CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I wish they put some sense of actual development into spectator mode. Feels like they got it working and didn't feel a need to take it any further.

Sucks to see one of the most requested features just completely half assed, especially given 343s investment in the competitive scene (HCS, World Championship)

I wouldn't say I'm hopeful it'll ever get updated but I definitely think it's something they should prioritise before major events start to happen.

This is seriously a must. Spectator mode could take Halo Esports to the next level, but they've given us this alpha version of a feature. It's pathetic. Why even release it if it's going to be in that state? Why is it that Treyarch and Riot Games can get this right but 343 can't?

This video pissed me off. This shit is garbage...seriously. What the fuck is that? This is not the halo I grew up with...nope. Guess what other game you can run around in an FFA and go to work with automatics? Try as they may those gamers will never abandon that franchise for halo...let it go...please.

I'm going to sleep, because that video...wow...smfh. This is Halo in 2015. Those are the same settings in Arena. Same weapons. Garbage.

Yeah man, that shit pissed me off too.

Because of the automatic situation, I'm not going back into The FFA playlist until it's fixed. I originally went in there to get some much needed practice with the pistol, but if I can't even get 4 shots off with the damn thing while being shot with an AR, then there's no point in even trying.

Is it just me or is there something really wrong with the spawn system.. it's atrocious in FFA, seems like 20% of the time I spawn in someone's sightline and start getting shot before I can press Y to switch to pistol. It's present in the other playlists as well but it isn't as glaring as it is in FFA.. Maybe I just don't understand it yet. But I have a feeling 343 has no idea what they're doing in regard to spawns and map flow. 

Remember when they told us they specifically made this spawn system as good as it could be? And that if we got a bad spawn (which would rarely happen they assured us) we should tell them so they can fix it? Well guess what 343, the entire game's spawning system blows. You really see the issues in SWAT and FFA. Why would they tell us they spent all this time perfecting spawns when they are so obviously atrocious? So many questions.

This video pissed me off. This shit is garbage...seriously. What the fuck is that? This is not the halo I grew up with...nope. Guess what other game you can run around in an FFA and go to work with automatics? Try as they may those gamers will never abandon that franchise for halo...let it go...please.

I'm going to sleep, because that video...wow...smfh. This is Halo in 2015. Those are the same settings in Arena. Same weapons. Garbage.

I just tried this method.... this fucking game, man. lmao 

Not to mention the fact that you can manipulate the fuck out of the spawns on Pegasus. Kill guy in top red room. Run down stairs. Run back up stairs. Kill spawner. Rinse and repeat.

CSt2yJNUwAA9Ef0.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 2

Is it just me or is there something really wrong with the spawn system.. it's atrocious in FFA, seems like 20% of the time I spawn in someone's sightline and start getting shot before I can press Y to switch to pistol. It's present in the other playlists as well but it isn't as glaring as it is in FFA.. Maybe I just don't understand it yet. But I have a feeling 343 has no idea what they're doing in regard to spawns and map flow. 

No, it's not just your imagination. It's definitely fucked.

It seems like, and I could be wrong, that the FFA playlist maps don't have FFA dedicated spawns. They seem to be regular 4V4 spawns. Which just doesn't work.

The funny thing is that if 343 wanted to, they could easily make the spawning system work in FFA. Just look at Warzone, it's a very chaotic game mode, with constant gun fights, yet I've never gotten a bad spawn that just screwed me.

Look for yourself: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/community/blog-posts/community-update-the-light-is-green

"To make sure we have safe locations for players to spawn on capturable Warzone Bases, we place spawn points in three groups we call “rings”. The first ring is made up of spawns placed inside the base. These are the highest priority spawns that are most commonly selected by the engine when the player selects the base as a spawn location. If there is combat inside the base, however, the engine will ignore spawns in the first ring and instead evaluate spawns in the second spawn ring. This second ring is comprised of spawns placed just outside the base. Our third ring is the failsafe ring and contains spawn points significantly further away from the base. Our spawn engine will only spawn players in the third ring if combat around the base is so chaotic that all spawn points in the other two rings are suppressed."

343, apply this to the FFA playlist, pl0x.  

Edit: Grammar errors, God I'm sleepy.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Rockets are actually underpowered. How the guck do you manage that?

The pros might have something to do with that. They're all about Halo 2 and Halo 3 (both of which had paper rockets) and think Halo 1 is just a spawn-killing game.

I'd say that other than buffing the pistol, what would be most appropriate for Halo 5 is button glitches that made our spartans more lethal. 

This game needs dubshot, quadshots, BXRing, BXBing, and the grenade throw glitches that were present at launch during Halo 4. Not only would this widen the skill gap, it would counter balance how agile these spartans are.

I completely disagree. If you're going to add a feature, don't fuck it up by pushing it under the guise of a "hard glitch". Complexity for the sake of a skill gap does not help the game. In the programming world, we have a saying for this: keep it simple.

For instance, take DotA 2 for example. There's a "glitch" mechanic called orb walking that's essentially animation canceling for attacks. Even though it provides a clear advantage for players, it's a skill that's easy to learn and utilize. They aren't forced to jump through a number of complicated hoops to make it work, it's something that they can naturally acquire through gameplay. The only skillgap that it has is learning the correct timing, which is different between heroes.

In Halo 2, the meta was essentially forced to focus around the button combo glitches. If you couldn't do them, you were at a clear disadvantage, since they made up for the multiplayer's flaws. If the game had a viable sandbox and good balance to begin with, players wouldn't have been forced to use them.

For the sake of the game's health and the sanity of the players, it'd be much better if Halo 5 completely avoided Halo 2's disastrous button combos. At the most, any combos added should be more like the thrust grenade, something that's simple to learn, but very effective if you can master it. If you really want a weapon to have a double-shot ability, it should be added as a feature, or the desired results of said-feature (faster kill times) should be achieved through actual changes to the weapon (aka a buff).

TLDR; adding double-shots and other button combos to the Magnum won't help the game as a whole. The inherent issues still exist, and all it'll do is make the game less accessible, both to the new and the current players. The best way to address the issue is the simplest one, target the root of the problem and fix it from there.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

At this point, I feel like some of you guys are just deliberately complaining about anything you can latch onto.

The spawn system works fine in 4v4. SWAT has "atrocious spawns" due to the extremely fast spawn times. There's constant action so you shouldn't ever expect to be safe. This issue can easily be fixed without changing spawn system. It's a pacing issue. I'll be honest and say I haven't played SWAT, but I've watched several games from decent players.

In Free for All, there are 7 enemies spread out across the map instead of 4 that are usually in the same general area. The "atrocious spawns" has been like this in every Halo game when you play Free for All. I don't understand how this is a shock to anyone.

You shouldn't expect amazing spawns in either of those playlists.

With all due respect Clicked, there is something legitimately wrong with the weapon sandbox, and the spawning in FFA. Lowering the amount of participants to 6 would help, but it isn't too much to ask for a decent spawn system in an FFA, especially with how large some of these maps are.

There's also no reason for a map like truth to not be in the FFA playlist. It has plently of isolated space for good 1V1 battles.

Unlike Orion.

>_>

• Upvote (+1) 1

Also, there's no way that excluding unranked arena playlists wasn't a calculated move by 343. I think that's part of their schtick: try to make us complain about different things each title, so they can label us hypocrites and then have (in their mind) a justifiable reason to consider our feedback invalid. We spent Reach and Halo 4 (rightfully) bitching about the lack of ranked playlists, now they go in and take the problem to the other extreme in Halo 5 and will privately (maybe publicly) cry "B-b-but we're giving them what they asked for! Woe is us! :(" on the matter. It's basically a game of the flip-the-wish.

inb4 tinfoil hat

• Upvote (+1) 2

But to add to the: "Biggest issue in this game." discussion. I'm going to have to say that it's the weapon sandbox. 

- Automatics are way too powerful:

Tell me of any other halo game where you could run around in an 8 Spartan FFA using nothing but automatics and win. That's not Halo.

- The pistol, our utility weapon, needs a buff. It's the hardest precision weapon in the sandbox to use, which is fine. Although it should award people that stick with it. In CE it was a good idea to keep your magnum, a good idea to keep your BR in 2 & 3, a good idea to keep your DMR in Reach, etc. It however isn't good practice, or apart of the current meta to keep your pistol off spawn. The difficulty of use doesn't counter balance it's effectiveness. It needs to be a 4SK. Players who stick with the pistol and master it should be rewarded with devastating slaying power. Due to how agile these Spartans are, this game needs it.

Which brings me to my next point.

- TTKS

I'd say that other than buffing the pistol, what would be most appropriate for Halo 5 is button glitches that make our Spartans more lethal. 

This game needs dubshot, quadshots, BXRing, BXBing, and the grenade throw glitches that were present at launch during Halo 4. Not only would this widen the skill gap, it would counter balance how agile these Spartans are.

Also, fuck Orion.

If you try to play like that in ANY other map you get destroyed.

Now that I've played the game, I'm pretty sure that if you buff the pistol to a 4sk you completely destroy the weapon sandbox, no other weapon would be ever useful. The pistol is already a utility weapon, it's the best weapon for most situations and than you have weapons which are better for close quarters ad others which are better for long range. Ar's shouldn't be part of the starting weapons, that's the main problem for me, either that or they need to nerf it a little more.

Are you seriously suggesting button glitches? That's never gonna happen.

• Downvote (-1) 1

I completely disagree. If you're going to add a feature, don't fuck it up by pushing it under the guise of a "hard glitch". Complexity for the sake of a skill gap does not help the game. In the programming world, we have a saying for this: keep it simple.

For instance, take DotA 2 for example. There's a "glitch" mechanic called orb walking that's essentially animation canceling for attacks. Even though it provides a clear advantage for players, it's a skill that's easy to learn and utilize. They aren't forced to jump through a number of complicated hoops to make it work, it's something that they can naturally acquire through gameplay. The only skillgap that it has is learning the correct timing, which is different between heroes.

In Halo 2, the meta was essentially forced to focus around the button combo glitches. If you couldn't do them, you were at a clear disadvantage, since they made up for the multiplayer's flaws. If the game had a viable sandbox and good balance to begin with, players wouldn't have been forced to use them.

For the sake of the game's health and the sanity of the players, it'd be much better if Halo 5 completely avoided Halo 2's disastrous button combos. At the most, any combos added should be more like the thrust grenade, something that's simple to learn, but very effective if you can master it. If you really want a weapon to have a double-shot ability, it should be added as a feature, or the desired results of said-feature (faster kill times) should be achieved through actual changes to the weapon (aka a buff).

TLDR; adding double-shots and other button combos to the Magnum won't help the game as a whole. The inherent issues still exist, and all it'll do is make the game less accessible, both to the new and the current players. The best way to address the issue is the simplest one, target the root of the problem and fix it from there.

Very well, then what would you say should be done for TTKs across the board? Up the rate of fire for precision weapons, while also making the pistol 4 shot?

Also, there's no way that excluding unranked arena playlists wasn't a calculated move by 343. I think that's part of their schtick: try to make us complain about different things each title, so they can label us hypocrites and then have (in their mind) a justifiable reason to consider our feedback invalid

You honestly believe that 343 is going to intentionally hurt their game just so they can say we don't know what we're talking about?

I'm pretty sure the millions of dollars they've invested in Halo 5 isn't worth the satisfaction of calling internet critics hypocrites.

• Upvote (+1) 2

You honestly believe that 343 is going to intentionally hurt their game just so they can say we don't know what we're talking about?

What was their reason for intentionally hurting Halo 4, then?

The pistol is a good weapon and feels great to use but the AR is just to strong, versatile and easy in comparison...

I'm seeing a higher percentage of pistol kills in Warzone then in the supposedly"competitive" arena...is that really how this game should be played?

If you try to play like that in ANY other map you get destroyed.

Now that I've played the game, I'm pretty sure that if you buff the pistol to a 4sk you completely destroy the weapon sandbox, no other weapon would be ever useful. The pistol is already a utility weapon, it's the best weapon for most situations and than you have weapons which are better for close quarters ad others which are better for long range. Ar's shouldn't be part of the starting weapons, that's the main problem for me, either that or they need to nerf it a little more.

Are you seriously suggesting button glitches? That's never gonna happen.

Do I honestly think that button glitches will ever return? Nope. But I'd still like to see it.

Also, I'm very confident that running around with an AR would work on any other map. Find a friend a test out it's range in a custom game. Also, if 343 only buffed the pistol's damage then it wouldn't break the sandbox. It'd still be outclassed by other weapons at longer rangers, and it'd still be more difficult to land shots with it.

As of now, the current meta is to abandon the pistol for the first precision weapon that you see. A starting utility weapon in Halo has never functioned this way.

Is there anyone who prefers the 4 to this? I still haven't played...surely its much better than the 4?

..... You think it was intentional, rather than just incompetence? :huh:

Both. I mean you can't look at 343's entire track record and seriously claim that they don't have an agenda with at least some shit. The only reason the competitive community has any voice at all is because of how badly Halo 4 bombed. I think it's clear that 343 would rather be doing BTB/warzone stuff all day every day. Frank O'Connor clearly considers the competitive community a pain in the ass and little else. I get more or less a similar vibe from every other employees who has something to say on the matter except for the pro team and maybe Quinn.

Back to the post I responded to... how does no ranked playlists hurt the game in the long run? How many will actually stop playing the game because there is no unranked arena playlist? What other possible logical reason could there be for such a setup?

Is there anyone who prefers the 4 to this? I still haven't played...surely its much better than the 4?

It's leagues better than 4. And way better than vanilla Reach as well. There's still some really dumb shit in the game though.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It probably is because i haven't played Halo a lot in the past but I don't understand why everyone has stuff to complain about. I find the game very enjoyable and sure there is flaws but come on. Without the popularity of forums everyone would just enjoy the game like we used to do a while back.

I haven't played any FFA in 5 yet, but I've noticed a huge amount of weighting on where your teammates are in team games.