CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Damn being too harsh to Halo 3 dont you think?

And yes game sales doesnt equal to game quality and your point is?

No not really. Poor poor aiming. Gimmicky equipment (you can already see where Bungie was heading with 3 and Reach) the worst campaign and Hollywood writing (too war). Compared to the amazingness of CE and the awesomeness of 2 3 was incredibly disappointing.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Halo games will always sell well because of marketing and because of the "promise" of Halo. People are attracted to the ideal of Halo, they want to play something the evokes the feelings they had when they first got into online FPS multiplayer. Most don't pay attention to the details like we do here, they only care about that broad promise.

If they are straight up honest about funding these tournaments w/ req point sales (not to mention dlc maps for all) then I have to say I'm pretty happy w the scheme. I listened to the angry joe rant on this and had to laugh - he was so pointed about his review being based on the game as it "stands right now" but then his argument against micro's was essentially the slippery slope argument (not bad as implemented but could be in the future). But then again I can't stand the guy in general, overly groomed, loud mouthed DB. I'll never buy a req pack, but have to say if they get us bigger prize pools and "free" dlc without impacting any ranked playlist I can't be all that upset. If it starts flowing into 4 v 4 game types in the future though that will be a different story.

• Upvote (+1) 8

Lol gotta love the pr spin. Don't get me wrong halo 5 did well but they are spinning it like it was bigger than halo 3. Really interested to see the actual copies sold.

Keep in mind they sold a lot of limited editions for $100 plus too, as well as new controllers and other paraphernalia. I'd wager sales are below 4 million copies, maybe even 3.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The fact we just raised $500,000 in 1 week for HCS makes me SO happy for the pros. These guys must be so stroked seeing that. They deserve it :)

Lol gotta love the pr spin. Don't get me wrong halo 5 did well but they are spinning it like it was bigger than halo 3. Really interested to see the actual copies sold.

Keep in mind they sold a lot of limited editions for $100 plus too, as well as new controllers and other paraphernalia. I'd wager sales are below 4 million copies, maybe even 3.

Yeah honestly they got me good

Pr game is stronk

4v2 and up by 12 kills figured id kill some time on Orion and try to learn how to get the damage boost. Died a couple of times trying to get it and i got kicked from the game and now im banned.

Sighh

Does anyone find themselves being bad at this game that has been playing Halo since back in the day?

I think its because I've played the older Halo games (mostly 2 and 3) so much and Halo 5 so little that I cannot adjust to the little intricacies that this game entails without grinding. Oddly enough in the beta I was pretty good.

I am little late on this but why is the weekend social playlist going to be ranked? I was looking forward to not trying my ass off every game, just sitting back and relaxing with some friends that aren't that good at halo.

No not really. Poor poor aiming. Gimmicky equipment (you can already see where Bungie was heading with 3 and Reach) the worst campaign and Hollywood writing (too war). Compared to the amazingness of CE and the awesomeness of 2 3 was incredibly disappointing.

Honestly I think equipment was a great idea that was poorly executed and would love to see revisited. It could add another layer of strategy to maps and more depth to gameplay if useful equipment is contested the same way power weapons and power ups are. The only thing is that it would have to be stuff that doesn't just slow the game down like regen and bubble shield. Grav lift and deployable cover were great equipment and I'm sure they could come up with better.

The biggest issue for Halo 3 for most people, myself included, was always just the slow movement and shitty BR. Playing the MLG settings was a lot more fun because it kind of helped mitigate those problems.

Does anyone find themselves being bad at this game that has been playing Halo since back in the day?

I think its because I've played the older Halo games (mostly 2 and 3) so much and Halo 5 so little that I cannot adjust to the little intricacies that this game entails without grinding. Oddly enough in the beta I was pretty good.

I feel like if I don't play for a day, I need to readjust to the weird aim all over again.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Watching streams a few days before the release, i was very tempted to preorder and get the game day one, everyone seemed to be having so much fun.

Glad i didnt now. I think im gonna wait until christmas and see if 343 adds more content and fixes some of this issues people seem to be having. the aim glitch/bug/whatever is particularly scary to me, that could ruin the whole game for me if its something that i really notice like some people are saying. Game needs quite a few things to make it a solid HALO experience from what i am reading. 

Were you even around for the H2, 3.... hell even 1 launches? They all had far more content and worked perfectly.

Like CE had perfect competitive balance, more game modes and quality maps and made a brand new networking console system work flawlessly day 1 after only a year of FPS-only development and even less multiplayer development under Hardy Lebel. 343 got 3 years and hundreds of millions of dollars. I'm seriously at a loss for 343's ineptitude and the excuses this community comes up with to defend them. I understand games are more complex nowadays but really the Xbone was created to be much easier for programmers using bargain bin PC parts and software that they touted as being very easy to develop for.

Also after the MCC debacle they should get zero, absolutely zero slack whatsoever. The Halo brand is very damaged. They owed the community a perfect launch with a well balanced game with good maps along the lines of a classic Bungie title and they failed to deliver. Again.

Halo 1 competitive balance was by shear luck.  Bungie hated it and had a goal of destroying that in h2.  I still remember the E3 preview where they claimed the needler was viable in h2. Bungie was a bunch of noobs with no thumbs.  They had no clue when it came to competitive gameplay design, stuff was simply dumb luck.  They were good at designing innovative features such as rankings, custom settings, theater, forge, web/game stat interaction (remember h2 heat maps? not particularly useful but pretty interesting).

• Downvote (-1) 1

Some of the visors you can unlock are way too similar visually to Legendary, not that that's a bad thing, but it makes their rarity status pointless:

Dynasty and Clockwork look like minor changes to Master Chief's visor, only one is more amber-orange while the other is a faded bronze w/ green tinge...

I'm still incredibly confused.

Look at the spelling of updates in that image.

I feel like if I don't play for a day, I need to readjust to the weird aim all over again.

Tbh I haven't really noticed that too much. Its just the decision making in hectic situations. I watch a pro stream and they will do some super sick thing with the spartan abilities that I would have never dreamed of doing

This game has me curious about the future of the "sustain plan." They have content for sure coming until June, but what happens after that? What are the chances of them releasing an expansion pack of sorts next fall. Something that MS can market and push sales for, and keep the population of H5 alive. They seem to want to make halo a service similar to Destiny or CSGO, but I am curious as to how long they expect the "service" to last. 

an idea i had in my head today... i think for the future of online halo mp... this would be cool:

since 343 already created rank divisions for solo players, it would be awesome if they had team divisons.

You would create a spartan company, via ingame, one person would be team capt and invite up to 3 players.

Then you would play your placement matches, and be put into a division.

Monthly seasons to see how teams do, and at the championship level would be pro teams.

Now match format would be vastly different. This is where a time commitment would come into play. Each match would actually be a best of three or best of five before being able to search again.

Also, a forfeit the entire match option would be available so that if a team simply didnt want to go thru an entire best of series, they could be given an option to forfeit. This would drastically lower their rank tho and make ranking up tougher over time the more forfeits they do.

Thoughts on this ingame concept?