CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Prize pool is 1.5 million dollars already????!

Halo 5 broke sales record?!?!

Halo be standing tall right now

• Upvote (+1) 1

Lol! I was in a game of Team Slayer and these two guys were talking about how the magnum was overpowered because it beats everything. I tried to explain the them why it wasn't. They then asked "When has the Pistol ever been the best weapon to use off of spawn?" I said Halo 1. He then said "Who the fuck cares about Halo 1 that game is like 20 years old." The one game where I decide to use a mic and I regret it.

the scrub mentality is everywhere lol

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm having a hard time believing this beat sales records considering the amount of xbox ones there are compared to 360s at the time of previous halo releases

I'm having a hard time believing this beat sales records considering the amount of xbox ones there are compared to 360s at the time of previous halo releases

these figures include xb1 bundles

One week after launching worldwide, Halo 5: Guardians has made history as the biggest Halo launch and fastest-selling Xbox One exclusive game to-date, with more than $400 million in global sales of Halo 5: Guardians games and hardware

"Crackedoutkilla was the first to rack up a Killionaire – the highest spree medal we’ve got, and earning 10 kills within 4.5 seconds of one another. Leave some for the rest of us, pal."

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/community/blog-posts/post-launch-carnage-report

Ok, so which one is it @@Sal1ent - 4.5 seconds or 5 seconds? 

If 5 seconds, why?

If 4.5 seconds, why?

Why doesn't someone just test it?

Why doesn't someone just test it?

If would if my best editing software wasn't movie maker.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Prize pool is 1.5 million dollars already????!

Halo 5 broke sales record?!?!

Halo be standing tall right now

Too early to say the bigger they are the harder they fall?

I honestly feel like this game is going to die after a couple months. I hope it doesn't, but honestly the retention this game has is just too low.

Anyways, day 1 sales are all that matter right? As long as they're meeting their quota it doesn't matter what happens to the game after all the money is made.

Say what you want about Bungie but at least Halo 3 and to an extent Reach didn't feel like they were industry made. Regardless of game mechanics, both games had personalities. Halo 4 and 5 feel so Hollywood it's a shame. 

Probably the best way to describe 343 vs Bungie Halo that I've heard. The worst part is that 343 is actually a very good developer just maybe not for Halo. I wish Microsoft would retire Halo from a story standpoint, keep reiterating its multiplayer, and give 343 free rein to make a new IP of their choosing.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Lol! I was in a game of Team Slayer and these two guys were talking about how the magnum was overpowered because it beats everything. I tried to explain the them why it wasn't. They then asked "When has the Pistol ever been the best weapon to use off of spawn?" I said Halo 1. He then said "Who the fuck cares about Halo 1 that game is like 20 years old." The one game where I decide to use a mic and I regret it.

I feel like I was just bukkaked with ******. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

You have to pay close attention to the way they are portraying the numbers: "400 million in global sales of Halo 5: Guardians games and hardware" - in the past they just reported game sales. For reference H3 sold 300M the first week in games alone, but to get a fair comparison look at total number of hours played the first week. H5 players played 21Millions hours while H3 players played 40Million hours. So it looks to me like H5 is doing quite well to start but not H3 well. Still, they made 400M through game sales and derivative sales, and that's nothing to sneeze at. Halo is still a cash cow, which should make all of us happy because it means it will continue to be developed.

• Upvote (+1) 1

"Crackedoutkilla was the first to rack up a Killionaire – the highest spree medal we’ve got, and earning 10 kills within 4.5 seconds of one another. Leave some for the rest of us, pal."

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/community/blog-posts/post-launch-carnage-report

Ok, so which one is it @@Sal1ent - 4.5 seconds or 5 seconds? 

If 5 seconds, why?

If 4.5 seconds, why?

Well, you see, the 1th (firth, use your Mike Tyson voice...) couple of multikills are fives seconds apart, but then it drops to 4.5 to make the larger multikills harder to get?

I'm not saying this happens, but it might be an explanation for the confusion.

• Upvote (+1) 1

You have to pay close attention to the way they are portraying the numbers: "400 million in global sales of Halo 5: Guardians games and hardware" - in the past they just reported game sales. For reference H3 sold 300M the first week in games alone, but to get a fair comparison look at total number of hours played the first week. H5 players played 21Millions hours while H3 players played 40Million hours. So it looks to me like H5 is doing quite well to start but not H3 well. Still, they made 400M through game sales and derivative sales, and that's nothing to sneeze at. Halo is still a cash cow, which should make all of us happy because it means it will continue to be developed.

Sales don't equal good games though. Not saying that Halo 5 is amazing. But Halo 3 was shit compared to CE and 2.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Too early to say the bigger they are the harder they fall?

I honestly feel like this game is going to die after a couple months. I hope it doesn't, but honestly the retention this game has is just too low.

Anyways, day 1 sales are all that matter right? As long as they're meeting their quota it doesn't matter what happens to the game after all the money is made.

This is week sales not day 1

Sales don't equal good games though. Not saying that Halo 5 is amazing. But Halo 3 was shit compared to CE and 2.

Damn being too harsh to Halo 3 dont you think?

And yes game sales doesnt equal to game quality and your point is?

More specific Halo World Championship details went up on Waypoint: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/community/blog-posts/halo-world-championship-regions-prizing-update.

The first ever Halo World Championship kicks off this winter! Qualification for the global tournament will begin in December, with the grand finals culminating in March of 2016. The largest Halo tournament in history will discover the top teams from around the globe, with 16 teams at the final event. The various regions will be represented as follows in the grand finals:

• Top 8 teams from North America
  • Top 4 teams from Europe, Middle East, and Africa
  • Top 2 teams from Australia and New Zealand
  • Top team from Asia

hwc-infographic5_560-42d693c480b64086afa

• Upvote (+1) 2

Right, the "and hardware" is important, as this counts the H5-themed XB1 systems ... still, $400m is not bad at all for an XB1 exclusive, especially given the fact that there aren't as many XB1s out there as PS4s.  At $60 per game, I'd guess that 343 sold roughly 5m games and 200k systems in the first week.

Another point of comparison is first-week GTA4 sales ($500m across all platforms), and GTA5 sales ($1b in first three days across all platforms); the fact that Halo is even anywhere close to GTA, the best-selling multi-platform franchise per game (CoD is close behind) is impressive.  BLOP2 made $500m on its first day, took two weeks to get to $2b.    

Just speaking for myself, I'm buying used once Forge comes out (probably for $40 or so) ... they lost my week-one sale, and probably quite a few other people are annoyed by the H4 / MCC / H5 incomplete and/or glitched launch problems.  Also there will be a ton more sales around Christmas, I guess?

@@ImperiumVII @@Batchford @@Saustin and I pubstomped Ogre 2 in the Arena Slayer playlist earlier -- yes we won that game, and I got a frenzy too ;).

Granted the map was Orion, and his teammates were randys. lol.

Clip of us roflstomping from Imperium's PoV: xboxdvr.com/IMPERIUM+VII/81594a3b-a2bd-46dd-b104-d55d5553ebb8

Ogre 2's PoV (starts 57 m : 56 s): http://www.twitch.tv/ogre2/v/23844966

Game: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo-5-guardians/xbox-one/mode/arena/matches/ae6577cb-d223-48de-b170-c2a958f75f73/players/i7uji?gameHistoryMatchIndex=3&gameHistoryGameModeFilter=Arena

I was just looking through Bret's game history and saw that game.  Awesome!  Grats on the win.

If would if my best editing software wasn't movie maker.

Give it the ol' Mississippi.