CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

For anyone wondering, this is what you have to go through to make a montage now:

1. Player has to live cap the clips since theater messes up the way the shots look.

2. They then have to send you the clips (typically several GBs for an average number of clips) via mega or otherwise.

3. To get angles for Warzone you literally have to play Warzone until you get the right map as the right team, stage the angle in game, and then capture the angles after in theater.

Previously the player just put the clip on their File Share.

It looks like theater is entirely handled by the cloud servers, based on how their is no "host player" for any particular theater file. All the first person perspectives look like an off-host player from any of the old theater systems.

Such a shame, it's something I thought we wouldn't have issues with. My mistake for assuming we'd be hitting the bar set by an old generation console.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Of course we don't know for sure what the plan is for Req in future games, but to think it's not possible that the current system is an entry point to a more invasive system in the future is just short sighted.

I suggest anyone who's interested in hearing a solid argument against Req packs listen to the entire review, as this won't do it much justice, but here are some of the other points Angry Joe brought up in the review:

- They removed cosmetic content that has always been available at launch.  You now can only earn them through Req Packs. 

- It removes incentives to complete achievements to unlock armors, which devalues the efforts of completionists (if you see someone with a cool armor, it's not because they earned it, it's because they got lucky).

- A Req system is not necessary to provide free maps or support esports.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I keep seeing everyone complain about the aiming....What exactly is wrong with it. I've been playing since launch and i really don't see anything wrong. All my shots register perfectly. 

It looks like theater is entirely handled by the cloud servers, based on how their is no "host player" for any particular theater file. All the first person perspectives look like an off-host player from any of the old theater systems.

Such a shame, it's something I thought we wouldn't have issues with. My mistake for assuming we'd be hitting the bar set by an old generation console.

It still makes no sense to me how the theater can be out of sync when it's being compiled on the same system that the actual game is being processed on.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Of course we don't know for sure what the plan is for Req in future games, but to think it's not possible that the current system is an entry point to a more invasive system in the future is just short sighted.

I suggest anyone who's interested in hearing a solid argument against Req packs listen to the entire review, as this won't do it much justice, but here are some of the other points Angry Joe brought up in the review:

- They removed cosmetic content that has always been available at launch. You now can only earn them through Req Packs.

- It removes incentives to complete achievements to unlock armors, which devalues the efforts of completionists (if you see someone with a cool armor, it's not because they earned it, it's because they got lucky).

- A Req system is not necessary to provide free maps or support esports.

1. What?

2. Achievement unlocks and req packs dont have to be mutually exclusive. I agree that they faltered there though.

3.Its not. But it helps.

Anyone know when Episodes 5 and 6 of 'The Sprint' were scheduled to release?

End of the month

I guess I forgot I'm playing Halo 3. Sorry for the bad shots, I was a bit distracted being bullshitted lol.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/FeaR%20PureVisioN/video/12516448

Also, note the score here. Exactly why I still think it's a bad idea to not have any social games where I can't play with friends who don't play this game (I was playing with some Gears of War players) to contest people who are in Onyx and Champion level.

I know there has been people that have said just make a new account, but I bs you not, I keep doing that and I keep getting put RIGHT back in Onyx. I think the only option here is to get an account, purposely piss people off on my team and get put in Silver or something. But I'm not going to lie, I'm probably not gonna do that because I would be livid if someone did that to me.

1. What?

He's referring to armor.  There's typically been many armors to choose from before you even start playing.  In this game you have to play or pay to unlock them, and even then you have to get lucky to get the armor you want.  He estimated it would take 600+ hours in arena to unlock all of the armor.

I guess I forgot I'm playing Halo 3. Sorry for the bad shots, I was a bit distracted being bullshitted lol.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/FeaR%20PureVisioN/video/12516448

Also, note the score here. Exactly why I still think it's a bad idea to not have any social games where I can't play with friends who don't play this game (I was playing with some Gears of War players) to contest people who are in Onyx and Champion level.

I know there has been people that have said just make a new account, but I bs you not, I keep doing that and I keep getting put RIGHT back in Onyx. I think the only option here is to get an account, purposely piss people off on my team and get put in Silver or something. But I'm not going to lie, I'm probably not gonna do that because I would be livid if someone did that to me.

There's a reason Halo 5 came with 14 days of gold lol

I don't think you know what balance means.

I'll just agree to disagree with you there, especially if you think the AR and Pistol is just fine the way it is.

There's a reason Halo 5 came with 14 days of gold lol

Not sure what you're even talking about. I have Gold and I have 1000 accounts already, I think you missed my last paragraph.

I'm generally confused by some people in these forums lol. They want it to be more arena fps-like but a traditional arena is fast movespeed with fairly bad starting weapons. You move fast to compensate and get health and armor pickups on the map along with other, better weapons which can include viable automatic weapons.

Yet they also want the opposite of an arena fps by making a CE-esque starting weapon so weapon pickups on the map are nerfed by comparison and no automatics should be usable outside of back smack range.

Halo 5 is the closest to an arena shooter we've gotten out of the series. Halo CE reversed the arena model by giving players a starting weapon that outclassed almost every other weapon in the game. It works really well for CE but the halos afterwards have been increasingly worse. Halo 5 is a step in the right direction. It still needs balancing tweaks but goddamn the game's been out less than a week lol. Even a game updated as frequently as LoL only gets one every 2-3 weeks.

solid post!! I think the majority in this community never played true arena shooters.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Halo is its own thing.

Trying to make it too much like Call of Duty OR Quake will end in suffering for everyone.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

It still makes no sense to me how the theater can be out of sync when it's being compiled on the same system that the actual game is being processed on.

I don't think it is compiled on the same system (if I'm understanding what you mean correctly).

From my understanding, past Halo games recorded your actors gameplay actions at a very high frequency, while only recording a rough approximation of other players actions, which were already needed to convey their position in your gamestate. All of this occurred on your Xbox.

The new system has every game on a dedicated server that is both hosting and "spectating." In other words, it's recording that rough approximation for every player, there is no high frequency recording done locally anywhere within the system. This is just my assumption based on how the theater files look. It would make sense if they were trying to preserve processing power on the box, and thus opted to offload the theater recording to the dedicated servers.

Either way, it's worse than before, which is dumb.

I keep seeing everyone complain about the aiming....What exactly is wrong with it. I've been playing since launch and i really don't see anything wrong. All my shots register perfectly. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

Halo is its own thing.

Trying to make it too much like Call of Duty OR Quake will end in suffering for everyone.

What do you think inspired halo ce?

What do you think inspired Quake and other FPS before it? This isn't a good rebuttal for a debate. Games need to be their own thing, not direct copies or simulations of other experiences.

That's just my opinion though. I have a feeling most will not agree.

@@mdawg The only problem is we don't have an arena FPS or CE-esque game here. The starting weapons are too strong to be an Arena FPS and the pistol too weak and the AR too strong to be CE-esque.

Halo is its own thing.

I could stand to see it much much more like Quake.

• Upvote (+1) 1

What do you think inspired Quake? What do you think inspired Doom?

Wolfenstein/Doom/Quake is kind of the origins of FPS tbh. The genre was called "Doom clones" before "FPS" was even a term. I'm not saying that argument is great or anything, but those aren't the best examples.

What do you think inspired Quake and other FPS before it? This isn't a good rebuttal for a debate. Games need to be their own thing, not direct copies or simulations of other experiences.

That's just my opinion though. I have a feeling most will not agree.

but that's why hce was so great, they made a true or at least, semi true arena shooter for consoles. post hce, the series got further and further away from an arena shooter.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Lag compensation

The shot on host registers a split second after whatever you saw against where the opponent used to be

I thought you were some self professed FPS expert

Well I mean, a 30-shot BR would be a bigger test of skill, but we're decreasing the kill times to help improve the flow of the game.

if that were the goal, we'd play swat and call it a day.  the BR being so easy to use, it should remain a 4sk.

this.  halo is basically quake filtered through a limited controller and console.

Like, I'm getting used to the aiming, but it's still not GOOD.

And I'm finding in FFA if I find someone in a shorter battle range, if I get a perfect kill, I'm no shields. If I don't perfect, I die, unless the player windmills his AR.

That's sort of the problem right now. The risk/eward of the pistol vs AR is way out of what in typical battle ranges. The effect is exacerbated by the maps.

Yup, same exact impression for me. I'm Onyx in FFA so everyone more or less knows what they're doing; if you try to use a pistol in any 1v1 over short/medium-short range the AR either wins or you get cleaned up easily by the next dude to stroll around the corner, which is always because there's 8 people in the game instead of 6.

Look at the post game stats, I've found whoever wins almost always has some some small positive k/d, like +4 or something. Nobody is going on huge sprees outplaying their opponents because every encounter leaves you a sitting duck for the next guy. I've had to tell myself to go against my instincts and always chase or over-extend to get a kill because it's almost always worth the risk.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Wolfenstein/Doom/Quake is kind of the origins of FPS tbh. The genre was called "Doom clones" before "FPS" was even a term. I'm not saying that argument is great or anything, but those aren't the best examples.

The only point I was trying to make was that each major evolution of the genre was it's own beast, Wolfenstein, Doom, Duke Nukem 3D, Quake, etc. Of course they came with clones or direct copies though, definitely.