CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Had to do it.

That's exactly what I'm thinking everytime I hear the name. Thanks for that! ;)

• Upvote (+1) 1

Is one still slowed down when shot in H5 while sprinting? Over all my rage about sprint I can't remember it lol.

https://twitter.com/JoshingtonState/status/543580030492606464

https://twitter.com/JoshingtonState/status/543580298311512066

https://twitter.com/JoshingtonState/status/543580461465755649

https://twitter.com/JoshingtonState/status/543580780186705920

Holy shit, you stop Sprinting entirely if you're still building up momentum.

• Upvote (+1) 7

I love the visual style. I like the tron look. I just hope that 1) We can change the yellow part of the pieces to a different color (photoshoping it to Red makes it look awesome imo) and 2) We can change the look of the floor to something different. If you look, the floor now uses a grid pattern which I think is to combat the Z-Fighting problem that forge has had in the past.

I haven't put a lot of thought into the floor. I'm assuming 343i isn't going to make forge a significant difference from the past forge mods we've had. Right now i'm gonna assume that is that it's going to be a large open floor and you can choose the size of the map within the open floor. I'm not gonna bet on it, but since Reach, at least, we've been asking for a colour palette. It should be simple for them to integrate, and i'm not talking about the whole piece, but just where there's yellow. 

If you have to jump through a thousand hoops to make Sprint useless, why even bother having it?

To appease the "modern gaming crowd" that thinks that first person games feel uncomfortable when they don't have it at all. Based on a little bit of questioning that I've been doing, this crowd is bigger than I had would previously thought.

Hey this is Josh from 343. I lurk here all the time (I read the forums daily) but this is my first post. Please go easy. :)

Sprint isn't useless, but as I put in my tweet, we have tried to balance it so that using it for escape takes skill and can be countered by a skilled opponent in most situations. It's a careful balancing act.

Internally it is playing really well but we want to see how it plays in the wild. Looking forward to reading your feedback once you've had a chance to play!

We're gonna need a timestamp.

Hey this is Josh from 343. I lurk here all the time (I read the forums daily) but this is my first post. Please go easy. :)

Sprint isn't useless, but as I put in my tweet, we have tried to balance it so that using it for escape takes skill and can be countered by a skilled opponent in most situations. It's a careful balancing act.

Internally it is playing really well but we want to see how it plays in the wild. Looking forward to reading your feedback once you've had a chance to play!

Just here to confirm this is actually Josh Holmes.

:chiefdancing:

• Upvote (+1) 1

Just here to confirm this is actually Josh Holmes.

:chiefdancing:

Now he can have my +rep

Edit: Within minutes of eachother, a CLG series win, Josh Holmes is posting on the forums, AND a new Bulletin. I think I'm in heaven.

He's real.

Thanks for joining!

Why do you want to be able to escape a bad decision though? You're supposed to die or outgun, not run.

Halo is interesting when you think about your pushes and get punished for not thinking and/or planning ahead or commit to a stupid decision. Sprint also has the negative effect of stretching map and sight lines, requiring you to buff the range on various weapons, such as automatics, and make melees even stronger (E.G. spartan charge), throwing balance out of the window.

Sprint unbalances the game more than it brings anything good to it. What's the logic behind keeping it despite what most people seem to think?

• Upvote (+1) 8

Hello Josh welcome!

Its good to see DEVs talking to the Community. You're brave coming to the forum at this point in time.

Anyways I would like some technical information as to why Sprint is still in Halo? Please do not give only me, but the community some feed back on why such a controversial function, that was never in Halo in the beginning, should still be in Halo. Also given the fact the last two Halo games with sprint Halo failed in the competitive sector.

The community awaits your response thank you!

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Well look at that, it really is him. Thanks for responding for the forums, we really do appreciate it. Count me in the "anti-sprint" crowd personally, but as you say, I'll be waiting until the beta to truly judge how it feels. Will deliver as good technical feedback as I can during the time.

Just one question though: personally I'm not a fan of how the mechanic affected the size of the Midship remake. This is my biggest issue with sprint and I know I'm not alone in this feeling either. Are there still going to be smaller maps around the size of H2 maps as we used to know them, ones where sprint isn't emphasized nearly so much? (Not sure I'm asking this right.)

And welcome to the forums!

• Upvote (+1) 1

No matter the balancing, sprint doesnt work in halo. Take it out, or enjoy killing your franchise.

• Upvote (+1) 9
  • Downvote (-1) 2

If you have to jump through a thousand hoops to make Sprint useless, why even bother having it?

Just because there's options to counter it does not make it useless. You can still reach point A to point B faster by sprinting. AT least you need to put some thought into using it and players can actually try doing something about them sprinting away(like not missing a shot so they can't sprint). 

Now that i know you stop sprinting when getting shot and your shields don't go up, i don't mind it at all. 

Complaining about how it's useless(which again i don't think it is) could potentially cause a buff which is something i don't want. Less powerful sprint is the better imo.

The Ground Pound reticle has been removed! Pretty cool change in my opinion, definitely makes it more difficult.

@4:50

http://youtu.be/7avhwt-5SBU?t=4m50s

Awesome. I may not be a fan of ground pound as I've viewed it so far, but this seems like a great middle ground to make it have a much more pronounced skill gap. All this news is getting me hyped for the beta. Still not entirely sold on the one-hit kill, though.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Hi @@Sal1ent. What you are telling us isn't really as important as the answer to Why?

What problem does sprint solve that you guys are willing to put up with all the problems sprint presents?

(Not the least of which is driving fans away...)

• Upvote (+1) 2

Just because there's options to counter it does not make it useless. You can still reach point A to point B faster by sprinting. AT least you need to put some thought into using it and players can actually try doing something about them sprinting away(like not missing a shot so they can't sprint). 

Now that i know you stop sprinting when getting shot and your shields don't go up, i don't mind it at all. 

Complaining about how it's useless(which again i don't think it is) could potentially cause a buff which is something i don't want. Less powerful sprint is the better imo.

Halo was fine with out sprint. If wanted to splay a game with out sprint then I would play COD or Battlefield and the tons of other games with it.

EACH game COD, Battlefield, Halo had their own niche.

Halo = Arena Shooter

COD = Arcade Shooter

Battlefield = Tactical Shooter

The gaming industry goes to shit when everyone tries to be like each other, simple as that. 

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Halo was fine with out sprint. If wanted to splay a game with out sprint then I would play COD or Battlefield and the tons of other games with it.

EACH game COD, Battlefield, Halo had their own niche.

Halo = Arena Shooter

COD = Arcade Shooter

Battlefield = Tactical Shooter

The gaming industry goes to shit when everyone tries to be like each other, simple as that.

They also had their own feel but halo is rapidly losing its feel to CoD.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I still don't get it. It's obvious that sprint is only in for the people who will stop playing halo 5 after a week either way. How many people who buy Halo only/mostly for the multiplayer like sprint? No sprint won't hurt sales so I don't get it.

Sprint in campaign is fine but I don't know why they're actually considering putting it in MM again.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I still don't get it. It's obvious that sprint is only in for the people who will stop playing halo 5 after a week either way. How many people who buy Halo only/mostly for the multiplayer like sprint? No sprint won't hurt sales so I don't get it.

Sprint in campaign is fine but I don't know why they're actually considering putting it in MM again.

Yes. We don't know WHY?

Thus the $20,000,000 question.

If @@Sal1ent answers just that question alone it would put to rest one of the greatest questions leveled against 343.

I don't believe people appreciate the gravity of that question. That one question will answer so many others with just one sentence.