CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

The ranking system is complete gambling if you search alone, literally the way you play has 0 effect on the outcome. I'm really enjoying halo 5 but I'm going to have to stop playing soon if there is constantly a placement/noob/quitter making every game an auto-lose. Already the worst ranking system for any halo game just because of this.

• Downvote (-1) 1

I can see where you're coming from, but there is no faster way to scare away top competitive players than imposing this restriction.

I don't even get online before I know I have 3 other friends online to play MM with. I can guarantee most of my friends do the same.

this. i don't get how anyone would ever think matching random people with parties is a good idea, specifically in a competitive playlist where ranks are huge. Until then champion level tier is going to be pros/people who run 4s all day.... sigh

Hey guys I'm getting this weird glitch where the pistol kills in 5 shots instead of 4 and the aiming is garbage they should fix that opieop.png

Yea me too. We must just be bad at Halo and should learn how to play. I mean, I'm so new to Halo so I must not know what I'm talking about. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I can see where you're coming from, but there is no faster way to scare away top competitive players than imposing this restriction.

Works fine in League of Legends. Seriously, are you saying that the Arena ranking system should be based off of whether you have a party or not?

I have TWC. Make sure you forward your ports and open your NAT. I haven't had any problems since.

Make an Astro Gaming Quick Tip video.

/s

• Upvote (+1) 3

As nice as these "seasonal" and "division" ranks sound, and as much as the current community seems content with it being the metric to measure player against player, the debates from 5 years ago are evidently long forgotten. It is essentially what started the demise of Halo, while in Bungie's hands. H2/H3 ranking system IS the ideal ranking system that should be tweaked. Not completely overhauled into something that just flat out doesn't work. Seriously, a game in 2004 delivered a ranking system and matchmaking system (player skill vs. player skill) better than anything that 343 can muster despite all of the support and all of the resources from everything that Microsoft can throw at 343.

Resident math/ranking system nerd, reporting in.

So Halo 2 had a great ranking system, no doubt, but it wasn't as complex or impressive as people seem to think. For a full read, this is all you need. Before reading however, you'll see the term "Experience" thrown around and it's bullshit. That experience is just a placeholder for "ELO rating", because Halo 2 used a simple ELO formula to determine how people gained and lost "experience" (ratings).

If you scroll through that post, you'll eventually find a table that lists levels, min XP, and max XP. This says that a player with 6800 XP (an ELO rating of 6800, essentially) is a level 36 because it falls between the range of 6750 and 6999. All this means is that Halo 2 was an ELO system that used 50 divisions - it's not that amazing/groundbreaking. Just really, really segmented.

I won't talk much about it but Halo 3 threw ELO out of the window and started to factor in teammates more than just win/lose. Boosting existed because the system would think you were carrying a horrible person, but in reality they were great but had an account with a shitty win/lose record. The more games you played at your level, the harder it was to move up/down because the game figured you were placed accurately as your win/lose comes closer to 50%. That's the goal of any ranking system - to narrow your win/lose to 50%.

Halo 5 is basically Halo 2's ranking system with 30 larger divisions (Bronze 1 to Diamond 6) and then Onyx, which shows your actual number, and then Champion which can technically be considered outside the spectrum of the divisions. While your division at or below Diamond 6 is far more broad than your Halo 2 rating would have been, it's no less accurate. But really, Onyx and Champion ratings are the most accurate rating you'll have in any Halo ranking system. To my previous example, if you had 6800 XP in Halo 2, you were shown as 36. That's great but if I had 6900 in Halo 2, I was also a 36 but technically better than you by a sizable margin.

tl;dr - Halo 5 ranking at Diamond 6 and lower are not as precise as Halo 2's 1-50 system, but Onyx+ is the most accurate rating a Halo ranking system has ever had, visible to the players.

Also, the reason people keep getting placement people in their games is because those first 10 games, your ELO is all over the place as it tries to narrow you down. I would like to see them patch this by keeping placement matches out of at least Diamond and higher level gameplay, as in no one should ever come out of placement any higher than Platinum 6. But for the record,this narrowing down will continue well into Season 1 and after placement matches are over. It's why everyone is able to rank up/down so quickly right now. Slowly the system will tighten up on where you really stand.

Edit: There's also really no excuse for not having To3 and To4 party restrictions. Also, seasonal reset is kinda... eh, but it's there to encourage people to come back. If done properly, you play 1-10 games and just get your rank back. Your ELO should never actually reset.

i live in northeast ohio and also have time warner but i haven't had a single problem (wired)

Ditto to all this, but I hate TWC. My WiFi once dropped to 10% of my wired speed. When I called, they told me that speed decreases can be expected over WiFi, even up to a 90% decrease. Trying to switch to Uverse cause it's fuck all else out in Brunswick.

Wait so whats the point anymore? Are tournaments invite only to pros now? Online only? No lan?

Haha I had hope but the negativity here just kind of drained it all. 

Stay dead.

• Downvote (-1) 4

Getting used to the Pistol now, but the aiming still kind of sucks. Also is there a chance we can just have Pistol starts and no AR? Shits lame.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Works fine in League of Legends. Seriously, are you saying that the Arena ranking system should be based off of whether you have a party or not?

Non-mobile forums have completely stopped working for me so I will have to make this quick. What you are suggesting means that I can never play Arena gametypes with my friends conveniently. This is the worst idea I have ever heard.

Unless you add in two playlists. One for solo/duo queue and one for team queue. That would be cool, but it would inflate the playlists too much.

What happened to Empire, Truth, and Eden? I haven't played those maps once in this game.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Non-mobile forums have completely stopped working for me so I will have to make this quick. What you are suggesting means that I can never play Arena gametypes with my friends conveniently. This is the worst idea I have ever heard.

Unless you add in two playlists. One for solo/duo queue and one for team queue. That would be cool, but it would inflate the playlists too much.

Something happened with the forums and ad blocking, if you are using uBlock Origin, click this little eye icon on the bottom. 

MkGC4yL.png

• Upvote (+1) 1

What happened to Empire, Truth, and Eden? I haven't played those maps once in this game.

They aren't in slayer playlist.  Objective only.  Because 343 is dumb.

Love the fact I can search solo and not worry about running into 4's or my rank because there's a social playlist.  Oh wait I can't.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Having fun playing this game that's for sure.

Same here. Whenever I have free time I find myself playing H5. Loving it so far.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Parties not matching other parties is going to kill the population faster than longer search times ever could. It's incredibly frustrating to match full teams when you search solo, especially since everything is ranked now.  

Really enjoying the balance between the AR and pistol atm. Posting up and getting the drop on someone with the AR feels so rewarding.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2