CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Aim acceleration, aim assist/auto aim and bullet magnetism are the devil. 

Pretty typical with console/controller games... 

I feel dumb for just realizing your name means "Halo 5 Honeymoon". I'd spent the past few days thinking it was like, "Halo 5 sticky stuff' or something. Fak.

Halo 5: Nobody Can Say "No"

We'll make sure of it

• Upvote (+1) 1

My opinion on this game so far is that we've merely been given a foundation for what could be, should be, and hopefully will be, a great Halo game.

Why did they put a flag into breakout... the camo is all you neem to play for. get camo and you win 100%. really op

I actually clutched a 1v3 round by capping the flag, and my friends and I have won a couple rounds by flag, out of like 20 games.

doesn't happen often, but its pretty hype when it does.

Halo 5: Nobody Can Say "No"

We'll make sure of it

What's the punishment if I say "no"?

well, we wanted stricter bans.

Upvoted. Gave me good chuckles.

Everybody is losing their minds over being able to aim and hit shit, me, I wondering why Halo 5 three years in development can't have the UI, Customization, and Feature Set that was in Halo Reach 5 years ago. I'm totally serious. 343 please see following reference on what I'd say is a fairly complete feature set for a hardcore "casual" anyway:

As a software developer i can answer this. Halo 5 was rewritten from scratch, with a completely new engine built for 60FPS and for a brand new hardware. And this time it was all done in-house without outsourcing. Probably a lot of the development time was spent creating the engine. Therefore, features from previous games can not simply be copied and pasted into Halo 5's code. Everything has to be rewritten, which takes time and money. Probably they did the best they could within the deadline set by Microsoft for the game's release. Halo 6 should have more features out of the box, because the engine is ready. It might be adapted in some points, but the bulk has been done. So if you think the game has fewer features than it should have at launch, blame Microsoft, not 343. Game developers (and software in general) always work under a lot of pressure from publishers. They have a limited budget (yes, limited), limited human resources and a deadline to meet, and they must have the job done.They have far less autonomy in decisions that are made during the development, than most here seems to believe. So, ideas like: "if Halo X had the feature Y, years ago, there is no reason for Halo 5 not have the same feature at launch",  are completely nonsense. Things don't work this way in the software development world. Everything costs money, time and resources. That's why the Xbox One was initially released without many of the features the Xbox 360 had for years. It was a brand new system with a brand new OS written from scratch

• Upvote (+1) 11
  • Downvote (-1) 4

Would he really, though...

Ghost already came in and defended it, regardless.

While also denying you of that glorious  hat you wanted... :ghost:

• Upvote (+1) 1

As a software developer i can answer this. Halo 5 was rewritten from scratch, with a completely new engine built for 60FPS and for a brand new hardware. And this time it was all done in-house without outsourcing. Probably a lot of the development time was spent creating the engine. Therefore, features from previous games can not simply be copied and pasted into Halo 5's code. Everything has to be rewritten, which takes time and money. Probably they did the best they could within the deadline set by Microsoft for the game's release. Halo 6 should have more features out of the box, because the engine is ready. It might be adapted in some points, but the bulk has been done. So if you think the game has fewer features than it should have at launch, blame Microsoft, not 343. Game developers (and software in general) always work under a lot of pressure from publishers. They have a limited budget (yes, limited), limited human resources and a deadline to meet, and they must have the job done.They have far less autonomy in decisions that are made during the development, than most here seems to believe. So, ideas like: "if Halo X had the feature Y, years ago, there is no reason for Halo 5 not have the same feature at launch",  are completely nonsense. Things don't work this way in the software development world. Everything costs money, time and resources. That's why the Xbox One was initially released without many of the features the Xbox 360 had for years. It was a brand new system with a brand new OS written from scratch

"Software Developer"

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 3

Just saying, the Halo 3 engine was just as new as the Halo 5 engine is.

• Upvote (+1) 8

So, I played a few games of H5 FFA...

I didn't notice the aiming thing everyone was talking about. 

Overall, from the FFA games I've played, I'd say Halo 5 is pretty bad. Maybe 4-5 / 10. Pistol is weak, hardly even outclasses the AR at mid range. Spend tons of time sprinting around the map searching for people. Map feels small and cluttered, while simultaneously feeling vast and empty. It's like you go 10 seconds without seeing anyone, and then suddenly there's 4 people all next to eachother ARing everything.

The main issue I have is really just how weak the pistol is. Basically any encounter with an AR kid will leave you without shields. I can't see myself playing this game for more than a week. Not my cup of tea. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

?

343 revealed in one of their updates an emblem that people will get if they get an Onyx or Champion in a playlists

Halo 5 was rewritten from scratch, with a completely new engine built for 60FPS and for a brand new hardware

Source?

Every previous Halo was built off of the previous title's engine.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Source?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure 343 couldn't have created an entire new engine of H5's caliber in 3 years or however long they were developing it.

For reference, Unreal Engine has been in development for 17 years. You don't simply write a new engine from scratch. That's absurd to think they did that.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Just saying, the Halo 3 engine was just as new as the Halo 5 engine is.

halo 3 was built off of halo 2, 343 claims to have created an entirely new engine.

Am I the only one who thinks nades are a little too strong? It feels like its so easy to get kills with it with its blast radius feeling like the Reach Beta nades.

Lol, Probably.

halo 3 was built off of halo 2, 343 claims to have created an entirely new engine.

Every developer says that because technically it's true. DICE and Bethesda say the same thing. It makes no sense to start from scratch and not build off of the previous engine.

Source?

A leap of 30fps to 60fps on an game engine is much bigger than you guys think. Indeed, one of the big reasons for the absence of split screen is exactly that. The engine was built from the ground for 60 fps and they couldn't manage to make it run at 30fps with split screen. While possible, it is really hard and laborious. Probably they came to the conclusion that the development cost was not worth it

They have a limited budget (yes, limited), limited human resources and a deadline to meet, and they must have the job done.They have far less autonomy in decisions that are made during the development, than most here seems to believe. So, ideas like: "if Halo X had the feature Y, years ago, there is no reason for Halo 5 not have the same feature at launch",  are completely nonsense. Things don't work this way in the software development world. Everything costs money, time and resources. That's why the Xbox One was initially released without many of the features the Xbox 360 had for years. It was a brand new system with a brand new OS written from scratch

How do you figure they have a limited budget? Halo 4 sold over 8 million copies, generating a ton of money for 343, so it's hard to believe they would be limited at all financially. That and the fact they're backed by Micro$oft. As far as the Xbox One goes, there is zero excuse for it releasing with less features than the 360. Microsoft has all the money and resources in the world and the Xbox One could have been absolutely amazing day one if they wanted it to be.