wish they would have modeled it after Call of Duty and Gears where you actually join the lobby. Right now its a little like watching theater, and the casters would have to actually count down on stream (3-2-1) before every match to make sure they were both in sync and seeing the same thing on their screens.

Not an impossible hurdle, just a slight annoyance. I am very glad we can atleast spectate now! 

Was there watching along with the other 500 or so (great turnout, right?) and it was solid. The laid-back casting was nice while watching two people crouch around the map for 10 minutes at a time haha. Can't wait to see what the future streams bring :)

Shouldn't be announced (in swat at least) / shouldn't be rewarded for spawn killing the player you just out played.

Do you just want the rank display turned off? Or do you want actual changes to the skill matching?

I haven't found the ranking to be all that intrusive to casual play. In the playlists where I care about rank, I try to play my best, and in the others I just relax and let the game put me where it wants.

Just trying to understand, I don't get how removing ranks will change anything tangible, unless you throw out skill matching as well.

Social in previous games did just hide rank but search restrictions were very relaxed. It wouldn't always try to match you with similar skill levels. For social, I'd rather fast matches than skill-based matches.

Because social sucks and usually ends in lopsided games with tons of quitters.

social is a place to relax and not be so sweaty it does not need ranks.

Even social BTB should be a ranked playlist with hidden ranks.  The gametype will create the relaxing atmosphere not the fact that its unranked.  Getting a bunch of noobs paired with a bunch of Onyx/Champion Team Arena players in a BTB match won't be any fun for anyone.  It will just waste the Onyx players time because everyone will quit out after 5 minutes.  Both teams should always be similarly skilled.

I've haven't found the ranking to be all that intrusive to casual play. In the playlists where I care about rank, I try to play my best, and in the others I just relax and let the game put me where it wants.

The point of a social playlist is to play with nothing on the line. You can grab some low ranked buddies and play teams of varying skill levels without being punished. You can't do that in ranked matches. I have gotten placed Diamond 1 and higher and my friends have all placed Gold. If we play together it's not going to be a good experience and I will more than likely end up losing rank. That shouldn't be the case I should be able to play arena with my friends and just play. There are so many reasons as to why social playlists are an important thing. It's always been the more popular way to play Halo and to just remove it outright is insane. The competitive community flipped shit when they had no ranked playlists and now that there are no social you would think people would be sympathetic. But sadly not.
  • Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Curious.

What options would you offer in the Weekend Social playlist in the future? Obviously we'd all love to throw Infection or Grifball there but in terms of what is possible with Halo 5 right now, what would you actually put there?

Doubles or Multi Team. Whatever way we can show that Dubs should be a full time playlist is my top wish.

The hell is up with Reversal anyway? This isn't a fighting game.

Eh it makes sense to me. plus what else are you going to call it? Out pistoled/BRd etc? Sounds dumb to me

IMO most satisfying medal outside of Perfect

Because social sucks and usually ends in lopsided games with tons of quitters.

Then don't play it. Not everyone plays for competitive matches all the time.

Eh it makes sense to me. plus what else are you going to call it? Out pistoled/BRd etc? Sounds dumb to me

yeah I got the OCD thing going on... I'm more used to the dumb phrases I never used than the ones I'm more familiar with in RPG's and fighting games...  :wacko:

Even social BTB should be a ranked playlist with hidden ranks.  The gametype will create the relaxing atmosphere not the fact that its unranked.  Getting a bunch of noobs paired with a bunch of Onyx/Champion Team Arena players in a BTB match won't be any fun for anyone.  It will just waste the Onyx players time because everyone will quit out after 5 minutes.  Both teams should always be similarly skilled.

Just stop. We already have a social BTB playlist. It's call Warzone. Let us real BTB players have a ranked BTB playlist with visible ranks.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 8

Then don't play it. Not everyone plays for competitive matches all the time.

It's a competitive game. I suggest people who want a "social" experience get a Nintendo Wii. Or if you want to pub stomp, there is always MCC social playlists.

• Downvote (-1) 17

I don't know about anyone else, but i am getting real irritated about not getting info on anything besides ReQ packs. I would love to know about party restrictions that is really all i care about right now.