CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I appreciate that a line of communication has been opened up, wholeheartedly in fact. 

The problem is that I don't think that there is anything to discuss. We can go back and forth about sprint all we want, but the truth is I'm pretty sure the person who decided to put sprint into the game is some corporate hack up the ladder, and nothing's going to get done by telling Josh, "sprint ruins map design because it completely skews the speed at which players can enter battle". 

Eh, I dunno. 

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I appreciate that a line of communication has been opened up, wholeheartedly in fact. 

The problem is that I don't think that there is anything to discuss. We can go back and forth about sprint all we want, but the truth is I'm pretty sure the person who decided to put sprint into the game is some corporate hack up the ladder, and nothing's going to get done by telling Josh Menke, "sprint ruins map design because it completely skews the speed at which players can enter battle". 

Eh, I dunno. 

Wrong Josh?

The problem is that I don't think that there is anything to discuss. We can go back and forth about sprint all we want, but the truth is I'm pretty sure the person who decided to put sprint into the game is some corporate hack up the ladder, and nothing's going to get done by telling Josh Menke, "sprint ruins map design because it completely skews the speed at which players can enter battle". 

Eh, I dunno. 

The question is, are you gonna change the sig back to the original, except with a dual picture of Josh and Quinn?

Hey, that's amazing, kudos to him, but my problem was with analyzing a 30FPS youtube video

:P

Aren't you from GAF? Saw you in a discussion there. Anyways, hope you have had a good time here on the forum.

Okay I can understand the issue of map stretching and sight line issues as a result of sprint, however what makes sprinting away from a bad spot any different then strongsiding away from a bad spot? Both make it so that you can live by choosing to end an engagement don't they? 

Strongsiding is different in the sense that you're giving up your ability to shoot back for the sake of defense. Sprinting is giving up your ability to shoot back for the sake of defence PLUS extra speed. 

Sprint is implemented as a core mechanic of the game because basic map movement requires it, strongsiding requires looking into deeper into the game and analyzing how other players improve their survival rates. It promotes learning and self-improvement, while sprint essentially babies people around and promotes chaos due to the less predictable movement options.

If you don't have increased movement speed on a small map, it's important to stay near cover:

adb89a4091f50e0b73f452837940b68b.png

Meanwhile, if you can sprint away, your escape options are multiplied and become unpredictable. It doesn't require being as aware of your surroundings.

105f4764e860574b5b44cfa1252e3767.png

Do note that the circles aren't proportionate to how much sprint increases your speed compared to default speed, just gives an idea.

If you missed that part, chaos and randomness isn't very fun to watch, let alone competitive.

No offense but... really?

Guy, relax, lol.

Gotta discuss these kind of things and look at the game for what it is, because otherwise, no one else will. If 343 wants a good game and wants our help making it, breaking it down to this level is necessary and I'm sure others consider it educational anyway.

I'm sure you've had some moments where Halo made you go "what the fuck was that about" and if not for the people looking into these things and the weird oddities, you would never have an explanation for it. It's 100% fine if you're not interested in it, though. It's just knowledge made available for others and took a solid 3 minute investigation for me.

• Upvote (+1) 8

The problem is that I don't think that there is anything to discuss. We can go back and forth about sprint all we want, but the truth is I'm pretty sure the person who decided to put sprint into the game is some corporate hack up the ladder, and nothing's going to get done by telling Josh, "sprint ruins map design because it completely skews the speed at which players can enter battle". 

Eh, I dunno. 

At this point, I'm more curious than hoping to see changes.

• Upvote (+1) 1

@@Batchford Yes I am! Same name. :P Thanks! Love it here so far.

@@Vetoed fair enough man, keep on keeping on. I wouldn't take the vid too seriously though, some things I did notice:

We finally get a Killzone chirp on kill! Great, IMO. I love it. 

No more audio hit markers on anything.

No more reticule for ground pound, makes it much harder and awesome skill-wise. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

At the end of the day, I'm only looking into this stuff because I'm interested in this game and passionate about Halo overall. I know there's room for error in analyzing the video, but it's unfortunately all we have until the beta, so it'll have to do for now.

Not really trying to take a stab at 343 at every chance I get, despite that's what it may sound like. I just want this game to be skillful and competitive because I'm losing interest in making these posts with every release.

• Upvote (+1) 1

@@Batchford Yes I am! Same name. :P Thanks! Love it here so far.

@@Vetoed fair enough man, keep on keeping on. I wouldn't take the vid too seriously though, some things I did notice:

We finally get a Killzone chirp on kill! Great, IMO. I love it. 

No more audio hit markers on anything.

No more reticule for ground pound, makes it much harder and awesome skill-wise. 

Only thing 343 need to change audio wise is the shield beeping when one shot, and the shield regen noise. Please bring back the classic noises! @@Deez @@Sal1ent

(No offence to the new noises, but it has been 13 years, the old noises are not replaceable)

Also while we are talking about cosmetic things, can Hitmarkers please go? We have shield flares, and it just makes Halo feel more unique if we use the glowing of shields to judge weakness. Thanks for creating accounts guys, shows that you are dedicated to making a game for the competitive fan base.

• Upvote (+1) 2

343i/MS has made a conscious and deliberate decision to keep sprint in halo, no amount of feedback will change that, move on.

To suggest removing sprint, or to beg for a response from 343i is just pointless, if you really want to do something constructive suggest tweaks and adjustments only.

Strongsiding is different in the sense that you're giving up your ability to shoot back for the sake of defense. Sprinting is giving up your ability to shoot back for the sake of defence PLUS extra speed. 

Sprint is implemented as a core mechanic of the game because basic map movement requires it, strongsiding requires looking into deeper into the game and analyzing how other players improve their survival rates. It promotes learning and self-improvement, while sprint essentially babies people around and promotes chaos due to the less predictable movement options.

If you don't have increased movement speed on a small map, it's important to stay near cover:

adb89a4091f50e0b73f452837940b68b.png

Meanwhile, if you can't sprint away, your escape options are multiplied and become unpredictable. It doesn't require being as aware of your surroundings.

105f4764e860574b5b44cfa1252e3767.png

Do note that the circles aren't proportionate to how much sprint increases your speed compared to default speed, just gives an idea.

If you missed that part, chaos and randomness isn't very fun to watch, let alone competitive.

Great response. From what I've seen (I could be completely wrong) sprint seems to have less of in an increase on speed in Halo 5 then in Reach or 4 so the circles might be pretty similar in size. Also with the recent news of Halo 5's sprint having a 1 second buildup in which your sprinting will stopped if you are shot that reduces the randomness even more. 

Also why is every one hounding Josh Holmes for an explanation as to why sprints in the game?  We might not like it, but sprinting today is a feature kids expect in a fps when the put the disk in the tray. Sprint has become something to expect in an fps game. As soon as it starts he asked me "How do I sprint?". He didn't ask "How do I call in my care package?" or "How do I wallrun?" or "How do I double jump?" Because you average console FPS'er understands that those features are unique to their specific games, however to him not being able sprint is like not being able to jump.  

When a kid puts any of these games:

• COD
  • Battlefield
  • Far Cry
  • Destiny
  • Titanfall 
  • Killzone 

into his Xbox he'll have sprint and ADS. 

Now imagine how offputting it would be for your average 2014 console gamer to be put into an FPS with out those two features?  "But MaceX42, Halo 4 had sprint, and it failed to retain players!" I understand, however lets not pretend like sprint was the only short coming of Halo 4. 

I hate sprint as much as the next guy, however to pretend like you don't already know the answer to "Why does 343 put it in?" is a little silly. And to say adding sprint is "appealing to the cod-generation".... well duh! I can guarantee you that if all popular FPS's had sprint in the late 90's then Microsoft would have pushed 343 to include sprint in Halo CE just like they are doing today with 343 and Halo 5.

The truth is; people like us who enjoy no sprint, no ads, no bullshit are not longer the majority of the FPS market. It's sad but its true. 

Clarification: I'm not defending sprint, just pointing out that to expect for it not to be in the game is sadly misguided. 

• Upvote (+1) 7

Gotta discuss these kind of things and look at the game for what it is, because otherwise, no one else will. If 343 wants a good game and wants our help making it, breaking it down to this level is necessary and I'm sure others consider it educational anyway.

I'm sure you've had some moments where Halo made you go "what the fuck was that about" and if not for the people looking into these things and the weird oddities, you would never have an explanation for it. It's 100% fine if you're not interested in it, though. It's just knowledge made available for others and took a solid 3 minute investigation for me.

I love learning this stuff.  I wish there were a lot more analysis's like these on the forums instead of just "___ team is doing ___" or "check out my montage" threads.

Thinking about it, H5's Sprint might actually add something to the meta. You gotta think about weather or not you want to build up that Sprint and then hit the guy, because you might get shot out of Sprint during the build up and then potentially die.

I might actually be swayed about Sprint for the first time in 4 years. Will have to play the game obviously, but it sound's excellent on paper.

(prepares for the neg nuke)

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Thinking about it, H5's Sprint might actually add something to the meta. You gotta think about weather or not you want to build up that Sprint and then hit the guy, because you might get shot out of Sprint during the build up and then potentially die.

I might actually be swayed about Sprint for the first time in 4 years. Will have to play the game obviously, but it sound's excellent on paper.

We could all go on for days debating if H5 can work with sprint or not. The only true way to know is to play for yourself and then decide. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

We could all go on for days debating if H5 can work with sprint or not. The only true way to know is to play for yourself and then decide. 

Think about it, off the rip on a map like midship, if you try and sprint in high level play, you will just get gunned down.

I think it will play like Halo, not only that, but competitive Halo.

I am really excited to play the Beta now. Holy CRAP.

Just wondering, is it just me, or do the changes to the geometry on Midship look more like they were meant to accommodate thruster and clamber than sprint? 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Again, if they would just bring back momentum based melee damage and perhaps allow people to shoot while sprinting (would have to lock down sprint direction this way though) sprint would have an actual offensive use, the main problem with Sprint is it's defensive/evasive nature so making it better for aggressive play would be ideal.

From someone with realistic expectations, please listen 343i.

Again, if they would just bring back momentum based melee damage and perhaps allow people to shoot while sprinting (would have to lock down sprint direction this way though) sprint would have an actual offensive use, the main problem with Sprint is it's defensive/evasive nature so making it better for aggressive play would be ideal.

From someone with realistic expectations, please listen 343i.

Honestly, in the right plays, combined with thruster it can be an aggressive tool.

It is a two sided sword; Balanced.

With the proper tweaks, this game can honestly be sick.

Honestly, in the right plays, combined with thruster it can be an aggressive tool.

yes it can be, but bringing back CE's melee system and allowing people to shoot while sprinting/thrusting would make them play better, your right about halo 5 being capable of being good, that's why I made my suggestion, so they could make it good.

yes it can be, but bringing back CE's melee system and allowing people to shoot while sprinting/thrusting would make them play better, your right about halo 5 being capable of being good, that's why I made my suggestion, so they could make it good.

I think you should not be allowed to shoot while sprinting, but you should be allowed to do it while thrusting.

Momentum Melee should be brought back, and it would just make sense in this game. We should push for these two things when the beta comes.

I think you should not be allowed to shoot while sprinting, but you should be allowed to do it while thrusting.

Momentum Melee should be brought back, and it would just make sense in this game. We should push for these two things when the beta comes.

I'd enjoy having Momentum back (less ridiculous lunge?). I've had less tradeoff kills.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

I miss Momentum. I had less tradeoff kills.

It encourages more gun play tbh, but only scrubs go for the 2 hit melees in H3 anyways.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2